While shift workers and essential care workers work around the clock in the fight against COVID-19, the very nature of their work increases their risk of developing COVID-19. But not how you might think.
Close contact with the virus itself increases the chances of catching COVID-19 data from Melbourne and Victoria clearly shows that, with almost 20% of COVID-19 cases identified in healthcare workers.
But its the work schedule that many of our essential workers live by that might create an additional challenge.
Read more Study turns the spotlight on to shift workers' heart health
Being a shift worker requires people to eat and sleep out of synchronisation with the body clock. On a personal level, these routines can be difficult to adapt to, leading to disrupted eating and sleeping habits. Metabolically, the consequences of circadian disruption" increase disease risk.
Our research has shown that just by going to work, the risk of weight gain and developing obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular problems are higher in shift workers.
It appears that being obese is associated with all stages of the COVID-19 spectrum, from having a greater risk of testing positive, being hospitalised, requiring critical care, through to death.
We need to look no further than Australia to see clear evidence of this. In a study of English, New Zealand and Australian nurses, 25.5% of Australian nurses surveyed were classified as obese (a body mass index or BMI of 30 or above). This is higher than in non-shift-working populations.
We currently have funding for a four-year National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) project the SWIFt Study that is investigating a range of weight-loss strategies for shift-working populations to try to identify one that may be better-suited to their lifestyle.
This study is actively recruiting rotating nightshift workers across Melbourne and Adelaide Now, this study has taken on a greater level of significance, with data emerging linking obesity with poorer COVID-19 outcomes.
In novel data emerging from studies around the world and summarised in a recent review, it appears that being obese is associated with all stages of the COVID-19 spectrum, from having a greater risk of testing positive, being hospitalised, requiring critical care, through to death.
Data from 19 studies that specifically examined the association between weight status and hospitalisation showed that being obese resulted in patients being more than two times more likely to be hospitalised after infection with COVID-19.
In my opinion, we have a challenge on our hands. The necessity of these workers, in dealing with a pandemic such as COVID-19, puts them at greater risk of exposure through their work environment. The more experienced these workers are, the more valuable they are in the workplace, especially under pandemic conditions.
But longevity in a shift work role is strongly associated with a growing risk of becoming obese and, inadvertently, a compromised ability to deal effectively with the medical challenges COVID-19 poses if exposed.
The reality is that we are asking a lot of our shift-working population, more than perhaps any of us have ever really considered previously.
Read more: Obesity: Rethinking what it means to be fat ... and skinny
Our SWIFt Study is a six-month weight-loss intervention for shift workers. Its the biggest study of its kind in the world. Participants work with research dietitians to follow one of three weight=loss programs. Weve recruited about 100 participants so far, but are looking to extend that number up to 400.
Interestingly, COVID-19 has caused us to re-examine how we run our clinical trials, and the SWIFt Study now has a much more flexible approach to enrolment and engagement with the study team. Many of our visits have been moved to telehealth, reducing travel time for participants, and increasing our capacity to recruit more widely.
Our team believes its critical to prioritise the health of our healthcare workers. While as a population we have, in the past six months, dealt with a number of new lifestyle behaviours with the introduction of compulsory face masks, social distancing and hand washing, prioritising metabolic health seems to have been lost.
Maintaining a focus on the importance of good nutrition will have implications for the management of future pandemics, and not just in healthcare workers. But ensuring we have a well-informed and health-aware workforce is imperative.
Read more: Hunger games: The challenges of keeping the weight off
Weight-loss as a behaviour change is hard work. We all understand this. In the SWIFt Study, because of this, were trialling three different strategies, because its not one-size-fits-all.
But COVID-19 has also taught us that we can make behavioural changes to improve health things such as masks and social distancing. We think its time to put the focus back on nutrition, an area that impacts shift workers more than most. We think theres a greater general understanding now that being overweight is unhealthy. There needs to be much more said about this.
As COVID-19 wanes in Australia but is still out of control elsewhere in the world, the importance of developing weight-loss strategies in this population group is important and timely for healthcare workers and patients.
- The biggest weight loss transformations of 2020 - Fox News - December 31st, 2020
- 6 foods that boost your metabolism and may help you lose weight - Insider - INSIDER - December 31st, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Size, Share, Growth Trends, Revenue, Top Companies, Regional Outlook, and Forecast, 2020-2027 - LionLowdown - December 31st, 2020
- 12 Side Effects of Eating Oatmeal, Say Dietitians | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - December 31st, 2020
- Global Nutrition And Weight Management Products Market insights from profiling key companies based on financial position, product portfolio, and... - December 31st, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Top Leading Companies, Consumption, Key Drivers, Challenges and Trends Forecast to 2027|- Ajinomoto Co,... - December 31st, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Weight Management Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Herbalife, Johnson Health Tech,... - December 31st, 2020
- Upgrade your weight loss plan by adding these winter foods to your diet - Times Now - December 22nd, 2020
- Balance by BistroMD review: Pros and cons - Medical News Today - December 22nd, 2020
- Weight Management Market Shows Boosted Growth Rate in Forecast to 2026 | Coherent Market Insights - The Monitor - December 22nd, 2020
- Keto Weight Loss: What to Expect After 1 Week - Healthline - December 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Market Global Status and Business Outlook 2020 to 2027 - LionLowdown - December 20th, 2020
- Talking to Kids about Weight: What the Internet Says and Why Researchers Are Wary - DrexelNow - Drexel Now - December 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Per - GroundAlerts.com - December 20th, 2020
- Intellihealth: Integrates Population Management with Primary Care to Enhance Weight Loss Outcomes - MedicalResearch.com - December 20th, 2020
- The Healthiest Diets of 2020, According to Experts | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - December 20th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market 2020 | (COVID 19 Analysis) Offered In New Most recent Research Report with... - December 20th, 2020
- MannKind and Vertice to Co-Promote Thyquidity (levothyroxine sodium) Oral Solution - GlobeNewswire - December 20th, 2020
- Associations of time-restricted eating with health-related quality of life and sleep in adults: a secondary analysis of two pre-post pilot studies -... - December 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Market Overview, Growth, Demand and Forecast Research Report to 2026 - The Market Feed - November 27th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Weight Loss and Diet Management Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Weight Watchers,... - November 27th, 2020
- 3 Important Things to Lower Weight Loss Surgery Risks - TheHealthMania - November 27th, 2020
- 12 Ways To Prevent Holiday Weight Gain This December - Longevity LIVE - November 27th, 2020
- Middle East & Africa Egg White Powder Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysis By Grade, Distribution Channel, and... - November 27th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Reports Globe - Cheshire Media - November 25th, 2020
- Stress Weight Loss: Causes, Treatment, and Prevention - Greatist - November 25th, 2020
- Age is not a barrier to losing weight, study finds - Atlanta Journal Constitution - November 25th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market 2020 Industry Challenges Business Overview And Forecast Research... - November 25th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Weight Management Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study 2026 - The Haitian-Caribbean... - November 25th, 2020
- Add more plant-based options to your diet with this healthy 7-day flexitarian meal plan - Insider - INSIDER - November 25th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts Of Covid-19 On Women Weight Management Market Effects, Aftermath And Forecast To 2026 - Eurowire - November 25th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Health and Weight Management Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Herbalife, Weight... - November 25th, 2020
- SavvyWP.com Highlights the Importance of Weight Management Over the Holiday Season - The News Front - November 25th, 2020
- Weight Loss Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2027, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - Khabar South Asia - November 25th, 2020
- Weight Management Packaged Food Market Size, Analysis, and Forecast Report 2018 to 2028 - The Market Feed - November 25th, 2020
- Collagen Market Worth $7.53 billion by 2027- Exclusive Report Covering Pre and Post COVID-19 Market Analysis by Meticulous Research - GlobeNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Global Weight Management Devices Market Report 2020 Significant Trends and Factors Driving the Market Development Forecast to 2027 - ICOTodayMagazine - November 24th, 2020
- Weight Management Market With Top Countries data : Evolving Technology, Trends and Industry Analysis 2026 | Herbalife International Inc., NutriSystem... - November 24th, 2020
- Weight loss: I gave up my biggest addiction Maggi and lost 20 kilos in 5 months with diet control and workout! - Times of India - November 24th, 2020
- High-protein total replacement diet helps burn fat: Here's how you can switch to it for effective weight loss - Times Now - November 24th, 2020
- Advances in the diagnosis and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease - The BMJ - November 24th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Market Expected To Reach Highest CAGR by 2026 : Weight Watchers, Abbott Nutrition, The Coca-Cola, Pepsico,... - November 24th, 2020
- Could people achieve remission of type 2 diabetes without needing to lose weight? - On Medicine - BMC Blogs Network - November 24th, 2020
- Online Weight Loss Programs Market will surge to the highest levels By 2027 - PRnews Leader - November 24th, 2020
- Kaleb Wesson: 'I can operate the pick-and-pop at the highest level' - Hoops Hype - November 24th, 2020
- What Is the Healthiest Bread? - msnNOW - November 24th, 2020
- Winning isn't always about taking first, sometimes it's about being there at all - Williston Daily Herald - November 5th, 2020
- 5 Tips to work your way out of a food rut - TheHealthSite - November 5th, 2020
- Menopause Weight Gain: Is It Inevitable? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - November 5th, 2020
- Innerme's Organic Plant-Based Sports Nutrition Supplements Debuted This Month at ECRM's Annual Vitamin, Weight Management, Beverage & Sports... - October 22nd, 2020
- Trends Of Weight Management Packaged Foods Market Reviewed For 2020 With Industry Outlook To 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 22nd, 2020
- INNOVIOM Debuted Tranquini and Wowie Relaxation Beverages at ECRM's Annual Vitamin, Weight Management, Beverage & Sports Nutrition Program for... - October 22nd, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Product Market to 2026: Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications - News by Decresearch - October 22nd, 2020
- There's a New Reason You Can't Lose Weight, According to Science - Best Life - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Nutrition And Weight Management Products Market 2020-2026 Trends, industry vertical, along with the geography, delivering valuable insights. -... - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Weight Management Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by Forecast 2026 |... - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market Expected To Reach xx.xx Mn By 2026: Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness, Brunswick... - October 22nd, 2020
- Bongmi Group launches InFasting App - A Powerful and Effective New Digital Intermittent Fasting Tool - PRNewswire - October 22nd, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts Of COVID-19 On Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Effects, Aftermath And Forecast To 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 22nd, 2020
- Weight Management Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts To 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 21st, 2020
- Aerobic Vs. Anaerobic: Which Is Better For Weight Loss And Performance? - generationiron.com - October 21st, 2020
- This Weight Loss Method Could Add Years to Your Life, New Study Finds - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss & Weight Management Market 2020 Size, Share, Regional Growth, Trends, Methods, Applications, Equipment vendors, Business Prospects and... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness, Brunswick... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Weight Management Supplements Market by Industry Trends, Statistics, key Companies Growth and Regional Forecast by 2026 - TechnoWeekly - October 21st, 2020
- Global Weight Loss Management Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by Forecast... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market Growth And Threats Analysis 2020 By Regional Overview Of Leading Companies, Types,... - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market to Register Steady Growth During 2017 to 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Forecasts To 2027: Global Industry Growth, Share, Size, Trends And Segmentation Report - Stock Market Vista - October 21st, 2020
- The best time to walk for weight loss - Times of India - October 16th, 2020
- Weight loss: Woman loses 5st and credits belly fat loss to this simple diet - Express - October 16th, 2020
- Weight Management Market at a Rapid Growth Pace Until 2027 With Top Companies to Watch Out in COVID 19: Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness,... - October 16th, 2020
- Pain Management, Weight Loss and Other Benefits of Drinking Less Alcohol - News18 - October 16th, 2020
- Doing This Each Morning Is The Key To Weight Loss - KYR News - October 16th, 2020
- How Weight Management Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And... - October 16th, 2020
- Boehringer Ingelheim and Yale Clinical and Translational Research Accelerator collaborate to explore potential benefits of digital health technologies... - October 16th, 2020
- Livongo to Release Results for the Third Quarter of Fiscal Year 2020 - BioSpace - October 16th, 2020
- Walking At This Time Can Help You Lose More Weight - Yahoo Canada Shine On - October 16th, 2020
- Weight Management Products Market Overview and Scope 2020 to 2025 | FinancialContent Business Page - Financial Content - October 16th, 2020
- Global Mobile Weight Loss Market Report 2020: Digital Solutions Transform the Weight Loss Industry and Chronic Care - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - October 16th, 2020