By Kathleen Goodwin, RD
For many people weight loss is a chronic endeavor. All too often the shedding of pounds is a temporary event followed by a steady regain of lost weight. Most popular diets are unsuccessful in the long run because they fail to address the multi-faceted nature of what successful, permanent weight loss entails. Luckily, research has revealed many invaluable strategies which can help increase your odds of permanent weight loss. While no single article can possibly cover this vast subject, we have provided links to excellent weight loss programs and books which are backed by clinical research, and can significantly help you in your quest. We also encourage you to browse through our hand-picked award links to learn more about the best strategies you can incorporate for long term weight loss success.
It's nothing new, but exercise is probably the most important predictor of whether you will succeed at long term weight loss and weight loss maintenance. In order for exercise to be helpful in weight loss, you should strive for a minimum of five 30 minute sessions per week. The good news is that recent research has shown that three 10 minute sessions in a day are as good as one 30 minute session. This helps many in combating the old "no time for exercise" excuse. Be certain to find something you enjoy. You'll be more apt to stick with it. Try walking with a friend, joining an intramural sports league, participating in outings with a group like The Sierra Club, or trying some classes at your local gym. Once you give exercise a chance, you will begin to enjoy its positive benefits on your psyche as well; you will literally become "hooked."
Having trouble getting a workout in? Why not try one of these Diet Channel recommended programs:
We chose to list this separately from the "exercise" category because of the significant weight loss benefits attached to weight training in and of itself. The basic equation is this: the more muscle tissue you have, the more calories you will burn. This is why world class weight lifters must eat thousands of calories a day to maintain their weight. Muscle is active tissue, fat is not. Thus, muscle "burns" a significant number of calories each day for its own maintenance. In her book Strong Women Stay Slim, Miriam Nelson, a Tufts University researcher, showed that a group of women who followed a weight loss diet and did weight training exercises lost 44% more fat than those who only followed the diet. While aerobic activity can help burn calories, muscle's where it's at when it comes to giving your metabolism a significant daily boost even at rest.
Read Cardio and Strength Training: How do you create a balanced routine? to find out how best to pursue numbers 1 and 2 above in tandem.
Keeping a food diary can be a huge asset in successful weight loss. Devote some time each day to record what you have eaten and how much, your hunger level prior to eating, and any feelings or emotions present at the time. A food diary can provide a large amount of self-awareness. It can identify emotions and behaviors that trigger overeating, foster greater awareness of portion sizes, and help you discover your personal food triggers. Study any patterns that emerge from your food diary and identify where you may be able to make more healthful changes. A food diary provides an added benefit of keeping you focused on and committed to your goals. Start keeping a food diary today by printing our food diary.
Many people become more successful at long term weight loss when their motivation changes from wanting to be thinner to wanting to be healthier. Change your mindset to think about selecting foods that will help your body's health rather than worrying about foods that will affect your body's weight. The Food Pyramid offers a basic outline of the types and amounts of food you should eat each day to give your body the nutrients it needs for optimal health.
All too often overeating is triggered by stress, boredom, loneliness, anger, depression and other emotions. Learning to deal with emotions without food is a significant skill that will greatly serve long term weight control. The Solution, a book and national program developed by Laurel Mellin, RD, helps participants to identify their eating triggers and respond to them without food. A research study showed that the participants in this program demonstrated a better rate of long term weight loss maintenance than those who simply diet and/or exercise and don't address behavioral and emotional issues. Chronic over-eaters and "emotional eaters" can be significantly helped by learning new behavioral skills such as those Mellin presents. You can also seek help with behavioral and emotional eating issues from a licensed counselor or psychologist in your area.
A big key in long term weight control comes from receiving encouragement and support from others. You can check to see if groups such as Jenny Craig offer programs and resources in your areas. You may also wish to check with your local hospital to see if their registered dietitian conducts group weight loss programs.
With the advent of "super-size" meals and increasingly huge portions at restaurants, our concept of normal serving sizes is a distant memory. Be mindful of the amounts of food you consume at a sitting. When necessary, divide your food in half and ask for a take home bag. It is all too easy to be a "plate cleaner" even when served enormous portions. Learn to pay attention to your hunger level and stop eating when you feel comfortably full, not stuffed.
Try to remember that "losing 15 pounds in two weeks" is nothing to celebrate. It is important to realize that the more quickly weight is lost, the more likely the loss is coming from water and muscle, not fat. Since muscle tissue is critical in keeping our metabolism elevated, losing it actually leads to a decrease in the amount of calories we can each day without gaining weight. Fat loss is best achieved when weight is lost slowly. Strive for a weight loss of no more than 1-2 pounds per week. One pound of weight is equivalent to 3500 calories. By making small changes like eliminating 250 calories a day from food and expending 250 calories a day from exercise, you can lose one pound (of mostly fat) per week. You can calculate how much time you need to exercise to burn 250 calories by clicking here. You can calculate your caloric needs by clicking here, and then subtract 250 from that number.
Did you ever notice that thin people take an awfully long time to eat their food? Eating slowly is one method that can help take off pounds. That's because from the time you begin eating it takes the brain 20 minutes to start signaling feelings of fullness. Fast eaters often eat beyond their true level of fullness before the 20 minute signal has had a chance to set in. The amount of calories consumed before you begin to feel full can vary significantly depending on how quickly you eat. So slow down, take smaller bites and enjoy and savor every tasty morsel.
We've known for some time that limiting high fat foods in the diet can be helpful with weight loss. That's because fats pack in 9 calories per gram compared to only 4 calories per gram from proteins or carbohydrates. To many, the message to limit fats implied an endorsement to eat unlimited amounts of fat-free products. Just to clarify, fat-free foods have calories too. In some cases fat-free foods have as many calories as their fat laden counterparts. If you eat more calories than your body uses, you will gain weight. Eating less fat will help you to lose weight. Eating less fat and replacing it with excessive amounts of fat-free products will not.
For more information on high-fat foods you should continue to eat, even when trying to lose weight, see the following article from TheDietChannel: Healthy and Fat? 5 High-Fat Foods You Should Not Avoid.
Click here for 8 more great weight loss tips!
Struggling with your diet? Click here for 6 reasons why we don't lose weight.
Before beginning any diet or fitness program, consult your physician.
- 4 Best Types of Exercise on the Keto Diet | Natural Healthy - October 12th, 2019
- Flat Belly Diet Drink | Lose Belly Fat in 1 Week | No Diet ... - October 12th, 2019
- How To Choose The Right Diet And Exercise Plan For Men - September 10th, 2019
- How to Exercise on a Keto Diet | KetoDiet Blog - August 21st, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Calendar Template | 2019 Calendar ... - August 3rd, 2019
- Nutrition, Exercise & Sleep - National Sleep Foundation - July 29th, 2019
- Top Four Ways to Exercise When on a Ketogenic Diet - July 13th, 2019
- Cherry Creek Medical Weight Loss - Colorado Weight Loss - June 5th, 2019
- Is Diet Really More Effective Than Exercise for Weight ... - June 5th, 2019
- Dementia: Exercise, diet, healthy lifestyle can prevent it ... - May 19th, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Tips For Incontinence URINARY ... - April 26th, 2019
- Is It the Diet, the Exercise, or Both? | NutritionFacts.org - April 17th, 2019
- How To Create The Perfect Diet Plan For Your Workout Goal - April 16th, 2019
- Diet + Fitness - CNN - April 3rd, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise - Mindful by Sodexo - March 9th, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise: The Truth About Weight Loss - WebMD - February 28th, 2019
- Is Exercise Pointless? (Why You Cant Out Train A Bad Diet) - February 10th, 2019
- Donald Trump's Physical Exam Shows Hes in 'Very Good ... - February 8th, 2019
- Can You Exercise While On The Keto Diet? | Bioketo - February 3rd, 2019
- CRON-diet - Wikipedia - January 17th, 2019
- Reverse PCOS Naturally Through Diet and Exercise | Sepalika - September 24th, 2018
- Diet and Exercise for Heart Disease Prevention - September 24th, 2018
- Diet & Exercise Diary: Hinkler books: 9781743087800 ... - August 6th, 2018
- The Fully Raw Diet: 21 Days to Better Health, with Meal ... - July 9th, 2018
- Diet, Exercise & Health | Fisher Center for Alzheimer's ... - June 5th, 2018
- PCOS and Exercise: How much and how often? | PCOS Diet Support - May 27th, 2018
- 2-Week Diet & Exercise Plan | Applied Nutrition | Health Tips - May 25th, 2018
- Should You Exercise While On The HCG Diet? - May 17th, 2018
- Diet or exercise for weight loss? - Business Insider - May 17th, 2018
- Dieting - Wikipedia - May 17th, 2018
- The relationship between diet and exercise Steven Low - April 28th, 2018
- Exercise and Eating Healthy - April 19th, 2018
- Diet Vs Exercise: Which Matters More For Weight Loss ... - January 12th, 2018
- Exercise and Anti Inflammation Diet to Live Longer - December 29th, 2017
- How To Lose Weight Fast Without Diet Pills Or Exercise - October 13th, 2017
- Benefit to improving diet and exercise at the same time ... - October 1st, 2017
- 3 Day Military Diet & Exercise: Best Workout Plan for ... - September 20th, 2017
- PCOS and Exercise - The Benefits | PCOS Diet Support - September 20th, 2017
- Diet and Exercise | County Health Rankings & Roadmaps - September 20th, 2017
- Not just diet and exercise: lifestyle changes needed to shed the kilos if you're overweight or obese - South China Morning Post - September 5th, 2017
- Weight loss: How to slim your waist without exercise or dieting ... - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- Weight loss news: Men find THIS type of exercise harder than women - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- Rebel Wilson weight loss: Pitch Perfect's 'Fat Amy' shed the pounds doing THIS exercise - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- 10 ways to build your best body starting today - Body and Soul - September 4th, 2017
- 5 Myths About Exercise Debunked - Inc.com - September 4th, 2017
- Start the Week Off Right: Four exercise and nutrition myths - Quad City Times - September 4th, 2017
- 5 common workout myths and what to do instead, according to the personal trainer who eats only 2 meals a day - Evening Standard - September 4th, 2017
- 30 ways to add years to your life that aren't 'diet and exercise' - WYFF Greenville - September 3rd, 2017
- Junk food fan's shock after learning his 'terrible' diet has aged his body by a staggering 22 YEARS - The Sun - September 3rd, 2017
- When diets fail, Rujuta Diwekar's exercise guide comes to the rescue - Economic Times - September 3rd, 2017
- Losing weight gets personal: Combining diet and behavioral changes may help - Washington Post - September 3rd, 2017
- Jessie James Decker Reveals the Fitness and Diet Secrets to Her Super Hot Bikini Body! - E! Online - September 1st, 2017
- Nathalie Emmanuel's Diet and Exercise Regime Helps Her On-Set Stamina - Hollywood.com - August 30th, 2017
- Weight loss: Man loses over three stone by swapping fizzy drinks for THIS - Express.co.uk - August 30th, 2017
- Nathalie Emmanuel's diet and exercise regime helps her on-set stamina - Belfast Telegraph - August 29th, 2017
- How I Got This Body: Less Fad Dieting and Diet Coke, More Seltzer and Fitspo Friends - Washingtonian.com - August 29th, 2017
- Cutting the carbs: Everything you need to know about the South Beach Diet - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 29th, 2017
- Calorie reduction + exercise = better muscle function in older adults - Medical Xpress - August 29th, 2017
- Emilia Clarke's trainer reveals what she does to stay in such great shape - INSIDER - August 28th, 2017
- Weight loss diet: Eating THIS before exercise could affect how your body burns fat - Express.co.uk - August 28th, 2017
- Diet and exercise - Journal Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- The key to weight loss: THIS could be the best way to combat obesity - Express.co.uk - August 28th, 2017
- The only two exercises you need to do to get rid of belly fat fast - Daily Star - August 28th, 2017
- Weight loss: This is the best trick YOU can do to lose weight without even trying - Express.co.uk - August 27th, 2017
- 5 Easy Ways To Spring Clean Your Diet - Huffington Post Australia - August 27th, 2017
- Weight loss: THIS is the best exercise you can do at home to lose belly fat - Express.co.uk - August 27th, 2017
- A Coach's Wife: Trying to comprehend the mixed-up business of diet and exercise - Daily Herald - August 27th, 2017
- Tia Mowry on her 5-second style and why she'll never give up comfort foods - Yahoo Food - August 27th, 2017
- Report: Diet, Exercise Help Diabetics Maintain Normal Lifestyle - CBS Philly - August 26th, 2017
- Fit For Life: Train and Eat! Not - Exercise and Diet - GoLocalProv - August 26th, 2017
- Weight loss: How to lose weight and blast belly fat with walking - Express.co.uk - August 26th, 2017
- 83% of people lose weight on THIS diet without exercising - Daily Star - August 26th, 2017
- Bob Harper Shares All the Ways His Life Has Changed Following His Heart Attack - POPSUGAR - August 26th, 2017
- Intensive lifestyle change: It works, and it's more than diet and exercise - Harvard Health (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Kristina Dropped 102 Pounds by "Doing Zero Exercise" in the First Year - POPSUGAR - August 21st, 2017
- 25-year-old supermodel Kate Upton says weightlifting completely changed her body and outlook on fitness - INSIDER - August 21st, 2017
- Jennifer Aniston Dishes on Her Diet and Exercise Secrets (Grab a Pen and Take Notes, People!) - Closer Weekly - August 20th, 2017
- Study: A red wine component has similar anti-aging benefits to diet and exercise - PhillyVoice.com - August 19th, 2017
- Health and exercise myths and tips - Inquirer.net - August 18th, 2017
- The Secret Behind Demi Lovato's Confidence and Happiness? This Routine - POPSUGAR - August 18th, 2017