A MAN with incurable cancer is among the Styal Running Club athletes hitting into full stride this week to complete their Race to The North Pole Challenge.
Around 35 runners have been smashing daily targets to complete, over 12 days, a combined 2,600 miles the distance from Manchester to the North Pole.
The challenge is raising funds for The Childrens Adventure Farm Trust, with more than 1,300 donated so far, while also helping members physical and mental wellbeing.
One of the inspirational runners is Tony Collier BEM, who has been on a mission of generating awareness and funds since his prostate cancer diagnosis three years ago.
The 63-year-old semi-retired accountant, who has run 30 miles over the past five days, is determined to continue his activity levels despite his illness and has revealed the difficulties he has been overcoming in order to run.
I was diagnosed in May 2017, de novo stage 4 and told I may have as little as two years to live, said Tony, a founder member of the running club and one of its two coaches, having been treasurer and secretary previously.
Thankfully Ive responded well to the treatment which is keeping the cancer at bay for now. It wont work forever as the cancer is quite clever and finds a way around the treatment Side effects of the treatment, effectively chemical castration by removing testosterone, are grim.
The impact on me as a runner has been huge. Weight gain due to steroids, loss of muscle mass due to no testosterone so its much hard to power the runs reduced bone density, and horrendous fatigue etc.
But I am thankfully still able to run and Ive run or hiked (some days both) every day since May 1. Im loads slower, cant run as far, but Im still doing something I love and I took my coaching badge so that I can stay involved when I can no longer participate.
Tony is a volunteer awareness speaker for Prostate Cancer UK and is hoping his story can help others.
I usually do in the region of two or three talks every month to raise awareness of prostate cancer and make sure as many men as possible dont end up like me, he said.
I was shocked when I was diagnosed that Id had the right to a PSA blood test every year from age 50 and, if Id known that and had them, I could have been diagnosed early and cured.
They told me that Id probably had it for 10 years, and Id had no symptoms whatsoever most men diagnosed early have no symptoms.
I had been training to run an ultra marathon in South Africa on June 4, 2017 but a groin strain was hampering my training so I saw a sports injuries doctor and we pre-arranged an MRI scan.
When he saw the scan he sent me for chest x-rays, blood tests and the following day a CT scan and you obviously dont need those for a groin strain.
It turned out to be prostate cancer pretty much throughout my skeleton from pelvis to skull and the pain was coming from stress fractures of the pelvis. I literally went from training for an ultra marathon to terminally ill in 36 hours!
Tony set up 5K Your Way at Wilmslow Parkrun last year to help support people living with and beyond cancer to get back into or start exercising because doing so is seen as vital to preparation for treatment or surgery as well as aiding rehabilitation.
We meet at Wilmslow Parkrun on the final Saturday of every month and we do the 5k our way, said Tony, who was awarded the BEM in the Queens birthday honours last year in recognition of his services to charity, fundraising and the community.
Most of us walk while we talk, some jog, some run, some volunteer, he said. Then the magic happens when we go for coffee, cake, breakfast and we become a mutual support group helping each either cope via shared experience. We cant wait to be allowed to resume Parkrun next year.
To donate to Styal Running Clubs fundraising efforts, visit justgiving.com/fundraising/StyalRunningClubRaceToTheNorthPole
Styal's runners have reached Iceland, virtually, having clocked up 1000 miles in the first four days.
View original post here:
Styal Running Club's Tony Collier BEM on living with prostate cancer - Knutsford Guardian
- Characterization of perioperative androgen profiles in men with bladder cancer undergoing radical cystectomy. - UroToday - January 9th, 2021
- Savage Grow Plus Reviews Ingredients, Benefits and Side Effects Revealed - BO Herald - December 13th, 2020
- 6 Health Benefits of Oysters Everyone Should Know - Wide Open Eats - December 6th, 2020
- Diabetes And Sex: What You Should KnowGuardian Life - Guardian - December 6th, 2020
- 5 Things That Happen When You Don't Get Enough Sleep - Prevention.com - December 1st, 2020
- How has the struggle for women's rights and equality affected our menopause - Open Access Government - December 1st, 2020
- Kenergy Scientific INC. (KNSC) Has Changed Its Name to MedSmart Group Inc., and Has Done a Reverse Stock Split Effective November 23, 2020 -... - November 25th, 2020
- A Real Guy Offers Advice on How to Beat ED - HealthCentral.com - November 25th, 2020
- Doctor On Call: Should you be concerned about your testosterone levels? - North Coast Courier - November 22nd, 2020
- Sleep deprivation effects: 5 things that happen to your body when you don't get enough sleep - T3 - November 22nd, 2020
- Why it is difficult to lose belly fat after 40 and how to overcome this issue - Times of India - November 18th, 2020
- Lose Weight More Easily With a Bowl of Nettle Soup - Men's health UK - November 18th, 2020
- Key to hormonal health - The New Indian Express - November 18th, 2020
- This quack diet is a waste of money and potentially harmful: Doctors - TimesLIVE - November 18th, 2020
- Ruto: I will defeat the deep state - The Standard - November 18th, 2020
- Outdoors: Appreciating the rut as deer mating season comes to end - Worcester Telegram - November 18th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Love Handles Faster, According to a Fitness Expert - The Manual - November 12th, 2020
- It's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Men Who Have a Low Sex Drive - InsideHook - November 12th, 2020
- That stubborn acne could be a sign of PCOS: Know how they are related - TheHealthSite - November 12th, 2020
- Can male enhancement drugs make the penis bigger and thicker? - ADOTAS - November 6th, 2020
- The Anabolic Steroids market to go the reverse transversal way in the next decade - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Wellness Wednesday with a sneak peek of Fall-Tastic Showdown - ABC 4 - October 22nd, 2020
- High Testosterone in Premenopausal Women Linked to NASH - Hep Treatment News - October 18th, 2020
- Muscle loss can cause a range of health problems as we age but it can be prevented - The Conversation UK - October 18th, 2020
- Managing the menopause: symptoms, treatments and advice from the experts - harpersbazaar.com - October 18th, 2020
- Help Pennington with soldiers' study (lots of exercise, little sleep and food) and pocket $7,500 - The Advocate - October 13th, 2020
- The Hidden Reason Why You Can't Lose Weight, from an Expert - The Beet - October 13th, 2020
- Testosterone and weight loss: the evidence - October 3rd, 2020
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic September 25 - Medical News Today - September 25th, 2020
- 5 Celebrities Who Got Really Sick After Going on an All-Meat Diet - One Green Planet - September 20th, 2020
- Low testosterone: 12 signs and symptoms - September 16th, 2020
- The keto weight loss diet could help boost sperm count and quality, according to 2 case reports - Insider - INSIDER - September 11th, 2020
- Missed or irregular periods? Here's how to manage PCOS during the pandemic - PINKVILLA - September 11th, 2020
- The One Thing That's Giving Your Competitor The Edge - SwimSwam - September 10th, 2020
- Best Home Remedies For PCOS: Five Kitchen Ingredients to Help Combat Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - India.com - September 8th, 2020
- Whats Really The Best Way To Maintain A Healthy Weight Over 50? - British Vogue - September 6th, 2020
- Bradykinin Hypothesis of COVID-19 Offers Hope for Already-Approved Drugs - BioSpace - September 6th, 2020
- 16 benefits of working out in the morning - Yahoo Lifestyle UK - September 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 treatment and diagnosis research started in unlikely places. As it should have. - NBC News - September 6th, 2020
- 3 Benefits of Testosterone - IMC Grupo - August 15th, 2020
- How long does it take to build muscle? - CNET - August 13th, 2020
- Investigation and management of erythrocytosis - CMAJ - August 12th, 2020
- Maybe its low testosterone? - The Durango Herald - July 30th, 2020
- Prorganiq: A Cure from the Nature - Zee News - July 30th, 2020
- Benefits Of Avocado: Avocado will add energy to the physique of males, this fashion must be consumed - Pledge Times - July 24th, 2020
- Kenergy Scientific, Inc. Announces That It Has Acquired MedSmart Group, Inc. - Yahoo Finance - July 7th, 2020
- How to Fight PCOS with Diet and Nutrition - Scientific American - June 30th, 2020
- Can you still get pregnant if you have PCOS? - The Standard - June 30th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: Applying this seed-based oil to your scalp may promote hair growth - Express - June 30th, 2020
- No fountain of youth: Just because theres a way to boost testosterone doesnt mean you should, experts warn - Steuben Courier - June 23rd, 2020
- Superstar steroid may fight COVID, but has nothing to do with muscles - The Province - June 23rd, 2020
- No fountain of youth: Just because theres a way to boost testosterone doesnt mean you should, experts warn - Jackson County Newspapers - June 19th, 2020
- The Ultimate Guide to CBD And Seniors for Weight Loss - Creative Loafing Tampa - June 16th, 2020
- The Coming Out of a Transgender Scientist - The MIT Press Reader - June 15th, 2020
- Ashwagandha: 8 Reasons To Include It In Your Diet - NDTV Doctor - June 13th, 2020
- Identical twins compared vegan diet with meat-eating and exercise - Insider - INSIDER - June 8th, 2020
- The weird character change that still bothers NCIS fans - Looper - May 31st, 2020
- Does PCOS affect your ability to conceive? - The Indian Express - May 26th, 2020
- Welcome to the table - The Tech - May 22nd, 2020
- Why do women gain weight during menopause? - The Conversation AU - May 6th, 2020
- Tips for men to boost their fertility naturally - Telangana Today - May 4th, 2020
- John Tesh Is Staying Healthy With Exercise and Diet Post-Cancer - Closer Weekly - May 4th, 2020
- Weight Loss Review - A Review of the Acai Berry and Steph Curry's Weight Loss Product - Coin Digital Standard - April 24th, 2020
- Given Alex Rodriguez's history with doping scandals, should he be allowed to own New York Mets? - MEAWW - April 24th, 2020
- Hormonal Imbalance: The Growing Concern Amongst Teenagers - India.com - March 31st, 2020
- What Are the Differences in Addiction Between Men and Women? - South Florida Caribbean News - March 28th, 2020
- ACR Recommendations for Managing Reproductive Health in Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Diseases - Rheumatology Advisor - March 26th, 2020
- How long can you go without food? Survival, effects, and more - Medical News Today - March 23rd, 2020
- A Former Editor of 'Cosmopolitan' On Her Secret to (Almost) Infinite Energy - The Advocate - March 23rd, 2020
- Middle-aged women are turning to bodybuilding and they've got the edge on their younger rivals - ABC News - March 23rd, 2020
- Coconut Oil and Testosterone: Is There a Connection? - Healthline - March 9th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: The essential oil proven to help hair growth with less scalp itching - Express - March 9th, 2020
- In-Vitro Fertilization Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Instrument, By Procedure Type, By End Use, By Region And Segment Forecasts,... - March 6th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about losing your hair as you get older - goodhousekeeping.com - March 6th, 2020
- How high testosterone levels have different health outcomes for men and women - Health24 - March 1st, 2020
- The 10 tips to keep your penis healthy from more sex to exercising it - The Sun - March 1st, 2020
- Doc, why does my brother keep having convulsions? - nation.co.ke - February 26th, 2020
- Mo Farah, Alberto Salazar and L-carnitine Q&A: everything we know - Telegraph.co.uk - February 25th, 2020
- Eggs for Breakfast: Why It Is Important to Eat This Protein-Rich Food in the Morning Meal for Weight Loss - LatestLY - February 25th, 2020
- This Is What Eating a Dozen Eggs a Day Does to Your Body - msnNOW - February 24th, 2020