When it comes to nutrition, most people have a pretty good handle on what foods are healthy and what foods have a negative impact on their overall health. The bigger question though is: whats missing? While eating fresh fruits and veggies, good fats like those from olive and coconut oil, and protein and fiber-rich foods may be very important to your nutrition, you may be missing one key ingredient: the sun.
The sun provides UV rays, which our skin cells use to manufacture vitamin D. The caveat to sun exposure is that too much is just that too much. Overexposure to the sun can actually destroy all of the vitamin D your skin produces, and, not only that, can lead to increased risk of skin cancer (Yikes! No thank you.). Depending on their complexion, the average person only needs 10-15 minutes of direct sunlight in order to create enough vitamin D to reach their daily needs. So, as much as youd like to work on your tan, do it safely, and keep in mind that youre affecting your overall health when you get a sunburn.
Ok, so whats so important about vitamin D?
There are some pretty awful effects that having a vitamin D-deficient diet can have on the human body. A lack of vitamin D has been associated with heart disease, an increased risk of various cancers, depression, and fatigue in men and women alike, with women also being susceptible to osteoporosis later in life. Aside from all of that, vitamin D is necessary to metabolize calcium, which our body uses to strengthen our bones.
The precursors for vitamin D deficiency may be a little less obvious in men, as the only symptoms they may have are muscle weakness or fatigue, but for women it may play a factor in their menstrual cycle. A regular cycle can be an indicator of bone health, and having an irregular or light cycle can be the bodys way of saying, Your estrogen levels are out of whack!. Estrogen plays a significant role in maintaining healthy bones in both men and women (Im man enough to talk about my estrogen levels, are you?). But according to studies, most women delayed seeing their doctor because they didnt consider having irregular cycles as being that significant. While your bone density may not seem like your biggest concern in your 20s or 30s, maintaining healthy bones will help you avoid brittle bones and conditions like osteoporosis later in life, especially as women reach menopause.
Ok, I get it. I need to get outside more.
Youre damn right you do, especially during the spring/summer months while there are so many events, free classes, and different goings-on to see. Here is a short list of free classes and events to help get you motivated to get outside this month:
Weekly FREE Classes:
Saturdays Yoga 10 a.m.
Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus
Wednesdays Yoga 5:30 p.m.
Saturdays FreeStyle Barre 10 a.m.
Sundays Yoga 10 a.m.
Mondays Yoga 5:30 p.m.
Thursdays Cardio Kickboxing 5:30 p.m.
Tuesdays & Thursdays Power Pilates 6 p.m.
Williamsville, NY Tops 5K & 10K Run for Roswell and Family Walk
Saturday, August 26 @ 9:30 a.m.
North Tonawanda, NY Our Lady of Czestochowa Parish 5K
Saturday August 27th @ 11 a.m.
Buffalo, NY WNY Running Hall of Fame Presents: Tom Donnellys Hall of Fame 5K
Friday, September 1st @ 6:30 p.m.
Its widely known that Buffalo has its fair share of dreary days during the wintertime. That means the we need to rethink our health strategies according to the seasons. The only other way to get our daily dose of The D (yeah I said it) is through food or supplementation. Studies in the U.K. have shown that during the month of January it would take the average person 150 minutes of UV exposure in order to achieve sufficient vitamin D levels!
To be fair, we dont need too much of The D (I couldnt resist) in order to hit our daily intake goals, but standing outside in January just isnt logical. Eating foods such as eggs, salmon, tuna, cheese, tofu, pork, and some types of mushrooms will keep you at healthy vitamin D levels. If youre vegan you will have to take a daily vitamin D supplement, which can be found at almost any drugstore or supermarket; the recommended daily dose is 600-800 IU per day for adults.
With the amount of fun family events and FREE classes there is no excuse to NOT to go outside during this last bit of summer. The gym is a great place to stay fit, but dont forget that exercising in the sunshine can have an amazing effect on your mood and overall health; just try your best not to go for the crispy look.
Read the original here:
Stayin' Alive: The Big 'D' with Jeordan Hill - Buffalo Rising
- Is plastic a threat to your health? - Harvard Health - December 5th, 2019
- Allergies to lasix - Lasik eye surgery lincoln ne cost - Elevated bun and creatinine and lasix - Laughlin Entertainer - December 5th, 2019
- Is HIIT The Best Way To Lose Weight? We Asked Experts To Weigh In - mindbodygreen.com - December 5th, 2019
- Diet Plan For Kareena's Recent Look Revealed By Her Nutritionist - NDTV News - December 3rd, 2019
- As Aspen ski icon Klaus Obermeyer turns 100, he reflects on how he stays so fit and positive - The Colorado Sun - December 3rd, 2019
- Vitamin B12 Deficiency Can Be Avoided By Eating These Five Foods Regularly - International Business Times - December 3rd, 2019
- Brain Receptor That Regulates Body Heat May Also Help Accelerate Weight Loss - University Herald - December 2nd, 2019
- Brony names in the workplace, and more advice from Dear Prudence. - Slate - December 2nd, 2019
- The Top Products of 2019 - Pet Business Magazine - December 2nd, 2019
- How Vaping Could Create a Bigger Health Risk - The National Interest Online - November 29th, 2019
- Constipation in breastfeeding babies: Treatments and causes - Medical News Today - November 29th, 2019
- Looking for healthy eating options in Bengaluru? This might just be the cafe you're looking for - The New Indian Express - November 29th, 2019
- A trip through parts of Ky. and Ohio - Ledger Independent - November 29th, 2019
- What Blood Tests You Should Ask For Based On Your Family History - mindbodygreen.com - November 29th, 2019
- Opinion | From cataracts to macular degeneration: Age-related eye problems and how to treat them - Toronto.com - November 29th, 2019
- Vitamin E and vaping injuries: What's safe in your diet is rarely safe in your lungs - The Conversation US - November 29th, 2019
- Try Not To Poison Yourself This Thanksgiving - LAist - November 29th, 2019
- 5 seemingly unhealthy foods that are actually good for you - NBC News - November 29th, 2019
- Steak and chips, fish dinner and beans on toast as youve never seen them before: The food bringing dignity to the elderly - The Telegraph - November 29th, 2019
- Diabetes Prevention plan: Start eating avocadoes from today - TheHealthSite - November 29th, 2019
- Everything You Need to Know About Several Common Enzymes - PharmiWeb.com - November 29th, 2019
- Tate & Lyle explores the relationship between nutritious ingredients and the glycemic response - NutraIngredients-Latam - November 29th, 2019
- Cease the grease by properly disposing of fryer oil and cooking grease - Journalscene.com - November 29th, 2019
- Plagued by unsightly whiteheads? 5 home remedies to get rid of them - TheHealthSite - November 29th, 2019
- Question about keto and metformin? MyFitnessPal.com - October 4th, 2019
- A Ketogenic Diet for Beginners The Ultimate Keto Guide ... - October 2nd, 2019
- Weight Loss, Loss weight fast, Diet Safely - Part 5 - September 12th, 2019
- Diabetes diet: Create your healthy-eating plan - Mayo Clinic - September 12th, 2019
- How Long Can Your Body Stay in Ketosis Safely? - September 12th, 2019
- How to diet - NHS - September 7th, 2019
- The Mayo Clinic Diet: A weight-loss program for life ... - September 6th, 2019
- The truth behind the most popular diet trends of the ... - July 27th, 2019
- Is the ketogenic diet safe for diabetics? ( ... - July 25th, 2019
- Ketosis for Seniors: What Should You Know? - Perfect Keto - July 22nd, 2019
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? How to Avoid Common Issues - June 21st, 2019
- drbdiet.com - Bernstein Diet & Health Clinics - May 21st, 2019
- What Is the Keto Diet (and Should You Try It)? Health ... - May 21st, 2019
- Calcium: An Important Mineral For Women - Women's Health - May 21st, 2019
- Beyonce Diet aka The Master Cleanse or Lemonade Diet - May 16th, 2019
- What should I feed my backyard chickens? RSPCA Knowledgebase - May 16th, 2019
- Eating a Plant-Based Diet: Safely Going Vegan | Nerd Fitness - April 25th, 2019
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe Long Term? Potential Dangers to ... - March 31st, 2019
- Weight loss: Choosing a diet that's right for you - Mayo ... - March 30th, 2019
- Ketogenic Diet Benefits (& How to Do It Right) | Wellness Mama - March 12th, 2019
- Are low carb diets safe to follow? | All Natural Ideas - March 12th, 2019
- Find Out How to Diet Safely - Food Without Fire - March 9th, 2019
- Keto Diet for Women: Food List & Tips to Overcome Side ... - March 8th, 2019
- 11 Fruits can you Eat Safely in a Ketogenic Diet - Cool ... - March 7th, 2019
- HCG Diet | HCG Drops | HCG Diet Information | Your HCG - March 6th, 2019
- All About Cat Diets How and Why to Put Your Cat on a ... - February 12th, 2019
- Foods You Can Safely Eat Past The Due Dates | ActiveBeat - January 28th, 2019
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe for People with Diabetes? - Dr ... - December 20th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? 4 Potential Dangers to Be Aware Of ... - December 19th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Really Safe? - thedailymeal.com - December 19th, 2018
- The Vegan Diet Done Safely - Parsley Health - November 18th, 2018
- Ketogenic diet: Is the ultimate low-carb diet good for you ... - October 31st, 2018
- Keto Diet Beginners Guide: Understanding the Ketogenic Diet - October 2nd, 2018
- Is the Keto diet Safe? 10 Myth-Busting Arguments for the ... - August 8th, 2018
- Diet - Safety Talk Ideas - August 6th, 2018
- The Carnivore Diet: Can Eating Only Meat Supercharge Your ... - August 1st, 2018
- Diet and Weight Loss Safety Tips (UPDATE: Jul 2018) | 2 ... - July 26th, 2018
- What Is the Keto Diet, and Is It Safe? - May 24th, 2018
- How to Safely and Effectively Come Off the Keto Diet ... - May 7th, 2018
- Care Guide: Diet - April 2nd, 2018
- Eat Wheat: A Scientific and Clinically-Proven Approach to ... - March 16th, 2018
- Can Probiotics Make It Safely To Your Intestines? - February 19th, 2018
- How to safely and healthily use supplements in your diet ... - February 17th, 2018
- Liquid Diet: Facts About Plans and Effectiveness - February 17th, 2018
- 11 Low Carb Vegetables That You Can Safely Eat on the ... - February 7th, 2018
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe for Everyone? - Diagnosis:Diet - January 20th, 2018
- Best Weight Loss Pills For Women Reviewed - Top 8 Best ... - December 25th, 2017
- Safe Diets and Healthful Weight Loss - healthline.com - November 6th, 2017
- Can I diet while breastfeeding? KellyMom.com - October 15th, 2017
- How to Use Diet Pills Safely: 12 Steps (with Pictures ... - October 13th, 2017
- How to Lose Weight Quickly and Safely (for Teen Girls) - October 13th, 2017
- Chinese red viagra sildenafil citrate - Viagra and red bull safe - Red ant viagra review - Black Hills Today - September 6th, 2017
- The What IF Plan: all you need to know about the new DNA weight loss programme - Evening Standard - September 6th, 2017
- Coca-Cola Offering $1 Million for Natural Sugar Substitute - Newsmax - September 6th, 2017
- 'Global event' in Ames this fall to focus on digital literacy - Radio Iowa - September 6th, 2017
- All the Apps and Websites You Need When You Have a Kid With Food Allergies - Lifehacker Australia - September 6th, 2017