If you have a hard time keeping and maintaining good habits, you may be thinking "too big," according to a Stanford University behavior scientist, who has been studying how habits are kept for nearly three decades.
The key to success, he says, is to think small when wanting to develop new behaviors or routines.
"Tiny is mighty," BJ Fogg, Ph.D., who founded Stanford University's Behavior Design Lab tells CNBC Make it.
Since 1998, Fogg has been conducting studies and running the Behavior Design Lab to figure out how habits are formed and, more importantly, how to make them stick. He has also privately coached more than 40,000 people for his research.
"It's all about baby steps," says Fogg, author of the new book, "Tiny Habits: The Small Changes that Change Everything."
Fogg says he found that most people aim too high and big when trying to form a new habit which often leads to them to fail. For instance, if you have a goal of drinking a gallon of water a day, the key is to start with having a sip after you wake up in the morning, says Fogg. By taking tiny steps to start, Fogg found that people are more likely to keep that habit because the new behaviors don't require a lot of motivation at first. And there's no need to create an elaborate plan or rally social support. It's also safe to experiment with because if you don't succeed, the "misstep is tiny."
Additionally, he thinks it crucial to start a new behavior following something that is already a staple in your routine (like brushing your teeth).
"Every behavior needs a prompt to occur. Your existing routine can serve a prompt in a powerful and elegant way," Fogg says.
Lastly, to make something stick permanently, its important to celebrate after completing the habit.
"Give yourself a fist bump," Foggs says. By congratulating yourself after completing the habit, you will be more likely to repeat it, according to Fogg's research.
Fogg says you'll eventually "do more of the habits in time that you hadn't planned and you'll also be less fearful to try to attempt other changes."
The habits people want to make part of their routine the most are around productivity, according to a recent study conducted by Fogg's team. Productivity beat the desire for habits that have to do with being financially secure and losing weight.
A good small habit for productivity, says Fogg, is putting your phone on do not disturb mode as soon as you sit down at your desk. When the habit takes hold, it will have a ripple effect and eventually boost your productivity, he says. That's because doing small habits, you'll "be less fearful to try to attempt other changes."
"When you go tiny, you don't need to rely on willpower or motivation,' Fogg writes. "Tiny will grow bigger, just like a seed grows into a tree."
Fogg suggests saying these habits to yourself throughout the day. Each habit is connected with an anchor or prompt to help you remember to complete it.
1. After I sit down at my desk, I will put my phone on do not disturb mode.
2. After I close my office door, I will organize one item that's lying around.
3. After I finish reading e-mail, I will close the e-mail browser tab.
4. After I launch a new Word doc, I will hide all other programs running on my computer.
5. After I find myself mindlessly browsing social media, I will log out.
6. After I sit down at a meeting, I will write the title, the date, and the attendees at the top of my notes.
7. After I notice a call going on for longer than expected, I'll say this: "It's been great to talk, but I need to wrap up. What haven't we covered yet that's important?"
8. After I read an important e-mail, I will file it in a folder for the designated project.
9. After I read an e-mail I can't deal with immediately, I will mark it as unread.
10. After I read an e-mail that's time-sensitive, I will reply with this script: "Got it. I will review it in detail and get back in touch soon."
11. After I leave the office, I will think about one success from the day.
12. After I walk in the door at home, I will hang my keys on the hook.
Like this story? Like CNBC Make It on Facebook.
Top execs use this visualization trick to achieve successhere's why it works, according to a neuroscientist
Neuroscientist: Skip breakfast sometimes and 2 other simple tips to boost your brain performance
I used a peak performance coach who worked with Google and Berkshire Hathawayand it actually helped me
See the original post here:
Stanford scientist: 12 tiny habits that will instantly make you more productive - CNBC
- Weight loss benefits that go beyond slimming - Times of India - March 31st, 2020
- Honor your body and improve your health in the process - Charlotte Post - March 31st, 2020
- Don't Get Duped by Health Fraud! Avoid These Red Flags - The Great Courses Daily News - March 31st, 2020
- Stress Wont Kill You, But Your Reaction To It Might - Ponoka News - March 31st, 2020
- Other Sports: Weighty task for Prem - The Star Online - March 31st, 2020
- Looking About in Mendocino County during coronavirus: A place of gratefulness - The Willits News - March 31st, 2020
- Masterchefs Gregg Wallace takes on Joe Wicks with workout routine - Metro.co.uk - March 30th, 2020
- Building Toward the Long-Term Financial Future: Needs, Wants, and Wishes - The Ticker Tape - March 30th, 2020
- The Incredible Body Transformation of Jorge Masvidal Over The Years - Essentially Sports - March 30th, 2020
- Mama Junes daughter Jessica shows off new face and body after $111K plastic surgery makeover - The Sun - March 30th, 2020
- 'I wasnt in a good place' Kedren loses amazing 3.5st to help turn life around - Stoke-on-Trent Live - March 30th, 2020
- How to workout in a small apartment without annoying your neighbors - Insider - INSIDER - March 30th, 2020
- Is Consuming Coffee & Lemon Together Beneficial? Explore 3 Most Common Claims about the Mix - Krishi Jagran - March 30th, 2020
- From baking bread with just 3 ingredients to 1 tacos easy recipes to boost your mood during coronavirus lo - The Sun - March 30th, 2020
- 14 Books We Cant Wait to Read in April - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 30th, 2020
- How X-FACTOR #87 (1993) Changed My Concept Of What A Comic Book Could Be - Monkeys Fighting Robots - March 30th, 2020
- William & Mary coaches adjust through communication and technology - William & Mary News - March 30th, 2020
- Inspirational Reading mum's touching gesture to husband with incurable cancer - Get Reading - March 30th, 2020
- Here's Why You're Not Losing Weight From Intermittent Fasting - Men's Health - March 28th, 2020
- LET'S GET PHYSICAL: Simple mindset shifts that will help you lose weight - The Bakersfield Californian - March 28th, 2020
- What to do during the coronavirus quarantine if you're on a diet - USA TODAY - March 28th, 2020
- Walking is one of the best things you can do for your health amid coronavirus - New York Post - March 28th, 2020
- Is intermittent fasting the right choice? - We Are The Mighty - March 28th, 2020
- Easy egg salad recipes for weight loss - Times of India - March 28th, 2020
- It switch! The new beach body of Adele after losing weight about 70 kilos in the last decade - Play Crazy Game - March 28th, 2020
- Weight loss with intermittent fasting? Three readers share their success story: I lost no less than 51 kg in 8 months - The KXAN 36 News - March 28th, 2020
- Mum and daughter show off their new figures after curbing their junk food addiction - ExaminerLive - March 28th, 2020
- Man praises NHS staff after his 86-year-old father recovers from coronavirus - Nottinghamshire Live - March 28th, 2020
- Overweight to extreme thinness, Adele is concerned about his fans for his new look - Play Crazy Game - March 28th, 2020
- Couple lose 15 stone after being left mortified by picture of them dressed as Tweedledee and Tweedledum - MyLondon - March 28th, 2020
- From radiant skin to boosting immunity, everything you need to know about saffron - Times Now - March 28th, 2020
- The Biggest Loser trainer Erica Lugo reveals how she lost 160 lbs. and its something we all can do - HOLA! USA - March 27th, 2020
- 32-Year Veteran Coach Roy Williams 'I'm Hungrier; Anxious To Get Back to Work' - Sports Illustrated - March 27th, 2020
- Soccer enthusiast hopes to play again after Strive to Thrive - Richland Source - March 27th, 2020
- Nutrition and exercise experts offer 7 reasons why you may not be losing weight - The Irish News - March 26th, 2020
- 12 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight While Doing Intermittent Fasting, According To An RD - Women's Health - March 26th, 2020
- Green coffee and how it aids weight loss - AZ Big Media - March 26th, 2020
- Best apps to track what youre eating and maintain (or lose) weight while quarantined - Android Police - March 26th, 2020
- Weigh out there | Columnists - San Mateo Daily Journal - March 26th, 2020
- Weight loss or fat loss? What it means and what you should know - Times of India - March 26th, 2020
- RHOCs Emily Simpson shows off incredible weight loss in skintight pants and swimsuits - The Sun - March 26th, 2020
- Adele, obsessed with fitness and losing weight - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- Adele becomes obsessed with losing weight and fitness - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- 'This Is Us': Does Season 4 pass the Bechdel test for fat women? - Los Angeles Times - March 26th, 2020
- This Mornings Alison Hammond boasts shes good in bed after losing weight - The Sun - March 26th, 2020
- 5 health and fitness apps to download in the UAE - Time Out Abu Dhabi - March 26th, 2020
- Mandels Mailbag: Will there be a college football season this fall? - The Athletic - March 26th, 2020
- 10 habits of people who lose weight and keep it off - The Australian Financial Review - March 23rd, 2020
- Body recomposition: How to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time - CNET - March 23rd, 2020
- Mum and daughter show off their new figures after curbing their junk food addiction - Cambridgeshire Live - Cambridgeshire Live - March 23rd, 2020
- Nonprofit helps with weight loss - Dover Post - March 23rd, 2020
- Realized I needed to improve my physical fitness to get back in IPL, states Sheldon Jackson - SportsCafe - March 23rd, 2020
- 'I lost 4st and had the miracle baby doctors told me Id never give birth to' - Mirror Online - March 23rd, 2020
- Heart disease is the number one killer of both men and women - Marshalltown Times Republican - March 23rd, 2020
- The carrot and stick approach - Fruitnet - March 23rd, 2020
- Scarlett Moffatt: Ive Had To Ring The Samaritans Because Of Years Of Trolling - Grazia - March 23rd, 2020
- Emotional Eating May Soar Due to Coronavirus Anxiety and Nationwide Shutdowns - GlobeNewswire - March 23rd, 2020
- Would Having the Tokyo Games Even Be Fair to the Athletes? - The New York Times - March 23rd, 2020
- A mother's wonderful gift of life to little Cleo - Independent.ie - March 23rd, 2020
- Coronation Street Spoilers for next week: David struggles with shocking news & Yasmeen refuses to hear the truth - RadioTimes - March 23rd, 2020
- Land Rover marks a milestone with the Discovery Landmark - Hull Daily Mail - March 23rd, 2020
- Weight loss: From 125 to 80 kilos, this student lost a massive 45 kilos - Times of India - March 21st, 2020
- Posting Jokes and Memes About Weight Gain During COVID-19 Is Not OK - Allure - March 21st, 2020
- The Best Diet and Fitness Apps to Help Lose Weight and Stay Healthy - Chowhound - March 21st, 2020
- Gratitude in the Face of Crisis - The New York Times - March 21st, 2020
- Weight loss: Woman sheds 5 stone in 5 months & reversed type 2 diabetes with simple diet - Express - March 21st, 2020
- Weight loss: Are detox teas healthy? Here is all you need to know about their benefits, side effects - Times Now - March 21st, 2020
- It's OK To Stress-Eat & Gain Weight When You're In Coronavirus Lockdown - YourTango - March 21st, 2020
- Exactly What to Eat to Be Your Healthiest, by Bestselling Author Dr. Joel Fuhrman - The Beet - March 21st, 2020
- Instead of Gaining the Freshman 15, Aime Actually Lost Weight Her First Semester - POPSUGAR - March 21st, 2020
- These Are The Most Common Behavioral Habits That Can Stall Your Weight Loss, According To An MD - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 21st, 2020
- The Strangers Brandon Fellows reveals four and a half stone weight loss after cutting out takeaways and j - The Sun - March 21st, 2020
- Adorable & AdoptablePets of the Week: Leah, Molly, & Kittles - SweetwaterNOW.com - March 21st, 2020
- Common Health Problems Causing You to be Overweight - The Leader Newspaper Online - March 21st, 2020
- Carol Radull opens up on tough times that saw her lose Dad and brother - Pulse Live Kenya - March 21st, 2020
- Mailbag: How are the Gators handling the coronavirus pandemic? - GatorCountry.com - March 21st, 2020
- Watch when Tyson Furys press conference was crashed by the Wealdstone Raider, who called him out for a f - talkSPORT.com - March 21st, 2020
- Aussie mum sheds 65kgs thanks to her simple $2 trick! - That's Life! - March 21st, 2020
- How to EAT your way to a six pack while in isolation - Brinkwire - March 21st, 2020
- How to Lose Weight and Keep It Off - The New York Times - March 19th, 2020