A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket blasts off on its third attempt in four days, boosting an Intelsat communications satellite toward orbit on Wed., July 5, 2017.
After last-second delays Sunday and Monday, a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket finally roared to life and streaked away from the Kennedy Space Center Wednesday evening, boosting a high-power Intelsat communications satellite toward orbit in the California rocket builders third flight in less than two weeks.
The launching capped a particularly intense few days for SpaceX, beginning with the successful recovery of a Dragon cargo ship that splashed down early Sunday in the Pacific Ocean, bringing back more than 4,100 pounds of experiment samples and other equipment after a month-long visit to the International Space Station.
With the Dragon safely back on Earth, company engineers in Florida attempted to launch the Falcon 9 that evening only to be stopped at the T-minus 10-second mark because of a guidance and navigation system glitch. A second attempt Monday also was aborted at the 10-second point because of an undisclosed problem.
SpaceX founder Elon Musk ruled out a July Fourth launch attempt, instead ordering company engineers to spend the holiday reviewing telemetry and critical systems because, as he tweeted, only one chance to get it right.
The Falcon 9 was cleared early Wednesday for a third launch try and this time around, it was clear sailing and the 229-foot-tall rocket thundered to life at 7:38 p.m. EDT (GMT-4) and climbed away from historic pad 39A at the Kennedy Space Center atop 1.7 million pounds of thrust.
A view of the SpaceX Falcon 9 launch on Wed., July 5, 2017.
Mounted atop the rocket in a protective nose cone was the Boeing-built Intelsat 35e communications satellite, the fourth in a series of high-power Intelsat relay stations, this one bound for an orbital slot 22,300 miles above the Atlantic Ocean to provide service primarily to Latin America, the Caribbean and western Africa.
Arcing away to the east, the Falcon 9 put on a spectacular twilight show, climbing out of the thick lower atmosphere and rapidly fading from view as it consumed its load of kerosene and liquid oxygen propellants, losing weight and steadily accelerating.
About two minutes and 46 seconds after liftoff, the engines shut down and the first stage fell away. The single engine powering the rockets second stage then ignited to continue the climb to orbit.
Unlike the three most recent Falcon 9 flights, no attempt was made to recover the rockets first stage. Because of the weight of the payload nearly 15,000 pounds and the demands of the satellites orbit, no propellant was left over for the rocket firings needed to bring the first stage back for a landing.
Instead, the spent stage simply fell back into the atmosphere to break up before impact in the ocean below. So far this year, SpaceX has launched 10 Falcon 9s and recovered seven booster stages, three at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and four on off-shore drone ships. No attempt was made to recover the other three stages due to the payload weights and trajectories, including the one launched Wednesday.
In any case, the second stage engine was expected to fire for nearly six minutes to complete the climb to an initial, highly elliptical orbit. A second firing was planned later to complete the job.
The satellites on-board thrusters will be used later to put the relay station into a circular orbit 22,300 miles above the equator where all such communications stations operate. At that altitude, satellites take 24 hours to complete one orbit, thus appearing as stationary targets for antennas on the ground.
If all goes well, the new satellite will go into service in the second half of August.
This was the 38th launch of a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket since the boosters debut in 2010, the 10th so far this year and the ninth from pad 39A at the Kennedy Space Center.
2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.
2017 CBS Interactive Inc.
See the article here:
SpaceX finally launches Falcon 9 rocket - WDEF News 12
- Jenna Bush Hager and Hoda Kotb try intermittent fasting on TODAY - TODAY - November 20th, 2019
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Satisfy Hunger With These 34 Protein-Packed Vegan Recipes - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2019
- How to prevent the weight you've lost from returning - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - November 20th, 2019
- Man lost 184 pounds, reached goal to be a police officer - TODAY - November 20th, 2019
- Weight loss: Fried chicken addict ate nothing but KFC for a week and LOST weight but its not all good new - The Sun - November 20th, 2019
- What to Expect When It Comes to Postpartum Weight Loss - Shape Magazine - November 20th, 2019
- UAE weight-loss story: 'How I lost 44kg in two years' - Gulf News - November 20th, 2019
- ''I believe in doing things in moderation'' - Outlook India - November 20th, 2019
- The Commonness of Prediabetes and Diabetes Chance or Risk? - 10News - November 20th, 2019
- A Handle on your Health: Intermittent Fasting - San Marcos Daily Record - November 20th, 2019
- GIFFORD-JONES: Stay ahead of disability or death - The Guardian - November 20th, 2019
- Discover Tasty Vegan Cuisine At These Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants - Essence - November 20th, 2019
- This Is Us Creator Dan Fogelman Teases What's to Come for Each Character in the Rest of Season 4 - PEOPLE.com - November 20th, 2019
- Yes, house cats are getting fatter and it's all your fault - CBC.ca - November 20th, 2019
- 13 Reasons Why (You Need Sleep) - Thrive Global - November 20th, 2019
- Weight loss: How long does it take to get out of shape? - Times of India - November 20th, 2019
- Pensioner sheds nearly 12st and 'cures' himself of diabetes in the process - Wales Online - November 20th, 2019
- Mike Tyson fears loss of weight could affect Andy Ruiz in rematch against Anthony Joshua - Latest News in Nigeria & Breaking Naija News 24/7 |... - November 20th, 2019
- What Is the Average Penis Sizeand Can You Do Anything About It? - Health.com - November 20th, 2019
- WW launch a new range of slow cooked ready meals exclusive to Morrisons - goodtoknow - November 20th, 2019
- Weight loss story: This guy lost a whopping 40 kilos in less than 8 months! Here's how he did it! - Times of India - November 18th, 2019
- How to Get Rid Of Double Chin Within A Week? - International Business Times - November 18th, 2019
- Americans Got Fatter Over the Past Two Decades Despite Rise in People Trying to Lose Weight, Study Shows - Newsweek - November 18th, 2019
- How Carrie Fisher's Death Changed Billie Lourd's Perspective On Life - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 18th, 2019
- Ariel Winter Posts Behind The Scenes Shot With Injured Costar Phil DunphyDon't Worry, It's Fake - OK! - November 18th, 2019
- Brides amazing weight loss transformation after losing 7st with simple plan - Daily Star - November 18th, 2019
- Mary Cain started the conversation we needed to have - Canadian Running Magazine - November 18th, 2019
- Urinary Incontinence Is Common, Often Treatablebut Hard to Discuss - Wall Street Journal - November 18th, 2019
- Gemma Collins and James Argent vow to lose weight together as they prepare to have a baby - OK! magazine - November 18th, 2019
- Daughters fear spurred Dublin mum to lose half her body weight - Extra.ie - November 18th, 2019
- So You Want to Try Intuitive Eating, but If Youre Being Honest, You Still Want to Watch Your Weight. What to Do? - Self - November 16th, 2019
- Weight loss: Here is why you must add papayas to your diet to burn belly fat - Times of India - November 16th, 2019
- Middle-aged men on a diet are the ultimate downer, and we're not even sure we prefer the thinner versions - Telegraph.co.uk - November 16th, 2019
- Doing this for an hour a day can help you lose weight within weeks and its not exercise - Express - November 16th, 2019
- If you really care about the NHS, lose some weight - Telegraph.co.uk - November 16th, 2019
- Weight loss story: I used to get breathless after climbing even 15 steps of staircase. I lost 20 kilos a - Times of India - November 16th, 2019
- More Americans Say They're Trying to Shed Pounds - MedPage Today - November 16th, 2019
- 'This Is Us': Fans Think They Know the Real Reason Kate Is Missing From the Flash-Forwards (No, It's Not Because She's Dead) - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 16th, 2019
- Losing weight can help reverse diabetes - The Navhind Times - November 16th, 2019
- GIFFORD-JONES: As they say an ounce of prevention - Regina Leader-Post - November 16th, 2019
- How losing weight helped Eastwood mum fight depression and family trauma - Eastwood Advertiser - November 16th, 2019
- 7 healthy ways to break through a weight-loss plateau - Now To Love - November 16th, 2019
- Weight loss made easy with these top 10 satisfying snacks that are 100 calories or less - Express - November 16th, 2019
- Kim Kardashian West 'focused' on losing weight - FOX 11 and FOX 41 - November 16th, 2019
- Six Myths About Diabetes To Be Aware Of - Coach - November 16th, 2019
- How Joe Thomas went from 300-pound Browns left tackle to trim NFL analyst - cleveland.com - November 16th, 2019
- The power of group support: Slimming World is effective for patients with diabetes - PoliticsHome.com - November 16th, 2019
- 'I hope mum has inspired them' - incredible weight loss journey as woman loses more than 11 stone - Glasgow Live - November 16th, 2019
- Towies Amy Childs signs up for Celebs Go Dating as she joins Mel B and Amy Hart in bid to find love - The Sun - November 16th, 2019
- Tests that prevent severe disability or death - Clinton News Record - November 16th, 2019
- Being Overweight - breastcancer.org - October 2nd, 2019
- How Much Weight Is Safe to Lose in a Month? | Weight Loss ... - September 14th, 2019
- Losing Weight After 60 Is Hard Here Are 9 Ways to Drop ... - July 22nd, 2019
- How to Lose 10 Pounds Without Starving (Or Putting It ... - July 21st, 2019
- Weight loss: 6 strategies for success - Mayo Clinic - July 9th, 2019
- 5 Ways Saxenda Helps with Weight Loss & How to use it Safely - May 19th, 2019
- Top 10 Weight Loss Programs 2019 - Reviews, Costs & Features - May 16th, 2019
- Weight Management | Weight Loss | Henry Ford Health System ... - May 16th, 2019
- 13 Easy Ways to Lose Water Weight (Fast and Safely) - April 25th, 2019
- Losing weight guide | healthdirect - April 5th, 2019
- How to lose weight safely - Food and nutrition | NHS inform - March 15th, 2019
- Alcohol and Losing Weight | Is Alcohol Bad for Weight Loss? - March 13th, 2019
- The Complete Guide to Safely and Healthily Losing Weight Fast - March 12th, 2019
- Rapid Weight Loss: Is It Safe? Does It Work? - webmd.com - February 23rd, 2019
- Losing weight safely? | Yahoo Answers - February 22nd, 2019
- Autorotation - Wikipedia - February 9th, 2019
- Top 5 Natural Appetite Suppressants to Help Lose Weight ... - January 31st, 2019
- Ayurvedic Home Remedies For Weight Loss - Pitta Ayurveda - January 31st, 2019
- Start the NHS weight loss plan - NHS - January 14th, 2019
- Pointers on Losing Weight Safely - December 15th, 2018
- How to Safely Lose Weight During Pregnancy - healthline.com - December 6th, 2018
- How Can I Lose Weight Safely? - kidshealth.org - November 22nd, 2018
- PCOS Diet: Stop Counting Calories and Start Losing Weight ... - June 29th, 2018
- Lose weight - Live Well - NHS Choices - May 21st, 2018
- Underactive Pituitary Gland (Hypopituitarism) - Healthline - March 5th, 2018
- The Pituitary Society | Glossary of Terms Related to ... - March 5th, 2018
- Hypopituitary: Pituitary Gland Disorder Causes & Treatments - March 5th, 2018
- List At Least 5 Tips And Guidelines For Losing Weight Safely - February 28th, 2018
- Weight Loss Help in Little Rock AR Lose A Pound A Day Safely - January 29th, 2018
- How to lose weight fast, but safely - Healthy tips for ... - December 7th, 2017