A third of those who remained asymptomatic through their coronavirus infection could have developed immunity to Covid-19, new research suggests.
A study led by the Karolinska Institutet in Sweden found that public Covid-19 immunity levels could be as high as 30 per cent.
The findings showed that people with mild or no symptoms may have developed 'T-cell' immunity, despite testing negative for the antibodies usually needed to fight the disease.
Professor Hans-Gustaf Ljunggren, co-senior author of the paper, said: Our results indicate that public immunity to Covid-19 is probably significantly higher than antibody tests have suggested.
"If this is the case, it is of course very good news from a public health perspective.
Here's everything you need to know:
What are T-cells?
T-cells play a central role in the immune response.
Their important role in controlling and shaping the immune response comes through their provision of a variety of immune-related functions, such as immune-mediated cell death.
Certain types of T-cells also known as 'killer cells' are able to directly kill virus-infected cells, and can even recruit other cells when mounting an immune response.
Others affectionately known as 'helper cells' can indirectly kill cells identified as foreign by determining if and how other parts of the immune system respond to threats.
How do they affect coronavirus patients?
Research undertaken by London's Francis Crick Institute in May 2020 found those with severe forms of Covid-19 had extremely low T-cell number, and that the disease may be able to 'overpower' them.
The Insitute's Professor Adrian Hayday said it was a "great surprise" to see what was happening with the immune cells.
"They're trying to protect us, Prof Adrian toldthe BBC, but the virus seems to be doing something that's pulling the rug from under them, because their numbers have declined dramatically.
Scientists looked at immune cells in the blood of 60 Covid-19 patients and found an apparent crash in the numbers of T-cells.
Normal healthy adults have between 2,000 and 4,000 T-cells per microlitre (0.001ml) of blood; the Covid patients the team tested had around 200 1,200.
"The virus that has caused this completely Earth-changing emergency is unique - it's different. It is something unprecedented, saidProf Adrian.
"The exact reason for this disruption - the spanner in the works of the T-cell system - is not at all clear to us.
"This virus is really doing something distinct and future research... needs to find out the mechanism by which this virus is having these effects."
What does the new research mean?
Despite findings that Covid-19 may be able to bypass T-cells in patients with low numbers of them, the Karolinska Institutet's research found the cells could be a source of immunity for twice as many people as Covid-19 antibodies.
Marcus Buggert, assistant professor at the Centre for Infectious Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, and one of the papers main authors, said: Advanced analyses have now enabled us to map in detail the T-cell response during and after a Covid-19 infection.
Our results indicate that roughly twice as many people have developed T-cell immunity compared with those who we can detect antibodies in.
But there is still no evidence to suggest those with T-cell immunity cannot go on to become infected in the future.
Soo Aleman, a consultant at the Karolinska Institutet, said: One interesting observation was that it wasnt just individuals with verified Covid-19 who showed T-cell immunity but also many of their exposed asymptomatic family members.
So this is good, right?
While the findings certainly represent significant progress in the understanding of the disease, the researchers say further study is needed to understand how long-lasting immunity is.
Professor Danny Altmann, British Society for Immunology spokesperson and Professor of Immunology at Imperial College London, described the Karolinska Institutet's findings as "the most robust, impressive and thorough."
But he said, "the big unknown for the moment is which parameters of immunity offer the most faithful indicator of true, protective immunity from future infection.
- Healthy Men: What women need to know about men's health - Greater Milwaukee Today - November 20th, 2020
- 24 Ways to Increase Penis Sensitivity: Tips, Techniques, and More - Healthline - October 18th, 2020
- Centrapeak Testosterone Booster Review: Is it Better than Others on the Market? - generationiron.com - October 18th, 2020
- Erectile Dysfunction: A Look at the Most Common Causes - Feed Leader - October 10th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Announces Fiscal Q4 2020 Net Revenue of $14.9 Million, an Increase of 82% Sequentially, and 766% Year-Over-Year - BioSpace - October 6th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience to Report Fourth Quarter and Full Year Fiscal 2020 Results and Provide Business Update on Tuesday, October 6, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - October 6th, 2020
- Whats Causing My Low Testosterone? - September 29th, 2020
- Indianapolis Low T Center & Men's Clinic | Sleep Apnea ... - September 29th, 2020
- Could This Device Help Save Covid-19 Patients Before the ICU? - Houstonia Magazine - September 6th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Announces Manufacture and Delivery of Healight(TM) Devices for Use in COVID-19 Clinical Study - Yahoo Finance - August 17th, 2020
- How can you actively boost your low libido? - Big Think - August 11th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Announces Regulatory Approval of ZolpiMist(R) by Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration - BioSpace - July 30th, 2020
- New Osteoporosis Recommendations From AACE Help Therapy Selection - Medscape - July 25th, 2020
- Hormone therapy no cure-all for 'low T' in ageing men - Health24 - July 20th, 2020
- Strain engineering of the magnetic multipole moments and anomalous Hall effect in pyrochlore iridate thin films - Science Advances - July 20th, 2020
- Does Low Testosterone Cause Night Sweats? - July 7th, 2020
- Treating low testosterone levels - Harvard Health - July 7th, 2020
- AGING: Hormone therapy no cure-all for low T in men - Palm Beach Post - July 2nd, 2020
- COVID 19 Effect on Low T Therapy Market: an Increase in Technology Development Will Heighten Growth of Key Players: AbbVie, Endo International, Eli... - June 23rd, 2020
- Freddy McConnell Gave Birth to His Son. Then His Life Changed. - Esquire - June 18th, 2020
- Low T Therapy Market: What Will Happen to Key Players After COVID 19 Ends: AbbVie, Endo International, Eli Lilly - Cole of Duty - June 9th, 2020
- Ego might drive men to testosterone therapy, but it helps with certain conditions - The Columbus Dispatch - June 8th, 2020
- What Are T-Cells and Can They Protect You from COVID-19? - Labmate Online - June 8th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience to Report Fiscal Q3 FY 2020 Results and Business Update - Yahoo Finance - May 7th, 2020
- COVID-19: T cells offer clues to the potential power of Roche's Actemra - FierceBiotech - May 6th, 2020
- Peek on Low T Therapy Market Future, Extensive Studies and Prediction of Top Manufacturers Condition: AbbVie, Endo International, Eli Lilly - 3rd... - May 6th, 2020
- New clues on how to treat COVID-19 from T cell counts - The Nation - May 3rd, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Signs Development Agreement with Sterling Medical Devices to Advance the Development of Healight as a Potential Coronavirus Treatment... - April 29th, 2020
- Low T Center Is Committed To Meeting The Needs Of Colorado Patients During The COVID-19 Emergency - P&T Community - April 20th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Announces Positive Results from an Independently Conducted Clinical Study of the Company's Licensed COVID-19 IgG/IgM Point-of-Care... - April 17th, 2020
- The testosterone myth - The Week Magazine - April 12th, 2020
- Low T Therapy Market Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast 2020 2024 - Monroe Scoop - March 26th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Submits Notice of Commercialization to the FDA, Allowing for Company's Distribution of its 2-10 Minute COVID-19 IgG/IgM Point-of-Care... - March 23rd, 2020
- No, not everything about mens sexual behaviour can be explained by testosterone - Scroll.in - March 23rd, 2020
- Letters to the editor - Boston Herald - March 9th, 2020
- Low Testosterone - Symptoms & Treatment | Everyday Health - March 6th, 2020
- Lost revenue from low T fares must be recouped - Boston Herald - March 1st, 2020
- Indiana Regenerative Medicine Institute Offers Innovative Approaches in Regenerative Medicine, Hormone Replacement and Pain Management - Carmel... - March 1st, 2020
- Low Testosterone Causes | Everyday Health - February 24th, 2020
- Diagnosis, treatment and how to avoid osteoporosis - The Gazette - January 30th, 2020
- The Signs a Testosterone Booster is Needed - Science Times - January 22nd, 2020
- New Guideline for Testosterone Treatment in Men With 'Low T' - Medscape - January 9th, 2020
- John R. Hampton III, MD, is recognized by Continental Who's Who - PRNewswire - November 27th, 2019
- Expert Insights on Osteoporosis From the ACR/ARP 2019 Annual Meeting - Rheumatology Advisor - November 27th, 2019
- Low T Specialist - Dallas, TX & Frisco, TX: Men's T-Clinic ... - October 5th, 2019
- Does Insurance Cover Low T Treatment - Mantality Health - October 5th, 2019
- Low Testosterone Therapy (TRT) and Treatment from Low T Center - September 27th, 2019
- Low T Center, 549 East County Line Road, Building 4 Suite D ... - March 31st, 2019
- Low T Symptoms | Low Testosterone | Signs of Low T - March 12th, 2019
- Low T Treatment in Texas & Illinois | SynergenX Health ... - February 18th, 2019
- The Lowdown on Low-T - Discover Health - Rush University ... - February 18th, 2019
- The Low T Scam? - Testosterone Centers of Texas - Low T ... - February 18th, 2019
- Low T 99 - Testosterone Therapy: Bellevue, Seattle, Tacoma ... - December 31st, 2018
- Men, Low T, and the Facts | Lifespan - October 1st, 2018
- Denver Low T Medical Clinic and Testosterone Therapy Center - August 6th, 2018
- You've Heard About "Low T" But What About "Low E"? - April 23rd, 2018
- Low T 99 - 10 Photos - Health & Medical - 1239 120th Ave NE ... - April 23rd, 2018
- Low Testosterone Treatment - Carolina Men's Clinic - April 23rd, 2018
- Low T-Helper (CD4) Cell Level - Symptoms and Diagnosis - March 2nd, 2018
- ED Clinic Nashville TN, Erectile Dysfunction Treatment, Low T - February 10th, 2018
- Low-Testosterone (Low-T) - Controversy Over ... - AARP - January 11th, 2018
- Low testosterone symptoms | Effects of low testosterone - January 11th, 2018
- About Low Testosterone | Low T Center - December 29th, 2017
- Low Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Low T ... - Men's T Clinic - November 12th, 2017
- low t | eBay - November 12th, 2017
- Low Testosterone (Low T) Treatments - onhealth.com - November 2nd, 2017
- Low-T (Low Testosterone) Quiz: Symptoms, Signs & Treatment - October 22nd, 2017
- Erectile Dysfunction/Low T Men's Health Georgia - September 4th, 2017
- 10 easy ways to transform old band T-shirts into something new - Alternative Press - August 30th, 2017
- AbbVie Hit With $150 Million Loss in Low-T Cardiac Trial - Lexology (registration) - August 19th, 2017
- Low T Center returning to sponsor Sorenson - ESPN - August 18th, 2017
- Older men with 'low T' can improve their sex lives with testosterone therapy, study says - Men's Fitness - August 18th, 2017
- Center for Men | Tulsa Men's Clinic | Tulsa Low T - August 17th, 2017
- `Make Men Great Again' Speakers Bash Trans People While Pumping Up America's Girly Men - Southern Poverty Law Center - August 10th, 2017
- Doctors Address Low Testosterone Ads - CBS St. Louis - August 9th, 2017
- Low T - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Ehormones - August 2nd, 2017
- What does a low T cell count mean? DoctorNDTV Queries - August 2nd, 2017
- Column: Testosterone treatment reserved for men with symptoms ... - The Daily Courier - July 5th, 2017
- Testosterone treatment reserved for men with symptoms - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - July 5th, 2017
- Low T Trial: Testosterone Gel Increases Plaque in Arteries - DrugWatch.com - June 2nd, 2017