Upon first stepping into the luxurious, three-storey Camps Bay house, Lethabo Hanong felt a surge of conflicting emotions. I dont want to lie to you, I was perplexed. I had lots of mixed emotions. There were so many emotions it was difficult to connect with them. I was sad, I was happy, I was confused I was everything. You could name an emotion, I was feeling it.
Hanong, who identifies as a non-binary transgender woman, is a member of the queer feminist collective #WeSeeYou that has been making headlines recently since occupying the Camps Bay house in a bid to highlight the socioeconomic inequalities to which queer people are particularly vulnerable.
Hanong was left homeless after being rejected by their family. It happened when I started with hormone replacement therapy. My mother was okay with it at first, until my brother found out. He said my mother must do something about it and if she doesnt, he will stop giving my mother money.
Eventually, she took his side because my brother is the one who brings income into the house and I was unemployed, so
Hanong was offered a roof over their head by fellow collective members Sarah Summers and Kelly-Eve Koopman, whose rented home had, for months prior, served as something of a shelter for women and queer folk left destitute during the coronavirus pandemic.
Summers, one of the founding members of the collective, said: I think even prior to Covid-19, most people that were woke knew that across the entire world, there is a system of injustice thats been portrayed as the only way the world can exist. When Covid-19 came, it amplified that knowledge to people who had managed to disassociate. But for me, personally, it made it so loud that I wouldnt have been able to exist if I didnt do something. So I spoke to my partner and people I trust and from that, we started to broaden.
According to Koopman, it took three or four months of research, organising and culture-building before the group booked the house through Airbnb intending to remain and occupy it once the three-night stay they paid for was over.
In this street alone, most of these places are standing empty, Koopman said. I mean, we did the research and looked at the profiles of these places and there are so many houses that, for months and months on end, had nobody living in them during a time when we are at a crisis. And that is because it is so unfathomable to think about simply using existing infrastructure to accommodate and provide safe spaces for poor black people, for women, for queers, for people that dont belong here.
On a rainy Sunday afternoon, the day before the occupation officially kicked off, the house was bustling with nervous activity. At the kitchens entrance, a generator stood ready in case the electricity supply was to be cut off. Cupboards were stocked with canned foods. One of the occupants cooked a pot of pap while others busied themselves scrawling slogans We see you, Stop killing us and Normalise occupying on posters that were later plastered across the area. On a large table overlooking the beachfront in the distance, impepho smudge sticks waited to be burned. We did a cleansing of the house yesterday, said Hanong.
They have usurped a 21st-century laager of privilege to make their point. Whether you agree or not, their point has been made
Dressed in a T-shirt featuring a picture of Winnie Madikizela-Mandela and sitting cross-legged on the lounge floors shag rug, Koopman said: This is a peaceful action, which we are doing in solidarity with other occupations. Everyone [in this group] comes from different backgrounds. But we decided quite soon that it was going to be a queer and POC-only [people of colour] space. We wanted it to be a queer-centred and led space because there are so few queer-led safe spaces, where we dont have to engage with queerness and gender politics as another kind of struggle, as something that we have to fight for. And thats been really, really incredible and very healing.
Bradley Rink is a senior lecturer at the University of the Western Cape who specialises in mobility, cities and urban identities. For Rink, the occupation did not come as a surprise considering Cape Towns spatial inequalities and violence against queer individuals and communities.
Covid-19 has not only destroyed many lives and livelihoods, but it has also acted to rupture existing inequalities that have been lurking below the surface but that have been long understood and experienced by many, said Rink. What is perhaps surprising is the way that the occupiers have drawn their own pink line, building on the title of Mark Gevissers recent book, and shone a light on the intersectionalities of exclusion, including race, sexual [orientation] and gender identity.
Rink added that though South Africa has a long history of protest action and land occupation, the strategy employed by the collective is new. What is unique about this situation is the way that the occupiers have made their point by interrupting the so-called sharing economy that is an important feature of short-term letting of holiday accommodation in Cape Town. From a geographical perspective, protest demonstrates the power to articulate mobility. By occupying a property in an exclusive suburb of Cape Town, the occupiers have immobilised others by mobilising themselves. They have usurped a 21st-century laager of privilege to make their point. Whether you agree with them or not, their point has been made clearly.
Democratic Alliance ward councillor Rob Quintas is among those who disagrees with the occupation. In a statement deriding the collectives action as reckless, self-indulgent and counterproductive, Quintas wrote: It is disingenuous that the group has chosen to put their interests above those of the thousands of workers employed in the Airbnb industry. It is surely foreseeable that homeowners will no longer offer their houses to let as Airbnb tourist venues if this can result in illegal occupation.
#WeSeeYou member Xena Scullard hit back. This is, we dare say, a very fucking clever way to normalise occupying [and becoming] less reliant on a state that is seeking to bide time, that is captured and that is also keeping the [wealthy] comfortable where they are because, you know, nobody touches them. And so we dare touch them in this way, said Scullard, to the agreeing nods of other members in the family, as they refer to each other.
For people like us, historically, family isnt this nice, white-picket-fence space, Scullard said by way of explanation. Family can often be very fucking violent. It can be very dysfunctional and it can be very traumatic. So, over these past months of organising, it was really important for us to sit with that trauma in our group and try to work through it. Because we come with that trauma. It was important for us to be able to say we can choose a family and we can choose what it looks like. We can choose what safety looks like, we can choose what abundance and care looks like. Care has been very important in our group.
The potential for a violent fallout to their occupation is something of which the collective is well aware. Im very scared, yes, Vatheka Halile conceded. But, you know, we have to do this. Covid-19 has shown us that we are really vulnerable Some of our people took over public land in locations like Khayelitsha and Mfuleni and they were brutally violated. The land that they were taking, people were saying it belongs to the City of Cape Town or to [big corporations]. So where is our land? Where is the space for us? Where?
Summers added that, for the collective, its also about choosing what violence you are going to endure. Many of us have a lived experience that hasnt been very safe for us. As a collective, we talk about fear all the time. But we also talk about moving through that fear and using the collective to hold ourselves and each other safe. We know the risk we are putting ourselves under, but we still choose it. Hopefully, we will be given the opportunity to really show how we as a country of all types could work together to make change, to create the kind of economy where we are all safe. Because the one right now doesnt work.
In a joint statement issued by two queer rights organisations, Gender DynamiX and the Triangle Project, the non-governmental organisations noted that they were in the process [of setting] up conversations with the queer collective to determine what our next steps could be to address the issues the collective is raising.
A little more than a week after taking occupancy of the house, and on the day of Hanongs 23rd birthday, the group was issued with an eviction notice from the sheriff of the court. The notice did little to change Hanongs mood. I feel like a human being since I am here in this house, they said. I feel like I belong. Even though it is difficult for me to go out and take a walk, things will get better. I feel safe here. I just want a safe place, a place where I will be able to take my meds and feel free to be me, not pretend to be someone else. And for the first time in a long time, I feel safe.
On 2 October, the high court in Cape Town ruled that the collective has until noon on 8 October to vacate the property.
This is an edited version of an article first published by New Frame
Originally posted here:
So where is our land? Where is the space for us? - Mail and Guardian
- Impact of COVID-19 Crisis on Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Demand and Consumption Growth, Predicts Fact.MR - The Cloud Tribune - October 25th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Comprehensive Growth by 2017 to 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 25th, 2020
- Thoughts of Breast Health in Breast Cancer Awareness Month - Yahoo Singapore News - October 25th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market 2020 Determined By Manufacturing Summary, Business Profile And Estimate To 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Demand (2020-2026) | Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies |... - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Trends, Global Growth, Insights And Forecast Research Report 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market anticipates revenue will hit up to XX% CAGR by 2026: Segmentation by Revenue, Gross margin, Industrial Analysis,... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market By Manufacturers, Development Strategy, Upcoming Trends and Huge Growth By 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 21st, 2020
- Hammerling-Hodgers: Don't delay if you have any signs of breast cancer - Florida Today - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Exponential Growth by 2018 to 2028 - Aerospace Journal - October 21st, 2020
- Exclusive Interview with Dr. Zainab Mogul-Ashraf (Dr. Z) of Hebe Medical Spa - Hudson Valley Style Magazine - October 21st, 2020
- Women's Health Diagnostics Market projected to expand at a CAGR of ~6% from 2019 to 2027 - The Think Curiouser - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 Global Analysis By Application, End-User, Market Share, Demand, Supply, Technological Trends And Forecast Till... - October 21st, 2020
- US Food and Drug Administration Accepts for Priority Review Applications for OPDIVO (nivolumab) in Combination with CABOMETYX (cabozantinib) in... - October 21st, 2020
- DSEJ organises Webinar on Breast Cancer Disease- Early Detection Saves Lives - India Education Diary - October 21st, 2020
- Having Large Testicles May be linked to Cardiovascular Disease Italian Study Shows - Gilmore Health News - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Exclusive Report Analysis 2020-2025 - Aerospace Journal - October 21st, 2020
- Anti-Osteoporosis Therapy And Fracture Healing Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2028: Novartis, Johnson and Johnson, GlaxoSmithKline PLC, Roche... - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Research Conclusions|Business Plans|Strategies with Forecast 20 - PharmiWeb.com - October 17th, 2020
- Davina McCall spoke candidly about her experience of perimenopause and HRT on Loose Women - goodhousekeeping.com - October 17th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Report 2019 with Key Players, Regions, Trends, Market Growth, SWOT Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 17th, 2020
- Schedule Your Breast Cancer Screening this Month - raccoonvalleyradio.com - October 17th, 2020
- World Menopause Day: 5 must have products to cure hormonal imbalance - India Today - October 17th, 2020
- Earlier pubertal timing predicts higher psychosexuality in adulthood - PsyPost - October 17th, 2020
- The News Journal 5 things you can start doing now to help reduce your risk of breast cancer - The News Journal - October 17th, 2020
- UMass Amherst Recognized as a Top LGBTQ-Friendly Campus for 10th Consecutive Year - UMass News and Media Relations - October 17th, 2020
- Extensive new medi-wellness resort, RAKxa, will offer complete blueprint of health in Bangkok's 'Green Lung' - Spa Business - October 17th, 2020
- Raising awareness of menopause, what it is and why you arent alone - Brighton & Hove Independent - October 17th, 2020
- One key to improving medical care:... - Kirkland Reporter - October 17th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size 2020, Production, Share, Revenue, Analysis and Innovative Revolution and Forecast Report to 2026 -... - October 17th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size, Key Trends, Challenges and Standardization, Research, Key Players with COVID 19 Impact Analysis and... - October 7th, 2020
- Message to Rep. Wes Allen: HB1 is an attack on transgendered youths and parental rights - Montgomery Advertiser - October 7th, 2020
- Shoptalk: Parent company to temporarily close Edwards Grand Teton theater - Post Register - October 7th, 2020
- Press A, Be Gay: LGBTQ Representation in Video Games - QNotes - October 7th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Industry Key Drivers, Business Insights And Forecast 2024 | F. Hoffmann-La Roche, Merck Serono, Novartis - uco360.com - October 7th, 2020
- Sex and Menopause, According to a Neuroscientist - Glamour - October 7th, 2020
- Your Health Is on the Ballot: Why You Should Vote for Science in the 2020 Presidential Election - Prevention.com - October 7th, 2020
- Hormone therapy is an option to treat breast cancer - Hamilton Journal News - October 3rd, 2020
- Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Solid Analyzed Segmentation, Demand, Recent Share Estimation and Growth Prospects by Regions to 2022... - October 3rd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact: Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market | Strategic Industry Evolutionary Analysis Focus on Leading Key Players and Revenue Growth... - October 3rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy market size was US$ 15950 million and it is expected to reach US$ 17720 million by the end of 2026, with a CAGR of 1.5% -... - October 3rd, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Tablets Market Covid 19 Overview:Demand Analysis & Growth Opportunities By 2019-2026||ALLERGAN, Novo... - October 3rd, 2020
- Solving the Mystery of My Missing Menstruation - ELLE.com - October 3rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Technological Advancement & Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - October 1st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market - Quantitative Analysis, Current and Future Trends, 2018 to 2028 - The Market Records - October 1st, 2020
- Hormone replacement therapy market- factors responsible for driving or restraining the market - Credence Turbine - October 1st, 2020
- In the Business of Beautifying Hudson Valley, One Face at a Time Hebe Medical Spa in Fishkill, NY - Hudson Valley Style Magazine - October 1st, 2020
- The HER2 Testing market to Transcend the Covid-19 Barrier from 2021 onwards - The Market Records - October 1st, 2020
- Hormone therapy is an option to treat breast cancer - The Albany Herald - September 30th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Mithra Pharmaceuticals,... - September 30th, 2020
- Why Some Experts Say Cannabis Is Effective in Treating Menopause - Healthline - September 30th, 2020
- Ascendis Pharma A/S Announces Preliminary Six-Month Data from Open-Label Extension of Phase 2 PaTH Forward Trial and Files IND Amendment to Initiate... - September 30th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2019 - 2024 - The Market Records - September 30th, 2020
- Medical profession cares little for women with early onset menopause - The Independent - September 30th, 2020
- Trans youth are less likely to have suicidal thoughts with early care - Insider - INSIDER - September 30th, 2020
- Menopausal Women May Be Able To Give Birth After Blood Plasma Injections - Anti Aging News - September 30th, 2020
- Genomics Market to Rise at 19.5% CAGR and Reach USD 82.60 Billion by 2027; Advances in Diagnostic Applications will Lead to a Wider Product Adoption,... - September 30th, 2020
- Relationship of breastfeeding duration with joint pain and knee osteoarthritis in middle-aged Korean women: a cross-sectional study using the Korea... - September 30th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market is Set for Lucrative Growth During 20202026 Zion Market Research - The Daily Chronicle - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market 2019 Services, Demand, Size, Growth Trends, Business Opportunities, Industry Analysis, Top Players &... - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size is Thriving worldwide with Topmost Keyplayer Like:Eli Lilly, Pfizer, AbbVie, Novo Nordisk, Merck KGaA - Weekly... - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market share forecast to witness considerable growth from 2020 to 2025 | By Top Leading Vendors F. Hoffmann-La Roche,... - September 28th, 2020
- Everything You Need To Know About Ovarian Cancer Diagnosis - NDTV Doctor - September 28th, 2020
- New Detailed Information: Hormone Replacement Therapy Market By Global Trends, Business Growth, And Forecasts 2026 | Covid19 Impact Analysis | Key... - September 22nd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market has Huge Impact in Industry 2020 2026 - Verdant News - September 22nd, 2020
- Dar Bioscience Receives $0.9 million Under the Current Grant - BioSpace - September 22nd, 2020
- Early menopause puts women at 'significantly' higher risk of depression, study finds - TheSpec.com - September 22nd, 2020
- Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - The Bethel Citizen - September 18th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market-Segment Market Trends, Analysis and Forecast 2019 2023 - Scientect - September 18th, 2020
- Dyspareunia: What Causes Pain During Sex and How Can it Be Prevented? - News18 - September 18th, 2020
- Predictive Analytics in Healthcare Market Growth Rate, Demands, Status and Application Forecast to 2026 - AlgosOnline - September 18th, 2020
- Isle of Wight author calling on NHS to offer 'pain-free' cancer treatment option - Isle of Wight County Press - September 18th, 2020
- Dr. Roach: Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - The Detroit News - September 15th, 2020
- Assessing the COVID-19 Effect: Hormone Replacement Therapy Production Moderately Disrupted by Labor Shortages of Labor in Pandemic, Says Fact.MR - The... - September 15th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19: Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Share, Growth, Demand, Trends, Region Wise Analysis Of Top Players And Forecasts |Abbott... - September 15th, 2020
- The Chronicle of the Horse - The Chronicle of the Horse - September 15th, 2020
- Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - Hays Daily News - September 12th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Pharmaceutical Contract Manufacturing and Contract Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - The Market Chronicles - September 12th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Research Report Contains Key Players, Industry Overview, Supply Chain, Analysis and Forecast to 2020-2025 -... - September 12th, 2020
- The office is still in the closet - Bangalore Mirror - September 12th, 2020