Life goes beyond the digits on the scale and your body is capable of so much more. Yahoos #Fitspo of the Week series is dedicated to inspirational men and women in Singapore leading healthy and active lifestyles. Have someone to recommend? HitCherylup on Instagram or Facebook.
Name: Rayson Yong Wei Xiang (@raysonyong)
Occupation: Customer service executive
Diet: I tend to include a lot of vegetables and fruits in my diet, avoid fried food and eat everything in moderation the usual. I also stop eating after 8pm, as this helps me to not munch on excess calories (read: snacks) near bedtime.
Training: I am currently training five days a week. I will hit the gym either during lunch time or after work. I split my workouts into three categories Push, Pull and Leg and there will be a rest day in between for recovery. I usually spend about an hour at the gym, with a very short break in between sets to maximise efficiency.
Q: What kind of sports did you do in school?
A: I played badminton and volleyball during my secondary school days, and I represented my teams at inter-class competitions. I also played tennis leisurely for about a year in my final year in polytechnic.
When Rayson Yong was at his heaviest, he suffered ailments such as high blood pressure and lower back aches. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)
Over the years, you started to gain weight and you let yourself go. How did that happen?
I did not play any sports nor join any fitness clubs after I left school. I started work shortly after completing my national service. Back then, I was not active and was eating irregularly due to work. During the weekends, I would just stay at home, play games and eat on my bed. This went on for 12 years.
When did you realise it was time to do something?
The awakening came when I was getting ready for my reservist back in late 2017 and I could no longer fit into my uniform. At that point, I weighed 91kg and had a BMI of 30.4, which was way beyond the healthy or ideal range. I was basically 25kg over my ideal weight.
To top it off, I was having issues with high blood pressure and lower back aches. I was also falling sick regularly and constantly feeling lethargic. It was then that I knew I had to do something about my excess weight to prevent it from damaging my health.
What kickstarted your fitness regime?
I tried losing weight by cutting out carbohydrates completely from my diet. I thought at the time that this was the easiest way to lose weight without having to spend too much time and energy exercising. However, I started having withdrawal syndromes and was feeling nauseated and light-headed, and I wasnt enjoying my new diet as well. That was when I realised that it wasnt sustainable.
My friend, Benny, whos a member at Fitness First, encouraged me to start going to the gym for more effective results. He mentioned that the trainers could guide me through my nutrition and weight loss journey.
Rayson Yong began to see success in his weight-loss regime after getting advice from a personal trainer. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)
Initially, did you feel intimidated about going to the gym?
I signed up for a membership at Fitness First back in March 2018 due to the convenience of their locations around the island so that I could get a workout done wherever I am. I felt intimidated initially because it was my first time stepping into a gym. I was overweight, unfit, and had no experience with the equipment then, so I was quite worried about how I would perform and if my body could take on the intensity of the workouts.
How did you overcome the fear?
I had a personal trainer, Daniel Tan, who guided me through the gym equipment and routines, and showed me the correct form when exercising so I dont get injured. In addition to personal training sessions, I started attending lunch classes with my gym buddies Benny and Michelle.
The first class I attended was RPM (indoor group cycling workout). For someone who was overweight and unfit back then, cycling still seemed easy and manageable or so I thought. But I was wrong! Muscles which I never knew existed started to awaken from years of inactivity. While my body was sore and ached for the next few days, I never felt more alive and stronger.
I continued to push myself and tried out different group classes with Benny and Michelle. After three to four months of exercising I continued to try out different group classes available at Fitness First, such as RPM, Body Pump, Body Combat, Body Steps, Body Jam, Yoga, and Spartan Training.
When did you start seeing change in your body?
I saw progress as my weight fell from 91kg to 80kg I took a whole 11kg off. I felt a strong sense of achievement and was motivated to set higher goals for myself to become stronger and leaner. With these goals in mind, I signed on for another 24 sessions of personal training with Daniel.
By September 2018, I weighed 72kg with a steady decrease in my fat percentage and by December 2018, I reached my goal of 67kg I was at the leanest form ever in my entire life. My shirt size dropped from XL to S and my waist also shrank from 38 inches to 29 inches.
It's like a brand new you - how have people reacted and how do you feel about the new you?
Funny you say that. In the third quarter of 2019, Fitness First organised a motivational award ceremony called the New You Achievement Awards that recognises and celebrates the health and fitness achievements of members. With the successes I made and the lessons I learnt, I decided to take part in the awards because I hoped for my story to inspire others to not be afraid to take on the challenges in life.
After shedding weight, Rayson Yong signed up for his gym's motivational award ceremony, in hope that his weight-loss journey can inspire others to not be afraid to take on the challenges in life. (PHOTO: Courtesy of Rayson Yong/Cheryl Tay)
To be honest, my fitness journey was not smooth-sailing. There was a lot of pain, frustration and self-doubt. But with the encouragement of my friends, family, fitness buddies and personal trainer I persevered.
After I shed the pounds, I received many compliments from my family and friends on how well and lean I look. And there were of course some who could not recognise me at all. My health also improved tremendously.
What else have you been up to besides going to the gym?
I completed my first 10km and half-marathon in October 2018 and April 2019 respectively. I also completed the Spartan Sprint race last August. I am looking forward to challenge myself with a full marathon and a more challenging version of the Spartan race.
What are your fitness goals now?
My goal for 2020 is to continue to increase my muscle mass, make good food decisions, and live healthily.
When did you feel the least confident about yourself?
I did have doubts initially when my training did not seem to be effective after my first three months, as my muscle mass did not increase despite me diligently hitting the gym every day to attend classes and doing weights training.
Daniel then advised me to focus on weight training, and increase the intensity and weights over time. That was when I start to see progress and managed to lose body fat as well as increase my overall muscle mass.
Singapore #Fitspo of the Week: Rayson Yong. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)
Read this article:
Singapore #Fitspo of the Week: Rayson Yong - Yahoo Singapore News
- UK's Johnson says he is fit as a butcher's dog after losing weight - Reuters - September 29th, 2020
- Edinburgh students claim they are losing weight and 'haven't eaten in days' - Edinburgh Live - September 29th, 2020
- Morning or Evening: Which is the Best Time to Exercise to Lose Weight? - News18 - September 29th, 2020
- Ideal weight for Indian men and women increased to 65-55kg: Here are a few tips to stay fit - Times Now - September 29th, 2020
- Doing intermittent fasting wrong could make you gain weight - Malay Mail - September 29th, 2020
- Tips to ditch post pregnancy weight without exercising - Times of India - September 29th, 2020
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Contestants Who Lost Weight on the Show - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 29th, 2020
- WEIGH TO GO: BELFAST PERSONAL TRAINER LAUNCHES ONLINE FITNESS BUSINESS - Love Belfast - September 29th, 2020
- The Incredible Journey of Jinh Yu Frey - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - September 29th, 2020
- Focus fitness journey on progress and laugh along the way | Molnar - Tallahassee Democrat - September 29th, 2020
- Weight Loss Transformation Heather Gomez Run to Lose Weight - runnersworld.com - September 25th, 2020
- 7 Benefits of Exercise (Other Than Weight-Loss) Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - September 25th, 2020
- Eating Healthy Is More Important Than Weight Loss for Heart Health - Healthline - September 25th, 2020
- HIIT along with rowing and cycling can help type 2 d..etes patients lose weight, improve insulin sensitivity - Firstpost - September 25th, 2020
- 14 Simple And Effective Tips To Lose Weight After Pregnancy - Yahoo India News - September 25th, 2020
- The 3 Most Common Things People Get Wrong About Weight Loss, and How to Avoid Them - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 25th, 2020
- Why its hard to lose weight when you have PCOS - All4Women - September 25th, 2020
- Weight loss customized for the one-and-only YOU - KING5.com - September 25th, 2020
- What is diabetes? A comprehensive guide to lower blood sugar and manage the condition - Insider - INSIDER - September 25th, 2020
- RHONJs Margaret Josephs shows off amazing weight loss in skintight white lace dress at the beach with h - The Sun - September 25th, 2020
- World's most obese man shed nearly 400 kilos, went on to beat Covid-19 - Mexico News Daily - September 25th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson shows off 40-pound weight loss in a skintight gown on Monte Carlo getaway with boyfriend Jacob - The Irish Sun - September 25th, 2020
- Stroud chef: from 26 stone to Cotswold 113 half Ironman - Stroud News and Journal - September 25th, 2020
- Having a Seizure Inspired Rick Ross' Weight Loss Transformation - menshealth.com - September 20th, 2020
- Lockdown weight loss story: I lost 14 kilos in just 2.5 months with my husbands support! - Times of India - September 20th, 2020
- Keto Diet For Weight Loss: 5 Side Effects That Signal You Need To Quit This Diet Instantly - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- Carbs Or Calories: What Should You Focus On For Weight Loss? Experts Reveal - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- How Long Does It Really Take to Lose Belly Fluff? - Greatist - September 20th, 2020
- Phil Mickelson reveals the 2 secrets behind his weight loss transformation - Golf.com - September 20th, 2020
- Kelly Clarkson Once Got Candid about Weight-Loss Tips Photos before & after Her Transformation - AmoMama - September 20th, 2020
- 5 lifestyle habits that are increasing your numbers on the weighing scale - TheHealthSite - September 20th, 2020
- 'I Did An F45 Training Challenge Ahead Of My Wedding And Got In The Best Shape Of My Life' - Women's Health - September 20th, 2020
- Holly Madison, 'Girls Next Door' Star, Shows off Dramatic Transformation 4 Years After Giving Birth to Second Child - PopCulture.com - September 20th, 2020
- Which Aids Better In Weight Loss- Fish Or Chicken? Expert Reveals - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- 22 effective tips to lose belly fat, according to experts - Netdoctor - September 20th, 2020
- 5 Metabolism boosting teas to aid you in shedding extra pounds - PINKVILLA - September 20th, 2020
- Coping with an eating disorder during the COVID-19 pandemic - KENS5.com - September 20th, 2020
- Mama Junes daughter Pumpkin, 20, shows off slimmer waist in crop top after vowing to lose weight - The Sun - September 20th, 2020
- She has overcome anorexia - and dancer has now warned of government's 'dangerous' plan to tackle obesity - Manchester Evening News - September 20th, 2020
- A new routine to lose the Covid stone - Leitrim Observer - September 20th, 2020
- Want to get big arms and improve grip? This 3-move kettlebell arm workout is what you need - T3 - September 20th, 2020
- Walking to lose weight: how long, how many steps a day, at what pace ... All you need to know - POP TIMES UK - September 12th, 2020
- What is the CICO diet? All about the calories-in-calories-out diet - TODAY - September 12th, 2020
- Psoriatic Arthritis-Friendly Weight Loss Tips - Everyday Health - September 12th, 2020
- He wanted to join the US Army but wasn't fit. So he lost over 100 pounds. - yoursun.com - September 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss: The War on Fat | ITV News - ITV News - September 12th, 2020
- Weight loss is key to type 2 diabetes prevention and reversal - Diabetes.co.uk - September 12th, 2020
- Five ways to reduce the calories in your favourite takeaway meal - MyLondon - September 12th, 2020
- Go Kyung Pyo explains the reason for his dramatic weight difference in two photos - allkpop - September 12th, 2020
- How to live longer: The 55p item that may lower risk of early death from cancer - Express - September 12th, 2020
- I Had a Heart Attack at 49, Went Vegan, and It Saved my Life - The Beet - September 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How High Knees Exercise Can Help You Lose Body Fat (Watch Video) - LatestLY - September 12th, 2020
- Veteran-Owned Battle Bars Honor Local Patriot Heroes with Every Purchase - Small Business Trends - September 12th, 2020
- Longbenton grandmother drops eight dress sizes after 'hating' what she saw in photos - Chronicle Live - September 12th, 2020
- At 82, My Grandmother Has Lost Her Husband And The World As She Knows It - BuzzFeed News - September 12th, 2020
- Trying to Lose Weight? Here are 6 Proteins to Enjoy and 3 to Avoid - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 8th, 2020
- Nutrisystem Launches Innovative Partner Plan to Encourage and Help Maintain Weight Loss - WFMZ Allentown - September 8th, 2020
- Losing Weight as a Couple Is the Secret to Shedding Pounds, Study Finds - Best Life - September 8th, 2020
- Jennifer Aniston was asked to lose weight if she wanted to stay on Friends - The News International - September 8th, 2020
- Piers Morgan says he needs to be 'shamed' into losing weight as he defends Kevin Pieterson's comments - Evening Standard - September 8th, 2020
- How to live longer: The fermented vegetable proven to reduce risk of early death - Express - September 8th, 2020
- Long Beach Poly's Ashton Sylve Wins Professional Boxing Debut - The562.org - September 8th, 2020
- How metformin works and why it's effective for type 2 diabetes - Business Insider India - September 8th, 2020
- The 18 Unhealthiest Breads on the Planet - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 8th, 2020
- Consumers Turn to Plant-Based Foods During the Pandemic - The Beet - September 8th, 2020
- Mikey Moon's health and fitness column: 'Miracles' too good to be true - Blackpool Gazette - September 8th, 2020
- Why sleep is so important for losing weight - The Conversation UK - September 5th, 2020
- How to lose weight: 71-year-old loses 62 pounds in 6 months - TODAY - September 5th, 2020
- Weight loss diet plan: 2 nutritionists share the ideal Indian diet plan to lose weight - Times of India - September 5th, 2020
- Losing weight with detox teas - Popular choices, health benefits and side effects - Times Now - September 5th, 2020
- My Mother-in-Law Told My 12-Year Old to Lose Weight and Fix Her Face - Slate - September 5th, 2020
- 5 Easy Ways to Detox in the Morning to Be Healthier All Day Long - The Beet - September 5th, 2020
- National Nutrition Week: Coconut oil can help you lose weight, build immunity and also get great skin... - Hindustan Times - September 5th, 2020
- Breastfeeding can help you lose pregnancy weight. Here's how - Times of India - September 5th, 2020
- Redditch councillor hoping his weight loss will also be his gain - Redditch Standard - September 5th, 2020
- Prairie Fare: Have You Avoided the 'Pandemic 15'? - Pierce County Tribune - September 5th, 2020
- After losing Brandon Williams, here's what the Arizona Wildcats' 2021 roster looks like - Arizona Daily Star - September 5th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How Spiderman Plank Exercise Can Help You Lose Belly Fat (Watch Video) - LatestLY - September 5th, 2020
- North-east care home given a month to make improvements after inspectors find residents are losing weight and at increased risk of falling - Press and... - September 5th, 2020
- RLC Labs, Inc., Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of All Lots of Nature-Throid and WP Thyroid with Current Expiry Due to Sub Potency - FDA.gov - September 5th, 2020