Life goes beyond the digits on the scale and your body is capable of so much more. Yahoos #Fitspo of the Week series is dedicated to inspirational men and women in Singapore leading healthy and active lifestyles. Have someone to recommend? HitCherylup on Instagram or Facebook.
Name: Rayson Yong Wei Xiang (@raysonyong)
Occupation: Customer service executive
Diet: I tend to include a lot of vegetables and fruits in my diet, avoid fried food and eat everything in moderation the usual. I also stop eating after 8pm, as this helps me to not munch on excess calories (read: snacks) near bedtime.
Training: I am currently training five days a week. I will hit the gym either during lunch time or after work. I split my workouts into three categories Push, Pull and Leg and there will be a rest day in between for recovery. I usually spend about an hour at the gym, with a very short break in between sets to maximise efficiency.
Q: What kind of sports did you do in school?
A: I played badminton and volleyball during my secondary school days, and I represented my teams at inter-class competitions. I also played tennis leisurely for about a year in my final year in polytechnic.
When Rayson Yong was at his heaviest, he suffered ailments such as high blood pressure and lower back aches. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)
Over the years, you started to gain weight and you let yourself go. How did that happen?
I did not play any sports nor join any fitness clubs after I left school. I started work shortly after completing my national service. Back then, I was not active and was eating irregularly due to work. During the weekends, I would just stay at home, play games and eat on my bed. This went on for 12 years.
When did you realise it was time to do something?
The awakening came when I was getting ready for my reservist back in late 2017 and I could no longer fit into my uniform. At that point, I weighed 91kg and had a BMI of 30.4, which was way beyond the healthy or ideal range. I was basically 25kg over my ideal weight.
To top it off, I was having issues with high blood pressure and lower back aches. I was also falling sick regularly and constantly feeling lethargic. It was then that I knew I had to do something about my excess weight to prevent it from damaging my health.
What kickstarted your fitness regime?
I tried losing weight by cutting out carbohydrates completely from my diet. I thought at the time that this was the easiest way to lose weight without having to spend too much time and energy exercising. However, I started having withdrawal syndromes and was feeling nauseated and light-headed, and I wasnt enjoying my new diet as well. That was when I realised that it wasnt sustainable.
My friend, Benny, whos a member at Fitness First, encouraged me to start going to the gym for more effective results. He mentioned that the trainers could guide me through my nutrition and weight loss journey.
Rayson Yong began to see success in his weight-loss regime after getting advice from a personal trainer. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)
Initially, did you feel intimidated about going to the gym?
I signed up for a membership at Fitness First back in March 2018 due to the convenience of their locations around the island so that I could get a workout done wherever I am. I felt intimidated initially because it was my first time stepping into a gym. I was overweight, unfit, and had no experience with the equipment then, so I was quite worried about how I would perform and if my body could take on the intensity of the workouts.
How did you overcome the fear?
I had a personal trainer, Daniel Tan, who guided me through the gym equipment and routines, and showed me the correct form when exercising so I dont get injured. In addition to personal training sessions, I started attending lunch classes with my gym buddies Benny and Michelle.
The first class I attended was RPM (indoor group cycling workout). For someone who was overweight and unfit back then, cycling still seemed easy and manageable or so I thought. But I was wrong! Muscles which I never knew existed started to awaken from years of inactivity. While my body was sore and ached for the next few days, I never felt more alive and stronger.
I continued to push myself and tried out different group classes with Benny and Michelle. After three to four months of exercising I continued to try out different group classes available at Fitness First, such as RPM, Body Pump, Body Combat, Body Steps, Body Jam, Yoga, and Spartan Training.
When did you start seeing change in your body?
I saw progress as my weight fell from 91kg to 80kg I took a whole 11kg off. I felt a strong sense of achievement and was motivated to set higher goals for myself to become stronger and leaner. With these goals in mind, I signed on for another 24 sessions of personal training with Daniel.
By September 2018, I weighed 72kg with a steady decrease in my fat percentage and by December 2018, I reached my goal of 67kg I was at the leanest form ever in my entire life. My shirt size dropped from XL to S and my waist also shrank from 38 inches to 29 inches.
It's like a brand new you - how have people reacted and how do you feel about the new you?
Funny you say that. In the third quarter of 2019, Fitness First organised a motivational award ceremony called the New You Achievement Awards that recognises and celebrates the health and fitness achievements of members. With the successes I made and the lessons I learnt, I decided to take part in the awards because I hoped for my story to inspire others to not be afraid to take on the challenges in life.
After shedding weight, Rayson Yong signed up for his gym's motivational award ceremony, in hope that his weight-loss journey can inspire others to not be afraid to take on the challenges in life. (PHOTO: Courtesy of Rayson Yong/Cheryl Tay)
To be honest, my fitness journey was not smooth-sailing. There was a lot of pain, frustration and self-doubt. But with the encouragement of my friends, family, fitness buddies and personal trainer I persevered.
After I shed the pounds, I received many compliments from my family and friends on how well and lean I look. And there were of course some who could not recognise me at all. My health also improved tremendously.
What else have you been up to besides going to the gym?
I completed my first 10km and half-marathon in October 2018 and April 2019 respectively. I also completed the Spartan Sprint race last August. I am looking forward to challenge myself with a full marathon and a more challenging version of the Spartan race.
What are your fitness goals now?
My goal for 2020 is to continue to increase my muscle mass, make good food decisions, and live healthily.
When did you feel the least confident about yourself?
I did have doubts initially when my training did not seem to be effective after my first three months, as my muscle mass did not increase despite me diligently hitting the gym every day to attend classes and doing weights training.
Daniel then advised me to focus on weight training, and increase the intensity and weights over time. That was when I start to see progress and managed to lose body fat as well as increase my overall muscle mass.
Singapore #Fitspo of the Week: Rayson Yong. (PHOTO: Cheryl Tay)
Read this article:
Singapore #Fitspo of the Week: Rayson Yong - Yahoo Singapore News
- Adele diet: Is this the food the Hello singer eats to maintain seven stone weight loss? - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge weight loss how Lose Weight and Get Fit star shed 12st - The Sun - February 15th, 2020
- Olly Murs weight loss: Star used easy trick to shed 1st and blast belly fat in 12 weeks - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Honey Boo Boo Weight Loss: Did The Star Pull It Off? - Daily Hawker - February 15th, 2020
- How Mickey Jogoleff Lost 80 Pounds While Working Out Less and Eating More Carbs - BarBend - February 15th, 2020
- Breastfeeding girls mustn't eat these items, it might not hurt your child - Sahiwal Tv - February 15th, 2020
- Reduce weight the Ayurveda means - Health Writeups - February 15th, 2020
- Mum loses the equivalent of another 'person' in weight and reverses her diabetes - Bristol Post - February 15th, 2020
- The Healthiest Place on Earth - Thrive Global - February 15th, 2020
- Family fight to reunite with son left 5,000 miles away in Pakistan orphanage - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Outdoors: Keeping warm during the second month - Fall River Herald News - February 15th, 2020
- Scientific BREAKTHROUGH: DNA discovery finds some in 60s have genetic age of 20-YEAR-OLD - Express.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Healthcare boost addresses ageing population in Sri Lanka - Indian NewsLink - February 15th, 2020
- Yep, Its TrueStaying Positive Can Actually Help You Maintain Weight Loss - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast - Quick & Easy Weight Loss Tips - February 15th, 2020
- Jessica Simpson's Nutritionist Shares the Diet That Helped Her Lose 100 Pounds - NewBeauty Magazine - February 15th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week Here's Why - POPSUGAR - February 15th, 2020
- How Did Adele Lose Weight? Secrets To The Singer's Stunning Transformation - YourTango - February 15th, 2020
- NBA Rumors: Zion Williamson Longevity Comes First, Losing Weight Strongly Urged - International Business Times - February 15th, 2020
- The Biggest Loser didn't work then and it won't work now - The Aggie - February 15th, 2020
- 8 warning signs of health problems and how you can help aging parents - Cape Cod Times - February 15th, 2020
- New smoothie bar offers healthy option in Waunakee - hngnews.com - February 15th, 2020
- Frankie Bridge feared husband happier without her during depression - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- WARMC rocking the red to bring attention to Heart Month - Mohave Valley News - February 15th, 2020
- Audrey named Slimming World Woman of the Year and given the all-clear from cancer - Daily Record - February 15th, 2020
- Weight loss tips: How to lose weight & get fit by running daily, according to this guy who lost 13 kg - GQ India - February 15th, 2020
- Mother of twins vows to get herself back with Strive to Thrive - Richland Source - February 15th, 2020
- Friends & Family | News, Sports, Jobs - The Review - February 15th, 2020
- What is ischemic heart disease? Symptoms and treatment options - Insider - INSIDER - February 15th, 2020
- A liquid diet for weight loss: Is it effective and sustainable? - Times Now - February 15th, 2020
- Astonishing twist as woman 'ready to die' finds out reason behind her tumour - Yahoo News Australia - February 15th, 2020
- Half of U.S. adults want to lose weight in 2020 - Food Business News - February 12th, 2020
- Half of U.S. Adults Want To Lose Weight And Over A Quarter Follow A Diet Plan To Do It - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week - Here's Why - msnNOW - February 12th, 2020
- Weight loss: New cookie diet is taking Instagram by storm but does it really work? - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I lost 17 kilos to fit into the clothes of my choice and it completely changed my lif - Times of India - February 12th, 2020
- Dietitian explains pros and cons of keto diet - KMVT - February 12th, 2020
- Why do I always feel hungry? Why you eat even when you're full and how to stop - TODAY - February 12th, 2020
- Bariatric surgeon tells us why we eat too much - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 12th, 2020
- What Causes The 'Dadbod' (And How To Reverse It) - Lifehacker Australia - February 12th, 2020
- Health Benefits of Salmon Nutrition and Why You Should Eat More Salmon Protein - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 12th, 2020
- Familia's Weight Loss Won't Be What Leads to His Success - metsmerizedonline.com - February 12th, 2020
- Testosterone pellets gaining popularity as hormone therapy in Southeast Texas - 12newsnow.com KBMT-KJAC - February 12th, 2020
- How to read the FDA's new nutrition facts label - CNET - February 12th, 2020
- I lost more than 70kgs in three years - Were - Daily Monitor - February 12th, 2020
- I looked pregnant with triplets but then docs found giant tumour half-a-metre wide - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Nicola Watters made it to the semi-finals of a national Slimming World competition - The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Vanessa Feltz shows off weight loss at Paddington premiere after losing more than three stone - The Sun - February 9th, 2020
- Weight-loss surgery tied to lowered risk of colorectal cancer - WHBL News - February 9th, 2020
- Is milk helpful in gaining weight? - Times of India - February 9th, 2020
- Pictures bomb! They appear and belong to Ana de Armas before losing weight and in a bikini! - Play Crazy Game - February 9th, 2020
- Mum's amazing transformation after shedding half her body weight in just a year - Stoke-on-Trent Live - February 9th, 2020
- 'Losing 7.5 stone has made me a new man' - Councillor from Fulwood tells of a pivotal year shedding weight - Lancashire Post - February 9th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting A Trendy New Way To Diet, But Researchers Say More Studies Need To Be Done - CBS Pittsburgh - February 8th, 2020
- The Truth About Losing Weight With Weed - VICE - February 8th, 2020
- How to lose weight and keep it off in a healthy, effective way - Insider - INSIDER - February 8th, 2020
- Health experts weigh in on cutting weight for sports - WTOL - February 8th, 2020
- Weight loss story: This teacher lost more than 20 kilos in just 6 months! Heres how she did it - Times of India - February 8th, 2020
- How to lose weight on a budget 5 simple tips to help shed the pounds without spending them - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- You CAN eat pizza and lose weight, expert says the 8 best options from Wetherspoons to Dominos if youre on - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- Scientific weight loss study by CSIRO reveals key to losing weight and keeping it off - Have a Go News - February 8th, 2020
- How Running Helped This Guy Get Sober and Drop 50 Pounds - Men's Health - February 8th, 2020
- Is cardio the best way to lose weight? Personal trainers bust the myth - Irish Examiner - February 8th, 2020
- My 600-lb Life: Travis works hard to lose weight to fulfill his goal of giving his wife a real wedding - MEAWW - February 8th, 2020
- Weight loss: Increasing this one thing is the key to burning belly fat, says expert - Express - February 8th, 2020
- Desperate bridesmaid asks how to lose 1.5st just weeks before the wedding because its too late to get a d - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- Obese man mocked and 'judged' in McDonald's loses half his body weight - Liverpool Echo - February 8th, 2020
- Hamilton gran who struggled to put on her own socks loses over five stone - Daily Record - February 8th, 2020
- VA Department and Virta Health Focus On Reversing Diabetes with Keto Diet - Myhealthyclick - February 8th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about the keto diet - ABC Local - February 8th, 2020
- Make the Lose Weight and Get Fit Chicken pancakes: Tom Kerridge reinvents a favourite! - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - February 8th, 2020
- How to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, according to experts - Health24 - February 8th, 2020
- How one woman used intermittent fasting to lose 80 pounds in a year - NBC News - January 29th, 2020
- Study reveals the best diet for actually losing weight and keeping it off - Ladders - January 29th, 2020
- Weight loss: Dont bother with the gym and keep your diet simple 6 tips to burn fat faster - The Sun - January 29th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Ways to Shed Fat for Performance and Aesthetics - BOXROX - January 29th, 2020
- Erica Lugo's Personal Weight-Loss Journey Makes Her One of the Most Relatable Trainers - msnNOW - January 29th, 2020
- Weight loss: My controlling boyfriend asked me to STOP slimming as it made him insecure so I dumped him & l - The Sun - January 29th, 2020
- 'I Counted My Macros On Keto And Got Into Low-Impact HIITAnd I Lost 141 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 29th, 2020
- New year's resolution workout routines don't have to be scary | News, Sports, Jobs - Lewistown Sentinel - January 29th, 2020