By JOACHIM OSURMore by this Author
Johns protruding tummy he looked like he was eight months pregnant was worrying his wife Jacinta. His tummy had enlarged over four years, and Jacinta had remained quiet so as not to hurt her husbands ego. He has lost erections now, she said when they came to my clinic. John nodded.
The couple had been married for nine years. Jacinta was a 37 year old high school teacher. She and John had been trying to conceive their first child for two years with no success.
But that did not worry me much, doctor, she explained. I got seriously concerned when Johns erections started dwindling and then when his machine finally ceased!
The couple had not had sex for eight months. At the age of 40, John found himself completely unable to get erections. Other than accelerated weight gain, the hair on his face and chest had been reducing and he complained of his skin getting smooth. He had also become too lazy to look after his trailer transport business.
We seem to have a number of issues here, I interrupted their detailed explanations. Loss of erections, obesity, sexless marriage, inability to conceive.
Then I asked a number of exploratory questions to better understand the couples problems.
PHYSIQUE MORE FEMININE THAN MANLY
Turned out that their marriage was harmonious, except that their intimacy was waning due to inability to have sex. Meanwhile, John had undergone a number of body changes; other than weight gain, loss of hair and fatigue, he was sweating a lot.
I examined John and noticed that his physique was more feminine than manly. His skin was smooth with scanty hair. He was rather sweaty. His breasts had enlarged. His genitals were normal although his testicles were slightly smaller than expected. I concluded that he was suffering a sex hormone imbalance and ordered a number of tests. I was especially worried that he could be suffering from low testosterone, a hormone that maintains male vitality including body stature, hair growth, male aggression, sex desire, sexual function and even sperm production. A hormone related inability to produce sperm could have led to the infertility in the family.
The test results were out in a week and as fate would have it, Johns testosterone was low. Another hormone, prolactin, was high. High prolactin reduces sexual function. It also leads to breast enlargement and milk production.
So what actually causes low testosterone? John asked.
Well, testosterone levels reduce gradually from the age of 30 in a number of men but it is never so sudden as to cause such drastic symptoms as John had. Obesity in itself can cause low levels of the hormone, although its deficiency also leads to obesity. Other known causes of low testosterone are alcoholism, lack of adequate sleep, stress, some medicines used to treat other medical conditions, and diseases that destroy testosterone producing cells of the testis or those that interfere with parts of the brain that regulate hormone production in the testis.
I feel scared! I hope I dont have brain cancer, John interrupted.
Actually I forget a lot nowadays and my head aches a lot and recently I have been seeing double sometimes, like seeing two Jacintas in bed when I get home late in the night! He burst out laughing.
But this seemingly trivial joke was the best lead I ever got in diagnosing a growth in the pituitary gland, a small gland in the brain that controls production of testosterone. The gland also produces prolactin. Further tests revealed that it is this tiny gland that had a growth. Fortunately the growth was not cancerous.
John underwent surgery and had the growth removed. His hormones normalised and he regained sexual function. It has now been two years. Jacinta called me to ask where she could go for ante-natal clinic.
She had just conceived. It is her call that reawakened these memories of how a small gland in the base of the brain can wreak havoc on a successful family man like John.
- Weight Loss and Testosterone | TRTMD Men's Health Clinic - June 23rd, 2019
- Testosterone For Women's Weight Loss - It's Not All About ... - June 21st, 2019
- The Keto Diet Plan and Weight Loss for Men Revive Low T ... - May 11th, 2019
- How to use Testosterone Cream for Women to Boost Weight Loss ... - April 15th, 2019
- Low Testosterone & Wellness Center | Allen, TX - April 9th, 2019
- Weight Loss Glen Allen VA - Rejuvenate MD | HRT - April 8th, 2019
- Testosterone Weight Loss Case Study: 20 # Lost with ... - March 6th, 2019
- How Increasing Testosterone Helps Weight Loss In Men Over 40 - November 23rd, 2018
- The Untold Testosterone Story for Women | Dr. Tami - May 31st, 2018
- Pregnenolone Weight Loss Regimen: The Master Hormone for ... - February 21st, 2018
- Fitness for Weight Loss Blog - February 8th, 2018
- Dr. Marlowe's Weight Loss Institute. 400 Clarice Ave ... - February 8th, 2018
- Testosterone and Weight Loss -How do they affect each other? - January 31st, 2018
- Synergenx Health, Testosterone & Weight Loss - Yelp - December 25th, 2017
- Testosterone and Rapid Weight Loss | Iron Man Magazine - December 6th, 2017
- Testosterone - Medical Center Weight Loss Clinic - San ... - October 6th, 2017
- Testosterone and Weight Loss - October 1st, 2017
- Weight and cancer risk - MyDaytonDailyNews - September 6th, 2017
- How to ensure your body gets the right balance of hormones - Economic Times - September 6th, 2017
- Day or night ... why anytime is the right time for getting a good workout - Belfast Telegraph - September 6th, 2017
- Chemotherapy drugs for colon cancer - Clenbuterol cycle for female weight loss - Magnetic Media (press release) - September 3rd, 2017
- Five ways to overcome testosterone decline - The Sport Review - September 3rd, 2017
- polycystic ovarian syndrome: A common cause of female infertility - NIGERIAN TRIBUNE (press release) (blog) - September 2nd, 2017
- How obesity can lead to erectile dysfunction - TheHealthSite - September 2nd, 2017
- A story of 'enduranz' - Business Mirror - August 31st, 2017
- Why you need to go off keto - Mumbai Mirror - August 28th, 2017
- Here Are The Answers To The Most Asked Question About Bodybuilding Steroids - MensXP.com - August 25th, 2017
- Obesity and its implications on sexual heath - The Navhind Times - August 25th, 2017
- How food can help, harm fertility - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette - August 25th, 2017
- Male hair loss: Three ways to reduce YOUR risk of going bald - Express.co.uk - August 25th, 2017
- Bigelow Center presents free talk by Dr. Woznitzer - Fairfield Sun - August 24th, 2017
- Real Men Wear Gowns: Why men aren't taking their health seriously - KARE - August 18th, 2017
- Researchers Track an Unlikely Culprit in Weight Gain - New York Times - August 11th, 2017
- Top health benefits of green chillies - The Statesman - August 11th, 2017
- The Strength Of Strength Training - Outlook India - August 11th, 2017
- The best time of the day for your team to be productive - Human Resources Online - August 11th, 2017
- Man flu is real, but women get more autoimmune diseases and allergies - Medical Xpress - August 7th, 2017
- Albuterol sulfate overdose treatment - How fast does albuterol work for weight loss - Hayati Magazine (blog) - August 2nd, 2017
- Myth 1: Weightlifting Makes You Bulk Up - POPSUGAR Australia - August 2nd, 2017
- Fitness trends - Daily News & Analysis - August 2nd, 2017
- Trying to conceive? Think about your diet - Independent Online - August 2nd, 2017
- FINA Announces Three Doping Suspensions - SwimSwam - July 31st, 2017
- Can Testosterone Help You Lose Weight? | Men's Fitness - July 31st, 2017
- Trying to conceive? Think about what you're eating - Stuff.co.nz - July 31st, 2017
- AbbVie Ordered to Pay $150 Million Damages in 'Low-T' Trial - Bloomberg - July 31st, 2017
- What military recruiters aren't telling women: You'll face disproportionate health risks - Los Angeles Times - July 31st, 2017
- The Top 5 Myths About Weightlifting That Need to Be Busted - POPSUGAR - July 31st, 2017
- 7 Beets Benefits For Your Health, From Losing Weight To Better Sex - Medical Daily - July 31st, 2017
- What Men should Know About Testosterone and Weight Loss - July 10th, 2017
- 5 'No Brainer' Rules Of Starting A Weight Loss Journey For Beginners - MensXP.com - July 10th, 2017
- Why Can't I Get Rid Of My Belly Fat? Here Are 7 Reasons - Huffington Post Australia - July 10th, 2017
- Vitamin D Deficiency in Men - Reports Healthcare - July 8th, 2017
- Amazing Weight Loss & Wellness - Flower Mound, TX | (972 ... - July 8th, 2017
- Does when we eat matter - Independent.ie - July 8th, 2017