Have you been gaining weight, dealing with troublesome adult acne and wondering why your menstrual cycle has become irregular? Chances are youve got PCOSor Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. According to National Institutes of Health (NIH), PCOS affects between 5% and 10% of women aged 18 to 44 years. Most of these women want to know whether it is possible to reverse PCOS naturally. The good news: Yes you can reverse PCOS through a combination of diet and exercise.
Medical experts are still unclear on the real cause behind PCOS, but most women who are diagnosed with PCOS develop insulin resistance. Under insulin resistance, your body is unable to use the hormone insulin effectively, which leads to high blood sugar. Insulin resistance can also greatly influence your ability to get pregnant.Treating this underlying insulin resistance can greatly help manage or reverse PCOS symptoms.The best part this can be done naturally, without the use of prescription drugs.
PCOS is often a warning sign that your body is no longer as sensitive to insulin as it should be. And while medication may help this, these come with unwanted side effects and dont really address the root cause an unhealthy lifestyle causing insulin resistance.
Lifestyle changes are the key to reversing PCOS. Losing weight will not only reduce insulin and androgen levels, it will also restore normal ovulation. Leading a healthy lifestyle that depends on eating a clean, healthy LCHF diet and focuses on getting regular exercise to improve insulin-sensitivity is a long-term fix that will also improve your odds of getting pregnant. A healthy lifestyle will not only fix insulin resistance, it also improves quality of life, making you feel stronger, fitter, happier and more at peace.
Weight loss is one of the keys to reversing PCOS. While many nutritionists advocate the need for cutting back on fats, reduce portion sizes and cut back on caloric intake, such an extreme step towards weight loss is neither sustainable nor always possible. A conventional weight loss diet that encourages cutting back on fats will NOT WORK. Who wants to lose weight by starving themselves? And even if you manage to drop a few pounds, can you really sustain such a strict diet for the rest of your life? Chances are you cant. And that means that as soon as you go back to eating normally (by which I mean, enough to feel full), youll gain back all that weight and have to deal with insulin resistance all over again. Whats worse, when you cut back on all fats, you subsequently make up for that caloric deficit by eating more carbs, which truly is a disaster for PCOS.
This is why, changing your approach to dieting is crucial to reversing PCOS. Most women are no strangers to dieting to lose weight. Which is why we want to steer you towards a diet that will not only help you lose weight, but one that you are likely to sustain and give several health benefits it for life!!!
Were talking about the LCHF or Low Carb High Fat diet. And this has been proven by research conducted at Duke University Medical Center to study the effects of a low-carbohydrate, high fat diet on revsersing PCOS. Researchers found that such a diet led to significant improvement in weight, percent free testosterone, LH/FSH ratio, and fasting insulin in women with obesity and PCOS over a 24 week period.
The best explanation of why a low carb, high fat diet works for reversing PCOS is simple biology. Carbohydrates break down into sugars. The body needs to produce insulin to be able to push these sugars into cells where theyre used for energy. When the body gets excess carbohydrate that converts into excess blood glucose levels (or excess sugars), more and more insulin is produced to address the excess. Extra sugar gets stored as fat. This is a vicious cycle, and over a period of time, the body becomes less sensitive to insulin, resulting in insulin resistance.
Low carbohydrate intake results in lower insulin levels, which reverses insulin resistance in PCOS and helps to balance the hormonal system. As a result, your LCHF diet supports normal ovulation and a normal menstrual cycle, while reducing other symptoms of PCOS naturally. It addresses acne and extra facial hair growth too, and getting pregnant also becomes easier when you nourish your body with the right diet.
As the name suggests, LCHF or Low Carb-High Fat diet focuses on low carbohydrate, moderate protein & high fat combination. Get your daily quota of carbs by eating lots of vegetables and fruits. Cook vegetables and meats in natural healthy fats like grass-fed butter, coconut oil and extra-virgin olive oil. Cooking with these heart-healthy fats helps with satiety and keeps appetite in check too. Also add other healthy sources of fat like avocados, nuts, coconut milk and fatty fish to your diet.
As mentioned in the beginning, improving insulin resistance is crucial for reversing PCOS.Exercise improves insulin resistance. Any kind of exercise helps, but muscle and weight training workouts are particularly helpful as these build lean muscle mass and help the body become more sensitive to insulin. However, cardio workouts are the key to losing weight, so these cannot be ignored either.
Going to a gym and working with a certified personal trainer is definitely the easiest way to chart out the right cardio and weight training routine for your specific needs. However, if you dont enjoy the gym, dont force yourself. We are huge believers in staying active by doing activities or workouts that you actually enjoy. Because thats the only way you will do them, right?! Whats the point of going to the gym if you hate it and cant wait to get out?
If you find high-intensity, stress-inducing workouts at the gym too overwhelming, choose a low-impact workout that suits your needs. Some women enjoy group classes, like Zumba, Pilates, Barre Yoga or Aqua Aerobics to help them stay fit. You can also go for a 30-45 minute brisk walk outdoors every day if thats what you prefer. Walking, jogging, riding a bike and swimming are perfectly good cardio workouts that can be enjoyed in the fresh outdoor air and wont cost you a dime extra! For weight training, park your car further away at the grocery store and carry your groceries back to your car and all the way up the stairs to your apartment! Yoga is an excellent choice as it uses your own body weight to tone the body, aid flexibility and workout all muscles. There are specific yoga asanas that also help boost fertility, if youre trying to get pregnant.
In the end, what we want to stress on is this - the right workout to reverse PCOS is one that you will stick to. Enjoy your workout so that you look forward to it, and it becomes an intrinsic part of your routine. Be it exercising at the gym, jogging, swimming or cycling, the key is to get moving and stay active! A holistic workout plan that focuses on some cardio workout accompanied by weight training and yoga plus meditation helps to not just encourage weight loss but also improve mood and fight stress.
When trying to reverse PCOS through diet and exercises, some supplements can be especially helpful in giving your body the extra nourishment it needs. When chosen correctly, the right dietary supplements increase your intake of nutrients that support your bodys ability to use insulin and can help keep your blood sugar stable. We highly recommend adding Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin D3, Magnesium, Cinnamon, Chromium, ALA, Berberine and Pomegranate Extract to your diet. Supplementing with Omega 3s or Fish Cod Liver Oil helps optimize your Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio. We also highly recommend D-Chiro Inositol, an excellent supplement to alleviate symptoms of PCOS. Research has found that inositol exerts beneficial effects at metabolic, hormonal and ovarian level for women.
A quick word on why conventional treatment doesnt work for reversing PCOS.Unfortunately, there is no medical cure for PCOS. So the idea behind this medication cocktail is to get a handle on the symptoms and improve your overall quality of life. However, all these medicines come with unwarranted side effects.
Conventional treatment focuses on regulating your menstrual cycle through birth control pills. If youre trying to become pregnant, your doctor may also prescribe medication to help you ovulate, like an oral anti-estrogen medication during the first part of your menstrual cycle. Anti-androgen drugs are prescribed to reduce acne and excess hair growth. If your blood sugar tests reveal that you have insulin resistance, diabetes medications like Metformin may also be prescribed to lower blood glucose and testosterone levels.
While birth control pills will regulate menstrual cycle, they simply mask your symptoms without actually addressing the underlying problem - which is insulin resistance, in most cases. Some women dont feel good when theyre on The Pill as it can lead to weight gain, cause mood changes and interfere with libido. In fact, contraceptives deteriorate insulin sensitivity, as proven by research. According to a study conducted at Athens University School of Medicine, treatment of adolescent girls with PCOS with oral contraceptives resulted in unfavorable changes of insulin sensitivity. Oral contraceptives have also been linked to increased risk of stroke. The pill can also lead to depression, mood changes and fluid retention. Metformin comes with its own set of side-effects too.
To conclude, it is very much possible to reverse PCOS naturally through diet and exercise. Try making simple changes to your lifestyle and you will see how it is possible to overcome the symptoms of PCOS without relying on medicines.
Maneera is a health and fitness enthusiast who is also a firm believer in the power of dietary supplements. A health buff, she likes to help others improve their overall well-being by achieving the right balance between nutrition, exercise and mindfulness.
Medical And General Disclaimer for sepalika.com This article is intended for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Sepalika.com strongly recommends that you consult a medical practitioner for implementing any of the above. Results may vary from person to person.
See the original post:
Reverse PCOS Naturally Through Diet and Exercise | Sepalika
- What's the best way to lose fat- diet or exercise? - Belfast Live - June 1st, 2020
- Latest Scientific Findings on Weight Loss Opportunities and Diet Risks - SciTechDaily - June 1st, 2020
- 'Fat burning zone'? The best way to exercise to burn fat - Jakarta Post - June 1st, 2020
- These 3 workout and diet weight loss tips for men are so easy but they actually WORK - T3 - June 1st, 2020
- We tried Ring Fit Adventure on Nintendo Switch and it is a REAL workout. Turns out weight loss CAN be fun - T3 (Australia) - June 1st, 2020
- Tom Schwartz: The Real-Life Diet of the 'Vanderpump Rules' Star Who Is Making Questionable Smoothie Decisions in Quarantine - GQ - June 1st, 2020
- Watch How This Guy Trained to Get Six-Pack Abs in Just 6 Weeks - menshealth.com - June 1st, 2020
- Three SIMPLE weight loss tips that actually work - T3 - June 1st, 2020
- Best weight loss exercises for every body type, according to fitness expert - Daily Star - June 1st, 2020
- Heather and Terry Dubrow Reveal the Perks of Their New Dubrow Keto Fusion Diet: Alcohol and Fruit! - Us Weekly - June 1st, 2020
- The Supplements to Take Before, During and After Your Workouts - LIVESTRONG.COM - June 1st, 2020
- Garth A. Rattray | The frustration of patients' non-adherence - Jamaica Gleaner - June 1st, 2020
- You can get a six pack in 15 minutes without even leaving your living room with this workout - T3 - June 1st, 2020
- Cycling and illness: Can intense training increase the risk of catching a virus? - Cycling Weekly - June 1st, 2020
- Diabetes type 2 - the best exercise to avoid high blood sugar symptoms - Express - June 1st, 2020
- World No Tobacco Day: Ways to use this lockdown as a catalyst to quit smoking - National Herald - June 1st, 2020
- Can Milk And Dairy Products Prevent Age-Related Bone Loss? Here's The Truth - NDTV Food - June 1st, 2020
- How to live longer: The best diet hailed by health experts to increase life expectancy - Express - June 1st, 2020
- How People Are Practicing Healthier Behaviors in the Face of COVID-19 - Healthline - June 1st, 2020
- Fitness: What will gyms look like when they reopen? - Montreal Gazette - June 1st, 2020
- When to start a diet: 7 reasons why now is a good time from a dietitian - TODAY - May 26th, 2020
- Weight loss: Experts reveal the best time to drink apple cider vinegar - Express - May 26th, 2020
- This Guy Tried the Workout and Diet That Helped Navy SEAL David Goggins Lose 100 Pounds in 3 Months - menshealth.com - May 26th, 2020
- Losing Sleep During COVID-19? Tips on How and When to Exercise - Healthline - May 26th, 2020
- How to live longer - the best breakfast food to prevent early death and boost weight loss - Express - May 26th, 2020
- To Fight Covid-19, Dont Neglect Immunity and Inflammation - The New York Times - May 26th, 2020
- Certain exercises linked to improved blood flow in key brain regions - SlashGear - May 26th, 2020
- How to structure a healthy diet while you're working from home during the coronavirus pandemic, according to n - Business Insider India - May 26th, 2020
- Michael Phelps Eating And Exercise Regime Proves He's Half Man, Half Amazing - Men's Health - May 26th, 2020
- Virus has made healthy eating more costly - just when we need a better diet - Bryan-College Station Eagle - May 26th, 2020
- Pre-Workout Diet: Five Foods To Eat Before You Hit The Treadmill - NDTV Food - May 26th, 2020
- Is it safe for Joe Maddon and Dave Roberts to manage teams? - Los Angeles Times - May 26th, 2020
- 5 Ways to Stay Fit While Maximizing Technology - HealthTechZone - May 26th, 2020
- Women need to exercise as they age, doctor says - Taipei Times - May 26th, 2020
- Fitness: What will gyms look like when they reopen? - Cochrane Times Post - May 26th, 2020
- How to live longer: The best exercise to boost heart health and increase life expectancy - Express - May 26th, 2020
- Yes, You Can Lose Weight Walking as Little as 30 Minutes a Day - but There's a Catch - MSN Money - May 26th, 2020
- 6 benefits of drinking coconut water during pregnancy - TheHealthSite - May 26th, 2020
- World Digestive Health Day Q&A with Dr Megan Rossi and Poo-pourri - ResponseSource - May 26th, 2020
- Obesity in mice prevented by disabling gene - Medical News Today - May 24th, 2020
- Weight loss: 3 things that helped Adele lose 22 kilos, according to her personal trainer - Times of India - May 24th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: if you're struggling to lose weight, this might be why - The Conversation UK - May 24th, 2020
- A Meal With Craig Burton, putting diet facts on the table - The Phuket News - May 24th, 2020
- Diabetic? Tips to keep your blood sugar levels in check amid pandemic - The Indian Express - May 24th, 2020
- Mike Tyson, Vegan for 10 Years, Says "I'm In the Best Shape Ever" - The Beet - May 24th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of TimTheTatman, Who's Intermittent Fasting and Trying to Stay Healthy - GQ - May 24th, 2020
- 15 Tips To Stay Consistent On A Healthy Diet From Nutritionist - NDTV - May 24th, 2020
- Young Indiana wrestlers find ways to stay fit amid pandemic - The Herald Review - May 24th, 2020
- Skincare: Common mistakes we make during the lockdown and different ways to deal with it - PINKVILLA - May 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus diets: What's behind the urge to eat like little kids? - Kiowa County Press - May 24th, 2020
- As obesity's link to COVID-19 grows, one family that lost 24-year-old daughter diets together - USA TODAY - May 24th, 2020
- Overcome the coronavirus meat shortage by adopting one of the world's healthiest diets - CNN - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss: This is the best time to eat to burn belly fat - but expert issues warning - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- 'Once N95 masks are available, should I wear one?' and other coronavirus questions answered by Wisconsin health experts - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - May 22nd, 2020
- This Guy Threw Away Junk Food, Cut Back on TV, and Lost 80 Pounds - menshealth.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Perspective: The Exercise We're Missing Out On - WNIJ and WNIU - May 22nd, 2020
- I'm heading out into this newly opened Wisconsin. What do I need to know? Our experts are here to help. - Marshfield News-Herald - May 22nd, 2020
- High blood pressure - the 25p fruit that could prevent deadly symptoms of hypertension - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Full-body home workouts for weight loss: 4 effective exercises that will help you burn belly fat - Times Now - May 22nd, 2020
- The diet secret that Salma Hayek is prepared before a big event - Play Crazy Game - May 22nd, 2020
- 'I Spent My Early 30s Masking My Eating Disorder with Fad Diets and Over-Exercising' - Yahoo Style - May 22nd, 2020
- Horoscope today: Here are the astrological predictions for May 22 - Mumbai Mirror - May 22nd, 2020
- Associations of Midlife Blood Pressure Responses to Exercise with the Risk of Disease in Later Life - Bel Marra Health - May 22nd, 2020
- Lockdown could be a great time to try the keto diet and this keto meal plan could really help with weight loss - T3 - May 22nd, 2020
- Before you go back out in public, read the immunity checklist - Houston Chronicle - May 22nd, 2020
- Understanding PCOS And Its Patriarchal Standards Of Femininity - Feminism in India - May 22nd, 2020
- Rugby star Sonny Bill Williams talks diet, fasting and training in lockdown - Voxy - May 22nd, 2020
- Why am I so tired? How to deal with exhaustion during pandemic - TODAY - May 22nd, 2020
- What the health? Doctor prescribes tips for wellness in his new book - The Spokesman-Review - May 22nd, 2020
- World Hypertension Day: Managing hypertension during a global health crisis - The Indian Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Take care of your hair with this night routine - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- Adele seen driving to the gym as she keeps up her gruelling exercise regime after seven stone weight loss - The Sun - May 15th, 2020
- The UK Lockdown Diet Report: Brits Struggling As They Pile on the Pounds, Reveals The 1:1 Diet by Cambridge Weight Plan - PR Newswire UK - May 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus diets: What's behind the urge to eat like little kids? - Waco Tribune-Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Love Your Health: Infertility, Diet And Exercise. Is There A Link? - Greeneville Sun - May 15th, 2020
- Greg Bell: The simple health choices that help Utahns fight COVID-19 - Deseret News - May 15th, 2020
- Immunity building: Ensure your diet is full of these essential nutrients - The Indian Express - May 15th, 2020
- Ellie Goulding admits to previous 'unhealthy relationship with food' - Metro.co.uk - May 15th, 2020
- What Happens When You Run a 5K Every Day - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 15th, 2020
- International Day of Families 2020: 5 tips to ensure a healthy, balanced diet for your family - Times Now - May 15th, 2020