Have you been gaining weight, dealing with troublesome adult acne and wondering why your menstrual cycle has become irregular? Chances are youve got PCOSor Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. According to National Institutes of Health (NIH), PCOS affects between 5% and 10% of women aged 18 to 44 years. Most of these women want to know whether it is possible to reverse PCOS naturally. The good news: Yes you can reverse PCOS through a combination of diet and exercise.
Medical experts are still unclear on the real cause behind PCOS, but most women who are diagnosed with PCOS develop insulin resistance. Under insulin resistance, your body is unable to use the hormone insulin effectively, which leads to high blood sugar. Insulin resistance can also greatly influence your ability to get pregnant.Treating this underlying insulin resistance can greatly help manage or reverse PCOS symptoms.The best part this can be done naturally, without the use of prescription drugs.
PCOS is often a warning sign that your body is no longer as sensitive to insulin as it should be. And while medication may help this, these come with unwanted side effects and dont really address the root cause an unhealthy lifestyle causing insulin resistance.
Lifestyle changes are the key to reversing PCOS. Losing weight will not only reduce insulin and androgen levels, it will also restore normal ovulation. Leading a healthy lifestyle that depends on eating a clean, healthy LCHF diet and focuses on getting regular exercise to improve insulin-sensitivity is a long-term fix that will also improve your odds of getting pregnant. A healthy lifestyle will not only fix insulin resistance, it also improves quality of life, making you feel stronger, fitter, happier and more at peace.
Weight loss is one of the keys to reversing PCOS. While many nutritionists advocate the need for cutting back on fats, reduce portion sizes and cut back on caloric intake, such an extreme step towards weight loss is neither sustainable nor always possible. A conventional weight loss diet that encourages cutting back on fats will NOT WORK. Who wants to lose weight by starving themselves? And even if you manage to drop a few pounds, can you really sustain such a strict diet for the rest of your life? Chances are you cant. And that means that as soon as you go back to eating normally (by which I mean, enough to feel full), youll gain back all that weight and have to deal with insulin resistance all over again. Whats worse, when you cut back on all fats, you subsequently make up for that caloric deficit by eating more carbs, which truly is a disaster for PCOS.
This is why, changing your approach to dieting is crucial to reversing PCOS. Most women are no strangers to dieting to lose weight. Which is why we want to steer you towards a diet that will not only help you lose weight, but one that you are likely to sustain and give several health benefits it for life!!!
Were talking about the LCHF or Low Carb High Fat diet. And this has been proven by research conducted at Duke University Medical Center to study the effects of a low-carbohydrate, high fat diet on revsersing PCOS. Researchers found that such a diet led to significant improvement in weight, percent free testosterone, LH/FSH ratio, and fasting insulin in women with obesity and PCOS over a 24 week period.
The best explanation of why a low carb, high fat diet works for reversing PCOS is simple biology. Carbohydrates break down into sugars. The body needs to produce insulin to be able to push these sugars into cells where theyre used for energy. When the body gets excess carbohydrate that converts into excess blood glucose levels (or excess sugars), more and more insulin is produced to address the excess. Extra sugar gets stored as fat. This is a vicious cycle, and over a period of time, the body becomes less sensitive to insulin, resulting in insulin resistance.
Low carbohydrate intake results in lower insulin levels, which reverses insulin resistance in PCOS and helps to balance the hormonal system. As a result, your LCHF diet supports normal ovulation and a normal menstrual cycle, while reducing other symptoms of PCOS naturally. It addresses acne and extra facial hair growth too, and getting pregnant also becomes easier when you nourish your body with the right diet.
As the name suggests, LCHF or Low Carb-High Fat diet focuses on low carbohydrate, moderate protein & high fat combination. Get your daily quota of carbs by eating lots of vegetables and fruits. Cook vegetables and meats in natural healthy fats like grass-fed butter, coconut oil and extra-virgin olive oil. Cooking with these heart-healthy fats helps with satiety and keeps appetite in check too. Also add other healthy sources of fat like avocados, nuts, coconut milk and fatty fish to your diet.
As mentioned in the beginning, improving insulin resistance is crucial for reversing PCOS.Exercise improves insulin resistance. Any kind of exercise helps, but muscle and weight training workouts are particularly helpful as these build lean muscle mass and help the body become more sensitive to insulin. However, cardio workouts are the key to losing weight, so these cannot be ignored either.
Going to a gym and working with a certified personal trainer is definitely the easiest way to chart out the right cardio and weight training routine for your specific needs. However, if you dont enjoy the gym, dont force yourself. We are huge believers in staying active by doing activities or workouts that you actually enjoy. Because thats the only way you will do them, right?! Whats the point of going to the gym if you hate it and cant wait to get out?
If you find high-intensity, stress-inducing workouts at the gym too overwhelming, choose a low-impact workout that suits your needs. Some women enjoy group classes, like Zumba, Pilates, Barre Yoga or Aqua Aerobics to help them stay fit. You can also go for a 30-45 minute brisk walk outdoors every day if thats what you prefer. Walking, jogging, riding a bike and swimming are perfectly good cardio workouts that can be enjoyed in the fresh outdoor air and wont cost you a dime extra! For weight training, park your car further away at the grocery store and carry your groceries back to your car and all the way up the stairs to your apartment! Yoga is an excellent choice as it uses your own body weight to tone the body, aid flexibility and workout all muscles. There are specific yoga asanas that also help boost fertility, if youre trying to get pregnant.
In the end, what we want to stress on is this - the right workout to reverse PCOS is one that you will stick to. Enjoy your workout so that you look forward to it, and it becomes an intrinsic part of your routine. Be it exercising at the gym, jogging, swimming or cycling, the key is to get moving and stay active! A holistic workout plan that focuses on some cardio workout accompanied by weight training and yoga plus meditation helps to not just encourage weight loss but also improve mood and fight stress.
When trying to reverse PCOS through diet and exercises, some supplements can be especially helpful in giving your body the extra nourishment it needs. When chosen correctly, the right dietary supplements increase your intake of nutrients that support your bodys ability to use insulin and can help keep your blood sugar stable. We highly recommend adding Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin D3, Magnesium, Cinnamon, Chromium, ALA, Berberine and Pomegranate Extract to your diet. Supplementing with Omega 3s or Fish Cod Liver Oil helps optimize your Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio. We also highly recommend D-Chiro Inositol, an excellent supplement to alleviate symptoms of PCOS. Research has found that inositol exerts beneficial effects at metabolic, hormonal and ovarian level for women.
A quick word on why conventional treatment doesnt work for reversing PCOS.Unfortunately, there is no medical cure for PCOS. So the idea behind this medication cocktail is to get a handle on the symptoms and improve your overall quality of life. However, all these medicines come with unwarranted side effects.
Conventional treatment focuses on regulating your menstrual cycle through birth control pills. If youre trying to become pregnant, your doctor may also prescribe medication to help you ovulate, like an oral anti-estrogen medication during the first part of your menstrual cycle. Anti-androgen drugs are prescribed to reduce acne and excess hair growth. If your blood sugar tests reveal that you have insulin resistance, diabetes medications like Metformin may also be prescribed to lower blood glucose and testosterone levels.
While birth control pills will regulate menstrual cycle, they simply mask your symptoms without actually addressing the underlying problem - which is insulin resistance, in most cases. Some women dont feel good when theyre on The Pill as it can lead to weight gain, cause mood changes and interfere with libido. In fact, contraceptives deteriorate insulin sensitivity, as proven by research. According to a study conducted at Athens University School of Medicine, treatment of adolescent girls with PCOS with oral contraceptives resulted in unfavorable changes of insulin sensitivity. Oral contraceptives have also been linked to increased risk of stroke. The pill can also lead to depression, mood changes and fluid retention. Metformin comes with its own set of side-effects too.
To conclude, it is very much possible to reverse PCOS naturally through diet and exercise. Try making simple changes to your lifestyle and you will see how it is possible to overcome the symptoms of PCOS without relying on medicines.
Maneera is a health and fitness enthusiast who is also a firm believer in the power of dietary supplements. A health buff, she likes to help others improve their overall well-being by achieving the right balance between nutrition, exercise and mindfulness.
Medical And General Disclaimer for sepalika.com This article is intended for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Sepalika.com strongly recommends that you consult a medical practitioner for implementing any of the above. Results may vary from person to person.
See the original post:
Reverse PCOS Naturally Through Diet and Exercise | Sepalika
- 4 Best Types of Exercise on the Keto Diet | Natural Healthy - October 12th, 2019
- Flat Belly Diet Drink | Lose Belly Fat in 1 Week | No Diet ... - October 12th, 2019
- How To Choose The Right Diet And Exercise Plan For Men - September 10th, 2019
- How to Exercise on a Keto Diet | KetoDiet Blog - August 21st, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Calendar Template | 2019 Calendar ... - August 3rd, 2019
- Nutrition, Exercise & Sleep - National Sleep Foundation - July 29th, 2019
- Top Four Ways to Exercise When on a Ketogenic Diet - July 13th, 2019
- Cherry Creek Medical Weight Loss - Colorado Weight Loss - June 5th, 2019
- Is Diet Really More Effective Than Exercise for Weight ... - June 5th, 2019
- Dementia: Exercise, diet, healthy lifestyle can prevent it ... - May 19th, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Tips For Incontinence URINARY ... - April 26th, 2019
- Is It the Diet, the Exercise, or Both? | NutritionFacts.org - April 17th, 2019
- How To Create The Perfect Diet Plan For Your Workout Goal - April 16th, 2019
- Diet + Fitness - CNN - April 3rd, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise - Mindful by Sodexo - March 9th, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise: The Truth About Weight Loss - WebMD - February 28th, 2019
- Is Exercise Pointless? (Why You Cant Out Train A Bad Diet) - February 10th, 2019
- Donald Trump's Physical Exam Shows Hes in 'Very Good ... - February 8th, 2019
- Can You Exercise While On The Keto Diet? | Bioketo - February 3rd, 2019
- CRON-diet - Wikipedia - January 17th, 2019
- Diet and Exercise for Heart Disease Prevention - September 24th, 2018
- Diet & Exercise Diary: Hinkler books: 9781743087800 ... - August 6th, 2018
- The Fully Raw Diet: 21 Days to Better Health, with Meal ... - July 9th, 2018
- Diet, Exercise & Health | Fisher Center for Alzheimer's ... - June 5th, 2018
- PCOS and Exercise: How much and how often? | PCOS Diet Support - May 27th, 2018
- 2-Week Diet & Exercise Plan | Applied Nutrition | Health Tips - May 25th, 2018
- Should You Exercise While On The HCG Diet? - May 17th, 2018
- Diet or exercise for weight loss? - Business Insider - May 17th, 2018
- Dieting - Wikipedia - May 17th, 2018
- Successful Weight Loss: Top 10 Tips On ... - The Diet Channel - May 17th, 2018
- The relationship between diet and exercise Steven Low - April 28th, 2018
- Exercise and Eating Healthy - April 19th, 2018
- Diet Vs Exercise: Which Matters More For Weight Loss ... - January 12th, 2018
- Exercise and Anti Inflammation Diet to Live Longer - December 29th, 2017
- How To Lose Weight Fast Without Diet Pills Or Exercise - October 13th, 2017
- Benefit to improving diet and exercise at the same time ... - October 1st, 2017
- 3 Day Military Diet & Exercise: Best Workout Plan for ... - September 20th, 2017
- PCOS and Exercise - The Benefits | PCOS Diet Support - September 20th, 2017
- Diet and Exercise | County Health Rankings & Roadmaps - September 20th, 2017
- Not just diet and exercise: lifestyle changes needed to shed the kilos if you're overweight or obese - South China Morning Post - September 5th, 2017
- Weight loss: How to slim your waist without exercise or dieting ... - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- Weight loss news: Men find THIS type of exercise harder than women - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- Rebel Wilson weight loss: Pitch Perfect's 'Fat Amy' shed the pounds doing THIS exercise - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- 10 ways to build your best body starting today - Body and Soul - September 4th, 2017
- 5 Myths About Exercise Debunked - Inc.com - September 4th, 2017
- Start the Week Off Right: Four exercise and nutrition myths - Quad City Times - September 4th, 2017
- 5 common workout myths and what to do instead, according to the personal trainer who eats only 2 meals a day - Evening Standard - September 4th, 2017
- 30 ways to add years to your life that aren't 'diet and exercise' - WYFF Greenville - September 3rd, 2017
- Junk food fan's shock after learning his 'terrible' diet has aged his body by a staggering 22 YEARS - The Sun - September 3rd, 2017
- When diets fail, Rujuta Diwekar's exercise guide comes to the rescue - Economic Times - September 3rd, 2017
- Losing weight gets personal: Combining diet and behavioral changes may help - Washington Post - September 3rd, 2017
- Jessie James Decker Reveals the Fitness and Diet Secrets to Her Super Hot Bikini Body! - E! Online - September 1st, 2017
- Nathalie Emmanuel's Diet and Exercise Regime Helps Her On-Set Stamina - Hollywood.com - August 30th, 2017
- Weight loss: Man loses over three stone by swapping fizzy drinks for THIS - Express.co.uk - August 30th, 2017
- Nathalie Emmanuel's diet and exercise regime helps her on-set stamina - Belfast Telegraph - August 29th, 2017
- How I Got This Body: Less Fad Dieting and Diet Coke, More Seltzer and Fitspo Friends - Washingtonian.com - August 29th, 2017
- Cutting the carbs: Everything you need to know about the South Beach Diet - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 29th, 2017
- Calorie reduction + exercise = better muscle function in older adults - Medical Xpress - August 29th, 2017
- Emilia Clarke's trainer reveals what she does to stay in such great shape - INSIDER - August 28th, 2017
- Weight loss diet: Eating THIS before exercise could affect how your body burns fat - Express.co.uk - August 28th, 2017
- Diet and exercise - Journal Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- The key to weight loss: THIS could be the best way to combat obesity - Express.co.uk - August 28th, 2017
- The only two exercises you need to do to get rid of belly fat fast - Daily Star - August 28th, 2017
- Weight loss: This is the best trick YOU can do to lose weight without even trying - Express.co.uk - August 27th, 2017
- 5 Easy Ways To Spring Clean Your Diet - Huffington Post Australia - August 27th, 2017
- Weight loss: THIS is the best exercise you can do at home to lose belly fat - Express.co.uk - August 27th, 2017
- A Coach's Wife: Trying to comprehend the mixed-up business of diet and exercise - Daily Herald - August 27th, 2017
- Tia Mowry on her 5-second style and why she'll never give up comfort foods - Yahoo Food - August 27th, 2017
- Report: Diet, Exercise Help Diabetics Maintain Normal Lifestyle - CBS Philly - August 26th, 2017
- Fit For Life: Train and Eat! Not - Exercise and Diet - GoLocalProv - August 26th, 2017
- Weight loss: How to lose weight and blast belly fat with walking - Express.co.uk - August 26th, 2017
- 83% of people lose weight on THIS diet without exercising - Daily Star - August 26th, 2017
- Bob Harper Shares All the Ways His Life Has Changed Following His Heart Attack - POPSUGAR - August 26th, 2017
- Intensive lifestyle change: It works, and it's more than diet and exercise - Harvard Health (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Kristina Dropped 102 Pounds by "Doing Zero Exercise" in the First Year - POPSUGAR - August 21st, 2017
- 25-year-old supermodel Kate Upton says weightlifting completely changed her body and outlook on fitness - INSIDER - August 21st, 2017
- Jennifer Aniston Dishes on Her Diet and Exercise Secrets (Grab a Pen and Take Notes, People!) - Closer Weekly - August 20th, 2017
- Study: A red wine component has similar anti-aging benefits to diet and exercise - PhillyVoice.com - August 19th, 2017
- Health and exercise myths and tips - Inquirer.net - August 18th, 2017
- The Secret Behind Demi Lovato's Confidence and Happiness? This Routine - POPSUGAR - August 18th, 2017