Taken together, our data showed that prior breastfeeding experience was associated with increases in current complaints of subjective joint pain and objective diagnosis of knee OA in Korean women aged 50. In addition, we found that the prevalence of joint pain significantly increased with a breastfeeding duration longer than 25months.
In this study, longer breastfeeding duration was clearly associated with higher mean age. OA is greatly influenced by age . Hence, during logistic regression analysis, age was the primary factor adjusted for, and participants aged 60 were separated and included in a sub-analysis. The results showed greater OR between breastfeeding duration and joint pain and knee OA. When compared with the total participants aged 50years, the OR of knee OA in the breastfeeding groups aged 60years increased from 1.49 to 2.61 (Tables2, 4). The OR of knee OA was 1.92 in the breastfeeding groups aged 50 and 2.75 in the breastfeeding groups aged 60, showing a marked increase in older participants (Tables3, 5).
The effects of breastfeeding on OA have not been fully elucidated. Parks study (2017) was the first investigation of the association between breastfeeding and OA . It analyzed 6783 women aged 50years using 19992012 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) data and showed an association between breastfeeding experience of >1month and an increased risk of OA in older women. In that study, Park considered the intensity of activities that induces arthritis in detail. However, variables related to exposure to female hormones that are considered risk factors of OA in women with breastfeeding experience, such as number of pregnancies and number of children, did not show a significant association with the increased risk of OA, and breastfeeding duration could not be determined from the NHANES data.
Until recently, studies on the effects of accumulated breastfeeding duration on the musculoskeletal system in women after menopause have mainly focused on changes in bone density and rheumatoid arthritis. There is still controversy over the association of breastfeeding with bone density . Some studies reported that the bone density of women who are breastfeeding or have just finished breastfeeding is higher than that of non-breastfeeding women [22, 23]. However, other studies investigating bone density among postmenopausal women showed a higher incidence of osteoporosis in those with long-term breastfeeding experience . In a cohort study on 500 women aged 3555years, long-term breastfeeding showed significant associations with a decrease in spine bone mineral density after menopause .
Numerous studies have reported a negative association between breastfeeding and rheumatoid arthritis. A cohort study of 121,700 women from the Nurses Health Study showed that the relative risk of rheumatoid arthritis was significantly lower in those with longer breastfeeding durations . In a cohort study of 18,326 participants from Sweden, while the administration of oral birth control pills was not found to lower the risk of rheumatoid arthritis. Conversely, breastfeeding, in proportion to its duration, was found to lower the risk of rheumatoid arthritis .
There are various risk factors for knee OA, such as old age, female sex, high level of activities, consistent exercise, past knee joint injuries, and obesity . In middle-aged or older women in particular, age and female hormone deficiency can simultaneously act as risk factors of joint degeneration . Estrogen deficiency is also associated with OA in humans and animals . Estrogen receptors are present in several cells in the joints, including cartilage cells, subchondral bone cells, and synovial cells, and the expression of estrogen receptors increases in OA patients [27,28,29]. Experiments using ovariectomized animal models showed that a continued state of low estrogen concentration leads to decreased intra-articular subchondral bone mass, increased interface of the subchondral cavity, and progression of severe cartilage degradation . Altogether, women experience rapid joint degeneration after menopause, around the ages of 5075years, and show higher prevalence, frequency, and severity of OA than men [9, 20].
Estrogen levels decrease in postmenopausal women, who often complain of muscle pain and joint pain . Compared with the level in men, the estrogen level in women is 3 to 10 times higher. Changes in female hormone levels due to menstrual cycles or menopause, etc. are associated with the increase in mu-opioid receptors related to the female hormone-mediated neurotransmitters for the alleviation of intracerebral pain and perception to pain, and subsequent recall of the pain experience . Therefore, this has been reported to induce a higher level of temporomandibular disorders (TMDs), fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS), and migraine in women than in men . In particular, in patients with migraine, it has been found that a rapid decrease in estrogen, which occurs at the beginning of the menstruation period, further increases muscle pain and joint pain, leading to periodic occurrence of headaches . Also, it has been reported that when hormone replacement therapy for postmenopausal women was discontinued, there were occurrences of muscle pain and joint pain .
Changes in female hormones after childbirth are partially similar to the changes noted after menopause. Estradiol, which is secreted from the placenta and increases up to 100-fold during pregnancy, instantaneously decreases during childbirth along with placenta extraction, and its concentration is maintained at a low level during breastfeeding as ovulation is delayed . Hence, extended breastfeeding leads to long-term estrogen deficiency . The level of female hormones increases during pregnancy, but breastfeeding can be associated with sex hormone deficiency for several years after childbirth . Therefore, low levels of estrogen in breastfeeding women end with the recovery of ovarian function with delactation, but it can be inferred that they have a longer period of undergoing degenerative changes in joints, such as apoptosis of osteocytes and chondrocytes, or hypertrophy of chondrocytes, creating an intracerebral environment that is more sensitive to pain detection compared with non-breastfeeding women or women with short breastfeeding experience.
The long-term breastfeeding experience in a high percentage of Korean women aged 60 or older can be attributed to historical and cultural circumstances in Korea. According to a breastfeeding status survey conducted by the Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, the breastfeeding rate was 95% in the 1960s and rapidly decreased to 4668.9% in the 1970s . In the 1960s and 1970s, when women who are currently in their 60s and 70s were likely experiencing childbirth and breastfeeding, Korea was going through rapid economic development after the Korean war, and breast milk supplements were not yet widely marketed . Thus, the period before extensive economic development and the growth of the formula market likely affected long-term breastfeeding among those aged 60. Furthermore, the rapid transition from an extended family to nuclear family and a declining birthrate caused by rapid industrialization and modernization are also speculated to have decreased the number of children and lifetime breastfeeding duration among this cohort . Since cultural characteristics such as a sedentary lifestyle in Korea can affect the prevalence of OA in the elderly population, different outcomes might be obtained in different sample groups in the future.
This study has several strengths. To our knowledge, this study is the first to investigate the association between breastfeeding duration and the prevalence of knee OA. Joint pain in old age is a strong indicator of degenerative OA, but at the same time, there are limitations that the individual perception and expression of discomfort vary widely, and the mechanism of pain also differs by individual. OA findings through X-ray are objective and basic tests for determining skeletal status and have clinical significance, but because they do not necessarily involve pain, they cannot serve as the absolute standard for application of clinical treatment by themselves . This study adopted a comprehensive approach to the clinical diagnosis of degenerative knee OA by analyzing joint pain, the subjective symptom, as a dependent variable, and subdividing the disease through knee X-ray images at the same time. The self-administered questionnaire answered by participants was systematically created by skilled experts, and the study was conducted among a large-scale group representative of Korea. In addition, various confounding variables that can affect breastfeeding and the onset of joint pain and OA were adjusted for.
The study also has some limitations. This was a cross-sectional study collecting two data variables from the same period. Thus, only the association between the two variables could be determined and the cause-and-effect relationship could not, in principle, be deduced. However, as breastfeeding is often experienced by women in their 20s and 30s and OA increases on aging, it can be speculated that breastfeeding affects the onset of OA. A sensitivity analysis was additionally conducted on the older participants aged 60years, who had longer duration of breastfeeding and higher prevalence of degenerative OA, and because of the epidemiological structure that prevalence increases for those aged 50years, the sensitivity analysis itself, which is limited to those aged 60years, may also have limitations.
The data used in this study were responses from self-administered questionnaires, and there could be individual response errors due to the nature of the survey. Additionally, as the study participants were women aged 50years, their memory of breastfeeding from decades ago might have been biased. The social atmosphere that encourages breastfeeding may cause a socially desirable response (SDR) bias in which the memory is biased or exaggerated as if they had breastfed even for women with no experience of breastfeeding or those with short-term breastfeeding, and this bias must be considered in the analysis of the results . However, in this survey, health behavior items such as smoking, alcohol consumption, physical activity, and breastfeeding were surveyed in a self-administered form, not in interview form, and the content of the questions was also written in a fact-oriented manner excluding value judgment. Therefore, it may be expected that SDR bias was minimized in the survey .
Individual differences in the subjective perception of joint pain may have also existed. Using the response in the survey, it was defined that If the subject has felt the pain for 30 days or longer in the last 3 months, the person has joint pain. This is a characteristic of studies utilizing the KNHANES database, and there is a limitation of not being able to reflect the various levels of pain intensity and frequency of the total population.
Despite the findings of this study, breastfeeding has species-specific superiority as a source of nutrients and immune factors that existing breastmilk substitutes cannot surpass, and it has the effect of formation of attachment between mother and infants and preventing long-term and short-term disease. Therefore, breastfeeding should not be excluded unconditionally as a result of this study, and additional research should be undertaken carefully in other cultures and races.
- Impact of COVID-19 Crisis on Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Demand and Consumption Growth, Predicts Fact.MR - The Cloud Tribune - October 25th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Comprehensive Growth by 2017 to 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 25th, 2020
- Thoughts of Breast Health in Breast Cancer Awareness Month - Yahoo Singapore News - October 25th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market 2020 Determined By Manufacturing Summary, Business Profile And Estimate To 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Demand (2020-2026) | Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies |... - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Trends, Global Growth, Insights And Forecast Research Report 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market anticipates revenue will hit up to XX% CAGR by 2026: Segmentation by Revenue, Gross margin, Industrial Analysis,... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market By Manufacturers, Development Strategy, Upcoming Trends and Huge Growth By 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 21st, 2020
- Hammerling-Hodgers: Don't delay if you have any signs of breast cancer - Florida Today - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Exponential Growth by 2018 to 2028 - Aerospace Journal - October 21st, 2020
- Exclusive Interview with Dr. Zainab Mogul-Ashraf (Dr. Z) of Hebe Medical Spa - Hudson Valley Style Magazine - October 21st, 2020
- Women's Health Diagnostics Market projected to expand at a CAGR of ~6% from 2019 to 2027 - The Think Curiouser - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 Global Analysis By Application, End-User, Market Share, Demand, Supply, Technological Trends And Forecast Till... - October 21st, 2020
- US Food and Drug Administration Accepts for Priority Review Applications for OPDIVO (nivolumab) in Combination with CABOMETYX (cabozantinib) in... - October 21st, 2020
- DSEJ organises Webinar on Breast Cancer Disease- Early Detection Saves Lives - India Education Diary - October 21st, 2020
- Having Large Testicles May be linked to Cardiovascular Disease Italian Study Shows - Gilmore Health News - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Exclusive Report Analysis 2020-2025 - Aerospace Journal - October 21st, 2020
- Anti-Osteoporosis Therapy And Fracture Healing Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2028: Novartis, Johnson and Johnson, GlaxoSmithKline PLC, Roche... - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Research Conclusions|Business Plans|Strategies with Forecast 20 - PharmiWeb.com - October 17th, 2020
- Davina McCall spoke candidly about her experience of perimenopause and HRT on Loose Women - goodhousekeeping.com - October 17th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Report 2019 with Key Players, Regions, Trends, Market Growth, SWOT Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 17th, 2020
- Schedule Your Breast Cancer Screening this Month - raccoonvalleyradio.com - October 17th, 2020
- World Menopause Day: 5 must have products to cure hormonal imbalance - India Today - October 17th, 2020
- Earlier pubertal timing predicts higher psychosexuality in adulthood - PsyPost - October 17th, 2020
- The News Journal 5 things you can start doing now to help reduce your risk of breast cancer - The News Journal - October 17th, 2020
- UMass Amherst Recognized as a Top LGBTQ-Friendly Campus for 10th Consecutive Year - UMass News and Media Relations - October 17th, 2020
- Extensive new medi-wellness resort, RAKxa, will offer complete blueprint of health in Bangkok's 'Green Lung' - Spa Business - October 17th, 2020
- Raising awareness of menopause, what it is and why you arent alone - Brighton & Hove Independent - October 17th, 2020
- One key to improving medical care:... - Kirkland Reporter - October 17th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size 2020, Production, Share, Revenue, Analysis and Innovative Revolution and Forecast Report to 2026 -... - October 17th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size, Key Trends, Challenges and Standardization, Research, Key Players with COVID 19 Impact Analysis and... - October 7th, 2020
- Message to Rep. Wes Allen: HB1 is an attack on transgendered youths and parental rights - Montgomery Advertiser - October 7th, 2020
- Shoptalk: Parent company to temporarily close Edwards Grand Teton theater - Post Register - October 7th, 2020
- Press A, Be Gay: LGBTQ Representation in Video Games - QNotes - October 7th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Industry Key Drivers, Business Insights And Forecast 2024 | F. Hoffmann-La Roche, Merck Serono, Novartis - uco360.com - October 7th, 2020
- So where is our land? Where is the space for us? - Mail and Guardian - October 7th, 2020
- Sex and Menopause, According to a Neuroscientist - Glamour - October 7th, 2020
- Your Health Is on the Ballot: Why You Should Vote for Science in the 2020 Presidential Election - Prevention.com - October 7th, 2020
- Hormone therapy is an option to treat breast cancer - Hamilton Journal News - October 3rd, 2020
- Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Solid Analyzed Segmentation, Demand, Recent Share Estimation and Growth Prospects by Regions to 2022... - October 3rd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact: Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market | Strategic Industry Evolutionary Analysis Focus on Leading Key Players and Revenue Growth... - October 3rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy market size was US$ 15950 million and it is expected to reach US$ 17720 million by the end of 2026, with a CAGR of 1.5% -... - October 3rd, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Tablets Market Covid 19 Overview:Demand Analysis & Growth Opportunities By 2019-2026||ALLERGAN, Novo... - October 3rd, 2020
- Solving the Mystery of My Missing Menstruation - ELLE.com - October 3rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Technological Advancement & Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - October 1st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market - Quantitative Analysis, Current and Future Trends, 2018 to 2028 - The Market Records - October 1st, 2020
- Hormone replacement therapy market- factors responsible for driving or restraining the market - Credence Turbine - October 1st, 2020
- In the Business of Beautifying Hudson Valley, One Face at a Time Hebe Medical Spa in Fishkill, NY - Hudson Valley Style Magazine - October 1st, 2020
- The HER2 Testing market to Transcend the Covid-19 Barrier from 2021 onwards - The Market Records - October 1st, 2020
- Hormone therapy is an option to treat breast cancer - The Albany Herald - September 30th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Mithra Pharmaceuticals,... - September 30th, 2020
- Why Some Experts Say Cannabis Is Effective in Treating Menopause - Healthline - September 30th, 2020
- Ascendis Pharma A/S Announces Preliminary Six-Month Data from Open-Label Extension of Phase 2 PaTH Forward Trial and Files IND Amendment to Initiate... - September 30th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2019 - 2024 - The Market Records - September 30th, 2020
- Medical profession cares little for women with early onset menopause - The Independent - September 30th, 2020
- Trans youth are less likely to have suicidal thoughts with early care - Insider - INSIDER - September 30th, 2020
- Menopausal Women May Be Able To Give Birth After Blood Plasma Injections - Anti Aging News - September 30th, 2020
- Genomics Market to Rise at 19.5% CAGR and Reach USD 82.60 Billion by 2027; Advances in Diagnostic Applications will Lead to a Wider Product Adoption,... - September 30th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market is Set for Lucrative Growth During 20202026 Zion Market Research - The Daily Chronicle - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market 2019 Services, Demand, Size, Growth Trends, Business Opportunities, Industry Analysis, Top Players &... - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size is Thriving worldwide with Topmost Keyplayer Like:Eli Lilly, Pfizer, AbbVie, Novo Nordisk, Merck KGaA - Weekly... - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market share forecast to witness considerable growth from 2020 to 2025 | By Top Leading Vendors F. Hoffmann-La Roche,... - September 28th, 2020
- Everything You Need To Know About Ovarian Cancer Diagnosis - NDTV Doctor - September 28th, 2020
- New Detailed Information: Hormone Replacement Therapy Market By Global Trends, Business Growth, And Forecasts 2026 | Covid19 Impact Analysis | Key... - September 22nd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market has Huge Impact in Industry 2020 2026 - Verdant News - September 22nd, 2020
- Dar Bioscience Receives $0.9 million Under the Current Grant - BioSpace - September 22nd, 2020
- Early menopause puts women at 'significantly' higher risk of depression, study finds - TheSpec.com - September 22nd, 2020
- Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - The Bethel Citizen - September 18th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market-Segment Market Trends, Analysis and Forecast 2019 2023 - Scientect - September 18th, 2020
- Dyspareunia: What Causes Pain During Sex and How Can it Be Prevented? - News18 - September 18th, 2020
- Predictive Analytics in Healthcare Market Growth Rate, Demands, Status and Application Forecast to 2026 - AlgosOnline - September 18th, 2020
- Isle of Wight author calling on NHS to offer 'pain-free' cancer treatment option - Isle of Wight County Press - September 18th, 2020
- Dr. Roach: Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - The Detroit News - September 15th, 2020
- Assessing the COVID-19 Effect: Hormone Replacement Therapy Production Moderately Disrupted by Labor Shortages of Labor in Pandemic, Says Fact.MR - The... - September 15th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19: Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Share, Growth, Demand, Trends, Region Wise Analysis Of Top Players And Forecasts |Abbott... - September 15th, 2020
- The Chronicle of the Horse - The Chronicle of the Horse - September 15th, 2020
- Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - Hays Daily News - September 12th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Pharmaceutical Contract Manufacturing and Contract Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - The Market Chronicles - September 12th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Research Report Contains Key Players, Industry Overview, Supply Chain, Analysis and Forecast to 2020-2025 -... - September 12th, 2020
- The office is still in the closet - Bangalore Mirror - September 12th, 2020