At Nutrition Business Journal (NBJ), we consigned weight loss to the third rail" of supplements: dangerous space that regulators, reporters and legislators eye with vigilance and vehemence. In retrospect, we were wrong.
The third rail implies instant death, and yet the weight loss category lives on.
Call it the category that cant be killed, though its heart is bristling with stakes. Inefficacy and everything from jitters to outright danger have not killed weight loss, but it has been wounded. NBJ estimates weight loss supplement pills growing by 1.6 percent in 2016, after going negative the year before. To put that in perspective, weight loss supplement pills sales soared at 20-percent growth in 2001. Now the ephedra days are long gone, and Dr. Oz drowned the pill concept in a murky sea of raspberry ketones and Garcinia cambogia. There is a sucker born every minute, but those suckers have Google now. Make no mistake, its still a US$2.1 billion business, but the trendline is obvious and could get steeper. Short of serious science-backed innovation, the pill category, and really the whole notion of weight loss" in supplements, could be on life support at some point.
Maybe its time to let it die.
At NBJ, we are adding standing in line with our stake. We no longer track a weight loss" category. We now track weight management." Thats semantics to a point, but that point is worth making. Others are making it and people are finally listening, as the sale figures suggest.
The industry needs to listen too, of course. It might hear some encouraging news.
Looking at the weight loss category as weight management allows brands to wire in a lifestyle theme that promises a longer life cycle for their products. Weight loss is something you give up when it doesnt work. Weight management is, very realistically, a lifelong pursuit. Thats part of why weve renamed, and re-envisioned, the category. Envisioning weight management as part of a lifestyle that includes active nutrition puts it in a very different light on a totally different shelf. We havent started calling sports nutrition active nutrition," but check back with us in a few years.
Perhaps the biggest ingredient of change in weight management is protein. Protein has become the last macronutrient standing." Carbohydrates never recovered from the Atkins era. You can still buy low-carb versions of almost everything. Some even blame fat free" for rising obesity rates, when theyre not blaming something else. Fat itself may be making a comeback of sorts. Dave Asprey made fat cool again with Bulletproof Coffee. Its grass-fed butter, but its still butter, in coffee, a product trend nobody could have predicted. Despite the hype, its probably a product nobody should be taking a bet on going past a fad, either. The ketogenic diet, with its deadeye focus on fat, is tiptoeing in from the fringes, but NBJ is doubtful of the longevity there. Hardcore diets are hard to follow.
But protein still has a glow. Were not getting enough of it, experts say. We cant get enough of it, the CrossFit crowd claims. As sports nutrition crawled out of the gym and into the shopping bag in the backseat of the soccer moms minivan, protein has effectively become a weight loss supplement. It builds muscle, and everybody knows muscle burns fat, right? The thermogenic effect of some weight loss pills promises to boost metabolism, but protein really does. And it keeps doing it when its incorporated into the active" part of active nutrition.
All of this makes sports nutrition and weight management difficult to separate into two categories. While protein sales grew at 6.3 percent in 2016, weight management meal replacement drinks grew at 7.2 percent, not far behind the 7.5 percent for all sports nutrition products. Wed be surprised if everybody incorporating protein into their lose-it-or-keep-it-off strategy was looking for the words weight loss" on their tubs of protein powder or smoothie mix. They may not want to see the words at all.
Protein has moved into everything from pancakes to ice cream. Its not even a trend anymore. Its a way of life.
How people live that life in the day-to-day/minute-to-minute scope is a trickier part of weight management. NEAT or non-exercise activity thermogenesis" is emerging as the unseen and somewhat effortless piece in weight management. NEAT is the mundane physicality of living in the world;, everything from walking to the car and mopping the floor to fidgeting at your desk creates a slow burn for calories that adds up. Its what weight loss researchers are talking about now. That low-level energy expenditure has turned out to be a key difference in people who lose weight or never gain it in the first place, and the suffering legions waiting for a flicker of hope on the bathroom scale. Consider those naturally thin" people you envy. They dont sit still, even when they are at their standing desks (which you should have by now).
But supports fidgeting" would be a difficult claim to justify, and thats what coffee is for anyway. The better play might likely come from effectively linking nutrition plans to the millions of Fitbits sitting in nightstand drawers nationwide. STYR Labs is doing that with an activity monitor that prescribes vitamins and a specific amount of protein, but there is plenty of white space here. Counting steps is boring until it becomes more actionable information. X steps + Y protein equals you can have dessert tonight" is a formula people could get behind, but sports nutrition and the weight management category have only flirted with wearables so far. With everybody in third grade and older carrying a smartphone that tracks movement, its not hard to see a smart company plugging its products into that 24/7 feedback.
Thats innovation at the digital level. Innovation at the ingredient level isnt stopping, but the sights have been lowered to target a more shallow trajectory. Theres not a ton of innovation left for green tea and caffeine in the post-ephedra age. The sales show that. But dont rule out the appeal of formulations that could boost metabolism more subtly, something closer to NEAT than intervals on the bleacher steps. InterHealth and ChromaDex are targeting metabolism with ingredients that kick-start mitochondria and subcellular mechanisms that drive metabolic function. Sub-jitter thermogenic branded ingredient versions of cinnamon and capsaicin also have promise at the slow-burn end of manipulating the metabolism. Again, pair it with the right app and by-the-numbers progress reports, match it to a deeper product line, and move it into the lifestyle column.
All of this is a reminder that weight management is the new reality. Promising pounds off in any time frame quicker than gradual is going to draw eye rolling, especially in the age of the cord-cutter when cable subscriptions are predicted to plummet and there wont be many eyeballs left for those insufferable infomercials. We have entered the age of influencer marketing, and the number of influencers eager to put their Twitter following on questionable ingredients is likely low. Integrity and transparency are integral to the influencer community. Instead, tech-connected protein and supplements to tick up but not boost" metabolism dont just make sense because thats a palatable promise. They make sense because thats basically all that really works.
Its not about weight loss any more, at least not past the two-week part of the Lose 10 pounds in two weeks!" pitch. Its about weight management. Its about lifestyle. And lifestyle is about people sticking with something over the long haul.
And potentially sticking with a product or brand on that journey.
Looking for more on weight loss ingredients and how to target consumers with appropriate messaging? Join us with Rick Politofor the TacklingWeight Management with Nutrition workshop on Tuesday, Sept. 26, at SupplySide West 2017. The Workshop is underwritten by NNB.
As Nutrition Business Journal's editor in chief, Rick Polito writes about the trends, deals and developments in the natural nutrition industry, looking for the little companies coming up and the big money coming in. An award-winning journalist, Polito knows that facts and figures never tell the whole story and that the story of this industry has always been about people.
- Turnip Health Benefits: Weight Management, Liver Protection, More - Medical Daily - December 9th, 2019
- Weight-loss surgery between pregnancies tied to better outcomes - Reuters - December 9th, 2019
- Introduction and Need of the Weight Management Pet Food | Market Analysis and Trends - Montana Ledger - December 9th, 2019
- Weight loss: The best probiotics to lose weight easily! - Times of India - December 9th, 2019
- Dietitians Say to Meal Prep These 3 Plant-Based Proteins on Sunday to Lose Weight All Week - POPSUGAR - December 9th, 2019
- Weight loss: Peanuts can help you lose weight - here is how to include them in your diet - Times Now - December 9th, 2019
- 5 Reasons Why A Plant-Based Diet Is Great For Your Health - International Business Times - December 9th, 2019
- Weight Management Market Value Share, Analysis and Segments 2017 to 2026 - Weekly Spy - December 9th, 2019
- Why Fiber Is the Real Weight Loss MVP and How to Get More - LIVESTRONG.COM - December 9th, 2019
- Latest study on Weight Loss & Diet Management Market Size and 2025 Predication Report - The Market Stats News - December 9th, 2019
- ARFID: Symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment - Medical News Today - December 9th, 2019
- James Martin weight loss: TV chef cut this from diet plan to shed a whopping six stone - Express - December 9th, 2019
- Karyopharm Reports New and Updated XPOVIO (Selinexor) Data in Relapsed or Refractory Multiple Myeloma at the American Society of Hematology 2019... - December 9th, 2019
- Do ice baths help in muscle recovery and weight loss? - Firstpost - December 9th, 2019
- Medifast Inc (NYSE:MED) Receives Average Recommendation of Hold from Brokerages - Mitchell Messenger - December 9th, 2019
- Brushing teeth frequently will lower the risk of heart failure: Study - ANI News - December 9th, 2019
- 10 Years of Teen Mom: A Look at the O.G. Journeys - E! NEWS - December 9th, 2019
- How to manage a fatty liver? - Times of India - December 9th, 2019
- Global Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Growth, Insights Analysis, Forecasts to 2025 GSK (GlaxoSmithKline), Nutrisystem, Atkins Nutritionals,... - December 3rd, 2019
- Weight loss: Top snacks to help you shape up revealed - which has fewest calories? - Express - December 3rd, 2019
- What Is The Best Time To Eat Dinner To Avoid Weight Gain? Here's The Answer Revealed - Doctor NDTV - December 3rd, 2019
- Latest Research | Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market 2019 Growth, Share Analysis and Business Strategy By Top players : Ajinomoto Co. Inc.,... - December 3rd, 2019
- Massive growth of Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2019: Major Players- GSK (GlaxoSmithKline), Nutrisystem, Atkins Nutritionals, Vivus,... - December 3rd, 2019
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Analysis by Top Companies, Driver, Existing Trends and Global Forecast by 2026 - The Market Publicist - December 3rd, 2019
- Weight Loss And Diet Management Products And Services Market Emerging Trends and Global Demands 2019 to 2025 - The Chicago Sentinel - December 3rd, 2019
- Weight Management Packaged Food Market, by Segmentation: Based on Product, Application and Region 2018 to 2028 - Space Market Research - December 3rd, 2019
- How to use chia seed water for weight loss - The Indian Express - December 3rd, 2019
- Exhaustive Study on Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market 2019-2028 Potentially Growing Significant Business Opportunities with Top Companies -... - December 3rd, 2019
- From Weight Loss to Heart Health, Here's Why You Must Eat Pistachios This Winter - Krishi Jagran - December 3rd, 2019
- DietDemand Experts Advise on Best Weight Control Practices Over Thanksgiving Weekend - StreetInsider.com - November 29th, 2019
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Introduces New Book by World-Renowned Weight Management Expert - Newswise - November 29th, 2019
- Global Weight Management Market 2025: Top Competitive Players Herbalife International, Inc., NutriSystem, Inc., Weight Watchers International, Inc. -... - November 29th, 2019
- BioCorRx on growth fast-track with robust pipeline, programs for substance use recovery, weight loss - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - November 29th, 2019
- Kindred Biosciences Receives FDA Approval of Zimeta(TM) (dipyrone injection) for the Control of Pyrexia in Horses - P&T Community - November 29th, 2019
- DA Davidson Weighs in on Weight Watchers International, Inc.s Q4 2019 Earnings (NASDAQ:WW) - TechNewsObserver - November 29th, 2019
- How Jamun seeds can be helpful in controlling diabetes - Times of India - November 29th, 2019
- Six low-carb yet tasty breakfast options you should try - NewsBytes - November 29th, 2019
- For Long Term Weight Loss, Focus On Healthy Habits Not Numbers - NPR - November 29th, 2019
- DietDemand Experts Advise on Best Weight Control Practices Over Thanksgiving Weekend - Financialbuzz.com - November 27th, 2019
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Changing Market Trends, New Business Opportunities Analysis and Forecast with Revenue Growth 2019-2025 -... - November 27th, 2019
- Digbi Health's Gut Biome and DNA-Based Weight Loss and Diabetes Management Program Launches with Blue Shield of California - PRNewswire - November 27th, 2019
- Weight Loss Most Likely to Improve -Cell Function in Patients With Obesity, IFG - Endocrinology Advisor - November 27th, 2019
- Weight Management Market Changing Market Trends, New Business Opportunities Analysis and Forecast with Revenue Growth 2019-2025 - Markets Gazette 24 - November 27th, 2019
- Yes, you can avoid weight gain over the holidays! - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - November 27th, 2019
- Carlsbad wrestlers Najera and Fuentes share Thanksgiving diets - Carlsbad Current Argus - November 27th, 2019
- Quick Weight Loss: 6 Easy Ways To Naturally Eat Less Without Feeling Starved - Doctor NDTV - November 27th, 2019
- Kindred Biosciences Receives FDA Approval of Zimeta (dipyrone injection) for the Control of Pyrexia in Horses - TheHorse.com - November 27th, 2019
- Weight Management Market to Develop Rapidly by 2017 to 2026 - Space Market Research - November 27th, 2019
- Global Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Insights, Future Scope, Business Opportunities, Growth Analysis And Industry Outlook 2028 - Industry... - November 27th, 2019
- What The Advance Of CWD Means For Wisconsin's Elk - WisContext - November 27th, 2019
- Global Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Business Tactics, Company Profile & Growth Forecast Till 2028 - Industry Planning - November 27th, 2019
- Heart attack: Doing this exercise for less than an hour a week may slash your risk - Express - November 27th, 2019
- With A Rebrand And A New App, Will WW International Rebound In 2020? - The Motley Fool - November 23rd, 2019
- Medifast: Gaining Profits from Losing Weight - Moneyshow.com - November 23rd, 2019
- 'This Is Us': Toby Just Took the Weight Loss Thing Too Far, and Fans Can't Take It - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 23rd, 2019
- Turnips: Nutrition, Calories, and Benefits - Healthline - November 23rd, 2019
- Include chickpea to your breakfast to lose weight quickly - Times of India - November 23rd, 2019
- Fat-shaming obese people will not help them lose weight. Here is what experts want you to know - TODAYonline - November 23rd, 2019
- Body Shape Management Market Outlooks, Future Forecasts, Key players , and Competitive Analysis 2025 | Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health &... - November 23rd, 2019
- Obesity Management in People with Diabetes - National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) - November 21st, 2019
- Weight management market anlysis 2019-2026 | Evaluation of Recent Industry Developments and Opportunity Assessment - The Chicago Sentinel - November 21st, 2019
- Monitoring Weight in Patients With Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Treated With Ibrutinib - Cancer Therapy Advisor - November 21st, 2019
- How to protect yourself from chronic wasting disease in deer - PennLive - November 21st, 2019
- Not Just Weight Loss Intermittent Fasting Can Help You Lead Longer, Healthier Life Too; Know Other Health Benefits Of Following This Diet - NDTV News - November 21st, 2019
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Diets Market Global Production, Growth, Share, Demand and Applications Forecast to 2025 - Statsflash - November 21st, 2019
- Keto Diet For Weight Loss: This Diet May Help You Fight Flu As Well, Says Study; Know Other Amazing Health Benefits Of Keto Diet - Doctor NDTV - November 21st, 2019
- Sipping water throughout the day is the key for weight loss, says new research - Wales Online - November 21st, 2019
- Boiling or steaming: Which method is better to cook veggies? - Times of India - November 21st, 2019
- The Latest Weight Loss Pills That WorkAnd the Ones That Don't - msnNOW - November 17th, 2019
- If You Do Intermittent Fasting, Here's What Doctors Suggest If You're Not Losing Weight - POPSUGAR - November 17th, 2019
- Grant will explore low vision's impact on healthy lifestyle behaviors - UAB News - November 17th, 2019
- Sipping water throughout the day is the key for weight loss, says new research - MyLondon - November 17th, 2019
- Three north country residents honored at 'Health Hero' luncheon - NNY360 - November 17th, 2019
- Elderly should be 'offered weight loss surgery to help control diabetes' - inews - November 17th, 2019
- Weight Management: Get Helpful Tips - November 9th, 2019
- CentraCare Weight Management | Central Minnesota Weight Loss - October 4th, 2019
- Weight Management at Stormont Vail Health : Personalized Plan ... - October 4th, 2019
- Weight Management Center - Gatewood | Wake Forest Baptist Health - October 4th, 2019
- Weight management - Health and wellbeing - October 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management - Metro Health Hospital - September 14th, 2019