There is no shortage of gadgets to help us through the day, reminding you that you went upstairs 27 times, tracking our training, checking our heart rate, confirming its raining and thats why you are drenched!
What about a gadget for weight management? A new electronic device called Lumen (www.lumen.me) has arrived, via the Indiegogo funding platform and is now out in the wild. We have a test unit to hand and we will be trying it in due course, out but in the meantime, heres some background into what it is and how it works.
Lumen is a portable device designed to accurately measure metabolism.Lumen uses a CO2 sensor and flow meter to determine the CO2 concentration in a single breath. This measure indicates the type of fuel your body is using to produce energy. Daily use of the little device in conjunction with the partnering app allows you to monitor, plan and control how your body is fuelled and what the body is using for fuel to accurately maintain a desired body weight or used to safely control weight by ensuring the body is burning the fat stored in your body.
Putting on weight by the build up of excess fat is a pretty simple process. We gain weight when excess carbohydrates, proteins, alcohol or sugar in the body are converted into triglycerides and stored in fat cells throughout the body. The more we consume above our individual daily calorie requirements, without reasonable activity to burn off the extra calories, will get stored in the body.
As a guide, men need around 2,500kcal (10,500kJ) a day to maintain a healthy body weight, and women need around 2,000kcal a day (8,400kJ). Embarking on a strenuous training plan will of course mean you need to increase your calorific intake to fuel this extra activity.
Metabolism is the process by which your body converts the food you consume into energy for immediate use or to be stored for later. If you store more than you burn then typically you gain weight.
Your body relies on three main sources of energy:
Our carbohydrate storage is the chief regulator of energy in the body.
Fat is one of six nutrients your body needs, along with carbohydrates, proteins, minerals, vitamins and water. Of these six nutrients, carbohydrates, protein and fats provide calories. We need fats, but too much fat being stored will lead to weight gain.
As you can see, fat has twice the calorie count of carbs and proteins. To lose weight, you need a calorie deficit. One way you can achieve this is by eating less, consuming fewer calories and exercising.
When you lose weight, where does the fat actually go? Traditionally it was believed that fat was burned and converted to energy and heat or even converted into muscle mass. Recent research indicates that your lungs are the primary organ involved with fat loss and getting it out of the body in a process that converts the fat into a form that can be easily exhaled.
Essentially, you breath out converted fat with CO2 with each breath. It should be noted that resting respiration is not going to get you lean by itself! You will need to exercise and raise your metabolism to get your body into a state where it will convert the trapped fat to be exhaled by your lungs. The water formed may also be excreted in the urine, faeces, sweat, breath, tears etc. There a many articles available from trusted sources that go much deeper into the science if you need further reading.
There are two main ways to measure your metabolism:
RQ Respiratory Quotient.Normally in a hospital/clinic with a costly and time-consuming test known as Respiratory Quotient, which is a measurement through the blood.RER Respiratory Exchange Ratio.Measured through analysing the breath.
Lumen uses RER as the core data point to bring the same measurement to a home environment, by measuring the CO2 in your breath through the sensor and flow meter, based on your RER metric. The CO2 concentration is measured using breath analysis, which is performed by inhaling a fixed volume of air through the Lumen device (dynamic to each individual), holding it for 10 seconds, and exhaling fully. You repeat this process at various points in the day so the device can get an accurate understanding of your body situation.
Metabolic flexibility means being flexible and able to alternate between using fats and using carbs as sources of fuel. This leads to sustainable weight loss, optimised workout performance, or weight maintenance. Healthy individuals can switch between their fuel sources, but better metabolic flexibility allows your body to do so more efficiently and quickly.
You have the ability to improve your metabolism through what you eat and your lifestyle habits. Each morning, Lumen determines the source of your bodys fuel carbs or fats. Lumen provides personalised nutrition recommendations and daily guidance on sleep, diet, exercise and more.
In multiple studies, Lumens patent-pending technology was deemed to accurately measure metabolic fuel usage through analysing your breath when compared to the gold standard RQ (blood) for measuring metabolism. This testing is done in realtime at various parts of the day.
When using the Lumen device to assess changes in metabolic fuel usage, Lumen can reproduce the same trends described in widely accepted literature. The Lumen technology was found to effectively differentiate between different metabolic states of its user.
In a nutshell the Lumen device can accurately analyse the characteristics of your exhaled breath, suggest a daily diet and activity plan to help you fine tune your nutrition and weight management through a measurable scientific process.
We are testing out a unit right now, so we will report back with our findings.
- Trimming the Fat: Weight Loss Strategies for the Overweight Horse - United States Eventing Association - June 20th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss Supplements Market Size, Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast To 2026 - Medic Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Novo Nordisk successfully completes AM833 phase 2 trial and phase 1 combination trial with AM833 and semaglutide in obesity - GlobeNewswire - June 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Supplements Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2025 - Galus Australis - June 20th, 2020
- Herd health can be improved Wyoming Livestock Roundup - Wyoming Livestock Roundup - June 20th, 2020
- The Alkaline Diet: Is There Evidence That It Benefits Our Health? - Discover Magazine - June 20th, 2020
- Obalon Announces First Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Business Update - GlobeNewswire - June 20th, 2020
- If You've Got $5,000 to Invest, These 5 Top Stocks Are the Real Deal - Motley Fool - June 20th, 2020
- 10 Pieces of Kit That Will Help You Drop Weight and Gain Muscle at Home - Men's health UK - June 20th, 2020
- Trending News: Weight Control Market Overview and Competitive Landscape 2020 to 2025: Abbott Nutrition, Bio-Synergy, Ajinomoto - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- Functional Carbohydrates Market to Exhibit Rapid Surge in Consumption in the COVID-19 Crisis - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- Whale-watching boat noise found to disrupt mother and calf resting times - The Guardian - June 20th, 2020
- Future of Weight Management Reviewed in a New Study Medic Report - Medic Insider - June 19th, 2020
- Sales of Weight Loss Services to Accelerate from Key End use Industries Buoyed By High Demand During COVID 19 Pandemic - Cole of Duty - June 19th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 19th, 2020
- If you think you can eat salads to lose weight, read this! - Times of India - June 19th, 2020
- 'Why I Opened The First LGBTQ Gym In The Nation' - Women's Health - June 19th, 2020
- Xeris Pharmaceuticals Announces Positive Topline Results from the Phase 2 Comparative Study of a Novel Pramlintide-insulin Co-formulation (XP-3924) in... - June 19th, 2020
- International Yoga Day 2020: Yoga asanas PM Modi swears by and how you can do them - TheHealthSite - June 19th, 2020
- Functional Food Ingredients Market Analysis, Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast up to 2027 - 3rd Watch News - June 19th, 2020
- The GOLO Diet: What it is and can it help with weight loss? - TODAY - June 18th, 2020
- Global Weight Management Beverages Market 2020 with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2026 - Flagler Times - June 18th, 2020
- NeonMind Files Patent Application for Therapeutic Use of DMT - Yahoo Finance - June 18th, 2020
- Drink This Kadi Patta (Curry Leaf) Juice Every Morning To Promote Weight Loss And Detox - NDTV Food - June 18th, 2020
- Why WW International Stock Jumped Today - The Motley Fool - June 18th, 2020
- Health Experts Explain the Link Between Chronic Illness and Healthy Eating - Prevention.com - June 18th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Diet Management Market 2020-2025: by Key Manufacturers with Countries, Type, Application and Forecast Till 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 18th, 2020
- Theres A New Fermented, Zero Calories Sugar On The Market (and It Actually Tastes Like Real Sugar) - Forbes - June 18th, 2020
- Global Minimally Invasive Weight Loss (Bariatric) Devices 2020 Industry Analysis, Segments, Value Chain and Key Trends 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 18th, 2020
- Body Fat Measurement Market to witness major growth in coming years - Cole of Duty - June 18th, 2020
- Global Weight Control Supplements Market 2020 Business Outlook with COVID-19 Scenario Analysis and Forecast 2026 - Weekly Wall - June 18th, 2020
- Trending 2020 Report on Corporate Wellness Management Market Share, Growth, Demand, Trends, Region Wise Analysis of Top Players and Forecasts - Cole... - June 18th, 2020
- Family News & Events - The Irish Catholic - June 18th, 2020
- Benefits of Vakrasana: Do this yoga asana to lower blood sugar levels, tone your tummy and thighs - Times Now - June 18th, 2020
- How To Eat Mangoes For Breakfast: Recipes, Tips And Tricks - NDTV Food - June 18th, 2020
- Nine ways these playoffs could wildly reshape the NBA - ESPN - June 18th, 2020
- How to live longer: A drink to reduce the risk of cancer and boost life expectancy - Express - June 18th, 2020
- Eating as a family helps maintain healthy weight - The Star Online - June 18th, 2020
- COVID-19 can lead to obesity in kids: Here are some effective weight loss yoga asanas for children - TheHealthSite - June 9th, 2020
- Why it's so difficult to lose weight: The hard truths - CNET - June 9th, 2020
- Eating Disorders During COVID-19: Helping Patients Navigate the Crisis - Psychiatry Advisor - June 9th, 2020
- What products were among those marketed with the most outrageous claims of all time? - USA TODAY - June 9th, 2020
- Keeping an open nose in the hatchery - The Poultry Site - June 9th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole of... - June 9th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 -... - June 9th, 2020
- Engaging in family meals helps to improve eating habits - Yahoo News - June 9th, 2020
- Karyopharm Announces Dosing of First Patient in a Phase 1/2 Study of Selinexor in Combination with Standard of Care Therapy for Patients with Newly... - June 9th, 2020
- Rapid Nutrition Awarded Innovation Connections Grant from Australian Government to Support Development of New Cold and Flu Therapy - GlobeNewswire - June 9th, 2020
- Healthy family meals start with healthy communication, study suggests - The Indian Express - June 9th, 2020
- Association between obesity and abnormal Papanicolau(Pap) smear cytology results in a resource-poor Nigerian setting - BMC Blogs Network - June 9th, 2020
- Demand for Weight Loss Services Market to Soar in the Coming Years in Top Regional Markets Medic Report - Medic Insider - June 9th, 2020
- Here's the official list of businesses reopening during Stage 2 in Ontario - blogTO - June 9th, 2020
- Peanuts for Weight Loss: Are They Beneficial? - Healthline - June 8th, 2020
- Examining The Effects Of The Mediterranean Diet On Weight Management - Longevity LIVE - June 8th, 2020
- Weight Management Appears To Improve In Time by 2026 - Surfacing Magazine - June 8th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Product Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast... - June 8th, 2020
- Weight Management Market Size 2020 Application, Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Worldwide Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 8th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Product Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product Types, And Applications Forecast To 2026 - 3rd... - June 8th, 2020
- Weight Loss Market to 2025: Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications - Jewish Life News - June 8th, 2020
- Everything to know about the NBA's 22-team restart at Walt Disney World - ESPN - June 8th, 2020
- COVID-19: Responding to the business impacts of Weight Management Beverages Market Value Share, Supply Demand, Share and Value Chain - Personal Injury... - June 8th, 2020
- Ask the doctor: What is the link between milk and cancer? - The Standard - June 8th, 2020
- Why we've gained weight during lockdown and what to do about it - Press and Journal - June 8th, 2020
- Vervain (Verbena): Benefits, Uses, and Side Effects - Healthline - June 8th, 2020
- United States Weight Loss Market in 2020: Effects of the COVID-19 Pandemic - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - June 4th, 2020
- Cranberries may enhance metabolic and liver benefits of weight loss diet: RCT - NutraIngredients-usa.com - June 4th, 2020
- The Ultimate Guide to CBD And Seniors for Weight Loss - Riverfront Times - June 4th, 2020
- Woman drops 112 pounds so her husband can carry her 18 years after the wedding - Home - WSFX - June 4th, 2020
- Weight loss: Burn belly fat and hundreds of calories by drinking green tea daily - Express - June 4th, 2020
- Weight loss: Five breakfast ideas to help you burn belly fat - what are they? - Express - June 4th, 2020
- US Plant-Based Meat Market to hit $4.15 billion by 2026, Says Global Market Insights, Inc. - GlobeNewswire - June 4th, 2020
- Which is healthier, butter or peanut butter? - Times of India - June 4th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market with Report In Depth Industry Analysis on Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast - WaterCloud News - June 4th, 2020
- 'I found out my husband was married to three other wives - so got my revenge body' - Mirror Online - June 4th, 2020
- Ever made a dish with cactus? Try this simple, healthy sabzi recipe - The Indian Express - June 4th, 2020
- Did you know mango leaves have more nutrients than mangoes? - Times of India - June 4th, 2020
- Obesity prevention must begin at home - The Star Online - June 4th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market Global Industry Analysis by Size Share Growth Trends and Forecast 2020 2025 - 3rd Watch... - June 4th, 2020
- Live Performance Australia's $345 million plan to restart and rebuild the entertainment industry - Australasian Leisure Management - June 4th, 2020
- What to eat to avoid painful gallstones - The Durango Herald - June 3rd, 2020