It usually occurs between 45 and 55 years of age and is when a woman stops having periods and is no longer able to get pregnant naturally.
Even though it impacts all women at some point talking about it is still seen as a taboo subject and something people shy away from addressing.
This is something that Vicky OFarrell is keen to tackle.
Vicky was 49 when she went through the menopause but noticed the start of the peri-menopause around the age of 40.
She said: I think it is a taboo subject because people dont understand it. When you understand it, you can make sense of it and you can support others.
To raise awareness of health and menopause, the World Health Organisation and the International Menopause Society have designated October as World Menopause Month and October 18 is World Menopause Day.
Vicky, from Haywards Heath, said: We need to have a menopause awareness full stop.
The fact that we now have a day / month gives us a reason to talk about it.
Whether we like it or not, we will ALL be affected by menopause, as females both physically and emotionally and as men feeling the emotional effects from partners, family, (sister, mother, aunt) work colleagues, the more we talk about it, the more we are aware of these symptoms, the more we normalise it, the better equipped we are to manage menopause.
In the UK, the average age for a woman to reach the menopause is 51.
During the menopause a womans oestrogen levels decline.
Periods usually start to become less frequent over a few months or years before they stop altogether. Sometimes they can stop suddenly.
On the NHS website it says that most women will experience menopausal symptoms.
Some of these can be quite severe and have a significant impact on womens everyday activities.
Common symptoms include: hot flushes, night sweats, vaginal dryness and discomfort during sex, difficulty sleeping, low mood or anxiety, reduced sex drive (libido), and problems with memory and concentration
Menopausal symptoms can begin months or even years before someones periods stop and last around four years after the last period, although some women experience them for much longer.
Vicky, 49, explained how going through menopause impacted her.
She said: It was horrendous.
I had a my worst year last year, I term it the tsunami.
All the emotions, all the symptoms, all the feelings and all at once.
I hit a very low, dark stop where I would just cry myself to sleep every night, not wanting to wake up in the morning, because I was so miserable and I couldnt see a way out.
I felt so alone, so useless, so tired and so exhausted.
There are a number of treatments your GP can and they may suggest lifestyle changes if you have severe menopausal symptoms that interfere with your day-to-day life.
Treatments include hormone replacement therapy (HRT) tablets, skin patches, gels and implants that relieve menopausal symptoms by replacing oestrogen. Vaginal oestrogen creams, lubricants or moisturisers for vaginal dryness, and cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) a type of talking therapy that can help with low mood and anxiety.
Other things you can do include eating a healthy, balanced diet and exercising regularly maintaining a healthy weight and staying fit and strong can improve some menopausal symptoms.
There are many misconceptions when it comes to the menopause, which is something else Vicky wants to address.
She said: The misconceptions are that its an old age thing, seriously Im 49 and I am not old.
That HRT gives you breast cancer. That is just all hot flushes and mood swings. That women get depressed , hormonal depression is way different to depression and needs to be treated differently.
It is also important for women to talk to their female family members.
Vicky said: It is important for two reasons. One to understand what is is and two because we often follow the female line in terms of age and symptoms.
After I was introduced to Kathryn Colas, we met and realised we had so much synergy running our own business and she watched me present my training programmes and asked if I would like to become a menopause ambassador and the rest is history.
Kathryn and Vicky also run workshops to help women going through the menopause.
Vicky said: I was introduced to Kathryn about six years ago because I was struggling to find the support.
Kathryn set the business up over ten years ago because of her journey through menopause hell. We are not doctors or medical practitioners but every ambassador has had one hell of journey with menopause so we talk openly and frankly about the physical and emotional impact of menopause. The impact to business, the impact of ignorance and we are there to give guidance not medical advice but to open the conversations for organisations to have with their employees and give support to their workforce - both female and male.
In terms of what need to change when it comes to menopause Vicky said: Affordable and available specialists so every women has the chance to get the support she needs. Teach it in schools, train it in the workplace, make a menopause policy compulsory for every employer.
Dont be alone going through menopause - open up and talk about it, there are groups on social media and so much support. PLUS its only a stage in your life - its not forever, there IS LIFE on the other side !!!!!!
Vicky also has her own business Motivational Voice, which helps people achieve their potential, through coaching, training and motivational speaking.
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Archives - Stock Market Vista - October 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Steady Expansion During 2018 to 2028 - The Think Curiouser - October 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market is Driven by Rising Incidences of Hormonal Imbalance Disorders - PRnews Leader - October 28th, 2020
- Japan Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Flourish with an Impressive Cagr During 2019-2025 - The Think Curiouser - October 28th, 2020
- Menopause: How to cope with it? - The Yucatan Times - October 28th, 2020
- New virtual clinic aims to provide accessible, inclusive health care to LGBTQIA+ North Carolinians - Yes! Weekly - October 28th, 2020
- Project Home: BIPOC Trans Artists At Odds With Non-Profit Over Future Of SFs Red Victorian Hotel - CBS San Francisco - October 28th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Crisis on Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Demand and Consumption Growth, Predicts Fact.MR - The Cloud Tribune - October 25th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Comprehensive Growth by 2017 to 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 25th, 2020
- Thoughts of Breast Health in Breast Cancer Awareness Month - Yahoo Singapore News - October 25th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market 2020 Determined By Manufacturing Summary, Business Profile And Estimate To 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Demand (2020-2026) | Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies |... - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Trends, Global Growth, Insights And Forecast Research Report 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market anticipates revenue will hit up to XX% CAGR by 2026: Segmentation by Revenue, Gross margin, Industrial Analysis,... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market By Manufacturers, Development Strategy, Upcoming Trends and Huge Growth By 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 21st, 2020
- Hammerling-Hodgers: Don't delay if you have any signs of breast cancer - Florida Today - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Exponential Growth by 2018 to 2028 - Aerospace Journal - October 21st, 2020
- Exclusive Interview with Dr. Zainab Mogul-Ashraf (Dr. Z) of Hebe Medical Spa - Hudson Valley Style Magazine - October 21st, 2020
- Women's Health Diagnostics Market projected to expand at a CAGR of ~6% from 2019 to 2027 - The Think Curiouser - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 Global Analysis By Application, End-User, Market Share, Demand, Supply, Technological Trends And Forecast Till... - October 21st, 2020
- US Food and Drug Administration Accepts for Priority Review Applications for OPDIVO (nivolumab) in Combination with CABOMETYX (cabozantinib) in... - October 21st, 2020
- DSEJ organises Webinar on Breast Cancer Disease- Early Detection Saves Lives - India Education Diary - October 21st, 2020
- Having Large Testicles May be linked to Cardiovascular Disease Italian Study Shows - Gilmore Health News - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Exclusive Report Analysis 2020-2025 - Aerospace Journal - October 21st, 2020
- Anti-Osteoporosis Therapy And Fracture Healing Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2028: Novartis, Johnson and Johnson, GlaxoSmithKline PLC, Roche... - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Research Conclusions|Business Plans|Strategies with Forecast 20 - PharmiWeb.com - October 17th, 2020
- Davina McCall spoke candidly about her experience of perimenopause and HRT on Loose Women - goodhousekeeping.com - October 17th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Report 2019 with Key Players, Regions, Trends, Market Growth, SWOT Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 17th, 2020
- Schedule Your Breast Cancer Screening this Month - raccoonvalleyradio.com - October 17th, 2020
- World Menopause Day: 5 must have products to cure hormonal imbalance - India Today - October 17th, 2020
- Earlier pubertal timing predicts higher psychosexuality in adulthood - PsyPost - October 17th, 2020
- The News Journal 5 things you can start doing now to help reduce your risk of breast cancer - The News Journal - October 17th, 2020
- UMass Amherst Recognized as a Top LGBTQ-Friendly Campus for 10th Consecutive Year - UMass News and Media Relations - October 17th, 2020
- Extensive new medi-wellness resort, RAKxa, will offer complete blueprint of health in Bangkok's 'Green Lung' - Spa Business - October 17th, 2020
- One key to improving medical care:... - Kirkland Reporter - October 17th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size 2020, Production, Share, Revenue, Analysis and Innovative Revolution and Forecast Report to 2026 -... - October 17th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size, Key Trends, Challenges and Standardization, Research, Key Players with COVID 19 Impact Analysis and... - October 7th, 2020
- Message to Rep. Wes Allen: HB1 is an attack on transgendered youths and parental rights - Montgomery Advertiser - October 7th, 2020
- Shoptalk: Parent company to temporarily close Edwards Grand Teton theater - Post Register - October 7th, 2020
- Press A, Be Gay: LGBTQ Representation in Video Games - QNotes - October 7th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Industry Key Drivers, Business Insights And Forecast 2024 | F. Hoffmann-La Roche, Merck Serono, Novartis - uco360.com - October 7th, 2020
- So where is our land? Where is the space for us? - Mail and Guardian - October 7th, 2020
- Sex and Menopause, According to a Neuroscientist - Glamour - October 7th, 2020
- Your Health Is on the Ballot: Why You Should Vote for Science in the 2020 Presidential Election - Prevention.com - October 7th, 2020
- Hormone therapy is an option to treat breast cancer - Hamilton Journal News - October 3rd, 2020
- Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Solid Analyzed Segmentation, Demand, Recent Share Estimation and Growth Prospects by Regions to 2022... - October 3rd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact: Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market | Strategic Industry Evolutionary Analysis Focus on Leading Key Players and Revenue Growth... - October 3rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy market size was US$ 15950 million and it is expected to reach US$ 17720 million by the end of 2026, with a CAGR of 1.5% -... - October 3rd, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Tablets Market Covid 19 Overview:Demand Analysis & Growth Opportunities By 2019-2026||ALLERGAN, Novo... - October 3rd, 2020
- Solving the Mystery of My Missing Menstruation - ELLE.com - October 3rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Technological Advancement & Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - October 1st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market - Quantitative Analysis, Current and Future Trends, 2018 to 2028 - The Market Records - October 1st, 2020
- Hormone replacement therapy market- factors responsible for driving or restraining the market - Credence Turbine - October 1st, 2020
- In the Business of Beautifying Hudson Valley, One Face at a Time Hebe Medical Spa in Fishkill, NY - Hudson Valley Style Magazine - October 1st, 2020
- The HER2 Testing market to Transcend the Covid-19 Barrier from 2021 onwards - The Market Records - October 1st, 2020
- Hormone therapy is an option to treat breast cancer - The Albany Herald - September 30th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Mithra Pharmaceuticals,... - September 30th, 2020
- Why Some Experts Say Cannabis Is Effective in Treating Menopause - Healthline - September 30th, 2020
- Ascendis Pharma A/S Announces Preliminary Six-Month Data from Open-Label Extension of Phase 2 PaTH Forward Trial and Files IND Amendment to Initiate... - September 30th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2019 - 2024 - The Market Records - September 30th, 2020
- Medical profession cares little for women with early onset menopause - The Independent - September 30th, 2020
- Trans youth are less likely to have suicidal thoughts with early care - Insider - INSIDER - September 30th, 2020
- Menopausal Women May Be Able To Give Birth After Blood Plasma Injections - Anti Aging News - September 30th, 2020
- Genomics Market to Rise at 19.5% CAGR and Reach USD 82.60 Billion by 2027; Advances in Diagnostic Applications will Lead to a Wider Product Adoption,... - September 30th, 2020
- Relationship of breastfeeding duration with joint pain and knee osteoarthritis in middle-aged Korean women: a cross-sectional study using the Korea... - September 30th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market is Set for Lucrative Growth During 20202026 Zion Market Research - The Daily Chronicle - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market 2019 Services, Demand, Size, Growth Trends, Business Opportunities, Industry Analysis, Top Players &... - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size is Thriving worldwide with Topmost Keyplayer Like:Eli Lilly, Pfizer, AbbVie, Novo Nordisk, Merck KGaA - Weekly... - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market share forecast to witness considerable growth from 2020 to 2025 | By Top Leading Vendors F. Hoffmann-La Roche,... - September 28th, 2020
- Everything You Need To Know About Ovarian Cancer Diagnosis - NDTV Doctor - September 28th, 2020
- New Detailed Information: Hormone Replacement Therapy Market By Global Trends, Business Growth, And Forecasts 2026 | Covid19 Impact Analysis | Key... - September 22nd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market has Huge Impact in Industry 2020 2026 - Verdant News - September 22nd, 2020
- Dar Bioscience Receives $0.9 million Under the Current Grant - BioSpace - September 22nd, 2020
- Early menopause puts women at 'significantly' higher risk of depression, study finds - TheSpec.com - September 22nd, 2020
- Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - The Bethel Citizen - September 18th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market-Segment Market Trends, Analysis and Forecast 2019 2023 - Scientect - September 18th, 2020
- Dyspareunia: What Causes Pain During Sex and How Can it Be Prevented? - News18 - September 18th, 2020
- Predictive Analytics in Healthcare Market Growth Rate, Demands, Status and Application Forecast to 2026 - AlgosOnline - September 18th, 2020
- Isle of Wight author calling on NHS to offer 'pain-free' cancer treatment option - Isle of Wight County Press - September 18th, 2020
- Dr. Roach: Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - The Detroit News - September 15th, 2020