By Catherine Wolkers, national head of reasearch and insight,Wavemaker
While many in Asia-Pacific remain optimistic, new normal confidence and behaviour varies greatlybetween markets and demographics.
We are optimisticDespite very real worries over economic recession and job security, the latest research from Wavemaker suggests many in Asia-Pacific have held onto a sense of optimism.
In its Braving the New Normalstudy, Wavemaker pulled together a quantitative study of 8,784 APAC respondents that included its poll of 4,116 in mainland China from February 15th to 17th, together with an expanded survey from Australia, India, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia between March 26th and April 16th.
It found that consumer optimism has remained throughout the crisis, with 78% of respondents in China and 63% in Wuhan stating they were optimistic even when the pandemic peaked in February. Six weeks later, 57% of people across APAC still felt optimistic (55% in Australia), especially 18 to 29 year-olds (63%).
Context is everythingIts clear from the many studies being undertaken that attitudes are changing every day and Wavemaker too has found that optimism levels are highly situational. Whilst the average remains positive, its more useful to examine optimism levels in context. Here you can see a correlation with the relative level of consumer confidence prior to the start of the outbreak:
Context is likely the best indicator of recoveryAs countries slowly get Covid-19 under control, its this context that will likely be the best indicator of how we recover. Wavemaker and Kantar suggest high consumer confidence before Covid-19 may see a V- Shape while markets with lower confidence may see a U. For Australia, a W feels quite likely, with some sectors recovering faster than others.
An L-shape recovery is considered unlikely, with many experts likening this to a natural disaster, not a financial crisis. This is because the human capital is being affected, not the physical capital something that will ease when self-isolation and social distancing measures are relaxed.
This is not a financial shock, not a regular recessionIts a natural disaster.
Antonio Fats, Professor of Economics, INSEAD
Trend acceleration in China gives us a view to the futureConsistently across Asia-Pacific we are seeing huge changes in behaviour but not all trends will continue to the same degree that they have been under the pandemic. Looking at the Chinese experience, Wavemaker has seen how some consumer behaviours like ordering fresh food online (which had already been steadily rising and accelerated during the peak of COVID-19) reach new levels of sustained growth. Other trends like fitness apps used at home are more likely to receive a short-term bounce, which may not be sustained through the recovery period.
Since many Chinese brands are looking to capitalise on accelerated trends there is a lot of pressure to rapidly innovate. For example, a lot of brands are quickly jumping on new emerging channels, such as livestreaming, which Wavemaker says has resulted in "a chaotic battle with limited observable effectiveness." Brands are encouraged to review the balance of "noise" around a new trend to resist copycat innovation, keeping all initiatives relevant to core objectives and ideally to brand purpose.
What about Australia? Younger Aussies are the most optimisticBy the time Covid-19 hit Australia, our country was already reeling from a three-year drought, extreme floods and devastating bushfires. Thinking that the fires had ended, Australians were suddenly being told to cancel their holidays and that it was no longer safe to go to work, see their friends, or do any of the outdoor activities that make Australia, Australia. The last major fire went out on 10 th February, but the first Australian Covid-19 case was January 25 we were blindsided at a time when we were hoping to come up for air.
Concern accelerated quickly, with Kantar research showing that Australians with significant concern about COVID-19s impact jumped from 16% to 45% over a two-week period, around mid-March (concern has since eased, according to Nines Consumer Pulse surveys). Wavemaker research shows that younger Aussies are more likely to feel very optimistic about the future while older Aussies are more likely to feel extreme pessimism, indicating that older generations may be more cautious with spending habits as we emerge out of this crisis.
"At home" behaviours surgeWavemaker sees a huge increase in a variety of at home behaviours here in Australia, particularly the desires to stay hyper-informed, look after the family and home, and find sources of relief (distraction through TV, hobbies, reading and games). Finding new ways to connect is also more important than ever, particularly for 18-29 year-olds: almost half say they have increased the amount they talk to others.
Recommendation: Brands should find ways to facilitate these growth areas and make declining behaviours more accessible. For example, Colgate recognised that we need to stay connected, and smile, now more than ever, so they created a new TVC using the one thing that unites all our virtual sharing smiles.
Life after Covid-19Wavemaker research shows that 75% of Aussies believe the outbreak will be under control within 6 months. When this happens, the biggest behaviours expected to bounce back are travel, being with family, shopping, meal gatherings and outdoor dining providing rich opportunities for brands to help people celebrate reconnecting and togetherness.
These behaviours are closely followed by self-improvement: being more grateful, doing more sport and exercise, replanning their life, finding a new job, and getting fit and losing weight brands should be thinking now about how they can facilitate this during recovery.
Recommendation: Whilst downturns will take time to work through, many of the facts about culture and society will look quite consistent. Many will also sustain their consumption habits. But consumers will feel differently. Brands should think about how they can bring people together, create an emotional connection and actively contribute now is the time to act on brand purpose.
Brands should be grounded in the every day recognise that dreams are not just exotic travels and lifeoverhauls. Celebrate the small pleasures and bring your brand closer to daily life.
- This is where losing weight really begins - KGUN - July 7th, 2020
- The 15 Best Expert Tips to Succeed at Your Plant-Based Diet - The Beet - July 7th, 2020
- Lose weight: Three health hacks to help you lose belly fat after lockdown - T3 - July 7th, 2020
- Slimming World champion lifts the lid on losing weight in lockdown - Nottinghamshire Live - July 7th, 2020
- 'With Intermittent Fasting And The CICO Diet, I Lost Over 100 Pounds In 14 Months' - Women's Health - July 7th, 2020
- Gemma Collins looks slimmer than ever as she models new PJ collection after three stone weight loss - The Sun - July 7th, 2020
- Former NFL Linemen Reveal The Surprising Struggles Of Losing Weight After Spending Years Getting Paid To Be A Massive Human - BroBible - July 7th, 2020
- Weight loss: Add this spice to your diet daily to help burn belly fat fast - Express - July 7th, 2020
- 5ive's Abz Love looks incredible after losing weight and feels younger than ever - Mirror Online - July 7th, 2020
- Five months after final game, Joe Staley says he's lost tremendous amount of weight - KNBR - July 7th, 2020
- Removing food delivery apps helped with my weight loss: Simon K King - The Hindu - July 7th, 2020
- Dom Sibley Reveals The Time He Felt The Need To Lose His Weight - Cricket Addictor - July 7th, 2020
- Amazing Slimming World weight loss transformations in June - Plymouth Live - July 7th, 2020
- Slimming World groups in Trowbridge take District of the Year title - This Is Wiltshire - July 7th, 2020
- Dublin woman shares how she lost 3st - and continued to lose weight during lockdown - RSVP Live - July 7th, 2020
- How to lose visceral fat: One of the best exercises to help burn belly fat - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Strict exercise regime without correct diet is unhel..ace mayonnaise, eight other foods for fast weight loss - Firstpost - July 7th, 2020
- Survey reveals stress, anxiety, tiredness and boredom are the main causes of unhealthy eating habits in lockdown - Leamington Observer - July 7th, 2020
- Galway PT shares tips for fussy eaters who want to change diet and lose weight - RSVP Live - July 7th, 2020
- Super slimmer mum loses seven stone in incredible transformation after simple boost of confidence - Birmingham Live - July 7th, 2020
- Lockdown weight loss story: From an overweight kid to a fitness blogger, this guy's weight loss journey is incredible! - Times of India - June 30th, 2020
- Trying to shed extra kilos? Include these 6 snacks to achieve your goals - PINKVILLA - June 30th, 2020
- This Guy Shared What He Has Learned After Doing Intermittent Fasting for 7 Years - Men's Health - June 30th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge weight loss: how the Remarkable Places to Eat chef shed 12st - The Scottish Sun - June 30th, 2020
- Looking to lose weight in a healthy way? Try these desi weight loss breakfast recipes - India TV News - June 30th, 2020
- Yo Gotti Reveals A Massive Weight Loss Of 40 Pounds - Celebrity Insider - June 30th, 2020
- Lockdown weight loss: Here's how I lost 10 kilos in 3 months post my C-sec delivery - Times of India - June 30th, 2020
- Film Study: Why Skinny Jokic Should Thrive, Not Struggle In Nuggets Return - Forbes - June 30th, 2020
- Understanding The Link Between Hypertension And Obesity: Know How To Regulate Your Blood Pressure Numbers - NDTV Doctor - June 30th, 2020
- Should You Exercise On An Empty Stomach? Here's What The Experts Say - mindbodygreen.com - June 30th, 2020
- Is The Keto Diet Bad For You? Dangers Of The Low-Carb Diet - Women's Health - June 30th, 2020
- Rob Kardashian's Body Evolution Through the Years - MSN Money - June 30th, 2020
- Were all big guys: To hit their weight goals without provided meals, BSU football linemen had to adapt - The Star Press - June 30th, 2020
- Sixers' Zhaire Smith will miss Orlando restart with knee injury - PhillyVoice.com - June 30th, 2020
- First-person account: I got COVID in Boise. I'm fine, but here's what I went through - boisedev.com - June 30th, 2020
- Cork couple tell of simple tips that saw them lose five stone during lockdown - Irish Mirror - June 30th, 2020
- What Is The Mayr Method Diet Rebel Wilson Is Using To Lose Weight? - Women's Health - June 26th, 2020
- Smriti Irani shares a relatable post on the struggles of losing weight; it will make you laugh out loud - Times of India - June 26th, 2020
- The incredible weight loss of one of the best props in rugby history - Rugby OnSlaught - June 26th, 2020
- Man shed nearly 300 pounds, credits massive weight loss with helping him beat coronavirus, find love - Home - WSFX - June 26th, 2020
- How did Teen Moms Chelsea Houska lose all her weight? - The Sun - June 26th, 2020
- Collagen and your weight: The myth and merits - All4Women - June 26th, 2020
- How Chris Moyles shed 5st in weight loss transformation by ditching bread for juice and working with David - The Sun - June 26th, 2020
- After two miscarriages I gave up comfort food and lost nine stone to fulfil my dream of becoming a mum - The Sun - June 26th, 2020
- Sexual Abuse and Eating Disorders: What's the Connection? - PsychCentral.com - June 26th, 2020
- The man shed nearly 300 pounds, credits massive weight loss with helping him beat the coronavirus, finding love - NewsDio - June 26th, 2020
- Protein Powder with Coffee: Benefits, Downsides, and How To - Healthline - June 26th, 2020
- Walking to lose weight: Does it work? - TODAY - June 25th, 2020
- Rowing for Weight Loss: Calories Burned, Workout Plans, and More - Healthline - June 25th, 2020
- Not losing weight anymore? This can help - Jill Lopez - June 25th, 2020
- Resurge Reviews: Does It Really Work? [2020 Update] - Riverfront Times - June 25th, 2020
- Common foods that help you lose weight much faster - Checkersaga - June 25th, 2020
- When I Started Eating A Plant-Based Diet And Walking For Weight Loss, My Body Changed Almost Instantly - Women's Health - June 25th, 2020
- Four dals that are best for weight loss - Times of India - June 25th, 2020
- 5 Foods that will help you lose weight + recipes - All4Women - June 25th, 2020
- Homemade weight loss shakes to help stay in shape - Times of India - June 25th, 2020
- The pandemic, body image, and what matters most - al.com - June 25th, 2020
- 'I Lost 125 Lbs. With Rachel Hollis' Last 90 Days Challenge And Intuitive Eating' - Women's Health - June 25th, 2020
- Must be inclusive and diverse HUL drops Fair from their Fair & Lovely product line - ThePrint - June 25th, 2020
- Connor Wickham on breaking his duck, losing weight and his Sheffield Wednesday future - Yorkshire Live - June 25th, 2020
- MENTAL HEALTH: Why it's vital to seek support if you are having problems - Ilkley Gazette - June 25th, 2020
- Weight loss: How to lose your lockdown belly fat in 2 weeks - Express - June 20th, 2020
- Problem is everyone is trying to be good and perfect: Lifestyle coach, author Luke Coutinho - The New Indian Express - June 20th, 2020
- Healthy Diabetes Diet Helps Blood Sugar and Weight Management - The Good Men Project - June 20th, 2020
- 'Man of the Year' Andy's amazing transformation after losing more than 5st - Stoke-on-Trent Live - June 20th, 2020
- Experts say lockdown is a good time to think about healthy eating and lifestyle choices - The Sunday Post - June 20th, 2020
- Hes Horncastles Man of the Year - Horncastle News - June 20th, 2020
- What Is the Lazy Keto Diet? - Can You Lose Weight on the Lazy Keto Diet? - GoodHousekeeping.com - June 19th, 2020
- Gemma Collins reveals her desires to have a baby in her forties, talks losing weight to try to get pregnant - Yahoo Sports - June 19th, 2020
- Weight loss: Experts behind Adeles weight loss diet share the ultimate healthy snack - Express - June 19th, 2020
- The truth about the lazy keto diet - The List - June 19th, 2020
- Food mistakes to avoid during the lockdown if you are trying to lose weight - The Standard - June 19th, 2020
- Weight loss: Can the colour of your plate influence the numbers on your scale? - TheHealthSite - June 19th, 2020
- International Yoga Day 2020: From stress buster to weight loss; 7 reasons you cannot say no to yoga - Catch News - June 19th, 2020
- How Heat Inspired Derek Cianfrance and Mark Ruffalos Collaboration on I Know This Much Is True - Variety - June 19th, 2020
- The importance of physical activity for the over 40s - Wales247 - June 19th, 2020
- Jessica Simpson Is Teaching Her Daughters About Weight and Body Image - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - June 19th, 2020
- If losing your job to the pandemic destroyed your identity, here's how to find it - KTVZ - June 19th, 2020
- Using OMAD Diet Days And Weighing My Food, I Lost 195 Pounds In Less Than 2 Years - Women's Health - June 17th, 2020
- CHARLES ROMANS: Before calories and inches | Opinion - The Independent - June 17th, 2020