SubmitedPhoto Make fruit a part of your diet. (Photo courtesy of Pixabay.)
Julie, you need some cookies.
I could almost hear the basket of welcome back to campus treats beckoning me by name. It was on the reception desk near my office.
I could not ignore the temptation. I nabbed a small pack of cookies.
The basket had a variety of snack crackers, popcorn and bottled water, along with treats such as cookies and candy bars.
I already have water and popcorn in my office.
A couple of hours later, the basket beckoned me again.
Julie, you really need a candy bar.
I somehow resisted the call of the treat basket. Narrowly.
My colleagues were made aware of the basket during a Zoom meeting. They also know that I am in the office suite, usually alone. If all the treats are gone, they know who ate them.
I have been in my campus office almost every work day since March. When classes ended abruptly, we all had the option to work at home or work in our offices. I chose isolation in my office because my house distracts me with dozens of tasks that need my attention.
I have gotten up at the usual time every day for six months, put on my typical work clothes and tried not to snack all day in my campus office.
Then the basket arrived.
The department administrative assistant moved the basket to the breakroom down the hall, away from both of us. Just for fun, I have been monitoring the status of the treats as faculty have returned to teach classes. All the cookies and candy bars are gone.
You may have heard of the quarantine 15 or the pandemic 15 on TV news shows or in magazines, similar to the freshman 15.
College freshmen tend to gain weight. In fact, researchers have found that 25% of college freshmen gain at least 5% of their body weight during their first semester. Although 15 pounds often is cited, their actual weight gain is closer to 7 1/2 to 10 pounds.
I am sure some researchers are in the midst of an epic pandemic weight gain study.
Weve been stressed for a variety of reasons these past months. As our world has changed, many people have changed their eating and physical activity habits. Many of us spend our days on Zoom video calls or working at computers for hours.
Gyms were closed for months, and some people stayed inside and binge-watched movies. Others are baking and cooking to the point that ingredient shortages occurred at grocery stores. Yeast was like gold in some areas.
I never have seen so many photos of baked goods show up on my Facebook feed.
We promote healthful home food preparation in the field of nutrition, so cooking and baking at home is fun. However, too many cookies and calories in general can result in weight gain.
I think we all know that.
Some people have changed their wardrobe to sweat pants and T-shirts. Be careful with stretchy fabrics if weight management is your goal.
You might want to wear jeans or pants with waistbands in your current size.
Do you know your body mass index (BMI)? The BMI weight tool takes into account height and weight. You can calculate yours with this formula: Weight (in pounds) divided by height (inches) divided (again) by height in inches. Then multiply that number by 703.
A BMI below 18.5 is considered underweight. A BMI of 18.5 to 24.9 is considered normal weight, from 25 to 29.9 is considered overweight, and 30 and above is obese.
See https://tinyurl.com/NDSUBMI or an online calculator from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Excess weight has many health effects. It increases our risk for diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, joint issues and many other health concerns. Now health experts are warning us that obesity is a risk factor in the severity of COVID-19 symptoms.
Losing weight may be a challenge during a pandemic, so maintaining our current weight might be our best option.
We all can learn lessons from the people who have been tracked on the National Weight Control Registry. The list includes more than 10,000 people who have achieved and maintained significant weight loss.
Their weight loss has ranged from 30 pounds to 300 pounds. About 98% of those in the registry have modified their food intake and 94% have increased their physical activity. The favorite activity has been walking.
Most (78%) eat breakfast daily and 75% weigh themselves at least once a week. Nearly two out of three limit their TV viewing to 10 hours per week.
Instead of a recipe this week, here are five snack options moderate in calories (about 100 calories each), which might fill some nutrition gaps. However, choose one for a snack, not all five.
Half an apple (about 3/4 cup slices) with 2 teaspoons of peanut butter or sunflower seed butter
14 almonds or 20 pistachios
3 whole-grain crackers with one slice of low-fat cheese divided among the crackers
1 cup of raw carrots with 3 tablespoons of nonfat dressing (or 2 tablespoons hummus)
2 1/2 cups of diced watermelon
For more information, see the meal planning and snack ideas available at http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/food/food-preparation/now-serving. Try to choose healthful snacks that crowd out the less-healthful foods.
- 5 science-backed benefits of fasting, and how to fast safely and effectively - INSIDER - October 22nd, 2020
- Do you really lose weight by fat-free and sugar-free diets? Know the pros and cons of such eating patterns - Times Now - October 22nd, 2020
- DECODED: Why is it harder for short people to lose weight - Times of India - October 22nd, 2020
- Best weight loss diets: Experts weigh in on Whole30, Paleo, Keto and more - CNET - October 22nd, 2020
- Suniel Shetty reveals his formula of gaining and losing weight - GQ India - October 22nd, 2020
- Study says this is the #1 thing that causes you to gain weight - BGR - October 22nd, 2020
- Lose weight in your sleep with these bedtime drinks - TheHealthSite - October 22nd, 2020
- Woman missing for 2 weeks found safe in Zion National Park - Seymour Tribune - October 22nd, 2020
- Health and Wellness Predictions For 2021: Helen Lee Schifter - Taste Terminal - October 22nd, 2020
- Slimming World consultant inspired to lose weight after feeling like a failure to her class - Lincolnshire Live - October 21st, 2020
- #HealthBytes: Effective tips that can help you lose weight - NewsBytes - October 21st, 2020
- How does Slimming World work and how much is it to join? - The Irish Sun - October 21st, 2020
- 'Its literally the perfect knife': Dan Hong on the three most useful objects in his life - The Guardian - October 21st, 2020
- After losing 140 pounds, Saskatoon woman shocked to learn province won't cover skin-removal surgeries - CTV News Saskatoon - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss Tips: Nutritionist Tells What Actually Works For Losing Weight Effectively - NDTV - October 18th, 2020
- Using the Pandemic as an Opportunity to Lose Weight and Get in Shape - The New York Times - October 18th, 2020
- You Can Still Eat Dessert and Lose Weight Unless You're Making These 3 Mistakes - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 18th, 2020
- 7 tips from Mumbais best fitness trainers and nutritionists on how to lose weight - GQ India - October 18th, 2020
- KETO Diet: Is It Just Hype Or A New Way Of Life? - Greek City Times - October 18th, 2020
- Want to knock off 5kgs in a month? Try this - NewsBytes - October 18th, 2020
- This Guy Lost 270 Pounds and Got Jacked After a Seizure Gave Him a Serious Wake-up Call - menshealth.com - October 18th, 2020
- Is it safe to do intermittent fasting while breastfeeding? - TheHealthSite - October 18th, 2020
- Amy Duggar Claps Back at Troll Who Told Her to Have More Kids, Lose Weight - Us Weekly - October 18th, 2020
- How Often Should You Work Out? For Weight Loss and Muscle Gain - Greatist - October 18th, 2020
- The Arctic is on track to lose more ice this century than at any point since the end of the Ice Age. Photos show the dramatic melting. - Business... - October 18th, 2020
- Phillip Schofield's months of hell and secret torment - losing weight, vomiting and missing work - Mirror Online - October 18th, 2020
- This Clever Technique Will Help You Lose Weight and Stay Fit - Slate - October 13th, 2020
- Is The Keto Diet Good For PCOS? Benefits Of Low-Carb Diet For PCOS - Women's Health - October 13th, 2020
- Is keto a healthy way to lose weight? Everything to know about the divisive low-carb diet - The National - October 13th, 2020
- How to Lose Fat Without Losing Muscle, According to Experts - Greatist - October 13th, 2020
- On a weight loss diet? Here are two quick and healthy breakfast recipes to kickstart your metabolism - Times Now - October 13th, 2020
- 806 Health Tip: Consistency Is Key To Losing Weight - mix941kmxj.com - October 13th, 2020
- Be specific with your intentions - Stabroek News - October 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Signs your workout is actually making you gain more weight - Times of India - October 13th, 2020
- Kelly Osbourne shows off incredible 80-pound weight loss in skintight black jeans and low-cut top before - The Sun - October 13th, 2020
- AJ McLean's Body Transformation since Joining DWTS How Much Weight Has He Lost? - AmoMama - October 13th, 2020
- Scots mum claims she was fat-shamed by NHS weight loss leaflet just seven weeks after giving birth - Daily Record - October 13th, 2020
- Arthritis pain: Why weight loss helps; 3 ways to stay active and manage joint pain at home - Times Now - October 13th, 2020
- How to lose those last few kilos the healthy way - Who - October 13th, 2020
- Active-living passions draw family doctor... - Bothell-Kenmore Reporter - October 13th, 2020
- Burn belly fat and get in shape fast by adding these workouts to your routine - TheHealthSite - October 13th, 2020
- Oregon nose tackle Jordon Scott never wavered from 2020 vision of playing for Ducks - The Register-Guard - October 13th, 2020
- Piers Morgan bashes Meghan Markle over her belief of being the most trolled person - The News International - October 13th, 2020
- Gemma Collins looks slimmer than ever in pyjamas after 3st weight loss in Happy Monday snap - The Irish Sun - October 13th, 2020
- From keto to intermittent diets: All you need to know - The Indian Express - October 9th, 2020
- Weight loss: Could eating more be the key to losing more weight? Here's why - Times of India - October 9th, 2020
- 6 Things you need to do every day to lose the extra kilos - PINKVILLA - October 9th, 2020
- The #1 Best Thing to Drink If You're Trying to Lose Weight - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 9th, 2020
- Most Ridiculous Diets That People Actually Try and the Reality Behind Them - Flux Magazine - October 9th, 2020
- This Berlin-based startup will help you lose weight via healthy intermittent fasting; raises 4.2M - Silicon Canals - October 9th, 2020
- Why you may not be losing weight on the keto diet - Report Door - October 9th, 2020
- Fit and fabulous after 50 | Features | wfmz.com - 69News WFMZ-TV - October 9th, 2020
- Avoiding the temptation of unhealthy food Click Liverpool - Click Liverpool - October 9th, 2020
- How Cycling Helped This Man Recover From Open-Heart Surgery - Bicycling - October 9th, 2020
- What is keto diet, how does it impact your body? Is it risky? - The Indian Express - October 9th, 2020
- American lost 55 kilograms and shared her secret of losing weight - The Times Hub - October 9th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Burn Some Calories With This Advanced Cardio Workout That Can Pump You Up Instantly! - NDTV - October 9th, 2020
- Do chia seeds really help with weight loss? Health benefits, nutrition facts and ways to include them in diet - Times Now - October 9th, 2020
- Dietitian, breast cancer survivor focuses on ways to avoid recurrence - Huntington Herald Dispatch - October 9th, 2020
- Why you may not be losing weight on the keto diet - Business Insider India - October 4th, 2020
- Losing weight through dieting, exercising or combination methods - San Marcos Daily Record - October 4th, 2020
- College 101: 5 Health Reasons to Lose Weight - Daily Cardinal - October 4th, 2020
- Weight-loss tips from a woman who lost 122 pounds in her 40s - TODAY - October 4th, 2020
- HARRIET COLE: It's never too late to start losing weight - Goshen News - October 4th, 2020
- This Is The Worst Diet for Weight Loss, According to a Dietitian - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 4th, 2020
- A Nutrition Expert Just Said This Is More Important Than Losing Weight - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 4th, 2020
- Does Intuitive Eating Work? What Happened When I Tried Intuitive Eating - GoodHousekeeping.com - October 4th, 2020
- Weight Training Helped This Guy Lose 230 Pounds and Get Ripped in the Process - menshealth.com - October 4th, 2020
- What You Should Know About How PCOS and Weight Are Connected - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 4th, 2020
- All For Nothing? Top 4 Reasons Why You're Not Losing Any Weight - Be Global Fashion Network - October 4th, 2020
- The herbal supplement shown to boost sexual performance and encourage weight loss - Express - October 4th, 2020
- Foods that will help control appetite and reduce belly fat - The Indian Express - October 4th, 2020
- Where You Carry Body Fat May Affect How Long You Live - The New York Times - October 4th, 2020
- Study reveals enhancing blood sugar control boosts brain health for people with type 2 diabetes - Devdiscourse - October 4th, 2020
- This 80-Somethings Couple Share Their Secrets to Longevity - The Beet - October 4th, 2020
- Qualifier Trevisan's career takes off with stunning win - Yahoo Sports - October 4th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting doesn't help you lose weight, UCSF study suggests - CNBC - September 30th, 2020
- UK's Johnson says he is fit as a butcher's dog after losing weight - The Union Leader - September 30th, 2020
- Boris Johnson is 'fit as a butcher's dog' in need of walkies but heading in right direction - iNews - September 30th, 2020
- UK's Johnson says he is fit as a butcher's dog after losing weight - Reuters - September 29th, 2020