"In today's unpredictable world where COVID-19 is putting our lives on hold, the intense stress has caused a spike in weight gain and manifested our anxiety into physical pain" says Dr Ivan Puah, Medical Director Of Amaris B. Clinic, Singapore
TheCOVID-19 pandemic has disrupted the lives and livelihood of many people. It has caused insecurities, anxiety and a feeling of helplessness among those affected. All these and more increase stress levels and if not managed well can lead to a multitude of health conditions.DrIvan Puah, Medical Director at Amaris B. Clinic, understands the adverse effects of having poor mental health. Having been posted to the Institute of Mental Health Singapore (IMH) as part of his training, he has had the first-hand experience in dealing with patients affected by the condition. He was also a part of the team of doctors who were on the frontline during the battle against the SARS epidemic back in 2003. During that period, Dr Puah witnessed the impact on stress levels and mental well being brought on by the outbreak.
Stress In The Face of Adversities
During the period between January andApril 2020, and before the implementation of the Circuit Breaker measure, DrIvan Puahexperienced an increase in the number of patients with concerns about weight management and musculoskeletal pain seeking help at his clinic. During the consultation, they voiced their concerns about the currentCOVID-19 pandemic and how it is causing insecurities and undue stress.
Unlike the SARS outbreak of 2003, the currentCOVID-19 pandemic comes with measures that were not in place during the former. These include the work-from-home directive, temporary ceasing of non-essential businesses services, social distancing measures and others. Arguably, these can be overwhelming for anyone considering that humans are social creatures by nature.
Social media may present some respite in terms of connectivity, but the onslaught of negativity in the form of fake news and conspiracy theories surrounding the pandemic does nothing but adds on to anxiety and stress levels. Unable to differentiate between fact and fiction, our emotions get the better of us.
Stress and Wellbeing
Emotions, particularly in the face of adversities, can be challenging to manage. Anxiety, nervousness and even fear can get a tight grip on an individual, making it difficult for them to function even with the simplest of daily tasks. Emotional and stress eating is a real condition. This most always leads to weight gain, which in turn can lead to other even more severe health conditions. Stress can also be the cause for the onset of skin issues and even physical pain. For those already suffering from chronic pain, the latter can be debilitating.
Dr Puah, with his extensive experience, anticipates that when the Circuit Breaker measure eases, people will be seeking help to remedy their situation.
The Possible Future
Confidence is one of the key elements in overcoming current and in facing potential adversities in one's life. Dr Puah predicts that there will be a gradual rise in demand for health and wellness needs, including that of the appearance. After all,peopleshould always put our best foot and face forward.
The remedies will come in an array of forms. These include gym activities and other physical exercise routines, personal beauty treatments, including aesthetic treatments, weight loss and weight management programs. Body sculpting procedures may also be in the books as they not only sculpt the physique but eliminate stubborn fat effectively. These fats are accumulated over time and causes range from genetic to bad habits such as continuous stress eating.
As for pain, physical therapy will be sought. Myotherapy is a form of physical therapy that helps to relieve pain - ones brought on by stress and anxiety included. Myotherapy uses massage, trigger point therapy, stretching, corrective exercises, and assessment techniques to treat the pain effectively.
The uncertainties surroundingCOVID-19 may not dissipate overnight as viruses tend to mutate, making the discovery of vaccinations a challenge - but that is best left to the experts. For the rest, on the other hand, can dotheirpart and one way of doing so is to managethestress levels. Having elevated confidence can help to ease the effort.
"It is important to be aware that to be worried about something, you cannot control is redundant. Stress can change or ache a person. Seek help if you feel helpless." - Dr.Ivan Puah
View original post here:
Positive Correlation between Stress, Weight Gain And Physical Body Pain Observed - BSA bureau
- Tag: Covid 19 impact on Digestive Health Supplements market - Cole of Duty - June 7th, 2020
- 12 Weight Loss Tips, Diet Plans & Weight Management Programs - May 29th, 2020
- $722+ Billion Nutraceutical Market Size and Share Breakdown by Product and Region - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - May 20th, 2020
- inHealth Appoints New CEO and Expands Leadership Team as Demand for its Lifestyle Therapeutics Increase - Business Wire - May 17th, 2020
- Global Health and Weight Management Market (2018 to 2025) - Featuring Fitbit, Gold's Gym International & Jenny Craig Among Others - GlobeNewswire - April 18th, 2020
- Insights into the Worldwide Health and Weight Management Industry to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - April 16th, 2020
- Weight Management Market to Reach US$ 269.2 Billion by 2024, Driven by Rising Occurrence of Health-Related Issues - Skyline Gazette - March 25th, 2020
- Slimming Weight Management Market New Business Opportunities and Investment Research Report 2025 - periodical360 - March 21st, 2020
- Weight Management Market to Reach US$ 269.2 Billion by 2024, Driven by Rising Occurrence of Health-Related Issues - Feed Road - March 21st, 2020
- Weight Management Market to Reach US$ 269.2 Billion by 2024, Driven by Rising Occurrence of Health-Related Issues - 3rd Watch News - March 7th, 2020
- Women's Excellence Offers Comprehensive Wellness and Weight Management Programs to Help Women Achieve Their New Year's Resolutions - Yahoo Finance - January 31st, 2020
- Reducing Weight And Stigma Can Be Complementary Goals - PsychCentral.com - January 29th, 2020
- Center for Physical Activity and Weight Management - January 15th, 2020
- New Keto-friendly Program Enhances the Original South Beach Diet With the Latest Science - The Ritz Herald - January 2nd, 2020
- Singapore employers upping health benefits to stay ahead in talent race - Insurance Business ASIA - December 18th, 2019
- The global plant-based protein market is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 8% during the forecast period 2019-2025 - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2019
- Weight Management Market Potential Growth, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players- Research Forecasts to 2026 - Galus Australis - December 18th, 2019
- Medical News Today: How to prevent festive weight gain without exercising - Denton Daily - December 16th, 2019
- Weight Management Market Research Report, Market Share, Size, Trends, Forecast and Analysis of Key players 2024 - Space Market Research - December 3rd, 2019
- YMCA considering options other than Bates Mill No. 5 - Lewiston Sun Journal - November 23rd, 2019
- Medical News Today: How to prevent festive weight gain without exercising - Stock Daily Dish - November 22nd, 2019
- Medical Weight Management - Obesity Action Coalition - October 13th, 2019
- Nutrition and Weight Management - Hancock Wellness Center - May 3rd, 2019
- Weight Management Center | MUSC Health | Charleston, SC - March 8th, 2019
- Ascension Via Christi Weight Management in Wichita - February 10th, 2019
- Weight Management Programs - Childrens Hospital in CT - January 10th, 2019
- Weight Management Programs - Medical Practice Management Solution - November 28th, 2018
- Weight management programs - HAP Michigan - November 28th, 2018
- Medical Weight Management Doctors & Programs in NJ - September 25th, 2018
- Weight Management Programs | Sutter Health - July 20th, 2018
- Weight Management Programs in Rhode Island | Lifespan - April 21st, 2018
- Weight Management Programs | Weight Loss Counseling - December 14th, 2017
- Weight Management & Nutrition Programs | Minnesota ... - December 14th, 2017
- Herbal Weight Loss Products Market Estimated to Experience a Hike in Growth by 2025 - satPRnews (press release) - August 7th, 2017
- Weight Watchers | $WTW Stock | Shares Soar As Earnings Beat, Raise Guidance - TickerTV News (press release) - August 7th, 2017
- Screen Kids, Teens for Obesity, Experts Say - Newsmax.com - Newsmax - June 22nd, 2017
- Opinion: Expand Medicaid? In NORTH CAROLINA? - Charlotte magazine - April 18th, 2017
- Unclear whether mindful eating can help you lose weight, says review - Medical Xpress - April 16th, 2017
- What's New, And What's Not, In The Latest Medicaid Expansion Bill - WFAE - April 12th, 2017
- Workplace Wellness kick-off meeting planned - Crow River Media - April 10th, 2017
- Weight Loss Left to Your Own Devices: How Technology Can Help You Manage Your Weight - Charleston Post Courier - March 31st, 2017
- One Buc Mailbag: Nutrition, Numbers and 19 - Buccaneers.com - March 30th, 2017
- Benefits of fitness devices - Lake Country Now - March 4th, 2017
- Medical Weight Management Programs | Positive Choice - February 19th, 2017
- Before-N-After Murrieta - Weight Management Programs in ... - September 25th, 2015
- Ultimate Weight Management Programs - CRC Health - August 1st, 2015
- Weight Management Programs - July 2nd, 2015
- NYC Weight Loss Program Takes Insurance | Brooklyn Doctors ... - June 18th, 2015
- Best Weight Loss Workouts Reviews - Video - March 11th, 2015
- How To Burn Fat Review - Video - February 24th, 2015
- Best Exercises To Lose Weight Reviews - Video - February 14th, 2015
- Weight Loss Malaysia- Lose Weight Fast and Healthy - Video - February 3rd, 2015
- weight management programs Tips - Video - July 7th, 2014
- Group Fitness, Imperial PA - Video - June 3rd, 2013