Popular chemotherapy drug likely to be less effective in overweight, obese women  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
Brussels: Treatment with docetaxel, a common chemotherapy drug, might have lesser benefits for breast cancer patients who are overweight or obese, according to new research.
An international team of researchers based this conclusion on a retrospective analysis of data from a large clinical trial. Their study was published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.
In most European countries, more than 50 per cent of women are overweight or obese (with a body mass index (BMI) above 25 kg/m2, as defined by the WHO). In the United States, this is the case for over 63 per cent of women and this proportion is expected to further increase in the coming years.
It is not widely known, but obese women have a higher risk of getting breast cancer and obese breast cancer patients have a higher risk of relapsing. Moreover, while many cancer patients are overweight or obese, the efficacy of anticancer drugs according to their BMI is generally not known.
For the study, a team led by researchers from KU Leuven and the Institut Jules Bordet (Belgium), the University of Milan, and the National Cancer Institute (Italy) analysed data from a clinical trial with over 2800 breast cancer patients that started around the turn of the millennium.
Patient data were collected over the course of more than ten years. The patients in the trial were treated with a combination of chemotherapy drugs with or without docetaxel, one of the most widely used chemotherapy drugs in the world. The researchers then looked at how many patients relapsed and how many had passed away.
Their statistical analysis of the data shows that overweight and obese patients who received docetaxel as part of their treatment had poorer outcomes than lean patients (BMI between 18.5 and 25 kg/m2). This difference was not observed in patients who received the chemotherapy regimen that did not include docetaxel.
"Docetaxel is a lipophilic drug, suggesting that fat present in the body could absorb part of the drug before it can reach the tumour," explained Professor Christine Desmedt from the KU Leuven Laboratory for Translational Breast Cancer Research.
The results raise concerns about treating overweight and obese cancer patients with docetaxel.
"If follow-up research confirms that this finding is solely related to the pharmacological characteristics of docetaxel, this might also apply to patients with other cancer types that are treated with docetaxel, such as prostate or lung cancer. These results also make us wonder whether other chemotherapy drugs from the same family, like paclitaxel, will show the same effect," explained Professor Desmedt.
Professor Desmedt added, "more research is needed before changes in treatment can be implemented. Patients who have concerns about docetaxel can discuss these with their doctor. In general, the public needs to be better informed about the link between BMI and breast cancer."
"In the medical and research world, we need to pay more attention to how obesity affects the biology, progression, and treatment efficacy of breast cancer. Much work remains to be done in this field," said Professor Biganzoli of the Unit of Medical Statistics and the Data Science Research Center, the University of Milan and the Italian National Cancer Institute.
Continue reading here:
Popular chemotherapy drug likely to be less effective in overweight, obese women - Times Now
- Food insecurity in the US increasingly linked to obesity - Medical News Today - September 28th, 2020
- U.S. Adult Obesity Rate Hits Highest Rate Ever Recorded - Club Industry - September 28th, 2020
- Mission: Readiness ties obesity to national security - News - Times Record - September 28th, 2020
- The Intersection Of Obesity, COVID-19, Social Justice And Mental Health - Club Industry - September 28th, 2020
- Experience of Polish Patients with Obesity in Contacts with Medical Pr | PPA - Dove Medical Press - September 28th, 2020
- Cleveland Clinic Study Identifies Weight-Loss Threshold for Cardiovascular and Survival Benefits in Patients with Obesity and Diabetes - Health... - September 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus pandemic could impact cancer rates and care in the future - WKTV - September 28th, 2020
- An obese heart is a silent risk - The Hippocratic Post - September 28th, 2020
- Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Heart Failure: Is There a Connection? - Michigan Medicine - September 28th, 2020
- Should India adopt NOVA classification of food? - The Sunday Guardian - September 28th, 2020
- Obesity and the Bitter Pill of Truth - Medscape - September 23rd, 2020
- Obesity and COVID-19: A renewed call to address a growing crisis - World Bank Group - September 23rd, 2020
- Negative pressure wound therapy does not cut infection risk in obese women after cesarean delivery - National Institutes of Health - September 23rd, 2020
- Obesity linked to hospitalisation and ICUs for Covid-19 patients - The Irish Times - September 23rd, 2020
- New Research Shows Potential Utility of Growth Standards to Monitor Healthy Weight in Puppies and May Help Identify Puppies at Risk for Obesity -... - September 23rd, 2020
- SCOTUS, Sallys economic effects and obesity - AL.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Obesity can cause and be consequence of poor sleep - Westside Eagle Observer - September 23rd, 2020
- Health Education Week 2020: Opportunities and Advancements in Obesity Medicine - Medical Economics - September 23rd, 2020
- COVID-19 Recovery Analysis: Assisted Reproductive Technology Market | Increase in Rate of Infertility and Obesity-Related Cases to Boost the Market... - September 23rd, 2020
- Stephanie Yeboah: 'Obesity is a disgusting word... it's just used to scare people' - Telegraph.co.uk - September 23rd, 2020
- Diabetes, Obesity and other five risk factors that can lead to heart failure - India TV News - September 23rd, 2020
- Research finds out a new phenomenon of obesity with the multiple burden of malnutrition in India - Eastern Eye - September 23rd, 2020
- WHO launches guide to boost children's health and well-being in Russian-speaking countries - Russian Federation - ReliefWeb - September 23rd, 2020
- For teens with severe obesity, bariatric surgery works, but is rarely used. Experts say that needs to change - The Detroit News - September 20th, 2020
- Obesity associated with a higher risk for dementia, new study finds - National Institute on Aging - September 20th, 2020
- Your Health First: Top underlying health conditions in North Dakota? Obesity and Type 2 diabetes - KX NEWS - September 20th, 2020
- US adult obesity at highest level ever recorded; Arkansas and Oklahoma rank in top five - 5newsonline.com - September 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus science | Week in review: 'Long Covid', obesity, and will the virus become seasonal? - Health24 - September 20th, 2020
- Mediterranean diet helps offset the health impacts of obesity - Earth.com - September 20th, 2020
- Obese people 70% more at risk of severe COVID-19: Assocham - The Indian Express - September 20th, 2020
- Could interaction between Covid-19 and pre-existing bacteria explain severity in the obese? - Health24 - September 20th, 2020
- Despicable to blame Government for Covid-19 death rate given obesity, says Tory peer - Evening Standard - September 20th, 2020
- If a heavyweight is morbidly obese why is he also fit to box? - Boxing News Online - September 20th, 2020
- Cancer Is on the Rise Among Young People - Discover Magazine - September 20th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Sept. 20 - Canon City Daily Record - September 20th, 2020
- Good nutrition can contribute to keeping COVID-19 and other diseases away - Kiowa County Press - September 20th, 2020
- Why COVID-19 is more deadly in people with obesityeven if they're young - Science Magazine - September 8th, 2020
- Higher obesity rates appear to contribute to higher bankruptcy rates in the United States - PsyPost - September 8th, 2020
- Worldwide Non-Invasive Fat Reduction Industry to 2025 - Increasing Prevalence of Obesity Presents Opportunities - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - September 8th, 2020
- New evidence testosterone therapy is effective obesity treatment in men - New Atlas - September 8th, 2020
- Obesity is tied to greater risk of complications from COVID-19 - WWLTV.com - September 8th, 2020
- Pregnancy, Obesity and Nutrition Initiative (PONI): FIGO releases new Supplement - International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics - September 7th, 2020
- High Pleural Pressure Prevents Alveolar Overdistension and Hemodynamic Collapse in ARDS with Class III Obesity. - Physician's Weekly - September 7th, 2020
- Global Intragastric Balloon Market (2019 to 2028) - Rise in Government Initiatives Regarding Obesity Presents Opportunities - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - September 7th, 2020
- Drugs That Fight Diabetes and Obesity May Treat Covid-19 - Bloomberg - September 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Patients With Obesity Have Higher Viral Load, for Longer - Medscape - September 6th, 2020
- Even half a glass of alcohol increases risk of obesity, study shows - Study Finds - September 6th, 2020
- America's Obesity Epidemic Threatens Effectiveness of Any COVID Vaccine - POZ - September 6th, 2020
- 'Fat-Shaming' Drops in US but UK Public Still Apportion Blame - Medscape - September 6th, 2020
- Calls for tougher regulation to fight obesity - Newsroom - September 6th, 2020
- Consumption of alcohol even in small amounts can result in obesity and metabolic syndrome, suggests study - Firstpost - September 6th, 2020
- World's richest countries grappling with children's reading and math skills, mental well-being and obesity - UNICEF - September 6th, 2020
- Definition of Chronic disease - MedicineNet - August 31st, 2020
- America's Move to Raise A Healthier Generation of Kids ... - August 31st, 2020
- Controlled obesity status: a rarely used concept, but with particular importance in the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond - DocWire News - August 31st, 2020
- Groningen University Hospital to investigate role of obesity in patients with COVID-19 - Innovation Origins - August 31st, 2020
- Obesity and COVID-19: How weight tips the scales to severe COVID-19 illness - The Stanford Daily - August 31st, 2020
- Study finds obese people at higher risk of COVID-19 complications - Times of India - August 31st, 2020
- Childhood obesity could increase the risk of multiple sclerosis in later life - The Conversation UK - August 31st, 2020
- Peter Rhodes on an Indian romance, the risks of obesity and standing up for nice things - expressandstar.com - August 31st, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market: Investments by key players is driving the global market - BioSpace - August 31st, 2020
- Why your doctor will not talk to you about obesity - The Standard - August 31st, 2020
- EDITORIAL: We haven't tackled obesity - and now it's proving our downfall - Bahamas Tribune - August 31st, 2020
- Taxes on non-essential foods wont prevent obesity but they will hurt poorer people - RT - August 31st, 2020
- Losing Weight Can Help You Avoid This Type of Cancer, Study Finds - MSN Money - August 31st, 2020
- Kids in these Gloucester areas are among the most likely in the UK to be obese - Gloucestershire Live - August 31st, 2020
- MIT Develops Synthetic Coating for the Gut That Could Block Glucose Absorption to Treat Diabetes & Obesity - SciTechDaily - August 31st, 2020
- How does the immune response affect inflammation in COVID-19 patients? - World Economic Forum - August 31st, 2020
- Individuals with obesity and COVID19: A global perspective on the epidemiology and biological relationships - Wiley - August 28th, 2020
- COVID-19: Science stories of the week, from reinfection to obesity - World Economic Forum - August 28th, 2020
- Weight loss in young adults with obesity may halve mortality risk - Medical News Today - August 28th, 2020
- Professor/Associate Professor in Medicine Obesity and Metabolism job with NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU | 223116 - Times... - August 28th, 2020
- Bariatric Surgery Reduces or Eliminates Need for Blood Pressure Medication in Patients With Obesity in New 3-Year Randomized Clinical Trial -... - August 28th, 2020
- Not All Vegetarian Diets Are Healthy for Those With Obesity - Science Times - August 28th, 2020
- Covid-19 impact on Weight Loss and Obesity Market New Trends, Growth, Outlook, Overview, Application and Forecast 2020 to 2025: Ajinomoto Co. Inc.,... - August 28th, 2020
- Global Market Study on Ineffective Esophageal Motility Treatment: Increasing Prevalence of GERD and Obesity to Propel Market Growth - GlobeNewswire - August 28th, 2020
- Ireland has ideal combination of leaders to tackle obesity crisis health expert - The Irish Times - August 28th, 2020
- Morbid Obesity Increases Risk of COVID-19 and Future Emerging Infectious Diseases - MedicalResearch.com - August 28th, 2020
- Obesity is the new malnutrition, parents warned ahead of UAE schools' reopening - Gulf News - August 28th, 2020
- Covid-19 impact on those who are obese should encourage better eating expert - The Irish Times - August 28th, 2020