ATLANTA (CNN) Not sleeping enough or getting a bad night's sleep over and over makes it hard to control your appetite. And that sets you up for all sorts of health problems, including obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure and Type 2 diabetes.
The link between poor sleep and a greater body mass index (BMI) has been shown in study after study, but researchers typically relied on the memories of the participants to record how well they slept.
Sleep apps on fitness trackers, smartphones and watches have changed all that. In a new study, published Monday in JAMA Internal Medicine, researchers tracked sleep quality for 120,000 people for up to two years.
The results showed sleep durations and patterns are highly variable between people. Despite that, the study found people with BMIs of 30 or above which is considered obese by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had slightly shorter mean sleep durations and more variable sleep patterns.
It didn't take much less sleep to see the effect. People with BMIs over 30 only slept about 15 minutes less than their less weighty counterparts.
There were some limitations to the study. Naps were excluded, other health conditions could not be factored in, and people who use wearable tracking devices are typically younger, healthier and from a higher socioeconomic status than those who do not wear trackers.
"These are quite pricey devices, and remember, they are not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration," said sleep specialist Dr. Raj Dasgupta, the associate program director of the Sleep Medicine Fellowship at Keck Medicine of the University of Southern California.
"The results would need to be validated by the appropriate FDA-approved devices, and because the study is likely on younger people who are more economically well off, does that really apply to older folks we worry about with poor sleep?" said Dasgupta, who was not involved in the study.
However, Dasgupta added, a major plus for the study is that it did monitor people for over two years, and the results corroborated prior research and were "not surprising."
"While we cannot determine the direction of association from our study result, these findings provide further support to the notion that sleep patterns are associated with weight management and overall health," the authors wrote.
"The findings also support the potential value of including both sleep duration and individual sleep patterns when studying sleep-related health outcomes."
There is a scientific reason why a lack of sleep is linked to appetite. When you're sleep deprived, research has shown, levels of a hormone called ghrelin spike while another hormone, leptin, takes a nosedive. The result is an increase in hunger.
"The 'l' in leptin stands for lose: It suppresses appetite and therefore contributes to weight loss," he said. "The 'g' in ghrelin stands for gain: This fast-acting hormone increases hunger and leads to weight gain," Dasgupta said.
When you're sleep deprived, you're not like, 'Oh, you know what, I want some carrots.'Erin Hanlon, neuroscientist, University of Chicago
Another reason we gain weight is due to an ancient body system called the endocannabinoid system. Endocannabinoids bind to the same receptors as the active ingredient in marijuana, which as we know, often triggers the "munchies."
"When you're sleep deprived, you're not like, 'Oh, you know what, I want some carrots,'" said behavioral neuroscientist Erin Hanlon, who studies the connection between brain systems and behavior at the University of Chicago, in a prior CNN interview.
"You're craving sweets and salty and starchy things," she added. "You want those chips, you want a cookie, you want some candy, you know?"
A 2016 study by Hanlon compared the circulating levels of 2-AG, one of the most abundant endocannabinoids, in people who got four nights of normal sleep (more than eight hours) to people who only got 4.5 hours.
People who were sleepdeprived reported greater increases in hunger and appetite and had higher afternoon concentrations of 2-AG than those who slept well. The sleep-deprived participants also had a rough time controlling their urges for high-carb, high-calorie snacks.
Want more control over your appetite? Depending on your age, you are supposed to get between seven and 10 hours of sleep each night.
Getting less has been linked in studies to high blood pressure, a weakened immune system, weight gain, a lack of libido, mood swings, paranoia, depression and a higher risk of diabetes, stroke, cardiovascular disease, dementia and some cancers.
So sleep a full seven to 10 hours a night, stick to a regular bedtime and get up the same time every day, even on weekends, experts advise.
Adding exercise to your daily routine is a great way to improve your sleep and improve your health. After finishing one 30-minute physical activity, you'll have less anxiety, lower blood pressure, more sensitivity to insulin and you'll sleep better that night.
You can also train your brain to get more restful sleep with a few key steps:
The-CNN-Wire & 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
- Immunity-Boosting Breakfast Ideas You Must Try To Stay Healthy - NDTV - September 25th, 2020
- Consuming Much less Has Constructive Results on Your Metabolism - Editorials 360 - September 25th, 2020
- A balanced diet on the go - Stuff.co.nz - September 25th, 2020
- The #1 Worst Carb to Eat if You're Trying to Lose Weight - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 18th, 2020
- This Black Pepper And Clove Detox Water May Aid Weight Loss And Digestion - NDTV Food - September 18th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Diet Management Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 - 2025) - The Research Process - September 18th, 2020
- Worried About Weight Gain During COVID-19? You're Not Alone - Healthline - September 18th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market Growth, Segments, Revenue, Manufacturers & Forecast Research Report - The Daily... - September 18th, 2020
- Suraksha And Their Keto Veyda Product Line Will Be Showing At October's ECRM Conference - PRNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Market -Vertical Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) By Diet, Application, and Region. - Kewaskum Statesman News... - September 18th, 2020
- ByDzyne offers THE POWER OF CHOICE - GlobeNewswire - September 18th, 2020
- Take Control and Manage Your Health: Guide for Men - The Good Men Project - September 18th, 2020
- Poor sleep linked to weight gain in 2-year smartphone sleep tracking study - The Philadelphia Tribune - September 18th, 2020
- Health benefits of rice bran oil - weight loss, better blood sugar control and heart health - Times Now - September 18th, 2020
- Weight Management Industry Analysis, Trends, Outlook, and COVID 19 Opportunity Analysis Up to 2026- Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness,... - September 18th, 2020
- I'm a Dermatologist, and Here's Everything You Need to Know About Hair Thinning - Yahoo! Voices - September 18th, 2020
- Body Shape Management Market Projected to Show Strong Growth by 2025 with Key Companies like Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness,... - September 18th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market to Witness Excellent Growth and Strong Revenue to 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 16th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Diet Management Market Growth Is Skyrocketing Beyond Prediction - News by aeresearch - September 16th, 2020
- Global Weight Management Market Size, Share, Trends, Latest Innovations, Drivers, Dynamics And Strategic Analysis, Challenges 2020 By 2025 - The... - September 16th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Product Market 2019 | Analyzing The Impact Followed By Restraints, Opportunities And Projected Developments |... - September 16th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Management Product Market Investment Analysis | Atkins Nutritionals, Nutrisystem, Herbalife International of America - Scientect - September 16th, 2020
- 7 Easy ways to start eating healthy without cutting out your favourite food items - PINKVILLA - September 16th, 2020
- 5 Food Hacks to Manage Weight and Boost Immunity - NDTV Food - September 16th, 2020
- Novo adds weight to its obesity goals - Vantage - September 16th, 2020
- 5 Ways Your Workout Should Change If You're Watching Your Carbs - Women's Health - September 16th, 2020
- SHE ROCKS, TAKE 2: 'She Rocks the Vote' will launch as a virtual event ILM's Alternative Weekly Voice - encore Online - September 16th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market From Key End-Use Sectors To Surge In The Near Future - Scientect - September 16th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Drink This Tomato Cucumber Juice To Boost Weight Loss And Immunity - NDTV Food - September 8th, 2020
- Low-Carb diet vs. Low-Fat diet: Which is best for weight loss? - Times of India - September 8th, 2020
- If You've Got $3,000 to Invest, These 3 Top Stocks Just Grew Revenue by More Than 100% - Motley Fool - September 6th, 2020
- Prevent Hair Loss With These Superfoods In Your Diet - Longevity LIVE - September 6th, 2020
- Here are the Best Places to Work in Omaha, rated by the people who work there - Omaha World-Herald - September 6th, 2020
- In Depth Analysis and Survey of COVID-19 Pandemic Impact on Global Weight Loss and Weight Management Product Market Report 2020 Key Players Atkins... - September 6th, 2020
- NextFifty Initiative Encourages Healthier Living Year Over Year - The Know - September 6th, 2020
- Weight Loss Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And Forecast To 2026 | Research... - September 6th, 2020
- Current Studies of Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market in Demand To Witness a Significant Expansion Post Covid-19 by... - September 6th, 2020
- Meticore Reviews Everything You Need To Know - Spark Health MD - September 6th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market Exhibits Stunning Growth Potentials | Generate Massive Revenue till 2026 -... - September 6th, 2020
- Barley Tea: Nutrition, Benefits, and Side Effects - Healthline - September 6th, 2020
- Global Weight Management Market is anticipated to grow at a strong CAGR by 2026 - AlgosOnline - September 5th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Set to Take Off by 2026 To Gather Huge Revenues - Scientect - September 5th, 2020
- Why Stress Management May Be More Important Than Weight Loss During the Pandemic - AskMen - September 5th, 2020
- Plenity Efficacy and Safety Data to be Presented at the European and International Congress on Obesity 2020 - Business Wire - September 5th, 2020
- People with obesity in the UK wait much longer before discussing weight with a healthcare provider - Science Codex - September 5th, 2020
- Improve diabetes prevention and care through obesity treatment - Medical Economics - September 5th, 2020
- CBD oil and weight loss - A new life hack revealed? [VIDEO] - Plants Before Pills - September 5th, 2020
- Weight Bias in Healthcare: Can It Be Prevented? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - September 5th, 2020
- Natural Supplements and Therapies for Osteoarthritis - iDigitalTrends - September 5th, 2020
- Growth Is a Rare Commodity in Retail. Costco and Target Are Cashing In. - Barron's - September 5th, 2020
- Global Nutrition And Weight Management Products Market- Manufacturers, Recent Developments, Competitive Analysis and Development Forecasts to 2026 -... - September 5th, 2020
- Top 10 Best Weighted Hula Hoops 2020 - Best gaming pro - September 5th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market To Witness Relatively Significant Growth During Forecast 2019 2026 - The News Brok - September 5th, 2020
- Weight Loss Ingredients Market Analysis By Industry Size, Share, Revenue Growth, Development And Demand Forecast To 202 - Scientect - September 5th, 2020
- PCOS Affects as Many as 5 Million Women - Here's How to Know If You're One of Them - MSN Money - September 5th, 2020
- Global Impact of Covid-19 on Weight Management Market to Record Significant Revenue Growth During the Forecast Period 20202025 - Scientect - August 25th, 2020
- Weight Loss Intervention Reduces the Risk of Obesity-Related Cancer - DocWire News - August 25th, 2020
- What's Magical About the Surgical Management of Obesity? - American Council on Science and Health - August 25th, 2020
- Do informed consent forms impact whether parents allow kids to participate in research? - Contemporary Pediatrics - August 25th, 2020
- Global Weight Management Foods Market 2020: Expected Development, Share, Demand And Study Of Key Players- Research Predictions 2025 - Galus Australis - August 25th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market: Industry Trends and Developments 2018 to 2027 - StartupNG - August 25th, 2020
- What Is The Volumetrics Diet? Does It Work For Weight Loss? - Yahoo India News - August 25th, 2020
- The Impact of the Coronavirus on the Weight Management Packaged Food Market, Fact.MR Study 2028 - The Cloud Tribune - August 25th, 2020
- Reversing Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease with Food | University of Michigan - Michigan Medicine - August 25th, 2020
- Global Functional Foods and Drinks Market Trajectory & Analytics 2020: From Food Security to Health Security, the Pandemic Sends Functional Foods... - August 24th, 2020
- The 5 best foods to help you sleep AND lose weight at the same time - The Sun - August 24th, 2020
- 'I used to be overweight and overworked and then I turned my life around' - Telegraph.co.uk - August 24th, 2020
- Human Immunoglobulin (Ph4) For Intravenous Injection Industry Market Comprehensive Study with Key Trends, Major Drivers and Challenges 2020-2026 -... - August 24th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Growth to be Fuelled by 2019-2025 - The News Brok - August 22nd, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market Size: A Guide to Competitive Landscape and Key Players Analysis 2018 to 2027 - The News Brok - August 22nd, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 | Global Size, Growth, Value, Future Trends, Competitive Landscape, Industry Highlights And Forecasts to... - August 22nd, 2020
- What Is Magical About The Surgical Management of Obesity? - American Council on Science and Health - August 22nd, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market 2020 Industry Size Analyzed by Business Opportunity, Growth Factors, Trends,... - August 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss story: I lost 51 kilos by having ghar ka khana and NO rigorous workout! - Times of India - August 22nd, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Trends, Key Players, Overview, Competitive Breakdown and Regional Forecast by 2025 - StartupNG - August 22nd, 2020
- Weight management: The Hollywood-approved superfood that could help you drop weight - Entertainment Overdose - August 22nd, 2020
- Noom vs. Mediterranean Diet: What's the Difference? - WTOP - August 22nd, 2020
- MIND & BODY: Tips to help children maintain a healthy weight - Winchester Sun - Winchester Sun - August 22nd, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Product Market Research Report Projection By Technology, Type, Sale, Revenue, Demand Report 2020-2026 - Galus... - August 22nd, 2020
- Highlights: 2020 Cardiometabolic Health Congress West Live Online - GlobeNewswire - August 22nd, 2020