LONDON (AP) A plan by British Prime Minister Boris Johnson to get more Britons cycling has got off to a rocky start, with a website offering bicycle repair vouchers crashing at launch.
The fix your bike vouchers worth up to 50 pounds ($65) are offered as part of the governments 2-billion-pound plan to boost active travel. Johnson is simultaneously leading a crackdown on obesity, after a report published last week by Public Health England found that being overweight or obese can dramatically increase the risk of hospitalization and death from the coronavirus.
Johnson himself - who was hospitalized in intensive care with COVID-19 in April - admitted Monday that he was too fat and has long struggled with his own weight. In a video released to launch the governments anti-obesity strategy, Johnson said he had lost at least 14 pounds after recovering from coronavirus, and urged Britons to follow his lead.
The government launched its offer of bike repair vouchers Wednesday, but a Transport Department statement said the website had been taken offline following high levels of interest.
Officials said the vouchers are being released gradually to ensure cycle repair shops can cope with the demand.
Government figures show there has been a surge in cycling following the coronavirus outbreak, with bike usage on roads in July nearly doubling that in March. Officials want to do more: family doctors in some areas are being encouraged to prescribe bike rides, with patients given access to bikes.
Britain is among countries with the highest obesity rate in Europe, and researchers leading a large-scale coronavirus symptom study said Tuesday that lockdown conditions have worsened the countrys obesity problem.
Data released Tuesday by the team behind the Covid Symptom Study app, downloaded and used by 4 million people, showed that almost a third of those who responded to a survey - about 450,000 people - reported they had put on weight during lockdown.
Many are snacking more, moving less and eating less healthily, and some are consuming more alcohol, researchers said.
Officials this week announced they plan to help reduce obesity levels by prohibiting buy one get one free promotions on crisps and chocolate, and banning junk food ads on television before 9 p.m.
Officials hope the measures will help lessen the impact of coronavirus in the U.K., which, at nearly 46,000, has the highest official coronavirus death toll in Europe.
- Food insecurity in the US increasingly linked to obesity - Medical News Today - September 28th, 2020
- U.S. Adult Obesity Rate Hits Highest Rate Ever Recorded - Club Industry - September 28th, 2020
- Mission: Readiness ties obesity to national security - News - Times Record - September 28th, 2020
- The Intersection Of Obesity, COVID-19, Social Justice And Mental Health - Club Industry - September 28th, 2020
- Experience of Polish Patients with Obesity in Contacts with Medical Pr | PPA - Dove Medical Press - September 28th, 2020
- Cleveland Clinic Study Identifies Weight-Loss Threshold for Cardiovascular and Survival Benefits in Patients with Obesity and Diabetes - Health... - September 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus pandemic could impact cancer rates and care in the future - WKTV - September 28th, 2020
- An obese heart is a silent risk - The Hippocratic Post - September 28th, 2020
- Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Heart Failure: Is There a Connection? - Michigan Medicine - September 28th, 2020
- Should India adopt NOVA classification of food? - The Sunday Guardian - September 28th, 2020
- Obesity and the Bitter Pill of Truth - Medscape - September 23rd, 2020
- Obesity and COVID-19: A renewed call to address a growing crisis - World Bank Group - September 23rd, 2020
- Negative pressure wound therapy does not cut infection risk in obese women after cesarean delivery - National Institutes of Health - September 23rd, 2020
- Obesity linked to hospitalisation and ICUs for Covid-19 patients - The Irish Times - September 23rd, 2020
- New Research Shows Potential Utility of Growth Standards to Monitor Healthy Weight in Puppies and May Help Identify Puppies at Risk for Obesity -... - September 23rd, 2020
- SCOTUS, Sallys economic effects and obesity - AL.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Obesity can cause and be consequence of poor sleep - Westside Eagle Observer - September 23rd, 2020
- Health Education Week 2020: Opportunities and Advancements in Obesity Medicine - Medical Economics - September 23rd, 2020
- COVID-19 Recovery Analysis: Assisted Reproductive Technology Market | Increase in Rate of Infertility and Obesity-Related Cases to Boost the Market... - September 23rd, 2020
- Stephanie Yeboah: 'Obesity is a disgusting word... it's just used to scare people' - Telegraph.co.uk - September 23rd, 2020
- Diabetes, Obesity and other five risk factors that can lead to heart failure - India TV News - September 23rd, 2020
- Research finds out a new phenomenon of obesity with the multiple burden of malnutrition in India - Eastern Eye - September 23rd, 2020
- WHO launches guide to boost children's health and well-being in Russian-speaking countries - Russian Federation - ReliefWeb - September 23rd, 2020
- For teens with severe obesity, bariatric surgery works, but is rarely used. Experts say that needs to change - The Detroit News - September 20th, 2020
- Obesity associated with a higher risk for dementia, new study finds - National Institute on Aging - September 20th, 2020
- Your Health First: Top underlying health conditions in North Dakota? Obesity and Type 2 diabetes - KX NEWS - September 20th, 2020
- US adult obesity at highest level ever recorded; Arkansas and Oklahoma rank in top five - 5newsonline.com - September 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus science | Week in review: 'Long Covid', obesity, and will the virus become seasonal? - Health24 - September 20th, 2020
- Mediterranean diet helps offset the health impacts of obesity - Earth.com - September 20th, 2020
- Obese people 70% more at risk of severe COVID-19: Assocham - The Indian Express - September 20th, 2020
- Could interaction between Covid-19 and pre-existing bacteria explain severity in the obese? - Health24 - September 20th, 2020
- Despicable to blame Government for Covid-19 death rate given obesity, says Tory peer - Evening Standard - September 20th, 2020
- If a heavyweight is morbidly obese why is he also fit to box? - Boxing News Online - September 20th, 2020
- Cancer Is on the Rise Among Young People - Discover Magazine - September 20th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Sept. 20 - Canon City Daily Record - September 20th, 2020
- Good nutrition can contribute to keeping COVID-19 and other diseases away - Kiowa County Press - September 20th, 2020
- Why COVID-19 is more deadly in people with obesityeven if they're young - Science Magazine - September 8th, 2020
- Higher obesity rates appear to contribute to higher bankruptcy rates in the United States - PsyPost - September 8th, 2020
- Worldwide Non-Invasive Fat Reduction Industry to 2025 - Increasing Prevalence of Obesity Presents Opportunities - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - September 8th, 2020
- New evidence testosterone therapy is effective obesity treatment in men - New Atlas - September 8th, 2020
- Obesity is tied to greater risk of complications from COVID-19 - WWLTV.com - September 8th, 2020
- Pregnancy, Obesity and Nutrition Initiative (PONI): FIGO releases new Supplement - International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics - September 7th, 2020
- High Pleural Pressure Prevents Alveolar Overdistension and Hemodynamic Collapse in ARDS with Class III Obesity. - Physician's Weekly - September 7th, 2020
- Global Intragastric Balloon Market (2019 to 2028) - Rise in Government Initiatives Regarding Obesity Presents Opportunities - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - September 7th, 2020
- Drugs That Fight Diabetes and Obesity May Treat Covid-19 - Bloomberg - September 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Patients With Obesity Have Higher Viral Load, for Longer - Medscape - September 6th, 2020
- Even half a glass of alcohol increases risk of obesity, study shows - Study Finds - September 6th, 2020
- America's Obesity Epidemic Threatens Effectiveness of Any COVID Vaccine - POZ - September 6th, 2020
- 'Fat-Shaming' Drops in US but UK Public Still Apportion Blame - Medscape - September 6th, 2020
- Calls for tougher regulation to fight obesity - Newsroom - September 6th, 2020
- Consumption of alcohol even in small amounts can result in obesity and metabolic syndrome, suggests study - Firstpost - September 6th, 2020
- World's richest countries grappling with children's reading and math skills, mental well-being and obesity - UNICEF - September 6th, 2020
- Definition of Chronic disease - MedicineNet - August 31st, 2020
- America's Move to Raise A Healthier Generation of Kids ... - August 31st, 2020
- Controlled obesity status: a rarely used concept, but with particular importance in the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond - DocWire News - August 31st, 2020
- Groningen University Hospital to investigate role of obesity in patients with COVID-19 - Innovation Origins - August 31st, 2020
- Obesity and COVID-19: How weight tips the scales to severe COVID-19 illness - The Stanford Daily - August 31st, 2020
- Study finds obese people at higher risk of COVID-19 complications - Times of India - August 31st, 2020
- Childhood obesity could increase the risk of multiple sclerosis in later life - The Conversation UK - August 31st, 2020
- Peter Rhodes on an Indian romance, the risks of obesity and standing up for nice things - expressandstar.com - August 31st, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market: Investments by key players is driving the global market - BioSpace - August 31st, 2020
- Why your doctor will not talk to you about obesity - The Standard - August 31st, 2020
- EDITORIAL: We haven't tackled obesity - and now it's proving our downfall - Bahamas Tribune - August 31st, 2020
- Taxes on non-essential foods wont prevent obesity but they will hurt poorer people - RT - August 31st, 2020
- Losing Weight Can Help You Avoid This Type of Cancer, Study Finds - MSN Money - August 31st, 2020
- Kids in these Gloucester areas are among the most likely in the UK to be obese - Gloucestershire Live - August 31st, 2020
- MIT Develops Synthetic Coating for the Gut That Could Block Glucose Absorption to Treat Diabetes & Obesity - SciTechDaily - August 31st, 2020
- How does the immune response affect inflammation in COVID-19 patients? - World Economic Forum - August 31st, 2020
- Individuals with obesity and COVID19: A global perspective on the epidemiology and biological relationships - Wiley - August 28th, 2020
- COVID-19: Science stories of the week, from reinfection to obesity - World Economic Forum - August 28th, 2020
- Weight loss in young adults with obesity may halve mortality risk - Medical News Today - August 28th, 2020
- Professor/Associate Professor in Medicine Obesity and Metabolism job with NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU | 223116 - Times... - August 28th, 2020
- Bariatric Surgery Reduces or Eliminates Need for Blood Pressure Medication in Patients With Obesity in New 3-Year Randomized Clinical Trial -... - August 28th, 2020
- Not All Vegetarian Diets Are Healthy for Those With Obesity - Science Times - August 28th, 2020
- Covid-19 impact on Weight Loss and Obesity Market New Trends, Growth, Outlook, Overview, Application and Forecast 2020 to 2025: Ajinomoto Co. Inc.,... - August 28th, 2020
- Global Market Study on Ineffective Esophageal Motility Treatment: Increasing Prevalence of GERD and Obesity to Propel Market Growth - GlobeNewswire - August 28th, 2020
- Ireland has ideal combination of leaders to tackle obesity crisis health expert - The Irish Times - August 28th, 2020
- Morbid Obesity Increases Risk of COVID-19 and Future Emerging Infectious Diseases - MedicalResearch.com - August 28th, 2020
- Obesity is the new malnutrition, parents warned ahead of UAE schools' reopening - Gulf News - August 28th, 2020
- Covid-19 impact on those who are obese should encourage better eating expert - The Irish Times - August 28th, 2020