Pets have a tendency to eat all sorts of strange things. And vet charity PDSA has seen it all from dogs that have eaten socks and slippers, toys and even dentures to cats whove swallowed a needle and thread or eaten a metal clasp and plastic packaging. Pets get themselves into all sorts of trouble eating things they shouldnt. But why do they do this?
PDSA Vet Lynne James said: Its very common for pets to eat things they shouldnt. Chewing is a natural behaviour for dogs, while cats can get carried away when playing. As owners we need to make sure the toys and chews they have access to are undamaged, cant be swallowed and dont pose a danger if eaten.
Lynne continues: Our pets are intelligent and they like to fill their quiet time by playing with toys. If theyre not given pet-safe toys, theyll find something else in the home to play with instead, but this can cause problems as it leaves them vulnerable to swallowing something accidentally, potentially causing a blockage or even choking.
Another way that our pets, especially dogs, may eat things they shouldnt is down to their tendency to explore with their mouths; they may accidentally swallow the things they pick up due to curiosity.
The persistent eating of items which arent food is called pica; it is thought that stress, anxiety or changes to the pets environment can set it off, as well as being a habit that develops from boredom or lack of appropriate toys to chew.
However, in some cases it can be linked to an underlying medical condition or some important nutrient lacking from their diet.
Pet owners can help reduce the chances of their pet eating something they shouldnt by:
Training. Train your dog to understand simple commands like leave and drop. That way you can stop them from eating something that might be dangerous, even if you are some distance away.
Keep items out of reach. Risky items should be kept safely out of reach you might even need to keep them in a locked cupboard.
Stimulation. Keep your pets entertained with healthy treats, toys, entertaining games and, for cats, activity centres such as scratching posts. These all help to keep their minds focused on positive things.
A muzzle. If your dog is picking up lots of things while out on walks and hasnt learnt the drop or leave command yet, you can use a basket muzzle. This should stop them from wolfing down anything hazardous and theyll still be able to enjoy their walk.
Diet. Make sure theyre fed a high quality, complete life stage appropriate pet food.
Lynne concluded: If youre worried your pet has eaten something they shouldnt, or seems unwell in general, you should always contact your vet for advice. The quicker they can investigate, the better the outcome is likely to be.
PDSA is the UKs leading vet charity. Were on a mission to improve pet wellbeing through prevention, education and treatment. Funding from players of Peoples Postcode Lottery helps us reach even more pet owners with vital advice and information: http://www.pdsa.org.uk/appeal.
- Eat 6 times a day to lose weight under this program - WWLTV.com - November 26th, 2020
- 7 Ways to Help a Loved One with Eating and Swallowing Difficulties - Being Patient - November 25th, 2020
- UMMC diabetes education and care specialist offers advice on staying healthy during the holidays - The Daily News Online - November 25th, 2020
- The lights are on for Emma. Neighborhood glows teal as Stillwater teen battles cancer. - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - November 25th, 2020
- Organizations combat food insecurity with Thanksgiving meals to-go - Daily Illini - November 25th, 2020
- Your turn: How will you deal with the uninvited guest? - The Deming Headlight - November 25th, 2020
- Ways to manage holiday stress and remain safe amid COVID-19 pandemic - WCNC.com - November 24th, 2020
- How to Help Your Family Go Plant-Based and Be Healthy, By Doctors - The Beet - November 24th, 2020
- Whats intermittent fasting? The science behind it - ZME Science - November 24th, 2020
- How an innovative new pet food is providing help for cat lovers - Fast Company - November 24th, 2020
- Virtual Turkey Trots, Mocktails, And More: How The GBH Local Digital Team Is Celebrating Thanksgiving A Little Differently This Year - wgbh.org - November 24th, 2020
- What Happens to Your Cholesterol When You Go on a Keto Diet? - Everyday Health - November 20th, 2020
- 10 Minutes of Yoga During My Lunch Break Has Been Game-Changing For My Concentration - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- The Winchester Brothers Finally "Carry On" to Their Final Adventure in Supernatural Finale - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- Sophie Turner Honors Her Daughter Willa With a Beautifully Simple Tattoo - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- Your Eyes Aren't Deceiving You Taylor Lautner Isn't Sharkboy in We Can Be Heroes - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- Why I Don't Eat Protein Powder: To Fight Aging an Prevent Disease - The Beet - November 18th, 2020
- Are you a diabetic who loves sweets? Heres how you can safely savour them on Diwali - The Indian Express - November 18th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Why obesity is a risk factor for COVID complications - and how to lose weight - Express - November 18th, 2020
- Fluticasone propionate: What is it, and what does it treat? - Medical News Today - November 18th, 2020
- Self-Care in the Age of COVID and the Election - The Tablet Catholic Newspaper - November 18th, 2020
- Correction - The Robesonian - November 18th, 2020
- World Diabetes Day: Expert Tips For Diabetics To Enjoy Diwali Sweets And Fast Safely - NDTV Food - November 12th, 2020
- 7 simple home remedies to help battle bloating - Insider - INSIDER - November 12th, 2020
- Ask the Expert: Should I Be Counting Macros on My Plant-Based Diet? - The Beet - November 12th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson reveals 'holistic approach' is the secret to her 40lb weight loss - Yahoo Eurosport UK - November 12th, 2020
- Sweet truths - The New Indian Express - November 12th, 2020
- Pregnancy-Safe Foods That Will Satisfy Your Craving For Smoked Salmon - BabyGaga - November 12th, 2020
- Get to Know Spencer: The Engineer Who Snagged Tayshia's First Impression Rose - POPSUGAR - November 12th, 2020
- 5 Ways Carrie Underwood Stays Fit, Happy, and Motivated During Stressful Times - Prevention.com - November 12th, 2020
- We try NEXT MEATS meatless yakiniku: Does it live up to our meat-lover expectations? - SoraNews24 - November 1st, 2020
- Niacinamide: What It Is and What It Does for Skin - Greatist - November 1st, 2020
- Health benefits of the holiday season - Marinatimes - November 1st, 2020
- Exploring alternative proteins and their place in pet food - Pet Food Processing - November 1st, 2020
- Women over 40: health and lifestyle advice - Netdoctor - November 1st, 2020
- TECATE PAIRS WITH TAMALES IN A HOLIDAY PROMOTION MARKING MEXICAN AMERICAN FAMILY TRADITION - Food & Beverage Magazine - November 1st, 2020
- What Foraging in the Pacific Northwest Means in a Time of Uncertainty - Eater Seattle - November 1st, 2020
- What Is the Sirtfood Diet? Inside Adele's Reported Weight Loss Program - GoodHousekeeping.com - November 1st, 2020
- Fasting for Navratri? Here are some healthy and safe ways in which you can lose weight - The Indian Express - October 24th, 2020
- Freezing and Thawing Fresh Food: 8 Dos and Don'ts - Everyday Health - October 24th, 2020
- The 6 Types of Foods to Avoid With Ulcerative Colitis - Self - October 24th, 2020
- Brighter Bites Receives Walmart Foundation Grant to Expand Access to Fresh Produce and Nutrition Education Across Schools this Fall - PerishableNews - October 24th, 2020
- Tecate Pairs with Tamales in a Holiday Promotion Marking Mexican American Family Tradition - Abasto, Food and Beverage Industry News - October 24th, 2020
- 5 health benefits of aloe vera, from healing sunburn and reducing acne to helping with digestion - Insider - INSIDER - October 24th, 2020
- OPINION | Can tea really lower your blood sugar? - Health24 - October 24th, 2020
- 5 critical steps you can take to protect yourself from coronavirus and other infectious diseases - Times Now - October 24th, 2020
- Is intermittent fasting bad for you? These are the benefits and drawbacks of restrictive diets - and the healthiest way to lose weight explained - The... - October 21st, 2020
- Navratri Fasting Tips: 9 Expert-Recommended Foods That You Can Have Guilt-Free - NDTV - October 21st, 2020
- Tips to fast safely during this coronavirus pandemic - TheHealthSite - October 21st, 2020
- Everything you need to know about the diets loved by Zara McDermott, Jennifer Aniston and Gwyneth Paltrow - OK! magazine - October 21st, 2020
- Covid-19: Eating in the office cafeteria? Keep these pointers in mind - The Indian Express - October 21st, 2020
- Losing weight with fasting - Know what to eat during Navratri, tips, recipe to fast safely - Times Now - October 18th, 2020
- 9 of the best restaurants in Central Pa. for indoor dining during the pandemic: Mimis picks - PennLive - October 18th, 2020
- JODY HOLTON The doctor wants an A1C Test. What is it and why? - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - October 17th, 2020
- Harriette Cole: Im just out with my girls. Why doesnt he trust me? - The Mercury News - October 17th, 2020
- Navratri 2020: Puja timings, vrat tithi and foods! - Times of India - October 17th, 2020
- Preventing hidden hunger in the time of pandemic - Al Jazeera English - October 17th, 2020
- Artist Gina Adams exhibition, titled Its Honor is Hereby Pledged, on display at UNCPs A.D. Gallery - The Robesonian - October 17th, 2020
- Boyfriend may have trust issues - The Times and Democrat - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In Arlington Heights - Arlington Heights, IL Patch - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In New York - Yorktown, NY Patch - October 16th, 2020
- RECALL: 18 Brands of Dog Food Recalled by FDA Over Toxin Concerns - ourcommunitynow.com - October 16th, 2020
- Were We Mentally Ready for COVID-19? Why It's Time to Take Behavioral Health Seriously - - HIT Consultant - October 16th, 2020
- Oct. 14 COVID-19 update: 12 best strategies to stay healthy this fall and winter - Prescott Daily Courier - October 16th, 2020
- Gallbladder and Alcohol Consumption: What to Know - Healthline - October 16th, 2020
- What is intermittent fasting? Simple tips to do it safely - DNA India - October 7th, 2020
- Jenna Dewan Nails Her Response to Fans Asking for Her Postpartum Diet and Fitness Routine - E! Online - October 7th, 2020
- Food for thought: Breast cancer and nutrition - Coastal Courier - October 7th, 2020
- What liposuction is, and why it can make you thinner, but not thin - ZME Science - October 7th, 2020
- Diabetes And Covid-19: Expert Tips And Full-Day Diet Plan For Diabetics - NDTV Food - October 7th, 2020
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic October 2 - Medical News Today - October 7th, 2020
- Quick Breakfast Ideas: Prepare This Avocado Toast To Get A Dash Of Protein, Fibre And Good Fats - NDTV - October 7th, 2020
- Study Debunks Claim That This Popular Food Causes Inflammation - KYR News - October 7th, 2020
- The Top 10 Virtual Plant-Based Events You Don't Want To Miss - Plant Based News - October 1st, 2020
- How to gain weight quickly and safely - Netdoctor - October 1st, 2020
- Six commonly-eaten foods that can make you ill, and how to prepare and store them safely - Aberdeen Evening Express - October 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus Tips: Prevention and Safety For Everyday Life - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 1st, 2020
- 7 Bad Habits to Quit That Can Make You Feel Healthier Within Weeks - Chiang Rai Times - October 1st, 2020
- Understanding heart conditions and their warning signs - Times of Malta - October 1st, 2020
- Kidney Health and Ketoveyda: How Suraksha Naturals Is Addressing the Health Concerns of the Keto Community - PRNewswire - September 29th, 2020