For decades there has been a steady stream of anti-soy publicity and I am often send Internet articles from readers and my patients warning about the dangers of soy. In my experience however, soy is a virtual super food.
I personally have consumed soy products daily for more than 25 years and regularly recommend this humble bean to my patients. As a vegetarian, I emphasise the importance of dietary protein and am always seeking ways to supplement my protein intake. Soy is a great protein source as it is a complete protein containing all the essential amino acids.
The anti-soy lobby has actually encouraging intensive scientific research into the benefits or dangers of eating soy foods, so the issue can be dealt with using facts instead of anecdotes.
Overwhelmingly, medical and nutritional research has shown that soy offers protection against the killer diseases - heart disease, cancer and osteoporosis while helping to ease the symptoms of the menopause. It also is an economical and complete source of high quality protein that can safely replace animal protein in the diet.
The major accusations against soy are that it may cause cancer and may disturb thyroid function.
Much of the worry about soy has to do with naturally occurring compounds called phytoestrogens, the most abundant of which is the isoflavone, genistein. As their name suggests, phytoestrogens have chemical structures similar to that of the hormone oestrogen. This enables them to fit into the bodys oestrogen receptor sites, much as a key fits into a lock. Instead of causing breast cancer, this ability to bind to oestrogen receptors allows phytoestrogens to block the effects of the much stronger oestrogen produced in the body or come from toxic chemicals like insecticides. The weak soy phytoestrogens are actually oestrogen blockers and this is one way by which soy protects women against breast cancer.
Most research as well as the experience of Asian populations, where soy has been a dietary staple for thousands of years, confirms the protective role of soy. A report published back in 2001 in the journal Cancer, Epidemiology, Biomarkers, and Prevention provides compelling evidence of the anti-cancer effects of soy foods. This study found that an increase in soy intake by adolescent girls reduced theirlater risk of breast cancer. Women with the highest consumption of soy had only half the risk of those with the lowest intake. Other studies have also shown a reduced risk of prostate and colon cancers with increasing soy consumption.
Another charge against soy is that it contains anti-thyroid agents that can disturb the function of the thyroid gland. This is largely theoretical. Certain compounds in soy can affect thyroid tissue in test tube studies, but this does not appear to be the case in live human beings.
Population studies show no increased prevalence of thyroid disease in countries with a high intake of soy, and the clinical research has been inconclusive. That debate aside, most researchers agree that consuming soy at optimal healthy levels (about 25 to 40 grams per day) is most unlikely to impair thyroid function. After using soy with hundreds of patients, I have detected no disturbance of thyroid function that I could blame on soy.
However, if you have an under-active thyroid, a bit of caution may be in order. Keep your soy intake within the above range and have your thyroid function monitored periodically. Also, be aware that taking thyroid medication at the same time as any food (soy or otherwise) may decrease the drugs absorption. Take it on an empty stomach.
Have some soy in your daily diet. Soy is now available in many, many forms: soymilk, shakes, soy cheese, soy nuts, soups, drinks, protein bars, tofu and tempeh. There are also textured vegetable protein products like veggie mince and soy burgers. My favourite way to have high quality soy each day is with a soy protein shake. This is a delicious nutritious drink that can conveniently replace a meal.
With the tremendous increase in commercially processed soy products there are justifiable concerns about their quality. Not all soy products are equal. I use mainly non-GMO soy products from the most reputable sources. Avoid foods containing hydrogenated or partially hydrogenates soybean oil. Select high quality soy products as many so-called soy products have low levels of the substances that provide the health benefits of soy. Look for the term soy protein isolate and check the protein content on labels as a guide in assessing soy products.
- Question about keto and metformin? MyFitnessPal.com - October 4th, 2019
- A Ketogenic Diet for Beginners The Ultimate Keto Guide ... - October 2nd, 2019
- Weight Loss, Loss weight fast, Diet Safely - Part 5 - September 12th, 2019
- Diabetes diet: Create your healthy-eating plan - Mayo Clinic - September 12th, 2019
- How Long Can Your Body Stay in Ketosis Safely? - September 12th, 2019
- How to diet - NHS - September 7th, 2019
- The Mayo Clinic Diet: A weight-loss program for life ... - September 6th, 2019
- The truth behind the most popular diet trends of the ... - July 27th, 2019
- Is the ketogenic diet safe for diabetics? ( ... - July 25th, 2019
- Ketosis for Seniors: What Should You Know? - Perfect Keto - July 22nd, 2019
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? How to Avoid Common Issues - June 21st, 2019
- drbdiet.com - Bernstein Diet & Health Clinics - May 21st, 2019
- What Is the Keto Diet (and Should You Try It)? Health ... - May 21st, 2019
- Calcium: An Important Mineral For Women - Women's Health - May 21st, 2019
- Beyonce Diet aka The Master Cleanse or Lemonade Diet - May 16th, 2019
- What should I feed my backyard chickens? RSPCA Knowledgebase - May 16th, 2019
- Eating a Plant-Based Diet: Safely Going Vegan | Nerd Fitness - April 25th, 2019
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe Long Term? Potential Dangers to ... - March 31st, 2019
- Weight loss: Choosing a diet that's right for you - Mayo ... - March 30th, 2019
- Ketogenic Diet Benefits (& How to Do It Right) | Wellness Mama - March 12th, 2019
- Are low carb diets safe to follow? | All Natural Ideas - March 12th, 2019
- Find Out How to Diet Safely - Food Without Fire - March 9th, 2019
- Keto Diet for Women: Food List & Tips to Overcome Side ... - March 8th, 2019
- 11 Fruits can you Eat Safely in a Ketogenic Diet - Cool ... - March 7th, 2019
- HCG Diet | HCG Drops | HCG Diet Information | Your HCG - March 6th, 2019
- All About Cat Diets How and Why to Put Your Cat on a ... - February 12th, 2019
- Foods You Can Safely Eat Past The Due Dates | ActiveBeat - January 28th, 2019
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe for People with Diabetes? - Dr ... - December 20th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Safe? 4 Potential Dangers to Be Aware Of ... - December 19th, 2018
- Is the Keto Diet Really Safe? - thedailymeal.com - December 19th, 2018
- The Vegan Diet Done Safely - Parsley Health - November 18th, 2018
- Ketogenic diet: Is the ultimate low-carb diet good for you ... - October 31st, 2018
- Keto Diet Beginners Guide: Understanding the Ketogenic Diet - October 2nd, 2018
- Is the Keto diet Safe? 10 Myth-Busting Arguments for the ... - August 8th, 2018
- Diet - Safety Talk Ideas - August 6th, 2018
- The Carnivore Diet: Can Eating Only Meat Supercharge Your ... - August 1st, 2018
- Diet and Weight Loss Safety Tips (UPDATE: Jul 2018) | 2 ... - July 26th, 2018
- What Is the Keto Diet, and Is It Safe? - May 24th, 2018
- How to Safely and Effectively Come Off the Keto Diet ... - May 7th, 2018
- Care Guide: Diet - April 2nd, 2018
- Eat Wheat: A Scientific and Clinically-Proven Approach to ... - March 16th, 2018
- Can Probiotics Make It Safely To Your Intestines? - February 19th, 2018
- How to safely and healthily use supplements in your diet ... - February 17th, 2018
- Liquid Diet: Facts About Plans and Effectiveness - February 17th, 2018
- 11 Low Carb Vegetables That You Can Safely Eat on the ... - February 7th, 2018
- Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe for Everyone? - Diagnosis:Diet - January 20th, 2018
- Best Weight Loss Pills For Women Reviewed - Top 8 Best ... - December 25th, 2017
- Safe Diets and Healthful Weight Loss - healthline.com - November 6th, 2017
- Can I diet while breastfeeding? KellyMom.com - October 15th, 2017
- How to Use Diet Pills Safely: 12 Steps (with Pictures ... - October 13th, 2017
- How to Lose Weight Quickly and Safely (for Teen Girls) - October 13th, 2017
- Chinese red viagra sildenafil citrate - Viagra and red bull safe - Red ant viagra review - Black Hills Today - September 6th, 2017
- The What IF Plan: all you need to know about the new DNA weight loss programme - Evening Standard - September 6th, 2017
- Coca-Cola Offering $1 Million for Natural Sugar Substitute - Newsmax - September 6th, 2017
- 'Global event' in Ames this fall to focus on digital literacy - Radio Iowa - September 6th, 2017
- All the Apps and Websites You Need When You Have a Kid With Food Allergies - Lifehacker Australia - September 6th, 2017
- Cheap female viagra pills - Name of female viagra tablet - Twin Cities Arts Reader - September 4th, 2017
- 'Diet guidelines biased against poor nations' - The News International - September 4th, 2017
- World-renowned Alzheimer's expert takes state fair stage - KARE - September 4th, 2017
- 10 new nutrients you should be eating right away - DailyO - September 4th, 2017
- Why West's low-fat diet advice could be deadly for Asia's poor, because they'll likely eat even more carbs - South China Morning Post - September 2nd, 2017
- Battling the deerfly - Stowe Today - September 2nd, 2017
- Levitra professional mail order - Levitra professional pills - Laughlin Entertainer - September 2nd, 2017
- A Bountiful Assortment - PetProductNews.com - September 2nd, 2017
- Don't talk about diets in front of your daughters, deputy head at top London school warns parents - Evening Standard - September 1st, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Capital FM Kenya (press release) (blog) - September 1st, 2017
- Sponsor spotlight: Harbor Square Athletic Club Healthy Lifestyle Tip good protein sources - My Edmonds News - September 1st, 2017
- Viagra soft tabs uk buy - Viagra soft tab generic - Forward Florida - September 1st, 2017
- The Most Weight You Can Safely Lose In A Month By Only ... - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines 'biased against poor nations' - New Vision - August 30th, 2017
- Nutrition: Tips to a healthful State Fair - Duluth News Tribune - August 30th, 2017
- How does a high-salt diet affect your body? - Reports Healthcare - August 30th, 2017
- Healthcare Startup Claims It Can Defeat Diabetes With Nutrition Alone - Futurism - August 30th, 2017
- Buy kamagra soft usa - Forward Florida - August 30th, 2017
- Diet guidelines biased against poor nations: study - Geo News, Pakistan - August 29th, 2017
- Men who get fit in middle age can halve their risk of strokes - Telegraph.co.uk - August 29th, 2017
- Can you really lose your belly fat with just 15 minutes of HIIT a day? Yes. - Metro - August 29th, 2017
- Viagra capsule in hindi - Viagra capsules price in india - Laughlin Entertainer - August 27th, 2017
- Extension Connection: Petscaping Your Yard - Canton Daily Ledger - August 27th, 2017
- Ketogenic diet loved for fast results, but does it work? - Gears Of Biz - August 27th, 2017