How easy is it for seniors to get around the North Shore safely and effortlessly?
Not so easy said seniors at a recent event Seniors on the Go sponsored by the City of North Vancouver Library and the City of North Vancouver Seniors Action Table.
Seniors spoke about lack of sidewalks, dangerous intersections, the speed and noise of vehicles, poor lighting, bikes and skateboards on sidewalks and limits to accessibility (expanded patio table areas, sandwich boards).
Seniors complained about dips in the curbs at crosswalks as a problem for people who are sight impaired and the slow clearing of snow off sidewalks.
They were concerned about lack of benches in some areas and when there were benches the lack of covers or shelters from the weather.
They also talked about poor transportation options and issues with bus availability and accessibility.
Yet physical activity is positively linked with physical and mental health, disease prevention and management, emotional and social well-being, and autonomy and independence (Health Canada, 2002).
Physical activity is linked with maintaining or losing weight, enhancing mobility, flexibility and balance, improving sleep and boosting mood and self-confidence.
In the 2017 report Raising the Profile of the Community-based Seniors Services Sector in B.C.: A Review of the Literature, authors Laura Kadowaki and Marcy Cohen say that multiple studies have connected physical activity with decreased healthcare utilization and costs.
For example, exercise programs have been found to reduce the risk of falls, which is the number one cause of injury-related hospitalizations for seniors in Canada, costing the health-care system two billion additional dollars a year.
According to Annwen Loverin, executive director of Silver Harbour Seniors Activity Centre and one of the speakers at the Seniors on the Go event, half of the seniors on the North Shore are less likely to go out if they dont have access to a car.
In order for seniors to be active it means that the outdoor environment has to be age and ability friendly. Seniors need to feel that they can get around safely, without too many distractions, and without hazards.
At the Seniors on the Go event Daniel Watson, transportation planner for the city spoke about creating a plan which will look at ways to make the City of North Vancouver more walkable.
He talked about creating pedestrian corridors, more sidewalks, and better intersection controls.
Natalie Corbo, city transportation demand management co-ordinator, talked about the Look Think Go campaign to educate people in using safe travel practices.
The campaign hopes to influence pedestrians, cyclists and drivers about courteous, safe and focused ways to be safe while on the go.
Two enthusiastic representatives from the RCMP spoke about how to be safe on the streets.
They talked about safety in numbers, dressing to be seen, making eye contact with drivers dont assume drivers see you, walking on well-lit streets, varying your route (bad guys check peoples routines), watching driveways to make sure no one is exiting and watching for obstacles on paths.
They also said make sure you have time to cross the street.
At crosswalks, cross only when the walk sign is visible - not taking a chance on making it when the countdown has started.
They advised seniors to take some extra responsibility.
As one officer said, You might be doing everything right but the other person might not.
If walking is a problem for seniors they can choose senior friendly transportation options which, as Loverin says, are available, acceptable, accessible, adaptable and affordable.
These include public transportation, options such as the Go Bus, West Vancouver Shuttle Bus, Capilano Seniors Hub Bus, and individualized rides, HandyDART, home care companies, taxis and car shares.
She suggests that seniors use public transit whenever possible as it is cheapest and easiest.
Loverin also suggests seniors make an effort to get to know and practise how to use public transportation before they are unable to drive.
The transportation services that Loverin spoke about can be found in the Seniors Directory at issuu.com/nsnfeatures/docs/seniors_directory_2017.
Physical activity is important for seniors on the North Shore so get out and move. Youll be happier and healthier if you do.
Margaret Coates is the co-ordinator of Lionsview Seniors Planning Society. She has lived on the North Shore for 47 years and has worked for and with seniors for 20 of those years. email@example.com
Read the original here:
OLDER AND WISER: It's important to get up and move around - North Shore News
- How one woman used intermittent fasting to lose 80 pounds in a year - NBC News - January 29th, 2020
- Study reveals the best diet for actually losing weight and keeping it off - Ladders - January 29th, 2020
- Weight loss: Dont bother with the gym and keep your diet simple 6 tips to burn fat faster - The Sun - January 29th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Ways to Shed Fat for Performance and Aesthetics - BOXROX - January 29th, 2020
- Erica Lugo's Personal Weight-Loss Journey Makes Her One of the Most Relatable Trainers - msnNOW - January 29th, 2020
- Weight loss: My controlling boyfriend asked me to STOP slimming as it made him insecure so I dumped him & l - The Sun - January 29th, 2020
- Before and after photos: Weight loss transformations of 9 Bollywood celebrities - Gulf News - January 29th, 2020
- 'I Counted My Macros On Keto And Got Into Low-Impact HIITAnd I Lost 141 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 29th, 2020
- New year's resolution workout routines don't have to be scary | News, Sports, Jobs - Lewistown Sentinel - January 29th, 2020
- The Biggest Loser Winners: Where Are They Now? - E! NEWS - January 29th, 2020
- 3 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight on a Low-Carb Diet, According to a Dietitian - Yahoo Lifestyle - January 27th, 2020
- No longer tipping the scale | News - East Oregonian - January 27th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Why You're Not Losing Weight on a Low-Carb Diet, According to a Dietitian - POPSUGAR - January 27th, 2020
- How to lose weight like this guy who lost 51 kg in 6 months by clubbing these 2 weight loss hacks - GQ India - January 27th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting why not eating (for a bit) could work for weight loss and health - CBC.ca - January 27th, 2020
- She lost half her body weight and landed on the cover of People. What's her secret? - yoursun.com - January 27th, 2020
- The policeman who went on the run to lose weight and represent New Zealand - Stuff.co.nz - January 27th, 2020
- Here's Why Too Much Exercise Too Fast Can Cause Real Damage And Turn Your Urine Brown - ScienceAlert - January 27th, 2020
- She resolved to live a healthier lifestyle - Midland Daily News - January 27th, 2020
- Walt Handelsman: New Cartoon Caption Contest Winners! - The Advocate - January 27th, 2020
- Diet Demand Utilizes Carb Cycling & Low-Carb Dieting Combination to Help Patients Achieve Fast Weight Loss - GlobeNewswire - January 27th, 2020
- More than 15% of US adults are inactive - Oklahoman.com - January 27th, 2020
- Losing weight can help you lose the pain, too - Harvard Health - January 25th, 2020
- The Mediterranean diet is the healthiest way to lose weight long-term - Metro.co.uk - January 25th, 2020
- PERRY BUCHANAN: How to make your New Year's resolutions stick this time - The Albany Herald - January 25th, 2020
- Don't Give In: Use Noom to Keep Your New Year's Resolution to Lose Weight - Men's Journal - January 25th, 2020
- Weight loss story: This guy lost 24 kilos in just 6 months by doing cardio! Here's how he did it - Times of India - January 25th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: burn fat and reveal your abs in 2020 with these 5 techniques - T3 - January 25th, 2020
- Local TOPS Club offers five reasons to forgo fad diets - Hornell Evening Tribune - January 25th, 2020
- If your goal is losing weight, get on your feet - STLtoday.com - January 25th, 2020
- Weight loss: I was a size 24 but lost 10 stone to halve my body weight in a YEAR after I couldnt fit into my - The Sun - January 25th, 2020
- How to do the Nuut diet Save Money Lose Weights 1-2-3 method explained! - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - January 25th, 2020
- The real reason Rebel Wilson is losing weight - Nicki Swift - January 25th, 2020
- One in five Millennials has changed their diet to reduce their impact on the planet - YouGov US - January 25th, 2020
- 'Obese' bear removed from Pennsylvania club after living in poor conditions for 'possibly decades': report - Home - WSFX - January 25th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How to Use Wheatgrass to Lose Weight (Watch Video) - LatestLY - January 25th, 2020
- Woman loses eight stone in a year with Slimming World - Falmouth Packet - January 25th, 2020
- Weight loss: How to lose weight like this guy who lost 58 kgs by following this diverse yet sustainable routine - GQ India - January 25th, 2020
- 6 weight loss strategies that'll get you closer to your #BodyGoals - Health24 - January 25th, 2020
- Effective Exercise Tips If You Want To Lose Weight Ahead Of Summer - Medical Daily - January 21st, 2020
- SMART Carpet and Flooring Issues New Year's Resolution Reminder: 'Remember Your Promise to Lose Weight and Stay Fit This Year? Get Started With Brand... - January 21st, 2020
- Losing a little weight can lower the risk of breast cancer - WTNH.com - January 21st, 2020
- Going for Short Walks Every Day Led to This Guy Losing 140 Pounds - menshealth.com - January 21st, 2020
- Is jogging really effective for weight loss? - The Standard - January 21st, 2020
- 'After Being Prescribed Diet Pills, I Found A Natural Way To Maintain My Weight With The 80-20 Diet' - msnNOW - January 21st, 2020
- 21 January 2020 6 steps to successful weight loss for women Obesity researcher Dr Nick Fuller - News - The University of Sydney - January 21st, 2020
- Feeling down and sluggish? Your thyroid could be to blame - ABC 4 - January 21st, 2020
- How to lose weight and live longer, by Britain's top diabetes expert - The Times - January 21st, 2020
- Rebel Wilson's trainer praises her dedication to losing weight, says she has been 'putting in the yards' daily - MEAWW - January 21st, 2020
- Losing weight in aid of Stepping Stone Hospice - Southern Courier - January 21st, 2020
- Small Diet Changes And A Push-Pull-Legs Routine Helped This Guy Drop 23Kg - Men's Health - January 21st, 2020
- Your Health Family: Feeling down and sluggish? Your thyroid could be to blame - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - January 21st, 2020
- Quick Bodyweight Workouts to Do When You Don't Feel Like Going to the Gym - Men's Journal - January 21st, 2020
- The inspiring story of one man's 330lbs body transformation - JOE.co.uk - January 21st, 2020
- This is basically promoting eating disorders Shoppers slam The Range for selling a bikini body weight loss aid - goodtoknow - January 21st, 2020
- Keto diet isnt the answer for weight loss, experts say. Heres what is - USA TODAY - January 20th, 2020
- Trying to lose weight? Eat your meal alone - Times of India - January 20th, 2020
- Losing weight off this organ helps improve sleep apnoea - The Star Online - January 20th, 2020
- 'I Followed The 80-20 Diet Rule And Tracked My Macros With MyFitnessPalAnd I Lost 40 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 20th, 2020
- James Martin weight loss how did the chef lose weight? - The Sun - January 20th, 2020
- Effective Steps for CrossFit Athletes to Lose Weight Without Counting Calories - BOXROX - January 20th, 2020
- Diet Demand Touts Benefits of Heart Healthy Diets for Longevity and Weight Loss - GlobeNewswire - January 20th, 2020
- Adele's body transformation was 'never about losing weight' - 9TheFIX - January 20th, 2020
- Fitness Revolution is helping me achieve my goals - Lake Placid Diet by Andy Flynn - LakePlacidNews.com | News and information on the Lake Placid and... - January 20th, 2020
- The reason is not divorced: why Adele is rapidly losing weight - The Times Hub - January 20th, 2020
- Singapore #Fitspo of the Week: Rayson Yong - Yahoo Singapore News - January 20th, 2020
- The Military diet: how does it work and can it order you to lose weight? - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: 5 ways to feel better and reveal your abs in 2020 - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson flaunts amazing weight loss transformation after declaring 2020 her 'year of health' - Fox News - January 17th, 2020
- Weed and weight: Why are cannabis consumers slimmer? - Leafly - January 17th, 2020
- Weight loss with the 5:2 diet: requires willpower but can be powerfully effective - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Women say having clear skin, losing weight and clean hair is the secret to getting an instant confidence boost - The Sun - January 17th, 2020
- Drinking This Much Water Per Day Was the Key to Jessica Simpson's 100 lb Weight Loss - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat with 5 simple tips and reveal those abs - The Sun - January 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Is it possible to lose weight without performing cardio? - Times of India - January 17th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge: The Lose Weight and Get Fit chef on trying to regain fitness and why carbs are back on the menu - inews - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose weight with just 5 healthy food swaps - Better Homes and Gardens - January 17th, 2020
- Malaysian teen shares painful experience of being body shamed despite losing weight, going to the gym - Malay Mail - January 17th, 2020
- Steve Harvey Tells Ellen DeGeneres He Stopped Trying to Lose Weight and He'll Just Make More Money Instead - AmoMama - January 17th, 2020
- 'I Made A Decision To Get Fit, Lose Weight And Push On To Being An Outfield Player' - Balls.ie - January 17th, 2020