The U.S. is big, and getting bigger. Since the 1980s, American adults obesity is at epidemic proportions, and there does not seem to be an end in sight.
Rates of obesity in those younger leveled off between 2005 and 2014, but a recent report in JAMA wanted to know if there has been any change.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention looked at data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), which takes various measures of the health and nutrition of children and adults in the U.S., using interviews and physical exams.
Body Mass Index (BMI) measures from almost 30,000 adults and 17,000 young people tell the story between 2007 and 2016.
On BMI measurements: Adults are obese when their BMI is over 30; severe obesity is any BMI over 40. A normal BMI ranges between 18.5 and 24.9. In those under 20 years old, obesity is measured against what is normal for one's age -- obesity is greater than the 95th percentile, while severe obesity is at or above 120 percent of the 95th percentile.
The CDC results were mixed: in the young, the prevalence of obesity was 16.8 percent in 2007; it was 18.5 percent 10 years later.
There were no significant differences when looking at age or gender, but thats still nearly 2 out of every 10 kids weighing in as obese. Our youth arent in the clear just yet.
For adults, it was a more stark story: obesity increased from 33.7 percent to 39.6 percent over 10 years -- it stood out most in women, and in adults over 40. Thats a shocking 2 out of 5 adults.
Severely obese adults went from 5.7 percent to 7.7 percent, showing up the most in adults from age 20 to 59.
Americans, it seems, may not realize that these trends increase risk for all types of disease, from heart attack, stroke, and diabetes to many forms of cancer.
And although we are seeing a potential plateau of obesity cases in our kids, we continue to hear about them being diagnosed with high blood pressure and diabetes, requiring medication management -- for diseases we often associate with adults.
Although the report did not give any recommendations about these results, it is telling that the obesity epidemic isnt losing its heft.
Doctors argue that we cannot accept this as societys new normal - unless we accept a higher death rate as well. Perhaps the thought of raising more healthy families will prove to be motivation to change.
Dr. Najibah Rehman, MD, MPH, is a third-year preventive medicine resident at the University of Michigan, working in the ABC News Medical Unit.
See the original post here:
Obesity epidemic grows in adults; perhaps levels off in ...
- No link between caesarean delivery and obesity, research finds - The Guardian - December 6th, 2019
- Limited Eating Times Could Be a New Way to Fight Obesity and Diabetes - EcoWatch - December 6th, 2019
- Harvard Scientists Develop Method to Limit Fat Absorption as Treatment for Obesity | News - Harvard Crimson - December 6th, 2019
- Water retention can make you look fat: Know how to get rid of obesity caused by oedema - TheHealthSite - December 6th, 2019
- Obesity Can Reduce Effectiveness of Heart Drugs - Newsmax - December 5th, 2019
- Director of public health highlights north-east's obesity problem - Press and Journal - December 5th, 2019
- Study explores relationship between obesity and gum disease - Yahoo India News - December 5th, 2019
- Promote Healthy Growth and Prevent Obesity in Children - UAPB News - December 5th, 2019
- The true costs of obesity - Medical Economics - December 4th, 2019
- MRI Reveals Brain Damage Linked With Obesity in Teens - MedPage Today - December 4th, 2019
- New study explores the effect of obesity on non-surgical periodontal care - News-Medical.net - December 4th, 2019
- Study shows obese, overweight have tougher time fighting the flu - WJW FOX 8 News Cleveland - December 4th, 2019
- Why scientists are studying hibernation to tackle obesity - Medical News Today - December 4th, 2019
- Project CommUNITY: Childhood obesity and its impact on Oklahoma children - KOCO Oklahoma City - December 4th, 2019
- Teen obesity may damage parts of the brain that regulates appetite, emotion - Radiology Business - December 4th, 2019
- Obesity: In The Absence Of Healthy Foods, This New Therapy Found By Scientists Could Help Manage Obesity - NDTV Food - December 4th, 2019
- Healthy Living: Great Ways to Fight Childhood Obesity - 9&10 News - December 4th, 2019
- New review assesses patients' perspectives of clinical consultations related to weight - News-Medical.net - December 4th, 2019
- Australia's favourite giraffe, Harold, will help to tackle preschool obesity on the Gold Coast - The Sector - December 4th, 2019
- The Heavy Truth About Fat Shaming And Obesity - GirlTalkHQ - December 4th, 2019
- Decline in early childhood obesity in WIC families - StMaryNow.com - December 4th, 2019
- Telling parents of young children they're overweight, obese bad for their health - Stuff.co.nz - December 4th, 2019
- Is obesity an addiction? Ross Walker investigates - Starts at 60 - December 4th, 2019
- Better late than never? New Zealand government finally responds to industry's anti-obesity plan - FoodNavigator-Asia.com - December 4th, 2019
- Obesity is an epidemic Why haven't we responded accordingly? | TheHill - The Hill - December 1st, 2019
- Antiarrhythmic Drug Response My Be Affected by Obesity: Study - DocWire News - December 1st, 2019
- Inflammation triggered by obesity may cause brain damage - SlashGear - December 1st, 2019
- MRI Scans Reveal What Obesity Does to the Brains of Teens - Newsweek - December 1st, 2019
- Decline in obesity of some young children attributed to improvements in WIC food package - FoodNavigator-USA.com - December 1st, 2019
- Flu Shot Doesn't Work As Well For Obese And Overweight People : Shots - Health News - NPR - December 1st, 2019
- The other ED to worry about Diabetes+obesity=Erectile dysfunction - Yahoo India News - December 1st, 2019
- The Croydon doctor who raps about knife crime, obesity and violence on NHS staff - MyLondon - December 1st, 2019
- Obesity Associated With Worse Working Memory in Women But Not Men - Endocrinology Advisor - December 1st, 2019
- These 8 foods are the biggest cause of childhood obesity - Times of India - December 1st, 2019
- Greece has second highest rate of child obesity in EU | Kathimerini - www.ekathimerini.com - December 1st, 2019
- Anti-Obesity Day 2019: What Causes Childhood Obesity? Tips For Parents To Help Their Children Maintain A Healthy Weight - NDTV News - December 1st, 2019
- Marion County participating in program to fight child obesity - WBTW - December 1st, 2019
- Obesity and food standards top election priorities -... - Footprint - December 1st, 2019
- INMB: Potential Link Between Obesity and Neuroinflammation Shown in Mouse Model of Alzheimer's - Zacks Small Cap Research - December 1st, 2019
- News digest Heart health risks, immunotherapy trials, prostate cancer urine test and living with cancer - Cancer Research UK - Science Blog - December 1st, 2019
- Rising alarms of childhood obesity in W.Va. - Beckley Register-Herald - November 23rd, 2019
- RA Treatment: Influence of Sex, Drugs, and Obesity - MedPage Today - November 23rd, 2019
- Surprising protein discovery could revert some severe obesity issues - Siliconrepublic.com - November 23rd, 2019
- Emotional toll of obesity - Telegraph India - November 23rd, 2019
- Health bureaucrats hit the road with 'transformative' new plan to tackle obesity - Sydney Morning Herald - November 23rd, 2019
- Two-thirds of men in Ireland are overweight or obese, report finds - The Irish Times - November 23rd, 2019
- LETTER: Should we blame parents for overweight children? - TheChronicleHerald.ca - November 23rd, 2019
- Letters: Innovate to tackle obesity | Letters - The Grocer - November 23rd, 2019
- Lower Childhood Obesity Rates in NJ Linked to Nutrition Program - NJ Spotlight - November 22nd, 2019
- Obese teens' quality of life improves after weight loss surgery - Reuters - November 22nd, 2019
- Recently discovered protein may play key role in obesity and metabolic disease - News-Medical.net - November 22nd, 2019
- Novo Nordisk and UNICEF announce new partnership to help prevent childhood overweight and obesity - UNICEF - November 22nd, 2019
- The Influence of Sex and Pre-operative Obesity on Biomechanics Two Years After Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Longitudinal Cohort Study - DocWire News - November 22nd, 2019
- Obesity Risk Linked to Mutations in MRAP2 Gene, Study Says - Genetic Obesity News - November 22nd, 2019
- Two-thirds of men in Ireland are overweight or obese, report finds - Irish Times - November 22nd, 2019
- Summit aims to reduce obesity in Mississippi - WJTV - November 22nd, 2019
- Study of 20-year-olds says obesity more likely among women - The Times - November 22nd, 2019
- New Book Offers Insight into the Lives of the Extremely Obese - Patch.com - November 22nd, 2019
- This protein that appears to play an important role in obesity, metabolic disease - Hindustan Times - November 22nd, 2019
- New studies point to benefits of weight-loss surgery for teens with severe obesity - News-Medical.net - November 20th, 2019
- 'Hyperpalatable' Defined as Foods Driving the Obesity Epidemic - Medscape - November 19th, 2019
- UC-Boulder 'encouraging' obesity with 'weight bias' workshop, conservative group says - Campus Reform - November 19th, 2019
- Free Decatur Event Will Address Being Overweight and Obesity Sat. - Decatur, GA Patch - November 19th, 2019
- Average US BMI on the rise despite increasing weight loss efforts - Medical News Today - November 19th, 2019
- Sleeve Gastrectomy Beneficial at Lower BMI; Call to Lower Threshold - Medscape - November 19th, 2019
- Obesity in Childhood Linked to Reduced Cortical Thickness, Executive Functioning - Psychiatry Advisor - November 19th, 2019
- Obesity-related cancers on the rise in younger Canadians: study - CBC.ca - November 19th, 2019
- Number of people with obesity doubles in 20 years - Open Access Government - November 19th, 2019
- Addressing the unmet needs of people living with obesity - Philippine Star - November 19th, 2019
- The way to tackle the child obesity epidemic? Teach cooking in schools - Telegraph.co.uk - November 19th, 2019
- Obesity And Obstetric Anesthesia: Current Insights | LRA - Dove Medical Press - November 18th, 2019
- 10 Things to Know About... Obesity - Entertainment.ie - November 18th, 2019
- How to Get Started Exercising When You're Living With Obesity - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 18th, 2019
- Here's Where New York Ranks Among Nation's Most Obese States - Daily Voice - November 18th, 2019
- UN spotlights 'explosive' obesity rates, hunger in Latin America and Caribbean - UN News - November 17th, 2019
- Obesity almost doubles in 20 years to affect 13 million people - The Guardian - November 17th, 2019
- Obesity and Bone Fractures in PWS Children Tied to High Blood Levels of Protein, Study Says - Prader-Willi News - November 17th, 2019
- UN calls for urgent action to curb rise in hunger and obesity in Latin America and Caribbean - YubaNet - November 17th, 2019
- Weight-Loss Surgery for Teens Who Cant Lose Weight Any Other Way - The New York Times - November 17th, 2019
- News digest cancer waiting times, complementary treatments, obesity and a NASA-style training for cancer patients? - Cancer Research UK - Science... - November 17th, 2019