The U.S. is big, and getting bigger. Since the 1980s, American adults obesity is at epidemic proportions, and there does not seem to be an end in sight.
Rates of obesity in those younger leveled off between 2005 and 2014, but a recent report in JAMA wanted to know if there has been any change.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention looked at data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), which takes various measures of the health and nutrition of children and adults in the U.S., using interviews and physical exams.
Body Mass Index (BMI) measures from almost 30,000 adults and 17,000 young people tell the story between 2007 and 2016.
On BMI measurements: Adults are obese when their BMI is over 30; severe obesity is any BMI over 40. A normal BMI ranges between 18.5 and 24.9. In those under 20 years old, obesity is measured against what is normal for one's age -- obesity is greater than the 95th percentile, while severe obesity is at or above 120 percent of the 95th percentile.
The CDC results were mixed: in the young, the prevalence of obesity was 16.8 percent in 2007; it was 18.5 percent 10 years later.
There were no significant differences when looking at age or gender, but thats still nearly 2 out of every 10 kids weighing in as obese. Our youth arent in the clear just yet.
For adults, it was a more stark story: obesity increased from 33.7 percent to 39.6 percent over 10 years -- it stood out most in women, and in adults over 40. Thats a shocking 2 out of 5 adults.
Severely obese adults went from 5.7 percent to 7.7 percent, showing up the most in adults from age 20 to 59.
Americans, it seems, may not realize that these trends increase risk for all types of disease, from heart attack, stroke, and diabetes to many forms of cancer.
And although we are seeing a potential plateau of obesity cases in our kids, we continue to hear about them being diagnosed with high blood pressure and diabetes, requiring medication management -- for diseases we often associate with adults.
Although the report did not give any recommendations about these results, it is telling that the obesity epidemic isnt losing its heft.
Doctors argue that we cannot accept this as societys new normal - unless we accept a higher death rate as well. Perhaps the thought of raising more healthy families will prove to be motivation to change.
Dr. Najibah Rehman, MD, MPH, is a third-year preventive medicine resident at the University of Michigan, working in the ABC News Medical Unit.
See the original post here:
Obesity epidemic grows in adults; perhaps levels off in ...
- The Human Body: A Gift and a Responsibility - BYU Speeches - May 14th, 2019
- Obesity - National Institute of Environmental Health Services - April 30th, 2019
- Home Page - Obesity Action Coalition - April 27th, 2019
- Let's Reverse Obesity Building a Community to Reverse ... - March 21st, 2019
- TPE obesity in the USA. - March 21st, 2019
- Cycling and obesity | Just Williams - March 21st, 2019
- Wired for Obesity: Genes Involved in Development Can ... - March 21st, 2019
- Atheism and obesity - Conservapedia - March 21st, 2019
- The Obesity Nightmare - March 21st, 2019
- Levels of Obesity (Tips.Net) - March 21st, 2019
- BMI Related Disease - BMI Calculator - March 12th, 2019
- What is obesity? - CNN Video - March 12th, 2019
- Obesity & BMI - Our World in Data - March 9th, 2019
- Obesity Statistics - Worldometers - February 8th, 2019
- Obesity Treatment - February 8th, 2019
- The Energy Drink Epidemic - ensign - lds.org - February 6th, 2019
- Missionary Health Preparation - ensign - lds.org - February 6th, 2019
- Provident Living | Word of Wisdom and Physical Health - February 6th, 2019
- Good HealthA Key to Joyous Living - Barbara B. Smith - February 6th, 2019
- Overweight and Obesity (for Parents) - January 20th, 2019
- Obesity - Causes - NHS - January 20th, 2019
- Obesity: The Journal of The Obesity Society - December 29th, 2018
- Obesity: Symptoms, Treatments, Causes, Tests & Preventions - December 9th, 2018
- Obesity | National Institute of Food and Agriculture - November 3rd, 2018
- World Rankings: Obesity Rates by Country (July 2017) - November 3rd, 2018
- Obesity | NIDDK - November 1st, 2018
- National Obesity Rates & Trends The State of Obesity - November 1st, 2018
- Obesity Rates & Trend Data The State of Obesity - October 8th, 2018
- 2nd International Conferennce on Nutritional Science & Obesity - September 24th, 2018
- Obesity and Cancer Fact Sheet - National Cancer Institute - September 2nd, 2018
- What is Obesity? - Medical News Today - July 25th, 2018
- Obesity and overweight - who.int - July 11th, 2018
- Obesity: Causes, Complications & Diagnosis - June 24th, 2018
- What is Obesity? - Obesity Action Coalition - June 24th, 2018
- Obesity Is Lowering the Life Expectancy in the U.S. | Time - March 25th, 2018
- Obesity, overweight tied to shorter life, more years with ... - March 25th, 2018
- Journal of Childhood Obesity |Open Access Journals - March 24th, 2018
- CDR's New Interdisciplinary Certification in Obesity and ... - March 24th, 2018
- Obesity ProCon.org - March 24th, 2018
- Obesity | Conditions & Treatments | UCSF Medical Center - March 24th, 2018
- Obesity - NHS.UK - March 22nd, 2018
- Why are Americans Obese? | PublicHealth.org - March 13th, 2018
- Obesity Epidemic Definition, Statistics, Causes & Facts - February 5th, 2018
- About NIH Obesity Research (Obesity Research) - February 1st, 2018
- Obesity: Get the Facts on Guidelines and Statistics - January 25th, 2018
- Overweight and Obesity | National Heart, Lung, and Blood ... - January 22nd, 2018
- Obesity - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo Clinic - December 31st, 2017
- Obesity - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - December 11th, 2017
- Obesity - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Complications ... - November 1st, 2017
- Obesity Facts, and When to Seek Help - webmd.com - October 13th, 2017
- West Virginia leads nation in obesity rates - The Montgomery Herald - September 6th, 2017
- CDC Data Show Obesity Among US Adults Remains High - AAFP News - September 6th, 2017
- Study: Nearly 32 percent of NC residents obese | Local News ... - Winston-Salem Journal - September 6th, 2017
- Connection Between Sleep And Obesity Is Enigmatic - American Council on Science and Health - September 6th, 2017
- Rare obesity disease player Rhythm Pharma sets out in search of a $115M IPO windfall - Endpoints News - September 6th, 2017
- Obesity epidemic at new high, costs $150B a year, hurts ... - September 5th, 2017
- Disease of Obesity - American Society for Metabolic and ... - September 5th, 2017
- Kansas only state to reduce adult obesity rate in 2016 - Dodge City Daily Globe - September 5th, 2017
- Don't blame food stamps for obesity in America - GreenwichTime - Greenwich Time - September 5th, 2017
- More than 1 of 4 New Yorkers is Obese in New Study while Overall Obesity Rise is Leveling Off - WAER - September 5th, 2017
- More obesity operations could help thousands of Britons, surgeons say - Treehugger - September 5th, 2017
- Weight's Over: Arkansas's Obesity Rank Jumps To 3rd In New Report - KASU - September 5th, 2017
- Take a stand against childhood obesity - BizTimes.com (Milwaukee) - September 5th, 2017
- Dietitian hopes to help lower state's obesity rate - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal - September 4th, 2017
- Obesity report: One-third of US adults are beyond overweight - WDEF News 12 - September 4th, 2017
- Dust particles may contribute to obesity, study shows - Duke Chronicle - September 4th, 2017
- September is Childhood Obesity Awareness Month - Greensburg Daily News - September 3rd, 2017
- Colorado Obesity Rate Increases - Still Lowest in the Nation - Kiowa County Press - September 3rd, 2017
- Apollo bags CE mark for longer-term obesity balloon - FierceBiotech - September 3rd, 2017
- Hold that corn dog. Minnesota obesity is on the rise - Minneapolis Star Tribune - September 2nd, 2017
- American obesity report: 1 in 3 adults are beyond overweight ... - Chicago Tribune - September 2nd, 2017
- Scientists Discovered a Protein that Could Lead to a Treatment for ... - Futurism - September 2nd, 2017
- UK needs to perform thousands more obesity operations, say ... - The Guardian - September 2nd, 2017
- Can obesity rates be reversed? - The Business Journals - September 2nd, 2017
- Do You Live In the Fattest State In America? - Men's Health - September 2nd, 2017
- Early pregnancy weight gain may increase risk of childhood obesity - The Boston Globe - August 29th, 2017
- High Calorie Foods May Increase Cancer Risk Regardless Of Obesity Status, Study Finds - CBS Philly - August 29th, 2017
- ESC: Is Low BMI a Bigger Problem than Obesity After PCI? - MedPage Today - August 29th, 2017
- The obesity myth: experts tackle a big problem to deliver new solutions - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 29th, 2017
- Obesity and Pregnancy - ACOG - August 27th, 2017