Obesity is linked with several deadly diseases. Yoga is an effective way to maintain a healthy weight. Here are some yoga asanas and diet tips that can help you fight obesity.
Obesity can increase the risk of several chronic diseases
Obesity and being overweight is not only disadvantageous but it is also a dangerous condition. It can be linked to a number of health complications like type-2 diabetes, heart disease, depression, respiratory problems, cancer and more. It also leads to liver disease, gall bladder disease, strokes and can cause complications during pregnancy. There are over 1 billion overweight adults worldwide according to a 2020 study and obesity has reached epidemic proportions globally. Studies also found that about a third of the global population-including adults and children were overweight, of which 10% of people suffered from obesity.
If you or a loved one is obese or overweight, your weight loss should be focussed more on well-being, and overall health than rapid weight loss. Rapid weight loss could be unscientific, unhealthy and cause many harmful side effects. If you want to enjoy sustained weight loss, let your aim be to lead a more wholesome, and healthy lifestyle.
Running, swimming, walking, yoga, stair climbing etc. can all be the different ways you can boost your physical fitness. Choose any activity that is suitable for your physical fitness level. It should challenge you without exhausting you. Safe and gentle exercises like yoga can help you align your body and mind to your weight management goals. Weight loss is as much as a mental workout as it is a physical task.
BMI is, an index commonly used for classification of obesity. Over weight is defined as a BMI (or body mass index) greater than or equal to 25.0 & Obesity as a BMI greater than and equal to 30.0.
Common Reasons for Obesity
Yogic techniques include practices such as Pranayama, Meditation, Yoga asanas, and Mudras. Yoga not only helps in eradicating the problem of being overweight but also helps you manage your weight safely. Yoga is a tool that focuses on holistic wellness and works better for your body in the long term.
Meditation - Beej Dhyan/Aarambh Dhyan
The mind is very much like a fertile land where we plant the seeds of our thoughts, and actions for our life. For a plant to grow beautifully, it needs its share of sunlight, fertilizer, and water. Much like a plant, how we nurture our mind and our energies will be reflected in the way that we grow. Bheej Dhyan is the meditation technique that teaches us to pause in life. We can use this method to sow the seeds that can bring about great improvement in our life. Whether we want to start a new habit, change our response, or behaviour all depends on the mind.
Bheej Dhyan or Seed Meditation tests your auto response system. Reacting to life's circumstances in an unconscious manner can either be extremely favourable or unfavourable to your growth and personal success. Seed Meditation controls and transforms this automatic response system that lies within you.
Also read: Yoga for beginners
Chakrasana can help you fight belly fatPhoto Credit: iStock
1. Include Whole Grain - Bajra, Ragi, Maize and Jowar, are some examples of whole grain that you can eat. Try switching to a vegetarian diet. Whole grains provide the body with the energy to sustain and grow and is also a major source of all essential nutrients.
2. Consume Fruits and Vegetables - Ensure that you are including 3 servings of seasonal vegetables, and 2 servings of whole fruits per day. Vegetables and fruits provide both soluble and insoluble fibre in addition to vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
3. Eliminate Fatty Food- Stay away from Trans fats that comes in fast foods, snack food, fried foods and other processed food. Choose low fat milk, double toned and use different combinations of oil to get all essential fats.
4. Reduce your Sugar- Keep the intake of sugar to less than 10% of your total calories. If you are overweight or obese, it is recommended that less than 5% would be better for you.
5. Eat 3 balanced meals - It is important that you eat three balanced meals per day. Keep seasonal fruits aside for you to snack on.
Eat a balanced diet to maintain a healthy weightPhoto Credit: iStock
To create an obesity-free world, we need an increasing number of people to become more conscious about their health choices. This goal can be easily achieved by applying yogic techniques of Pranayama, Meditation, Yoga asanas, Mudras, and affirmations. Yoga not only helps in eradicating the problem of being overweight but also helps you manage your weight safely. This is a tool of holistic wellness and works better for your body in the long run.
Also read: Yoga for belly fat
(Grand Master Akshar is a Yoga Master, Spiritual Guide and Lifestyle Coach)
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.
- Fasting for Navratri? Here are some healthy and safe ways in which you can lose weight - The Indian Express - October 24th, 2020
- Freezing and Thawing Fresh Food: 8 Dos and Don'ts - Everyday Health - October 24th, 2020
- The 6 Types of Foods to Avoid With Ulcerative Colitis - Self - October 24th, 2020
- Brighter Bites Receives Walmart Foundation Grant to Expand Access to Fresh Produce and Nutrition Education Across Schools this Fall - PerishableNews - October 24th, 2020
- Tecate Pairs with Tamales in a Holiday Promotion Marking Mexican American Family Tradition - Abasto, Food and Beverage Industry News - October 24th, 2020
- 5 health benefits of aloe vera, from healing sunburn and reducing acne to helping with digestion - Insider - INSIDER - October 24th, 2020
- OPINION | Can tea really lower your blood sugar? - Health24 - October 24th, 2020
- 5 critical steps you can take to protect yourself from coronavirus and other infectious diseases - Times Now - October 24th, 2020
- Is intermittent fasting bad for you? These are the benefits and drawbacks of restrictive diets - and the healthiest way to lose weight explained - The... - October 21st, 2020
- Navratri Fasting Tips: 9 Expert-Recommended Foods That You Can Have Guilt-Free - NDTV - October 21st, 2020
- Tips to fast safely during this coronavirus pandemic - TheHealthSite - October 21st, 2020
- Everything you need to know about the diets loved by Zara McDermott, Jennifer Aniston and Gwyneth Paltrow - OK! magazine - October 21st, 2020
- Covid-19: Eating in the office cafeteria? Keep these pointers in mind - The Indian Express - October 21st, 2020
- Losing weight with fasting - Know what to eat during Navratri, tips, recipe to fast safely - Times Now - October 18th, 2020
- 9 of the best restaurants in Central Pa. for indoor dining during the pandemic: Mimis picks - PennLive - October 18th, 2020
- JODY HOLTON The doctor wants an A1C Test. What is it and why? - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - October 17th, 2020
- Harriette Cole: Im just out with my girls. Why doesnt he trust me? - The Mercury News - October 17th, 2020
- Navratri 2020: Puja timings, vrat tithi and foods! - Times of India - October 17th, 2020
- Preventing hidden hunger in the time of pandemic - Al Jazeera English - October 17th, 2020
- Artist Gina Adams exhibition, titled Its Honor is Hereby Pledged, on display at UNCPs A.D. Gallery - The Robesonian - October 17th, 2020
- Boyfriend may have trust issues - The Times and Democrat - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In Arlington Heights - Arlington Heights, IL Patch - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In New York - Yorktown, NY Patch - October 16th, 2020
- RECALL: 18 Brands of Dog Food Recalled by FDA Over Toxin Concerns - ourcommunitynow.com - October 16th, 2020
- Were We Mentally Ready for COVID-19? Why It's Time to Take Behavioral Health Seriously - - HIT Consultant - October 16th, 2020
- Oct. 14 COVID-19 update: 12 best strategies to stay healthy this fall and winter - Prescott Daily Courier - October 16th, 2020
- Gallbladder and Alcohol Consumption: What to Know - Healthline - October 16th, 2020
- What is intermittent fasting? Simple tips to do it safely - DNA India - October 7th, 2020
- Jenna Dewan Nails Her Response to Fans Asking for Her Postpartum Diet and Fitness Routine - E! Online - October 7th, 2020
- Food for thought: Breast cancer and nutrition - Coastal Courier - October 7th, 2020
- What liposuction is, and why it can make you thinner, but not thin - ZME Science - October 7th, 2020
- Diabetes And Covid-19: Expert Tips And Full-Day Diet Plan For Diabetics - NDTV Food - October 7th, 2020
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic October 2 - Medical News Today - October 7th, 2020
- Quick Breakfast Ideas: Prepare This Avocado Toast To Get A Dash Of Protein, Fibre And Good Fats - NDTV - October 7th, 2020
- Study Debunks Claim That This Popular Food Causes Inflammation - KYR News - October 7th, 2020
- The Top 10 Virtual Plant-Based Events You Don't Want To Miss - Plant Based News - October 1st, 2020
- How to gain weight quickly and safely - Netdoctor - October 1st, 2020
- Six commonly-eaten foods that can make you ill, and how to prepare and store them safely - Aberdeen Evening Express - October 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus Tips: Prevention and Safety For Everyday Life - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 1st, 2020
- 7 Bad Habits to Quit That Can Make You Feel Healthier Within Weeks - Chiang Rai Times - October 1st, 2020
- Understanding heart conditions and their warning signs - Times of Malta - October 1st, 2020
- Kidney Health and Ketoveyda: How Suraksha Naturals Is Addressing the Health Concerns of the Keto Community - PRNewswire - September 29th, 2020
- Eating right and playing well The Island - The Island.lk - September 29th, 2020
- Prebiotics 101: Discover Why Prebiotic Fiber Is The Most Important Thing Missing From Your Diet - CBS Houston - September 29th, 2020
- Amsterdam and Helsinki launch algorithm registries to bring transparency to public deployments of AI - Best gaming pro - September 29th, 2020
- How Safe is the 3 Day Cardiac Diet? - MedicineNet - September 23rd, 2020
- James Cracknell is running for five days without food to prove we don't need carbs - is he right? - Telegraph.co.uk - September 23rd, 2020
- Opinion | Going against the grain: Debunking celiac disease misconceptions - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - September 23rd, 2020
- Blue Origin gets ready to test its suborbital spaceship with COVID-19 safety in mind - GeekWire - September 23rd, 2020
- What We Miss Most About Going to the Movies - Collider.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Want to Lose Weight Running? Experts Explain How to Achieve Your Goals Faster (and Safely) - Yahoo! Voices - September 22nd, 2020
- The Best Fish Scalers to Clean Your Catch - Robb Report - September 22nd, 2020
- Heart Failure in Primary Care: Do's and Don't's - Medscape - September 22nd, 2020
- The good, the bad and the dietary: Making sense of cholesterol - Gaston Gazette - September 22nd, 2020
- Why can't I go into my child's school, what is happening with SQA Exams? North-east council release FAQ guide to help parents - Aberdeen Evening... - September 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19 threatens to increase cancer mortality The Cancer Letter - The Cancer Letter - September 22nd, 2020
- How to be second wave savvy and what not to repeat from the first lockdown - Telegraph.co.uk - September 22nd, 2020
- The good, the bad and the dietary: Making sense of cholesterol - Boonville Daily News - September 18th, 2020
- The 7 Health Benefits of Eating More Tofu, and How to Enjoy It - The Beet - September 18th, 2020
- Is VR the Future of Corporate Training? - Harvard Business Review - September 18th, 2020
- City seeking input on safety improvements to Linn Street in West End - WCPO - September 18th, 2020
- What is a 'reverse diet' and can it help you to maintain your goal weight? - Health24 - September 8th, 2020
- How to Use Public Transit Safely During the Pandemic - One Green Planet - September 8th, 2020
- Brits ignore PMs diet plea as spending on takeaways surges - City A.M. - September 8th, 2020
- Healthy success for Pocklington-based slimming consultant - Pocklington Post - September 8th, 2020
- Tips on how to stay safe and not spread COVID-19 on this Labor Day Weekend - Berkeleyside - September 8th, 2020
- Dr. Pimple Popper cut open a 'bubble wrap' growth the size of a grapefruit on a patient's back - Business Insider India - September 6th, 2020
- Vancouver teacher praises benefits of taking kids outside of classroom to learn - CBC.ca - September 6th, 2020
- From a bald budgie to a fat goldfish your pet queries answered - The Sun - September 6th, 2020
- 'Gross cruelty' towards the consignment of sheep and cattle headed for the Middle East - IOL - September 6th, 2020
- How Much Weight Loss Can You Achieve In Three Months? - Women's Health - September 5th, 2020
- These simulations show how face shields and valved masks allow clouds of respiratory droplets to escape - Business Insider India - September 5th, 2020
- My ex just admitted he avoided sex because he has erectile dysfunction. Was I wrong to end things over our lac - Business Insider India - September 5th, 2020
- Anxious with anticipation? | News, Sports, Jobs - The Sentinel - Lewistown Sentinel - September 5th, 2020
- Vegetarians suffer from iron deficiency anaemia and other myths about the micronutrient deficiency busted - Times Now - September 5th, 2020
- Understanding the hidden risks of recreational marijuana - Houston Chronicle - September 4th, 2020
- Debunking the soy-estrogen problem and other soy myths - ZME Science - September 4th, 2020
- The Foods 5 Famous Chefs Never Leave the Grocery Store Without - Yahoo! Voices - September 4th, 2020
- The 8 Best Diet Plans Sustainability, Weight Loss, and More - September 1st, 2020
- Column: Be smart and safe when trying to lose weight during coronavirus pandemic - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - September 1st, 2020