Kimmy was dramatically overweight at 3st 4lbs (Picture: Caters News)
Kimmy the 16-year-old beagle was once a stray who ate out of rubbish bins.
When she was adopted by Caitlin Brink, 27, from South Carolina, Kimmy quickly got used to her more luxurious lifestyle and became more than a little lazy.
The dog piled on the pounds, eventually weighing in at a whopping 3st 4lbs.
Kimmy was so tubby she couldnt jump on the sofa, scratch her belly, or even lick herself.
She had a huge appetite and had no shame in barking at people until they gave her treats.
Caitlin initially thought the excess fat was cute, but as Kimmy kept having to be carried on her daily walks, she realised it was time to make a change.
Caitlin said: I will admit I was ignorant to how harmful the excess weight was to her at the time.
I thought she was such a cute little chunk.
Initially, I spoilt her with treats and more treats until I started to actually note how she wasnt really living a quality life.
Thats when I realised obesity isnt cute.
Caitlin started taking Kimmy out for longer walks, but this made little difference.
Caitlin said: We used to live on the third floor of our apartment complex and she couldnt even make it two floors before needing a break.
During a walk, she could manage ten feet of following her nose and then struggling to pant in the first patch of shade she could waddle to.
She couldnt be a dog and it was devastating to see.
I then realised exercise wasnt the most important part of her transformation. I had to look to her diet and caloric intake.
First, Kimmys portions were limited, but it took over a year for her to drop 7lbs.
When Caitlin discovere the raw diet, everything changed.
She said: I discovered a raw diet and have never looked back.
We saw results within the first week.
Feeding raw is not for every dog, but Kimmy thrives.
It was a lot of hard work in the beginning as we had to measuring out her meals and make sure it had all the right supplements and nutrients to be balanced.
We even bought her her own chest freezer to keep her meals fresh and so we could stock up on meat and organs.
Meals consist of 80% protein, 5% liver, 5% other secreting organ and 10% bone balanced over three days.
Fruits and vegetables, eggs and the occasional non-raw treats are added as needed and supplements to ensure she received all her needed nutrients.
Kimmy now weighs a healthy 1st 2lbs and is absolutely thriving.
Her coat became shinier, better breath, her teeth health improved as the bone meals helped naturally scrape off years of tarter build up, Caitlin said.
Her energy levels were like none seen before and finding the diet that best suited her gave me a new dog.
The raw diet has ultimately saved her life.
She has maintained a healthy weight and has a lot of energy to continue to follow her nose and get into all sorts of trouble.
Do you have a story to share?
Get in touch by emailing MetroLifestyleTeam@Metro.co.uk.
MORE : Dog found 300 miles away reunited with family after eight years
MORE : Taiwanese airline launches a speed dating flight to nowhere
MORE : Drinking coffee from disposable cups could be seriously bad for you as you swallow microplastics
Go here to read the rest:
Obese beagle goes on raw diet and loses two stone - Metro.co.uk
- Tips to help families navigate the growing problem of childhood obesity - KESQ - December 1st, 2020
- 10.7% of 10- to 17-year-olds in New York are obese, study finds - The Center Square - December 1st, 2020
- 20.4% of 10- to 17-year-olds in Tennessee are obese, study finds - The Center Square - December 1st, 2020
- Food Insecurity Increasingly Tied to Obesity in the United States - Food Tank - December 1st, 2020
- Transomics analysis reveals allosteric and gene regulation axes for altered hepatic glucose-responsive metabolism in obesity - Science - December 1st, 2020
- Rhythm Pharmaceuticals Announces FDA Approval of IMCIVREE (setmelanotide) as First-ever Therapy for Chronic Weight Management in Patients with Obesity... - December 1st, 2020
- PCOS and diabetes risk increases with obesity here's how they affect fertility in women - Firstpost - December 1st, 2020
- Higher COVID-19 Risk Leading More Patients With Obesity To Weight Loss Surgery - CBS Boston - November 26th, 2020
- Shift in language to help reduce obesity stigma - WA Health - November 26th, 2020
- Anti-Obesity Day 2020: Simple ways to eat smart and beat weight gain - The Indian Express - November 26th, 2020
- DDRC DIVING AND OBESITY SURVEY - DIVE Magazine - November 26th, 2020
- The Link Between Obesity and Puberty - Michigan Medicine - November 25th, 2020
- Evaluating Innovative Health Care Solutions for Obesity - Harvard Business Review - November 25th, 2020
- Researchers Discover Hormone That Can Curb Appetite and Help Deal With Obesity - Science Times - November 25th, 2020
- Gut hormone that regulates fat found abnormal in obesity - India New England - November 25th, 2020
- Research shows bariatric surgery may reduce severity of Covid-19 in patients with obesity - Hindustan Times - November 25th, 2020
- More Obese Patients Seeking Weight Loss Surgery To Reduce COVID-19 Risk - CBS Boston - November 25th, 2020
- Obesity is still on the rise among American adults - Harvard Health - Harvard Health - November 25th, 2020
- Association Between Clogged Arteries and Body Size Phenotype? Study Finds, It Varies - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 25th, 2020
- Parents' wake up call as obesity and sunburn risks rise - Daily Mercury - November 25th, 2020
- Executive summary: learning from local authorities with downward trends in childhood obesity - GOV.UK - November 25th, 2020
- Study: Gut hormones' regulation of fat production abnormal in obesity, fatty liver disease - University of Illinois News - November 25th, 2020
- Brands call for alternatives to online junk food ads ban - The Guardian - November 25th, 2020
- As Obesity Soars, a Mayo Clinic DNA Study May Have Cracked The Cause - Observer - November 22nd, 2020
- Looking at the unintended consequences of obesity campaigns - Contemporary Pediatrics - November 22nd, 2020
- In Those With Obesity, Will Losing Weight Cut COVID-19 Severity? - Medscape - November 22nd, 2020
- Pupil measurements accelerated amid fears of obesity crisis - The Independent - November 22nd, 2020
- Bay Area is home to two of the least sinful cities in the U.S. - The Mercury News - November 22nd, 2020
- Epidemiological and immunological features of obesity and SARS-CoV-2 - DocWire News - November 22nd, 2020
- Obesity does not adversely impact the outcome of unicompartmental knee arthroplasty for osteoarthritis: a meta-analysis of 80,798 subjects - DocWire... - November 22nd, 2020
- Obesity Linked to Higher Risk of Covid-19 Infection - Contagionlive.com - November 22nd, 2020
- Horse vet gives fresh scoop on the equine obesity epidemic - Horsetalk - November 22nd, 2020
- New podcast episode from Morris Animal Foundation highlights the equine obesity epidemic - EQUUS Magazine - November 22nd, 2020
- Effects of Body Mass Index on Peri-operative Outcomes in Patients Undergoing Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion Surgery - DocWire News - November 22nd, 2020
- Nearly 4 billion people likely to be overweight, 1.5 million obese by 2050 with current diet trends - Times Now - November 22nd, 2020
- Not only obesity, but these 4 common reasons also cause bloating again and again - Pledge Times - November 22nd, 2020
- LETTER - We need to give direction rather than negative comments over obesity - Daily Echo - November 22nd, 2020
- States Where People Live the Longest - 24/7 Wall St. - November 22nd, 2020
- Rescues of severely obese people by firefighters are rising rapidly in Leicestershire - Leicestershire Live - November 22nd, 2020
- Preventing Obesity - Johns Hopkins Hospital - November 3rd, 2020
- Medical Treatment for Obesity | Johns Hopkins Medicine - November 3rd, 2020
- High Cholesterol: The Johns Hopkins Digestive Weight Loss ... - November 3rd, 2020
- Intensive Behavioral Therapy for Obesity | Johns Hopkins ... - November 3rd, 2020
- Medical Nutrition Therapy for Weight Loss | Johns Hopkins ... - November 3rd, 2020
- Obesity on the rise among reception-aged children in England, statistics show - Yahoo Sports - November 3rd, 2020
- Obesity increasing in U.S. adults, CDC report finds - Reading Eagle - November 3rd, 2020
- Experience of Patients with Obesity in Contacts with Medical Professio | PPA - Dove Medical Press - November 3rd, 2020
- Weight Reduction Surgery Associated With Reduced Risk of Second Heart Attack in Obese Patients - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - November 3rd, 2020
- Both partners' BMI in couples hoping to conceive has an effect on time to pregnancy - ESHRE - November 3rd, 2020
- NICE recommends new treatment option for adults with obesity and non-diabetic hyperglycaemia who have a high risk of cardiovascular disease - NICE - November 3rd, 2020
- More than one in five Year 6 children in Bedford are obese - Bedford Today - November 3rd, 2020
- Income-related inequities of adult obesity and central obesity in China: evidence from the China Health and Nutrition Survey 1997-2011. - DocWire News - November 3rd, 2020
- Almost one in five Year 6 children in Bracknell Forest are obese - Bracknell News - November 3rd, 2020
- Rhythm Pharmaceuticals Announces Publication of Results from Phase 3 Clinical Trials of Setmelanotide in The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology -... - November 3rd, 2020
- The kids aren't all right: COVID-19-fueled stress eating, inequities, lack of fitness expected to boost obesity, experts say - USA TODAY - October 18th, 2020
- Hispanics live longer than most Americans, but will the US obesity epidemic change things? - The Conversation US - October 18th, 2020
- Obesity in children on the rise due to remote learning, study shows - WWLTV.com - October 18th, 2020
- How the pandemic is boosting the risk of childhood obesity WHYY - WHYY - October 18th, 2020
- Risk of severe Covid-19 high for obese people, regardless of other factors - Health24 - October 18th, 2020
- The COVID-19 pandemic emphasizes the need to manage patient obesity - Medical Economics - October 18th, 2020
- Learn About the Advice From FIGO on Obesity | Figo - International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics - October 18th, 2020
- Bariatric Surgery Associated with 3-Year Increase in Life Expectancy for Obese Patients - Endocrinology Network - October 18th, 2020
- funded study links adolescent brain differences to increased waist circumference - National Institutes of Health - October 18th, 2020
- National Pet Obesity Awareness Day puts spotlight on keeping furry friends at a healthy weight - KING5.com - October 18th, 2020
- Studies Begin to Untangle Obesitys Role in Covid-19 - The New York Times - September 29th, 2020
- Covid-19 has killed more people than obesity in the UK this year - Full Fact - September 29th, 2020
- Relation found between AMI and obesity < Hospital < - KBR - Korea Biomedical Review - September 29th, 2020
- Long-term impact of obesity on patient-reported outcomes and patient satisfaction after lumbar spine surgery: an observational study. - Physician's... - September 29th, 2020
- Recovered Covid patients just cant stop eating - The New Indian Express - September 29th, 2020
- Wellness Expert James Hill Says Healthy Is More Than Weight Loss - Healthline - September 29th, 2020
- Weight Gain Linked to Later Life Incident VTE - MD Magazine - September 29th, 2020
- 18 Percent Of Americans Don't Have Enough To Eat, Which Makes Them...Obese? - Science 2.0 - September 29th, 2020
- Food insecurity in the US increasingly linked to obesity - Medical News Today - September 28th, 2020
- U.S. Adult Obesity Rate Hits Highest Rate Ever Recorded - Club Industry - September 28th, 2020
- Mission: Readiness ties obesity to national security - News - Times Record - September 28th, 2020
- The Intersection Of Obesity, COVID-19, Social Justice And Mental Health - Club Industry - September 28th, 2020
- Experience of Polish Patients with Obesity in Contacts with Medical Pr | PPA - Dove Medical Press - September 28th, 2020
- Cleveland Clinic Study Identifies Weight-Loss Threshold for Cardiovascular and Survival Benefits in Patients with Obesity and Diabetes - Health... - September 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus pandemic could impact cancer rates and care in the future - WKTV - September 28th, 2020
- An obese heart is a silent risk - The Hippocratic Post - September 28th, 2020