By Karen Stokes
Andre Lee Ellis
Community activist, Andre Lee Ellis has experienced the highs and lows of health. Hes learned first-hand the importance of diet, exercise and education to improve health and the consequences of not seeing your doctor.
Ellis now 59-years-old has had mild heart attacks since he was 47.
Ive never had a bad one, I always got to the hospital in time, Ellis said. It was devastating when I learned that they had to open up my chest, plus put something on my heart. Then I did the research and saw all the successful surgeries that doctors do because I trust my doctors especially at Ascension Columbia-St. Marys. Im great now and I think Im getting better. I think we should talk to our doctors. My physician, Dr. Ofonime Essien cares. Hes a friend to his patients. He tells it like it is.
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention say African Americans ages 18-49 are two times more likely to die from heart disease than whites. African Americans ages 35-64 years are 50 percent more likely to have high blood pressure than whites.
According to an article in the Harvard Business Review there are several factors that contribute to these health disparities, but one problem has been a lack of diversity among physicians. African Americans make up 13 percent of the U.S. population, but only four percent of U.S. doctors and less than seven percent of U.S. medical students.
Initially Ellis went to the doctor because he was tired, was urinating frequently and no matter how much he ate, he was still hungry. He discovered that those were symptoms related to diabetes. That same day Ellis was diagnosed with diabetes, congestive heart failure and high blood pressure.
People with congestive heart failure live for about five years after diagnosis. Its been 12 for me. God is good, Ellis said.
Recently, African American director John Singleton died at age 51 after having a stroke. Strokes are often associated with uncontrolled high blood pressure. In an article in Scientific American.com, John Singletons family has publicly asked Black men to take better care of themselves by getting their blood pressure checked and treated.
I think Black men should go to the doctor more, they should get annual physicals because of our diets, because of our DNA, said Ellis. Our community needs to be educated and not fear going to the doctor.
Life changes include diet. Its the salt and sugar, we eat. I feel good when I eat a boiled egg for breakfast, a piece of whole grain toast with no butter and I can add a cup of fruit. You have to have a meal plan. I like salmon. Salmon is best for people with diabetes and heart disease, he said. We need to watch what we drink, I like alkaline water with lemon, mint leaves and cucumbers.
Alkaline water restores pH balance by reducing acidity levels in the body. Another life change is exercise. Whether going to the gym or walking, exercise can enhance your health.
Moving around helps. I need a workout regimen. I think Ill get a treadmill in the house so I can workout everyday, Ellis said. All my life Ive not been sick then I hit 47, then Im sick and thats why I ask all men, have youve been checked out. Many say theyve never been to the doctor, I tell them thats bad.
If youre 50 years old and you never had a physical, you need a physical. If youre 40 years old and you never had a physical, you need a physical. If youre 30 years old and you never had a physical, you need a physical. If youre 20 years old and you never had a physical, you need a physical, said Ellis.
- Why I Exercise (And Why You Should Too) - Curetoday.com - January 20th, 2020
- Weight loss: Woman reveals simple diet plan she used to drop more than six stone - Express - January 20th, 2020
- Adele's Trainer Revealed The Diet Behind Her Weight Loss - Delish - January 20th, 2020
- Small Diet Changes and a Push-Pull-Legs Routine Helped This Guy Drop 50 Pounds - menshealth.com - January 20th, 2020
- Weight Loss Drug Belviq May Be Associated With Cancer, FDA Says - Everyday Health - January 20th, 2020
- I eat only strangers' leftover food and it's the best diet I've ever had - The Guardian - January 20th, 2020
- This Is Shakiras Diet And Exercise Routine For Presentation In The Super Bowl - Code List - January 20th, 2020
- Why youre waking up at the same time every night, and how your diet can help you to sort your sleep, TONIGHT - woman&home - January 20th, 2020
- Type 2 diabetes: The sign in your shoulder that could signal the chronic condition - Express - January 20th, 2020
- Blue Monday and the nine drug-free ways to boost your frame of mind - Telegraph.co.uk - January 20th, 2020
- Dementia care: This alternative exercise may reduce your risk of developing condition - Express - January 20th, 2020
- How to get rid of visceral fat: The simple 10-week exercise proven to reduce belly fat - Express - January 20th, 2020
- Transformation Tuesdays! Sophia's inspiring journey on the keto diet - Who - January 20th, 2020
- Horoscope today: Here are the astrological predictions for January 21 - Mumbai Mirror - January 20th, 2020
- Top five boxers we could learn from their training regime - WBN - World Boxing News - January 20th, 2020
- The Project's Jesse Mulligan embarks on 'path to hotness' in 2020 - Newshub - January 20th, 2020
- How to lose visceral fat: Consume these three drinks to reduce the harmful belly fat - Express - January 20th, 2020
- Lose Weight & Get Fit with Tom Kerridge: Brothers in-law lose 17lb in one week - how? - Express - January 16th, 2020
- Sirtfood diet linked to Adele transformation: Does it work? - Fox Business - January 16th, 2020
- New year, new you: Could intermittent fasting be the key to weight loss? - WKYC.com - January 16th, 2020
- Nutrition: Joe Wicks on why you shouldn't try restrictive dieting this Janaury - The Irish News - January 16th, 2020
- Seven Ways to Fortify Your Wellbeing in 2020 and Beyond - Thrive Global - January 16th, 2020
- Stop worrying about diets and detoxes: here's how to be 'healthy enough' - Telegraph.co.uk - January 16th, 2020
- Fitness: A healthy and well-timed diet fuels muscles of master athletes - Montreal Gazette - January 16th, 2020
- 6 Healthy habits that also help you hit your weight-loss goals - All4Women - January 16th, 2020
- Why We Make (and Break) New Years Resolutions, and 4 Tips to Help You Achieve Your Goals - Newswise - January 16th, 2020
- The #1 Health Move to Make in 2020 - LVHN News - January 16th, 2020
- Food: Joe Wicks on why you shouldn't try restrictive dieting this January - The National - January 16th, 2020
- Lose weight with the Paleo diet: everything you need to know - T3 - January 16th, 2020
- The problem with talking about your 'naughty' afternoon snack at work - The Age - January 16th, 2020
- Jillian Michaels Shares Rare Photo Taken Before Her Fitness Journey and Fame - msnNOW - January 16th, 2020
- POLL: Research shows 3-in-4 people quit health kicks last year - are you trying to lose weight? - Evening Telegraph - January 16th, 2020
- Health and wellness: Everything you need to know about bone health - Indulgexpress - January 16th, 2020
- Weight loss: You can lose 3 kgs in a week with this diet plan - Times of India - January 12th, 2020
- The DASH diet is one of the healthiest ways to eat - INSIDER - January 12th, 2020
- Emma Willis health: TV star reveals what caused her illness and how she treated it - Express - January 12th, 2020
- These 5 healthy habits help put chronic conditions on hold - Clinical Daily News - McKnight's Long Term Care News - January 12th, 2020
- Failing New Year's Resolutions Need a Monday Reset - Healthline - January 12th, 2020
- How to lose visceral fat: Best oil to cook with if you want to reduce harmful belly fat - Express - January 12th, 2020
- Screen time minutes are the new calories, and its high time I went on a diet - The Guardian - January 12th, 2020
- Austin Mahone's Diet and Fitness Routine - menshealth.com - January 12th, 2020
- John Cope: Colorectal cancer is preventable and treatable - Brattleboro Reformer - January 12th, 2020
- Dietitians' Advice for Weight Loss and Healthy Eating - LIVESTRONG.COM - January 12th, 2020
- Six beauty products to use while exercising | Style - The Times - January 12th, 2020
- The longest-lived people run on a high-carb diet, and it's a big part of their secret to living to 100 - INSIDER - January 12th, 2020
- Food: Joe Wicks on why you shouldn't try restrictive dieting this January - HeraldScotland - January 12th, 2020
- How to avoid the Dry January failure triggers and stay booze-free all month - Telegraph.co.uk - January 12th, 2020
- Joe Wicks on why you shouldn't try restrictive dieting this January - Irish Examiner - January 12th, 2020
- 'I Did Whole30 After Having My Son And Got My Body And CrossFit Strength Back' - Women's Health - January 12th, 2020
- Kylie Jenner's Diet Isn't As Healthy As We Thought And We're Loving It - Sahiwal Tv - January 12th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting Offers Benefits Beyond Weight Loss, Article Suggests - Everyday Health - January 12th, 2020
- Exercise books are 'old fashioned' and paperless schools are the future, leading headmistress says - Telegraph.co.uk - January 12th, 2020
- Joe Wicks On Why You Should Avoid Crash Diets - Coach - January 7th, 2020
- Creating healthy habits for 2020: Health Matters - cleveland.com - January 7th, 2020
- Long working hours and too much screen time are taking a toll on Indians well-being - Scroll.in - January 7th, 2020
- Bipasha Basu Birthday Special: Workout and Diet of Bollywood Actress That Makes Her One of the Fittest - LatestLY - January 7th, 2020
- Looking into the eyes for early signs of Alzheimers disease - The Boston Globe - January 7th, 2020
- Couple Turns Tragedy Into Triumph by Giving Back to UK in Honor of Their Sons - UKNow - January 7th, 2020
- How to lose visceral fat: Cut back on these types of drinks to reduce harmful belly fat - Express - January 7th, 2020
- Mapped By State: Half U.S. Population Will Be Obese By 2030 - Moguldom - January 7th, 2020
- Farxiga Gets Priority Review for Heart Failure Indication - Monthly Prescribing Reference - January 7th, 2020
- Don't make a new year's resolution in January - Fast Company - January 7th, 2020
- Medical Conditions That Can Cause Weight Gain - Bioidentical Hormone Health - January 7th, 2020
- Having a family chat is of more use than a costly home DNA test - IOL - January 7th, 2020
- Sobriety is the new calorie counting and it's becoming toxic - Stuff.co.nz - January 7th, 2020
- Lose weight, save money with these nutrition tips - NEWS.com.au - January 7th, 2020
- A high-calorie diet may lead to overeating and obesity due to disruption of body clock - Times Now - January 7th, 2020
- Exam Stress by Shreya Karuman, The Kingston Academy - Your Local Guardian - January 7th, 2020
- Detox science: How to boost the body's natural detoxification system - Inverse - January 7th, 2020
- Metabolic switching may be the key to weight loss and good health - Firstpost - January 7th, 2020
- Pledge to be more healthy in 2020 with realistic health resolutions - TheHealthSite - January 7th, 2020
- Focus on Healthy Habits and Realistic Goals to Lose Weight in the New Year - PGH City Paper - January 4th, 2020
- A Utah truck driver learns that successful weight loss requires more than diet and exercise - Mash Viral - January 4th, 2020
- Exercising more and saving money are the most popular 2020 New Year's Resolutions - YouGov US - January 4th, 2020
- Mirror Book Club: Best diet and fitness books this week to aid New Year resolutions - Mirror Online - January 4th, 2020
- What is the Blood Type Diet and does it work? - ABC News - January 4th, 2020
- One change makes it more likely you will stick to a diet or fitness plan - Wales Online - January 4th, 2020
- Taylor Swift's Leg Workout Includes All of Her Favorite Things - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 4th, 2020
- 14 Proven Ways to Lose Weight Without Exercise in 2020, According to Experts - Prevention.com - January 4th, 2020
- Opinion: Science can help you stick to your New Year's resolutions - The Globe and Mail - January 4th, 2020