By Karen Stokes
Andre Lee Ellis
Community activist, Andre Lee Ellis has experienced the highs and lows of health. Hes learned first-hand the importance of diet, exercise and education to improve health and the consequences of not seeing your doctor.
Ellis now 59-years-old has had mild heart attacks since he was 47.
Ive never had a bad one, I always got to the hospital in time, Ellis said. It was devastating when I learned that they had to open up my chest, plus put something on my heart. Then I did the research and saw all the successful surgeries that doctors do because I trust my doctors especially at Ascension Columbia-St. Marys. Im great now and I think Im getting better. I think we should talk to our doctors. My physician, Dr. Ofonime Essien cares. Hes a friend to his patients. He tells it like it is.
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention say African Americans ages 18-49 are two times more likely to die from heart disease than whites. African Americans ages 35-64 years are 50 percent more likely to have high blood pressure than whites.
According to an article in the Harvard Business Review there are several factors that contribute to these health disparities, but one problem has been a lack of diversity among physicians. African Americans make up 13 percent of the U.S. population, but only four percent of U.S. doctors and less than seven percent of U.S. medical students.
Initially Ellis went to the doctor because he was tired, was urinating frequently and no matter how much he ate, he was still hungry. He discovered that those were symptoms related to diabetes. That same day Ellis was diagnosed with diabetes, congestive heart failure and high blood pressure.
People with congestive heart failure live for about five years after diagnosis. Its been 12 for me. God is good, Ellis said.
Recently, African American director John Singleton died at age 51 after having a stroke. Strokes are often associated with uncontrolled high blood pressure. In an article in Scientific American.com, John Singletons family has publicly asked Black men to take better care of themselves by getting their blood pressure checked and treated.
I think Black men should go to the doctor more, they should get annual physicals because of our diets, because of our DNA, said Ellis. Our community needs to be educated and not fear going to the doctor.
Life changes include diet. Its the salt and sugar, we eat. I feel good when I eat a boiled egg for breakfast, a piece of whole grain toast with no butter and I can add a cup of fruit. You have to have a meal plan. I like salmon. Salmon is best for people with diabetes and heart disease, he said. We need to watch what we drink, I like alkaline water with lemon, mint leaves and cucumbers.
Alkaline water restores pH balance by reducing acidity levels in the body. Another life change is exercise. Whether going to the gym or walking, exercise can enhance your health.
Moving around helps. I need a workout regimen. I think Ill get a treadmill in the house so I can workout everyday, Ellis said. All my life Ive not been sick then I hit 47, then Im sick and thats why I ask all men, have youve been checked out. Many say theyve never been to the doctor, I tell them thats bad.
If youre 50 years old and you never had a physical, you need a physical. If youre 40 years old and you never had a physical, you need a physical. If youre 30 years old and you never had a physical, you need a physical. If youre 20 years old and you never had a physical, you need a physical, said Ellis.
- Fitness App Market Research Report by Function, by Type - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance UK - July 30th, 2020
- The Vamps James McVey on past unhealthy obsession with extreme diet' - Metro.co.uk - July 30th, 2020
- The world's longest-living people share this hobbywhy studies say it can help add years to your life - CNBC - July 30th, 2020
- Essentials of Healthy Eating: A Guide - The African Exponent - July 30th, 2020
- Combating Age-Related Arthritis In Pets - longislandweekly.com - July 30th, 2020
- Push-Ups: Strengthen Your Push-Ups With These 6 Body Weight Exercises - Doctor NDTV - July 30th, 2020
- 9 Things to Consider When You Start a New Weight Loss Regime - StyleNest - July 30th, 2020
- Eating These Two Things May Be Ruining Your Workout Progress, Study Says - MSN Money - July 30th, 2020
- Stay Healthy When Working From Home: Ditch These 5 Mistakes Today - Doctor NDTV - July 30th, 2020
- Stomach bloating: Best exercises and food to help relieve your bloated stomach - Express - July 30th, 2020
- The nutrients that boost immunity - Times of India - July 30th, 2020
- What needs to change in Trafford to reverse rise in coronavirus cases - Manchester Evening News - July 30th, 2020
- Every day advice to keep on top of cellulite - Northwich Guardian - July 30th, 2020
- Calorie counting will kill our restaurants and it doesn't even work - Telegraph.co.uk - July 30th, 2020
- Mum burned belly fat in just 16 weeks - here's the weight loss workout she swears by - Daily Star - July 30th, 2020
- Talent Talk: How to Lose Weight and Write a Better Resume - Plastics Today - July 28th, 2020
- TikTok is proof that we can't outrun toxic diet culture - Queen's Journal - July 28th, 2020
- Gamecocks' Urich is making a difference on and off the field - WLTX.com - July 28th, 2020
- The Real Life Diet of Kilian Jornet, Who Dominates 100-Mile Ultramarathons and Runs Up The World's Highest Mountains - GQ - July 28th, 2020
- What Is the Mayr Method Diet? Breaking Down Rebel Wilson's Reported Weight Loss Program - GoodHousekeeping.com - July 28th, 2020
- Regularly Eating Chocolate Is Linked to an 8 Percent Lower Heart Attack Risk - Everyday Health - July 28th, 2020
- Back pain diet - the cheap breakfast fruit to protect against lower backache - Express - July 28th, 2020
- I Eat A High-Protein, High-Vegetable Diet To Help With My Prediabetes And PCOS Symptoms - Women's Health - July 28th, 2020
- The scoop on salt and exercise - The Crag and Canyon - July 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus | An opportunity to reshape health care - The Hindu - July 28th, 2020
- The most common bone fractures and tips on preventing them - Chicago Daily Herald - July 28th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: these tips for beach body weight loss are safe and achievable - T3 - July 28th, 2020
- 5 health benefits of running and how you can get started - Insider - INSIDER - July 28th, 2020
- Mother Accused In Shooting Death Of 2-Year-Old Daughter - Milwaukee, WI Patch - July 28th, 2020
- Dr Michael Mosley: 'Our son had COVID-19 and this is how we avoided transmission' - 9Coach - July 28th, 2020
- Doctor's top six tips on how to lead a healthy lifestyle | ITV News - ITV News - July 28th, 2020
- If you are stuck indoors this is how you can take good care of your digestive health - The Indian Express - July 28th, 2020
- The vast majority of Australians (77%) 'feel well and in good health' - Roy Morgan Research - July 28th, 2020
- Plant-based diets are great for high blood pressure even if you cheat - SlashGear - July 26th, 2020
- Self-help for atrial fibrillation - Harvard Health - Harvard Health - July 26th, 2020
- How to Tackle IBS with Food | University of Michigan - Michigan Medicine - July 26th, 2020
- 6 Health Tips For Women In Their 40's - NDTV Doctor - July 26th, 2020
- 'Getting Sober And Seeking Mental Health Treatment Were Crucial First Steps In My Weight-Loss Journey' - Women's Health - July 26th, 2020
- Fighting the good fight - Deccan Herald - July 26th, 2020
- Researchers find increased blood sugar levels likely to decrease benefits of aerobic exercise - Devdiscourse - July 26th, 2020
- What to eat in a day on a DASH diet to reduce risk of cardiovascular disease and improve heart health - Times Now - July 26th, 2020
- Best Ayurvedic beauty products in the UK for 2020 - Mirror Online - July 26th, 2020
- Fitness: Need motivation to get moving? There's an app for that - Peace River Record Gazette - July 26th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: 7 tips for weight loss that are safe and achievable - T3 - July 26th, 2020
- Nick Wright: 'LeBron James Beard Reminds That He Is Old But Bigger, Stronger And Faster' - Fadeaway World - July 26th, 2020
- Keto diet: fastest way to lose weight without starving - The Observer - July 26th, 2020
- Federal Officers In Milwaukee Is 'Taste Of Things To Come' - Patch.com - July 26th, 2020
- The Best Time of Day to Eat Carbs - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - July 26th, 2020
- Fit for Life: Lose the Quarantine 15 - Here Is How - GoLocalProv - July 26th, 2020
- Arthritis - the easy exercise to protect against the joint pain condition - Express - July 26th, 2020
- What type of exercise is right for you? Studying twins may give us an answer - The Independent - July 20th, 2020
- Cancer is leading cause of death in Taipei for 48 years - - July 20th, 2020
- Diabetes significantly increases the risk of developing dementia - Open Access Government - July 20th, 2020
- Five Exercises To Keep Yourself Charged For The Entire Day | Exercises to keep yourself charged - Andhrawishesh - July 20th, 2020
- 'It's not worth it': Young women on how TikTok has warped their body image - NBC News - July 20th, 2020
- Youre Not Alone if the Pandemic Has Made Your Relationship With Food Difficult and Confusing - Well+Good - July 20th, 2020
- Here's Your Guide To Maintaining Good Posture; Know Some Tips To Combat The Side Effects Of Prolonged Sitting - Doctor NDTV - July 20th, 2020
- Keeping your pre-lockdown schedule is important - THE WEEK - July 20th, 2020
- Crucial keto diet trick to boost results of the weight loss plan - do this before meals - Express - July 20th, 2020
- From beating the fear of gyms to obsessing over fad diets, how three women overcame challenges to finally - The Sun - July 20th, 2020
- The Indian thali is great for building immunity: Celeb nutritionist Pooja Makhija - The Indian Express - July 20th, 2020
- 6 ways to lower your blood sugar naturally - Insider - INSIDER - July 20th, 2020
- The Effects of Doing the Plank Exercise Every Day - LIVESTRONG.COM - July 20th, 2020
- Do you have prediabetes? Take this test to gauge your risk and prevent type 2 diabetes - Business Insider India - July 20th, 2020
- The Revolution for Black America Must Also Happen Within our Community Free Press of Jacksonville - Jacksonville Free Press - July 20th, 2020
- How to live longer - the simple and exotic diet plan to prevent an early death - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Does Diet And Gut Bacteria Contribute To Arteries Aging? - Anti Aging News - July 7th, 2020
- Causes of Constipation and How to Relieve Constipation - LIVESTRONG.COM - July 7th, 2020
- Mark Wahlberg Was Only Supposed to Be Plant-Based for 12 Days. Now Its His Lifestyle. - menshealth.com - July 7th, 2020
- Me and my health: Lady Mary Peters on her lifestyle - Belfast Telegraph - July 7th, 2020
- Justin Bieber Posts Birthday Tribute to Post Malone While Remembering Breonna Taylor on the 4th of July - Billboard - July 7th, 2020
- Our Opinion: Proceed with care in opening schools - Greensboro News & Record - July 7th, 2020
- Weight loss: This Morning host Holly Willoughby stays in shape with simple trick - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Morning fitness challenge: Begin your day with this exercise to stay fit and healthy - Times Now - July 7th, 2020
- What you need to know about the lymphatic system the new frontier of wellness - Telegraph.co.uk - July 7th, 2020
- Trump administration vows to work 'hand in hand' with local governments to reopen schools amid coronavirus - Fox News - July 7th, 2020
- How NFL offensive linemen escape the 5,000-calorie lunch and transform in retirement - ESPN - July 7th, 2020
- Can eating chocolates make you fat? Here is a fact-check - Times of India - July 7th, 2020
- Shirtless Justin Bieber calls on people to amp up their fitness routines: Gonna go hard this month - PINKVILLA - July 7th, 2020
- LSHTM to play key role in ground-breaking new study into long-term health impacts of coronavirus - Mirage News - July 7th, 2020