Navratri fasting: Makhanas are a commonly consumed snacked during the festival
Fasting is the essence of Navratri, a festival which is widely celebrated across the country. The idea behind fasting during this festival is also linked to cleansing or detoxing your body with the right food. Eating too much fried or salty foods is thus not advised. Not only does it defy the whole purpose of fasting, but also affects your health negatively, along with causing weight gain. Celeb nutritionist Rujuta Diwekar recently took to Instagram to talk about a few diet tips that can take you a long way in terms of maintaining your health during and after Navratri.
In the caption of her Insta post, Diwekar talks about how Navratri meals, if followed in the right pattern, can empower women with nutrients that can make them physically stronger and also create a hormonal balance.
Your daily diet should include dried fruits, nuts, milk and paneer. These foods are all rich sources of protein, can be safely included in weight loss diet, help you build muscles and prevent any wear and tear in the body.
All of these foods are traditionally eaten as part of Navratri fasting. Tuber veggies like potato and sweet potato provide energy to the body and help in easing digestion. Cook them in the way they have been traditionally cooked in your family. Avoid using too much oil, salt or sugar.
Also read:Navratri Diet Plan: Follow This 9-Day Diet Chart For Healthier Fasting, By Nmami Agarwal
Amaranth or rajgira flour contains a good amount of lysine, which can help in absorption of calcium. This grain is a rich source of fibre, phytosterols and oils that can be beneficial for people with high blood pressure, cholesterol and inflammation.
Amaranth or rajgira flour contains a good amount of lysine, which can help in absorption of calciumPhoto Credit: iStock
This is another commonly consumed flour during Navratri. It is rich in Vitamins B, E, potassium, zinc and much more. All of these are coolants that can help in detoxifying the system. You can make puris, chapattis or pakoras from singhare ka atta.
Buckwheat is a delicious grain, commonly consumed during Navratri. Kuttu has fertility improving and detoxifying properties that you can bank on.
Also read:Health Benefits Of Kuttu Ka Atta (Buckwheat Flour)
If this grain is available in your area, it can be used for several preparations during the festival. The flour can be used for preparing rotis, puris or pakoras.
Raw banana or green banana is a part of multiple Navratri dishes, says Diwekar. The fruit can be stir-fried, boiled, steamed, deep-fried, curried or mashed. The flour of raw banana can further be used for numerous preparations like puris and rotis. Raw banana is a rich source of fibre and is great for those suffering from digestion or bowel issues.
Makhanas or fox nuts are like the ideal low-fat Navratri snack. It is also low in sodium and cholesterol. Low sodium content is good for high blood pressure patients. What's more, makhanas have a low glycemic index, which makes them beneficial for people with diabetes. Ayurveda mentions that makhana has astringent properties that can help in keeping the kidneys healthy.
Also read:Fox Nuts: From Weight Loss To Controlled Blood Sugar Levels, Do Not Miss These Amazing Health Benefits Of Makhana
These are hydrating drinks with a rich antioxidant profile. They can help in detoxification and also help in boosting immunity.
(Rujuta Diwekar is a nutritionist based in Mumbai)
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
- Eat 6 times a day to lose weight under this program - WWLTV.com - November 26th, 2020
- 7 Ways to Help a Loved One with Eating and Swallowing Difficulties - Being Patient - November 25th, 2020
- UMMC diabetes education and care specialist offers advice on staying healthy during the holidays - The Daily News Online - November 25th, 2020
- The lights are on for Emma. Neighborhood glows teal as Stillwater teen battles cancer. - TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press - November 25th, 2020
- Organizations combat food insecurity with Thanksgiving meals to-go - Daily Illini - November 25th, 2020
- Your turn: How will you deal with the uninvited guest? - The Deming Headlight - November 25th, 2020
- Ways to manage holiday stress and remain safe amid COVID-19 pandemic - WCNC.com - November 24th, 2020
- How to Help Your Family Go Plant-Based and Be Healthy, By Doctors - The Beet - November 24th, 2020
- Whats intermittent fasting? The science behind it - ZME Science - November 24th, 2020
- How an innovative new pet food is providing help for cat lovers - Fast Company - November 24th, 2020
- Virtual Turkey Trots, Mocktails, And More: How The GBH Local Digital Team Is Celebrating Thanksgiving A Little Differently This Year - wgbh.org - November 24th, 2020
- What Happens to Your Cholesterol When You Go on a Keto Diet? - Everyday Health - November 20th, 2020
- 10 Minutes of Yoga During My Lunch Break Has Been Game-Changing For My Concentration - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- The Winchester Brothers Finally "Carry On" to Their Final Adventure in Supernatural Finale - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- Sophie Turner Honors Her Daughter Willa With a Beautifully Simple Tattoo - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- Your Eyes Aren't Deceiving You Taylor Lautner Isn't Sharkboy in We Can Be Heroes - POPSUGAR - November 20th, 2020
- Why I Don't Eat Protein Powder: To Fight Aging an Prevent Disease - The Beet - November 18th, 2020
- Are you a diabetic who loves sweets? Heres how you can safely savour them on Diwali - The Indian Express - November 18th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Why obesity is a risk factor for COVID complications - and how to lose weight - Express - November 18th, 2020
- Fluticasone propionate: What is it, and what does it treat? - Medical News Today - November 18th, 2020
- Self-Care in the Age of COVID and the Election - The Tablet Catholic Newspaper - November 18th, 2020
- Correction - The Robesonian - November 18th, 2020
- World Diabetes Day: Expert Tips For Diabetics To Enjoy Diwali Sweets And Fast Safely - NDTV Food - November 12th, 2020
- 7 simple home remedies to help battle bloating - Insider - INSIDER - November 12th, 2020
- Ask the Expert: Should I Be Counting Macros on My Plant-Based Diet? - The Beet - November 12th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson reveals 'holistic approach' is the secret to her 40lb weight loss - Yahoo Eurosport UK - November 12th, 2020
- Sweet truths - The New Indian Express - November 12th, 2020
- Pregnancy-Safe Foods That Will Satisfy Your Craving For Smoked Salmon - BabyGaga - November 12th, 2020
- Get to Know Spencer: The Engineer Who Snagged Tayshia's First Impression Rose - POPSUGAR - November 12th, 2020
- 5 Ways Carrie Underwood Stays Fit, Happy, and Motivated During Stressful Times - Prevention.com - November 12th, 2020
- Pet Column: Our pets are eating the wrong things - NW Evening Mail - November 1st, 2020
- We try NEXT MEATS meatless yakiniku: Does it live up to our meat-lover expectations? - SoraNews24 - November 1st, 2020
- Niacinamide: What It Is and What It Does for Skin - Greatist - November 1st, 2020
- Health benefits of the holiday season - Marinatimes - November 1st, 2020
- Exploring alternative proteins and their place in pet food - Pet Food Processing - November 1st, 2020
- Women over 40: health and lifestyle advice - Netdoctor - November 1st, 2020
- TECATE PAIRS WITH TAMALES IN A HOLIDAY PROMOTION MARKING MEXICAN AMERICAN FAMILY TRADITION - Food & Beverage Magazine - November 1st, 2020
- What Foraging in the Pacific Northwest Means in a Time of Uncertainty - Eater Seattle - November 1st, 2020
- What Is the Sirtfood Diet? Inside Adele's Reported Weight Loss Program - GoodHousekeeping.com - November 1st, 2020
- Fasting for Navratri? Here are some healthy and safe ways in which you can lose weight - The Indian Express - October 24th, 2020
- Freezing and Thawing Fresh Food: 8 Dos and Don'ts - Everyday Health - October 24th, 2020
- The 6 Types of Foods to Avoid With Ulcerative Colitis - Self - October 24th, 2020
- Brighter Bites Receives Walmart Foundation Grant to Expand Access to Fresh Produce and Nutrition Education Across Schools this Fall - PerishableNews - October 24th, 2020
- Tecate Pairs with Tamales in a Holiday Promotion Marking Mexican American Family Tradition - Abasto, Food and Beverage Industry News - October 24th, 2020
- 5 health benefits of aloe vera, from healing sunburn and reducing acne to helping with digestion - Insider - INSIDER - October 24th, 2020
- OPINION | Can tea really lower your blood sugar? - Health24 - October 24th, 2020
- 5 critical steps you can take to protect yourself from coronavirus and other infectious diseases - Times Now - October 24th, 2020
- Is intermittent fasting bad for you? These are the benefits and drawbacks of restrictive diets - and the healthiest way to lose weight explained - The... - October 21st, 2020
- Tips to fast safely during this coronavirus pandemic - TheHealthSite - October 21st, 2020
- Everything you need to know about the diets loved by Zara McDermott, Jennifer Aniston and Gwyneth Paltrow - OK! magazine - October 21st, 2020
- Covid-19: Eating in the office cafeteria? Keep these pointers in mind - The Indian Express - October 21st, 2020
- Losing weight with fasting - Know what to eat during Navratri, tips, recipe to fast safely - Times Now - October 18th, 2020
- 9 of the best restaurants in Central Pa. for indoor dining during the pandemic: Mimis picks - PennLive - October 18th, 2020
- JODY HOLTON The doctor wants an A1C Test. What is it and why? - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - October 17th, 2020
- Harriette Cole: Im just out with my girls. Why doesnt he trust me? - The Mercury News - October 17th, 2020
- Navratri 2020: Puja timings, vrat tithi and foods! - Times of India - October 17th, 2020
- Preventing hidden hunger in the time of pandemic - Al Jazeera English - October 17th, 2020
- Artist Gina Adams exhibition, titled Its Honor is Hereby Pledged, on display at UNCPs A.D. Gallery - The Robesonian - October 17th, 2020
- Boyfriend may have trust issues - The Times and Democrat - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In Arlington Heights - Arlington Heights, IL Patch - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In New York - Yorktown, NY Patch - October 16th, 2020
- RECALL: 18 Brands of Dog Food Recalled by FDA Over Toxin Concerns - ourcommunitynow.com - October 16th, 2020
- Were We Mentally Ready for COVID-19? Why It's Time to Take Behavioral Health Seriously - - HIT Consultant - October 16th, 2020
- Oct. 14 COVID-19 update: 12 best strategies to stay healthy this fall and winter - Prescott Daily Courier - October 16th, 2020
- Gallbladder and Alcohol Consumption: What to Know - Healthline - October 16th, 2020
- What is intermittent fasting? Simple tips to do it safely - DNA India - October 7th, 2020
- Jenna Dewan Nails Her Response to Fans Asking for Her Postpartum Diet and Fitness Routine - E! Online - October 7th, 2020
- Food for thought: Breast cancer and nutrition - Coastal Courier - October 7th, 2020
- What liposuction is, and why it can make you thinner, but not thin - ZME Science - October 7th, 2020
- Diabetes And Covid-19: Expert Tips And Full-Day Diet Plan For Diabetics - NDTV Food - October 7th, 2020
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic October 2 - Medical News Today - October 7th, 2020
- Quick Breakfast Ideas: Prepare This Avocado Toast To Get A Dash Of Protein, Fibre And Good Fats - NDTV - October 7th, 2020
- Study Debunks Claim That This Popular Food Causes Inflammation - KYR News - October 7th, 2020
- The Top 10 Virtual Plant-Based Events You Don't Want To Miss - Plant Based News - October 1st, 2020
- How to gain weight quickly and safely - Netdoctor - October 1st, 2020
- Six commonly-eaten foods that can make you ill, and how to prepare and store them safely - Aberdeen Evening Express - October 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus Tips: Prevention and Safety For Everyday Life - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 1st, 2020
- 7 Bad Habits to Quit That Can Make You Feel Healthier Within Weeks - Chiang Rai Times - October 1st, 2020
- Understanding heart conditions and their warning signs - Times of Malta - October 1st, 2020
- Kidney Health and Ketoveyda: How Suraksha Naturals Is Addressing the Health Concerns of the Keto Community - PRNewswire - September 29th, 2020