Are you one of the millions of Americans who struggle with their weight? If so, the MUSC Health Weight Management Center can help. In fact, weve been helping people in the Charleston area to manage their weight since 1974.
Extra weight is not a character flaw. It's a complex problem that can impair your health and quality of life. Our specialists at the MUSC Health Weight Management Center understand the complexity of weight loss. A team of psychologists, physicians, dietitians, and exercise physiologists work together, using their diverse knowledge to help you reduce excess weight. MUSC is an academic medical center so patients benefit from the most current and safe weight management programs, medicines and advances through research.
We offer a full range of programs to serve the different needs of different people. However, all of our work with patients includes a strong emphasis on helping them to make the long-term lifestyle changes that are so important for success in the long run. We think of these changes as the ABCDS of lifestyle change:
Activity ChangesExercise is crucial to the long-term success of a weight loss program. The center helps you plan and maintain an exercise program.
Behavioral ChangesThe center helps you examine problematic eating behaviors and finds ways to change them.
Cognitive (Thinking) ChangesThe center helps you change the thought patterns that lead you to overeat or sabotage your own progress.
Dietary ChangesSuccessful long-term weight loss should be based on a healthy diet. A registered dietitian helps you form an eating plan you can live with.
Support SystemsThe process of losing weight and growing accustomed to new ways of dealing with food can be difficult. The center provides you with the support you need through group and individual sessions.
We have a program to fit your weight management needs whether you've got a little or a lot to lose! Learn about us and our programs by going through a self-guided virtual tour or read more about our programs and services by clicking a link below.
Would you like our expert clinicians to help you decide which program might be best for you, but without having to come in for a program orientation? NOW WE CAN!
Take five minutes to complete our Program Matching Calculatorand itwill match you with the program/s that we believe would best suit your needs and preferences. This is a BRAND NEW tool that we have developed, which leverages the years of experience that our clinicians have in helping patients decide on the best programs for them.
And remember, you don't need to live in the Charleston area to take advantage of our programs we can help all South Carolinians reach their weight goals through our distance programs: Focus Carolina,Professional Home Weight Monitoring, and ExpertEase.
Please be aware that third party payers (private insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.) do not typically cover the cost of weight management services.
First Step is an eight-week lifestyle change program that offers weight loss assistance through individual weekly meetings with our Registered Dietitians, Exercise Physiologists, and Behavioral Specialists. It is appropriate for people of all weight ranges.
Lifestyle+Education+Activity+Nutrition. A free 8-week lifestyle change weight loss class taught by MUSC students and supervised by the MUSC Weight Management Center.
Focus-23 and Focus-27 are simply extended versions of our Focus-15 program, which allow you to extend how long you follow the more structured, meal replacement-based phases of the program.
The Focus program is a 15-week lifestyle change program; we also include 3 additional follow-up visits at the end of the initial program, to further assist you withmanaging your weight on your own.This programis designed to induce larger initial weight losses than traditional lifestyle change programs (e.g., First Step).
This 30-week program, designed for people who need to lose more than 50 pounds, combines medically supervised supplemented fasting with instructions in lifestyle change techniques to help you make the lifestyle changes necessary to maintain a healthier weight.
Our most popular Focus programs are now offered online in real-time so that anyone, anywhere in South Carolina or North Carolina can participate.
ExpertEase provides individuals with the opportunity to gain insight into areas of weight management without having to commit to a long term program. You can meet with our staff over video or phone.
We monitor your weight, dietary intake, and activity, and all you have to do is step on your bathroom scale. We offer this service to anyone, whether you're in one of our other programs or not.
We also work with the following local employers to provide specialized programs for their employees:
We offer specific workplace programs with several employers in the area. We also offer individual weight management programs and research programs.
Below is a listing of the MUSC Health Weight Management Center faculty and staff.
Director:Patrick M. O'Neil, Ph.D.
Associate Director Of Clinical Services:Tonya F. Turner, MPH, RD, LD
Patient Services Staff:Shawn WitherspoonJenny Boyce, BA
Physicians:Robert Malcolm, M.D.
Nursing Staff:Rhoda Ascanio, MSN, APRN, FNP-BC
Postdoctoral FellowSarah Hales, MSW, Ph.D.
Registered Dietitians:Tonya F. Turner, MPH, RD, LDLaura Nance, MA, RD, CDEMagie Young, RD, LD
Exercise Physiologists:David O. Sword, PT, DPT, CCSDavid Thomas, MS, EP-CLisa McQuade, MA
Research Staff:Mary Harley, BS
See some of the results that our patients have had. These stories are not intended to portray all results as individual outcomes vary and depend in part on degree of program adherence. That being said, our patients generally do very well!
Note:Confidentiality is of the utmost importance to us at the MUSC Health Weight Management Center. Each patient listed on our website has granted us express permission to share their program results and pictures with our web page visitors.
Here is the original post:
MUSC Health Weight Management Center | Charleston SC
- Weight Management - Metro Health Hospital - September 14th, 2019
- Weight Management At The University Of Kansas Health System - July 12th, 2019
- New Jersey Weight Loss Surgery | RWJBarnabas Health - June 2nd, 2019
- Weight Loss Programs | Nebraska Weight Management Institute - May 21st, 2019
- Weight Management - Terrebonne General Medical Center - May 20th, 2019
- Weight Management - UChicago Medicine - May 19th, 2019
- Jersey Medical Weight Loss Center: Weight Loss Physicians ... - May 17th, 2019
- Carolina Weight Loss Institute - April 30th, 2019
- Advanced Medical Weight Loss & Wellness Center in Las ... - April 10th, 2019
- Weight Management - Fort HealthCare - April 10th, 2019
- Achieve Your Goals with This Weight Management Checklist ... - April 6th, 2019
- Nurse-Led Weight Management Programs - ausmed.com - March 21st, 2019
- Essay on The Importance of Weight Management - 594 Words - March 21st, 2019
- Weight Management - Regional Health Orthopedic & Specialty ... - March 8th, 2019
- Weight Management - MedicineNet - February 9th, 2019
- CORE Weight Management - Wellness Pet Food - January 29th, 2019
- Parkinson's Foundation: Better Lives. Together. - January 23rd, 2019
- Weight Management | Summit Medical Group - January 23rd, 2019
- Weight Management Services - umms.org - January 23rd, 2019
- Weight Management Program - The LIFT - January 23rd, 2019
- Weight Management - Health & Nutrition - Youngevity - January 23rd, 2019
- North Carolina Weight & Wellness: Obesity Medicine ... - January 14th, 2019
- Weight Management Center | Wake Forest Baptist Health - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management | University of Maryland Medical Center - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management Program | NYU Langone Health - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Management | Office of Work-Life at Columbia University - January 2nd, 2019
- Weight Loss Centers in Washington - Yelp - December 23rd, 2018
- Delta Medical Weight Management Center - dmwmc.com - October 30th, 2018
- Weight Management for Your Life: Ten Steps to Prepare You ... - September 29th, 2018
- Weight Loss Management Center at UWMC - Roosevelt | UW ... - September 28th, 2018
- Weight Loss | Washington University Physicians - September 28th, 2018
- Weight Management Resources - Verywell Fit - September 28th, 2018
- Plainfield NJ Family Physician Doctors - Weight Management ... - August 30th, 2018
- Weight Loss Specialist | Weight Loss Coach | ACE - August 20th, 2018
- SmartFitWeightLoss.com - August 5th, 2018
- Weight Management Olympia Compounding Pharmacy - April 6th, 2018
- Medical Weight Loss Clinic | Medical Weight Management ... - March 13th, 2018
- Weight Management | Reading Hospital - March 13th, 2018
- Weight Management Louisville, Kentucky (KY), Norton Healthcare - March 13th, 2018
- Center for Weight & Wellness - Lifespan - March 13th, 2018
- Weight Management - County of Sonoma, California - February 5th, 2018
- Weight Management - dTERRA Product Line | dTERRA ... - February 5th, 2018
- Weight Management Program - NYP.org - January 3rd, 2018
- Weight Management Resources - Verywell - December 28th, 2017
- Weight Management-Topic Overview - WebMD - December 1st, 2017
- The Institute for Weight Management - Hackensack, NJ - November 10th, 2017
- How Avocado Can Help with Weight Management - October 13th, 2017
- Weight Management | Compounding Pharmacy - Absolute Pharmacy - September 20th, 2017
- Can ventolin inhaler cause weight loss - Ventolin expectorant capsule price philippines - Laughlin Entertainer - August 27th, 2017
- Veterans' lives, health honored at wellness event in Butler - New Castle News - August 27th, 2017
- Healthy eating the best way to lose weight - Tahlequah Daily Press - August 27th, 2017
- Weight-loss firm makes apparent Stamford exit - The Advocate - August 27th, 2017
- The Role of Body Composition in Weight Management - Natural Products INSIDER - August 24th, 2017
- Get fit: The 5 best exercises for fat loss - Daily Commercial - August 24th, 2017
- Reimagining the Weight Loss Category - Natural Products INSIDER - August 24th, 2017
- These Are The Best Foods For Weight Loss - Huffington Post Australia - August 24th, 2017
- 5 local resources to help control diabetes - Twin Falls Times-News - August 20th, 2017
- Weight not a factor as energy dense foods appear to up cancer risk - FoodNavigator.com - August 18th, 2017
- Infrared Sauna Benefits Include Pain Management, Weight Loss - Metro US - August 18th, 2017
- The best exercise for weight loss, according to science - NEWS.com.au - August 13th, 2017
- Family Health News Has Positive Experience at Weight ... - Benzinga - Benzinga - August 11th, 2017
- Lifestyle-modification programs for weight management in Arab states lack in effectiveness - Medical Xpress - August 10th, 2017
- Exercise as a Weight-Loss Strategy - New York Times - August 9th, 2017
- Research Behind Top Weight Management Ingredients - Natural Products INSIDER - August 9th, 2017
- Lifestyle-modification programs for weight management in Arab states lack in effectiveness - Gears Of Biz - August 9th, 2017
- Diet Soda Linked to Weight Gain, Not Weight Loss - Olive Oil Times - Olive Oil Times - August 9th, 2017
- The 15-Minute Cardio Workout Perfect for Beginners Trying to Lose Weight - Shape Magazine - August 9th, 2017
- Weight Management Supplements | eBay - August 7th, 2017
- An easy, healthy way to control your weight - Thegardenisland.com - August 7th, 2017
- Newly Published Study Shows Supplementation Of Capsicum Extract Helps Increase Metabolic Rate - Markets Insider - August 7th, 2017
- Elicina Participates in Successful Weight Management, Sports ... - Benzinga - August 3rd, 2017
- Ask a Specialist: How Weight Loss Surgery Can Treat Type 2 Diabetes - KHON2 - August 3rd, 2017
- Diet Doc Offers Customized Weight Loss Solutions Amid Mediterranean Diet Doubts - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 3rd, 2017
- UFC willing to add new ABC weight classes 'when the time is right' - MMAmania.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Asthma inhaler weight loss - Ipratropium bromide and albuterol sulfate side effects - Van Wert independent - July 11th, 2017
- Weight Management Clinic Scarborough - Weight Management ... - July 7th, 2017
- Conversation Cards a Useful Tool in Pediatric Weight Management - Newswise (press release) - July 7th, 2017
- 7 ways to follow a low-carb diet the right way - Today.com - July 7th, 2017
- Apple Cider Vinegar Weight Loss - ACV Weight Loss - Woman's Day - WomansDay.com (blog) - July 6th, 2017
- Nolvadex for steroid users - Diabex side effects weight loss - Longboat Key News - July 6th, 2017