MANSFIELD Stay-at-home mom Kara Franco has been overweight for most of her life, but she doesnt let it keep her from doing what she can to be a good mother, wife and having confidence in herself.
Im still pretty much physically fit and am able to do many things, but it (her weight) does still hold me back in a lot of ways, Franco said.
In 2010, Franco decided to get in shape for her wedding. She used a personal trainer, worked out with a friend and ran marathons. She ended up losing between 60-80 pounds.
Even with my wedding gown, I remember the lady was like, We probably should just buy you a new one, Franco recalled after losing so much weight.
Franco participated in many marathons, which aided her in losing over 60 pounds in 2010.
After their wedding, Franco and her husband decided they wanted to immediately try for kids, but they hit a roadblock when Franco discovered she was infertile.
They decided to go to Womens Care Inc. after trying to conceive for five years and received Intrauterine insemination treatment (IUI), a procedure in which sperm cells are directly placed into the uterus around the time ovulation occurs.
Julie Fogel, a licensed practice nurse at Womens Care Inc., loves making a difference in parents' lives.
What theyre doing here is great, Fogel said. Theres not a lot of facilities around here that do anything with infertility. We have one of the cheapest ones here because it is self-pay, we have the onsite lab here, so were able to run every lab that needs done and every ultrasound that needs done. Its all able to be done in one place thats here locally.
Womens Care Inc. has helped 50-100 women in the last 10 years with IUI and IVF treatments.
Franco and her husband went six times total for IUI treatments, but they unfortunately saw no results.
Every month youre like, Is this the month that Im pregnant? and then you take the test and its like, Nope! Didnt happen this month, Franco said. And then (I) would try to comfort (myself) with food, and so I did continue to gain weight.
Their next step was to try in vitro fertilization treatments (IVF), and although Womens Care Inc. doesnt do IVF treatments in Mansfield, they put Franco and her husband in touch with a fertility doctor at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Franco heard many stories about other women needing to lose weight in order to get pregnant, but her fertility doctor told her it wasnt an issue in her case.
It was not a factor to him, which was a blessing and a curse kind of because I didnt feel like I had to lose a bunch of weight in order to get pregnant, Franco said.
The first round of IVF for Franco and her husband was a success, but upon their six-week check up, they found out the fetus had no heartbeat.
It was extremely hard, especially because we tried so hard going through it, and then at the time I had a job where I was a manager to 20 something employees, Franco said.
The expense of the IVF treatments took a toll on the couple as well because they couldnt rely on insurance after the first round.
Each time you put a substantial amount of money down before you can even start the procedure, and then on top of that to pay for the drugs, Franco said.
After another unsuccessful attempt with IVF and making some choices, Franco and her husband decided to try one last time, and fortunately it worked.
Franco and her husband were in for an even bigger surprise, however. They discovered they were having twins.
After five years of unsuccessful attempts, Franco carried the twins to full-term in 2015 with no complications and delivered healthy a boy and girl: Zef and Zoey Franco.
Today, Franco still loves being a stay-at-home mom, but the combination of stress, medications she took while in treatment and giving birth led to her gaining back all of the weight she lost.
Kara Franco, 41, has grown up in Mansfield since she was 5 years old. She is a stay-at-home mom with twins and enjoys interior decorating. Most of the furniture at her home shes built herself.
Now that her kids are in school, Franco has a lot more time for herself and wants to use it responsibly by getting fit with challenges like Strive to Thrive. She hopes that with this weight loss journey she can also encourage her children to have a healthy relationship with food and fitness.
With my husband and I around, theyre predisposed to probably having those overweight traits, but I also dont want to stick that in their minds that they have to diet or workout, Franco said.
Im trying to let them see the healthy habits.
As her weight loss journey continues, Franco is determined to stay on track and continue to find herself outside of being a mom.
Ive typically always been a confident person, but even just getting my workouts in again and just the feeling I get from that has just been really nice, Franco said.
Sign up for the weekly thrive newsletter and get local inspiration delivered to your inbox every Monday.
- The Biggest Loser trainer Erica Lugo reveals how she lost 160 lbs. and its something we all can do - HOLA! USA - March 27th, 2020
- 32-Year Veteran Coach Roy Williams 'I'm Hungrier; Anxious To Get Back to Work' - Sports Illustrated - March 27th, 2020
- Soccer enthusiast hopes to play again after Strive to Thrive - Richland Source - March 27th, 2020
- Nutrition and exercise experts offer 7 reasons why you may not be losing weight - The Irish News - March 26th, 2020
- 12 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight While Doing Intermittent Fasting, According To An RD - Women's Health - March 26th, 2020
- Green coffee and how it aids weight loss - AZ Big Media - March 26th, 2020
- Best apps to track what youre eating and maintain (or lose) weight while quarantined - Android Police - March 26th, 2020
- Weigh out there | Columnists - San Mateo Daily Journal - March 26th, 2020
- Weight loss or fat loss? What it means and what you should know - Times of India - March 26th, 2020
- RHOCs Emily Simpson shows off incredible weight loss in skintight pants and swimsuits - The Sun - March 26th, 2020
- Adele, obsessed with fitness and losing weight - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- Adele becomes obsessed with losing weight and fitness - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- 'This Is Us': Does Season 4 pass the Bechdel test for fat women? - Los Angeles Times - March 26th, 2020
- This Mornings Alison Hammond boasts shes good in bed after losing weight - The Sun - March 26th, 2020
- 5 health and fitness apps to download in the UAE - Time Out Abu Dhabi - March 26th, 2020
- Mandels Mailbag: Will there be a college football season this fall? - The Athletic - March 26th, 2020
- 10 habits of people who lose weight and keep it off - The Australian Financial Review - March 23rd, 2020
- Body recomposition: How to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time - CNET - March 23rd, 2020
- Mum and daughter show off their new figures after curbing their junk food addiction - Cambridgeshire Live - Cambridgeshire Live - March 23rd, 2020
- Nonprofit helps with weight loss - Dover Post - March 23rd, 2020
- Realized I needed to improve my physical fitness to get back in IPL, states Sheldon Jackson - SportsCafe - March 23rd, 2020
- 'I lost 4st and had the miracle baby doctors told me Id never give birth to' - Mirror Online - March 23rd, 2020
- Heart disease is the number one killer of both men and women - Marshalltown Times Republican - March 23rd, 2020
- The carrot and stick approach - Fruitnet - March 23rd, 2020
- Scarlett Moffatt: Ive Had To Ring The Samaritans Because Of Years Of Trolling - Grazia - March 23rd, 2020
- Emotional Eating May Soar Due to Coronavirus Anxiety and Nationwide Shutdowns - GlobeNewswire - March 23rd, 2020
- Would Having the Tokyo Games Even Be Fair to the Athletes? - The New York Times - March 23rd, 2020
- A mother's wonderful gift of life to little Cleo - Independent.ie - March 23rd, 2020
- Coronation Street Spoilers for next week: David struggles with shocking news & Yasmeen refuses to hear the truth - RadioTimes - March 23rd, 2020
- Land Rover marks a milestone with the Discovery Landmark - Hull Daily Mail - March 23rd, 2020
- Weight loss: From 125 to 80 kilos, this student lost a massive 45 kilos - Times of India - March 21st, 2020
- Posting Jokes and Memes About Weight Gain During COVID-19 Is Not OK - Allure - March 21st, 2020
- The Best Diet and Fitness Apps to Help Lose Weight and Stay Healthy - Chowhound - March 21st, 2020
- Gratitude in the Face of Crisis - The New York Times - March 21st, 2020
- Weight loss: Woman sheds 5 stone in 5 months & reversed type 2 diabetes with simple diet - Express - March 21st, 2020
- Weight loss: Are detox teas healthy? Here is all you need to know about their benefits, side effects - Times Now - March 21st, 2020
- It's OK To Stress-Eat & Gain Weight When You're In Coronavirus Lockdown - YourTango - March 21st, 2020
- Exactly What to Eat to Be Your Healthiest, by Bestselling Author Dr. Joel Fuhrman - The Beet - March 21st, 2020
- Instead of Gaining the Freshman 15, Aime Actually Lost Weight Her First Semester - POPSUGAR - March 21st, 2020
- These Are The Most Common Behavioral Habits That Can Stall Your Weight Loss, According To An MD - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 21st, 2020
- The Strangers Brandon Fellows reveals four and a half stone weight loss after cutting out takeaways and j - The Sun - March 21st, 2020
- Adorable & AdoptablePets of the Week: Leah, Molly, & Kittles - SweetwaterNOW.com - March 21st, 2020
- Common Health Problems Causing You to be Overweight - The Leader Newspaper Online - March 21st, 2020
- Carol Radull opens up on tough times that saw her lose Dad and brother - Pulse Live Kenya - March 21st, 2020
- Mailbag: How are the Gators handling the coronavirus pandemic? - GatorCountry.com - March 21st, 2020
- Watch when Tyson Furys press conference was crashed by the Wealdstone Raider, who called him out for a f - talkSPORT.com - March 21st, 2020
- Aussie mum sheds 65kgs thanks to her simple $2 trick! - That's Life! - March 21st, 2020
- How to EAT your way to a six pack while in isolation - Brinkwire - March 21st, 2020
- How to Lose Weight and Keep It Off - The New York Times - March 19th, 2020
- Not Losing Weight? 20 Possible Reasons That The Scale Is Stuck, According To A Weight-Loss Expert - Pulse Ghana - March 19th, 2020
- 5 Reasons You Aren't Losing Weight on a Plant-Based Diet (Hint: You Could Be Loading Up on Carbs) - The Beet - March 19th, 2020
- 'My 600-lb Life': After suffering a heart attack, Coliesa's weight-loss surgery hangs by a thin thread - MEAWW - March 19th, 2020
- Striking the right chord with keto - The Star Online - March 19th, 2020
- The 'set point': Why it can be so hard to maintain weight loss - Sydney Morning Herald - March 19th, 2020
- 'The Biggest Loser': Kristi may be eliminated but that hasn't stopped her from continuing to work out - MEAWW - March 19th, 2020
- Best home workout: hit the home gym hard with THE 5 BEST exercises - T3 - March 19th, 2020
- Three Things to Consider When Trying to Lose Weight. - ThyBlackMan - March 19th, 2020
- How to get fit when you're unfit: 5 easy strategies that mean even lazy people can be fitter and healthier - T3 - March 19th, 2020
- Young Gucci Mane shows off massive weight loss in inspiring photos - Briefly.co.za - March 19th, 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Dai Young on Wasps' turnaround and future, losing weight and his next career step - Coventry Telegraph - March 19th, 2020
- Tips to be fit: Water and how it affects your brain - The Philadelphia Tribune - March 19th, 2020
- Ask the Dentist: Coronavirus crisis could act as a spur for us to improve overall health - The Irish News - March 19th, 2020
- Huge inequalities show 12-year life expectancy gap in town - Warrington Guardian - March 19th, 2020
- How to live longer: Five habits to adopt into your life to increase life expectancy - Express - March 19th, 2020
- Chris Wilkinson column: Defining the why key to your goals - Cowichan Valley Citizen - March 19th, 2020
- Tips to lose weight that you can simply ignore - NewsDio - March 13th, 2020
- Soap stars biggest weight loss transformations from Natalie Cassidy, Catherine Tyldesley to Alan Halsall - The Irish Sun - March 13th, 2020
- 'Ketotarian' Is A Plant-Based Version Of KetoAnd It Might Be Healthier Than The Traditional Diet - Women's Health - March 13th, 2020
- 5 weight loss tips from the guy who lost 44 kgs by following this unique plan - GQ India - March 13th, 2020
- Weight gain in middle age could weigh heavily on the lungs - NewsDio - March 13th, 2020
- Eating oranges may be the key to losing weight, study finds - AOL UK - March 13th, 2020
- 2018 Today Show Book Recommendations: picks this week - Today.com - March 13th, 2020
- How a Melbourne mum halved her grocery bill and lost 30kg - 9Honey - March 13th, 2020
- The 6 Surprising Benefits of Eating a Plant-Based Diet - The Beet - March 12th, 2020
- Fad diets and their effects on physical health - Iowa State Daily - March 12th, 2020
- Anorexic woman's weight fell to 20kg before she died: Coroner - The Straits Times - March 12th, 2020
- Addition of Odgers brings strength to Wild | TheAHL.com - American Hockey League - March 12th, 2020
- Fasting is the practice for Lent this week - Argus Leader - March 12th, 2020
- 'My 600-lb Life': It's a matter of life and death for Tommy as Dr Nowzaradan warns he doesn't have much time - MEAWW - March 12th, 2020
- X Factors Lucy Spraggan shows off incredible weight loss after dropping three dress sizes - The Sun - March 12th, 2020