MANSFIELD Stay-at-home mom Kara Franco has been overweight for most of her life, but she doesnt let it keep her from doing what she can to be a good mother, wife and having confidence in herself.
Im still pretty much physically fit and am able to do many things, but it (her weight) does still hold me back in a lot of ways, Franco said.
In 2010, Franco decided to get in shape for her wedding. She used a personal trainer, worked out with a friend and ran marathons. She ended up losing between 60-80 pounds.
Even with my wedding gown, I remember the lady was like, We probably should just buy you a new one, Franco recalled after losing so much weight.
Franco participated in many marathons, which aided her in losing over 60 pounds in 2010.
After their wedding, Franco and her husband decided they wanted to immediately try for kids, but they hit a roadblock when Franco discovered she was infertile.
They decided to go to Womens Care Inc. after trying to conceive for five years and received Intrauterine insemination treatment (IUI), a procedure in which sperm cells are directly placed into the uterus around the time ovulation occurs.
Julie Fogel, a licensed practice nurse at Womens Care Inc., loves making a difference in parents' lives.
What theyre doing here is great, Fogel said. Theres not a lot of facilities around here that do anything with infertility. We have one of the cheapest ones here because it is self-pay, we have the onsite lab here, so were able to run every lab that needs done and every ultrasound that needs done. Its all able to be done in one place thats here locally.
Womens Care Inc. has helped 50-100 women in the last 10 years with IUI and IVF treatments.
Franco and her husband went six times total for IUI treatments, but they unfortunately saw no results.
Every month youre like, Is this the month that Im pregnant? and then you take the test and its like, Nope! Didnt happen this month, Franco said. And then (I) would try to comfort (myself) with food, and so I did continue to gain weight.
Their next step was to try in vitro fertilization treatments (IVF), and although Womens Care Inc. doesnt do IVF treatments in Mansfield, they put Franco and her husband in touch with a fertility doctor at Ohio Reproductive Medicine.
Franco heard many stories about other women needing to lose weight in order to get pregnant, but her fertility doctor told her it wasnt an issue in her case.
It was not a factor to him, which was a blessing and a curse kind of because I didnt feel like I had to lose a bunch of weight in order to get pregnant, Franco said.
The first round of IVF for Franco and her husband was a success, but upon their six-week check up, they found out the fetus had no heartbeat.
It was extremely hard, especially because we tried so hard going through it, and then at the time I had a job where I was a manager to 20 something employees, Franco said.
The expense of the IVF treatments took a toll on the couple as well because they couldnt rely on insurance after the first round.
Each time you put a substantial amount of money down before you can even start the procedure, and then on top of that to pay for the drugs, Franco said.
After another unsuccessful attempt with IVF and making some choices, Franco and her husband decided to try one last time, and fortunately it worked.
Franco and her husband were in for an even bigger surprise, however. They discovered they were having twins.
After five years of unsuccessful attempts, Franco carried the twins to full-term in 2015 with no complications and delivered healthy a boy and girl: Zef and Zoey Franco.
Today, Franco still loves being a stay-at-home mom, but the combination of stress, medications she took while in treatment and giving birth led to her gaining back all of the weight she lost.
Kara Franco, 41, has grown up in Mansfield since she was 5 years old. She is a stay-at-home mom with twins and enjoys interior decorating. Most of the furniture at her home shes built herself.
Now that her kids are in school, Franco has a lot more time for herself and wants to use it responsibly by getting fit with challenges like Strive to Thrive. She hopes that with this weight loss journey she can also encourage her children to have a healthy relationship with food and fitness.
With my husband and I around, theyre predisposed to probably having those overweight traits, but I also dont want to stick that in their minds that they have to diet or workout, Franco said.
Im trying to let them see the healthy habits.
As her weight loss journey continues, Franco is determined to stay on track and continue to find herself outside of being a mom.
Ive typically always been a confident person, but even just getting my workouts in again and just the feeling I get from that has just been really nice, Franco said.
Sign up for the weekly thrive newsletter and get local inspiration delivered to your inbox every Monday.
- Is it easier to burn off a big breakfast than a big dinner? - NHS Website - February 20th, 2020
- When the time is right to lose weight - News & Star - February 20th, 2020
- How to Choose a Diet and Stick with It - ZME Science - February 20th, 2020
- What Is Muscle Confusion and Can It Help You Lose Weight? - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 20th, 2020
- How This Reader Lost 5 Stone and Built a Midlife Six-Pack - Men's health UK - February 20th, 2020
- Woman who used food to fill a void after losing twins starts weight loss journey so she can have IVF - Daily Post - February 20th, 2020
- It's Mother's Time to Shine - Jezebel - February 20th, 2020
- Reducing premature death from heart disease requires a broad approach - The Spokesman-Review - February 20th, 2020
- Could super-agers slim down the vast amount the NHS spends on obesity? - Telegraph.co.uk - February 20th, 2020
- Everything you need to know before doing intermittent fasting while pregnant - Health24 - February 20th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast and Transform your Body - BOXROX - February 20th, 2020
- The Great Buenos Aires Bank Heist - GQ - February 20th, 2020
- How to do intermittent fasting safely - CNET - February 19th, 2020
- Polar Bears Losing Weight, Having Fewer Cubs Due to Retreating Sea-Ice - The Weather Channel - February 19th, 2020
- The 5 food tweaks to slash hundreds of calories from your diet and boost weight loss - The Sun - February 19th, 2020
- How to lose weight the healthy way without giving up on carbs - GQ India - February 19th, 2020
- 'I Do Keto, Intermittent Fasting, And Tae Bo WorkoutsAnd I've Lost 135 Pounds' - Women's Health - February 19th, 2020
- Sivakov pays the price for losing weight too quickly - Cyclingnews.com - February 19th, 2020
- Points for losing weight and winning games in new Lincoln football league - The Lincolnite - February 19th, 2020
- How to lose weight and keep it off - Better Homes and Gardens - February 19th, 2020
- Proof of Weight Loss Surgery Benefits Continues to Grow with Breathing Study, says Beverly Hills Physicians - Benzinga - February 19th, 2020
- This SAS workout will make your body and mind stronger - T3 - February 19th, 2020
- DNA tests may soon reveal the optimal diet for your body down to the variety of lettuce you should be eating - MarketWatch - February 19th, 2020
- Andy Ruiz Jr. back to basics on the football field, drops weight for return - WBN - World Boxing News - February 19th, 2020
- Rakul Preet Singh refuses to put on weight for role: Wont do anything that harms my health - Hindustan Times - February 19th, 2020
- Westmeath mother of seven shares secret to incredible 9st weight loss - RSVP Live - February 19th, 2020
- Dr. Mitch Shulman: Heart disease in women not the same as in men - The Suburban Newspaper - February 19th, 2020
- Worried about your ageing parents? Here are 8 health signs to look out for - The Star Online - February 19th, 2020
- Stanford scientist: 12 tiny habits that will instantly make you more productive - CNBC - February 19th, 2020
- Aging parents: 8 warning signs of health problems | Health | gmtoday.com - Greater Milwaukee Today - February 19th, 2020
- Adele diet: Is this the food the Hello singer eats to maintain seven stone weight loss? - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge weight loss how Lose Weight and Get Fit star shed 12st - The Sun - February 15th, 2020
- Olly Murs weight loss: Star used easy trick to shed 1st and blast belly fat in 12 weeks - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Honey Boo Boo Weight Loss: Did The Star Pull It Off? - Daily Hawker - February 15th, 2020
- How Mickey Jogoleff Lost 80 Pounds While Working Out Less and Eating More Carbs - BarBend - February 15th, 2020
- Breastfeeding girls mustn't eat these items, it might not hurt your child - Sahiwal Tv - February 15th, 2020
- Reduce weight the Ayurveda means - Health Writeups - February 15th, 2020
- Mum loses the equivalent of another 'person' in weight and reverses her diabetes - Bristol Post - February 15th, 2020
- The Healthiest Place on Earth - Thrive Global - February 15th, 2020
- Family fight to reunite with son left 5,000 miles away in Pakistan orphanage - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Outdoors: Keeping warm during the second month - Fall River Herald News - February 15th, 2020
- Scientific BREAKTHROUGH: DNA discovery finds some in 60s have genetic age of 20-YEAR-OLD - Express.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Healthcare boost addresses ageing population in Sri Lanka - Indian NewsLink - February 15th, 2020
- Yep, Its TrueStaying Positive Can Actually Help You Maintain Weight Loss - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast - Quick & Easy Weight Loss Tips - February 15th, 2020
- Jessica Simpson's Nutritionist Shares the Diet That Helped Her Lose 100 Pounds - NewBeauty Magazine - February 15th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week Here's Why - POPSUGAR - February 15th, 2020
- How Did Adele Lose Weight? Secrets To The Singer's Stunning Transformation - YourTango - February 15th, 2020
- NBA Rumors: Zion Williamson Longevity Comes First, Losing Weight Strongly Urged - International Business Times - February 15th, 2020
- The Biggest Loser didn't work then and it won't work now - The Aggie - February 15th, 2020
- 8 warning signs of health problems and how you can help aging parents - Cape Cod Times - February 15th, 2020
- New smoothie bar offers healthy option in Waunakee - hngnews.com - February 15th, 2020
- Frankie Bridge feared husband happier without her during depression - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- WARMC rocking the red to bring attention to Heart Month - Mohave Valley News - February 15th, 2020
- Audrey named Slimming World Woman of the Year and given the all-clear from cancer - Daily Record - February 15th, 2020
- Weight loss tips: How to lose weight & get fit by running daily, according to this guy who lost 13 kg - GQ India - February 15th, 2020
- Friends & Family | News, Sports, Jobs - The Review - February 15th, 2020
- What is ischemic heart disease? Symptoms and treatment options - Insider - INSIDER - February 15th, 2020
- A liquid diet for weight loss: Is it effective and sustainable? - Times Now - February 15th, 2020
- Astonishing twist as woman 'ready to die' finds out reason behind her tumour - Yahoo News Australia - February 15th, 2020
- Half of U.S. adults want to lose weight in 2020 - Food Business News - February 12th, 2020
- Half of U.S. Adults Want To Lose Weight And Over A Quarter Follow A Diet Plan To Do It - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week - Here's Why - msnNOW - February 12th, 2020
- Weight loss: New cookie diet is taking Instagram by storm but does it really work? - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I lost 17 kilos to fit into the clothes of my choice and it completely changed my lif - Times of India - February 12th, 2020
- Dietitian explains pros and cons of keto diet - KMVT - February 12th, 2020
- Why do I always feel hungry? Why you eat even when you're full and how to stop - TODAY - February 12th, 2020
- Bariatric surgeon tells us why we eat too much - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 12th, 2020
- What Causes The 'Dadbod' (And How To Reverse It) - Lifehacker Australia - February 12th, 2020
- Health Benefits of Salmon Nutrition and Why You Should Eat More Salmon Protein - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 12th, 2020
- Familia's Weight Loss Won't Be What Leads to His Success - metsmerizedonline.com - February 12th, 2020
- Testosterone pellets gaining popularity as hormone therapy in Southeast Texas - 12newsnow.com KBMT-KJAC - February 12th, 2020
- How to read the FDA's new nutrition facts label - CNET - February 12th, 2020
- I lost more than 70kgs in three years - Were - Daily Monitor - February 12th, 2020
- I looked pregnant with triplets but then docs found giant tumour half-a-metre wide - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Nicola Watters made it to the semi-finals of a national Slimming World competition - The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Vanessa Feltz shows off weight loss at Paddington premiere after losing more than three stone - The Sun - February 9th, 2020
- Weight-loss surgery tied to lowered risk of colorectal cancer - WHBL News - February 9th, 2020
- Is milk helpful in gaining weight? - Times of India - February 9th, 2020
- Pictures bomb! They appear and belong to Ana de Armas before losing weight and in a bikini! - Play Crazy Game - February 9th, 2020