A menopausal woman has apparently given birth after receiving a blood treatment of platelet-rich plasma injected into her ovaries; 3 perimenopausal women have also had babies following the treatment according to a small pilot study at the Genesis Athens Fertility Clinic in Greece.
It appears as if menopause may not be the end of fertility as a team claims to have found a way to rejuvenate post-menopausal ovaries to enable the release of fertile eggs. The technique is suggested to have been able to restart menstruation in menopausal women, including one who had not menstruated in 5 years. If the results are able to withstand further scrutiny the technique may boost fertility in older women and allow those experiencing early menopause to become pregnant, as well as help to stave off the detrimental effects of menopause.
Professor Konstantinos Pantos is the fertility specialist who led the study in Greece, and he has been offering PRP treatments privately for the past 5 years, we have treated several hundred women' who were looking either to conceive or reduce the symptoms of menopause. According to Pantos They have a right to have a child, and we have to help them.
It offers a window of hope that menopausal women will be able to get pregnant using their own genetic material, says Konstantinos Sfakianoudis, a gynecologist at the Greek fertility clinic Genesis Athens.
It is potentially quite exciting, says Roger Sturmey at Hull York Medical School in the UK. But it also opens up ethical questions over what the upper age limit of mothers should be.
Women are thought to be born with all of their eggs, the number steadily declines between puberty and menopause with a fertility peak in the 20s. But around the age of 50, the ovaries stop releasing eggs, but most women are already largely infertile by this point as ovulation becomes more infrequent.
More women are having children in their 40s than ever before, but as more choose to delay motherhood many may find themselves struggling to become pregnant. Those who are hoping to conceive later in life are increasingly looking towards IVF and egg freezing, but neither are a for sure or truly reliable backup option.
For many women, life gets in the way of the best-laid plans and menopause can come all too early, even before the age of 40 for 1% of women either due to a medical condition or certain cancer treatments as examples. The researchers suggest that when PRP was injected into the ovaries of menopausal women, it restarted their menstrual cycles and enabled them to collect and fertilize the eggs that were released.
Sfakianoudis and colleagues are turning to a blood treatment that is used to help heal wounds faster to help turn back the fertility clock for women who have experienced early menopause. PRP is made by centrifuging a sample of a persons blood to isolate growth factors, and it is widely used to speed the repair of damaged bones and muscles. The team has found that PRP also seems to help rejuvenate older ovaries, and they have presented some of their research at the annual meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology.
I had a patient whose menopause had established five years ago, at the age of 40, says Sfakianoudis. Six months after the team injected PRP into her ovaries, she experienced her first period since menopause. Since then 3 eggs were collected from this woman, 2 of which were successfully fertilized using her husbands sperm, the embryos are now on ice waiting to be implanted into her uterus.
The team suggests that they have given PRP in this way to 30 women between the ages of 46 and 49 who all want to be able to have children, and they say that they have managed to isolate and fertilize eggs from most of them.
It seems to work in about two-thirds of cases, says Sfakianoudis. We see changes in biochemical patterns, a restoration of menses, and egg recruitment and fertilisation. His team has yet to implant any embryos in post-menopausal women, but hopes to do so in the coming months.
In another group of women, this approach has already been helpful for pregnancy says Sfakianoudis. 10% of the women seeking fertility treatment at the clinic have a uterus that embryos have difficulty attaching to. After injecting PRP into the uteruses of 6 women who previously have multiple miscarriages and failed IVF attempts, three went on to become pregnant through IVF and are in their second trimesters.
Besides helping with fertility this treatment may also be desirable for those wanting to ward off hormonal changes that can also make the heart, skin, and bones more vulnerable to ageing and disease. Many women may be somewhat reluctant to take hormone replacement therapy to reduce these changes due to the link with breast cancer, but rejuvenating the ovaries with PRP could provide an alternative way to boost the supply of hormones that could delay the symptoms of menopause.
Sfakianoudis and the team have not published their findings yet saying that We need larger studies before we can know for sure how effective the treatment is. The researchers will also need to carry out randomized trials with a control group to know if their treatment really does improve fertility.
Although promising for many, this work does raise concerns over the safety and efficacy of the procedure which was not tested on animals first. It also raises ethical questions over upping the age limits of pregnancy and health issues like gestational diabetes, pre-eclampsia, birth defects, and miscarriage which are all more common in older women.
Obviously its a very interesting topic [that] could be beneficial to a lot of people, said Heather Shapiro, president of the Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society, adding that ovaries have many other functions beyond eggs. The big one is making estrogen, which may help ward off conditions such as heart disease. A decline in estrogen has been linked to an increase in heart disease in post-menopausal women. But she cautions against getting excited about these findings because more work is needed, and she believes we are still years away from safely being able to use this kind of procedure on humans.
This experiment would not have been allowed to take place in the UK, says Sturmey. The researchers need to do some more work to make sure that the resulting eggs are OK, says Adam Balen at the British Fertility Society. I lay awake last night turning this over in my mind, says Sturmey. Where would the line be drawn? It would require a big debate, says Sturmey.
Virginia Bolton, an embryologist at Guys and St Thomas Hospital in London, is also skeptical. It is dangerous to get excited about something before you have sufficient evidence it works, she says. New techniques often find their way into the fertility clinic without strong evidence, thanks to huge demand from people who are often willing to spend their life savings to have a child, she says.
Sfakianoudis and colleagues are also testing the PRP technique on womens uterine linings as well as on mens testes to help counteract male factor infertility.
Professor Konstantinos Pantos is overseeing 4 randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials, with another 2 trials being run by Professor Emre Seli at Yale School of Medicine to confirm PRP as a viable infertility treatment.
I can't tell you 100 percent that this is going to be a super useful intervention, said Professor Seli. But I find it very exciting.
- Impact of COVID-19 Crisis on Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Demand and Consumption Growth, Predicts Fact.MR - The Cloud Tribune - October 25th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Comprehensive Growth by 2017 to 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 25th, 2020
- Thoughts of Breast Health in Breast Cancer Awareness Month - Yahoo Singapore News - October 25th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market 2020 Determined By Manufacturing Summary, Business Profile And Estimate To 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Demand (2020-2026) | Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies |... - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Trends, Global Growth, Insights And Forecast Research Report 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market anticipates revenue will hit up to XX% CAGR by 2026: Segmentation by Revenue, Gross margin, Industrial Analysis,... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market By Manufacturers, Development Strategy, Upcoming Trends and Huge Growth By 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 21st, 2020
- Hammerling-Hodgers: Don't delay if you have any signs of breast cancer - Florida Today - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Exponential Growth by 2018 to 2028 - Aerospace Journal - October 21st, 2020
- Exclusive Interview with Dr. Zainab Mogul-Ashraf (Dr. Z) of Hebe Medical Spa - Hudson Valley Style Magazine - October 21st, 2020
- Women's Health Diagnostics Market projected to expand at a CAGR of ~6% from 2019 to 2027 - The Think Curiouser - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 Global Analysis By Application, End-User, Market Share, Demand, Supply, Technological Trends And Forecast Till... - October 21st, 2020
- US Food and Drug Administration Accepts for Priority Review Applications for OPDIVO (nivolumab) in Combination with CABOMETYX (cabozantinib) in... - October 21st, 2020
- DSEJ organises Webinar on Breast Cancer Disease- Early Detection Saves Lives - India Education Diary - October 21st, 2020
- Having Large Testicles May be linked to Cardiovascular Disease Italian Study Shows - Gilmore Health News - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Exclusive Report Analysis 2020-2025 - Aerospace Journal - October 21st, 2020
- Anti-Osteoporosis Therapy And Fracture Healing Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2028: Novartis, Johnson and Johnson, GlaxoSmithKline PLC, Roche... - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Research Conclusions|Business Plans|Strategies with Forecast 20 - PharmiWeb.com - October 17th, 2020
- Davina McCall spoke candidly about her experience of perimenopause and HRT on Loose Women - goodhousekeeping.com - October 17th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Report 2019 with Key Players, Regions, Trends, Market Growth, SWOT Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 17th, 2020
- Schedule Your Breast Cancer Screening this Month - raccoonvalleyradio.com - October 17th, 2020
- World Menopause Day: 5 must have products to cure hormonal imbalance - India Today - October 17th, 2020
- Earlier pubertal timing predicts higher psychosexuality in adulthood - PsyPost - October 17th, 2020
- The News Journal 5 things you can start doing now to help reduce your risk of breast cancer - The News Journal - October 17th, 2020
- UMass Amherst Recognized as a Top LGBTQ-Friendly Campus for 10th Consecutive Year - UMass News and Media Relations - October 17th, 2020
- Extensive new medi-wellness resort, RAKxa, will offer complete blueprint of health in Bangkok's 'Green Lung' - Spa Business - October 17th, 2020
- Raising awareness of menopause, what it is and why you arent alone - Brighton & Hove Independent - October 17th, 2020
- One key to improving medical care:... - Kirkland Reporter - October 17th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size 2020, Production, Share, Revenue, Analysis and Innovative Revolution and Forecast Report to 2026 -... - October 17th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size, Key Trends, Challenges and Standardization, Research, Key Players with COVID 19 Impact Analysis and... - October 7th, 2020
- Message to Rep. Wes Allen: HB1 is an attack on transgendered youths and parental rights - Montgomery Advertiser - October 7th, 2020
- Shoptalk: Parent company to temporarily close Edwards Grand Teton theater - Post Register - October 7th, 2020
- Press A, Be Gay: LGBTQ Representation in Video Games - QNotes - October 7th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Industry Key Drivers, Business Insights And Forecast 2024 | F. Hoffmann-La Roche, Merck Serono, Novartis - uco360.com - October 7th, 2020
- So where is our land? Where is the space for us? - Mail and Guardian - October 7th, 2020
- Sex and Menopause, According to a Neuroscientist - Glamour - October 7th, 2020
- Your Health Is on the Ballot: Why You Should Vote for Science in the 2020 Presidential Election - Prevention.com - October 7th, 2020
- Hormone therapy is an option to treat breast cancer - Hamilton Journal News - October 3rd, 2020
- Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Solid Analyzed Segmentation, Demand, Recent Share Estimation and Growth Prospects by Regions to 2022... - October 3rd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact: Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market | Strategic Industry Evolutionary Analysis Focus on Leading Key Players and Revenue Growth... - October 3rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy market size was US$ 15950 million and it is expected to reach US$ 17720 million by the end of 2026, with a CAGR of 1.5% -... - October 3rd, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Tablets Market Covid 19 Overview:Demand Analysis & Growth Opportunities By 2019-2026||ALLERGAN, Novo... - October 3rd, 2020
- Solving the Mystery of My Missing Menstruation - ELLE.com - October 3rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Technological Advancement & Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - October 1st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market - Quantitative Analysis, Current and Future Trends, 2018 to 2028 - The Market Records - October 1st, 2020
- Hormone replacement therapy market- factors responsible for driving or restraining the market - Credence Turbine - October 1st, 2020
- In the Business of Beautifying Hudson Valley, One Face at a Time Hebe Medical Spa in Fishkill, NY - Hudson Valley Style Magazine - October 1st, 2020
- The HER2 Testing market to Transcend the Covid-19 Barrier from 2021 onwards - The Market Records - October 1st, 2020
- Hormone therapy is an option to treat breast cancer - The Albany Herald - September 30th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Mithra Pharmaceuticals,... - September 30th, 2020
- Why Some Experts Say Cannabis Is Effective in Treating Menopause - Healthline - September 30th, 2020
- Ascendis Pharma A/S Announces Preliminary Six-Month Data from Open-Label Extension of Phase 2 PaTH Forward Trial and Files IND Amendment to Initiate... - September 30th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2019 - 2024 - The Market Records - September 30th, 2020
- Medical profession cares little for women with early onset menopause - The Independent - September 30th, 2020
- Trans youth are less likely to have suicidal thoughts with early care - Insider - INSIDER - September 30th, 2020
- Genomics Market to Rise at 19.5% CAGR and Reach USD 82.60 Billion by 2027; Advances in Diagnostic Applications will Lead to a Wider Product Adoption,... - September 30th, 2020
- Relationship of breastfeeding duration with joint pain and knee osteoarthritis in middle-aged Korean women: a cross-sectional study using the Korea... - September 30th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market is Set for Lucrative Growth During 20202026 Zion Market Research - The Daily Chronicle - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market 2019 Services, Demand, Size, Growth Trends, Business Opportunities, Industry Analysis, Top Players &... - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size is Thriving worldwide with Topmost Keyplayer Like:Eli Lilly, Pfizer, AbbVie, Novo Nordisk, Merck KGaA - Weekly... - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market share forecast to witness considerable growth from 2020 to 2025 | By Top Leading Vendors F. Hoffmann-La Roche,... - September 28th, 2020
- Everything You Need To Know About Ovarian Cancer Diagnosis - NDTV Doctor - September 28th, 2020
- New Detailed Information: Hormone Replacement Therapy Market By Global Trends, Business Growth, And Forecasts 2026 | Covid19 Impact Analysis | Key... - September 22nd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market has Huge Impact in Industry 2020 2026 - Verdant News - September 22nd, 2020
- Dar Bioscience Receives $0.9 million Under the Current Grant - BioSpace - September 22nd, 2020
- Early menopause puts women at 'significantly' higher risk of depression, study finds - TheSpec.com - September 22nd, 2020
- Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - The Bethel Citizen - September 18th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market-Segment Market Trends, Analysis and Forecast 2019 2023 - Scientect - September 18th, 2020
- Dyspareunia: What Causes Pain During Sex and How Can it Be Prevented? - News18 - September 18th, 2020
- Predictive Analytics in Healthcare Market Growth Rate, Demands, Status and Application Forecast to 2026 - AlgosOnline - September 18th, 2020
- Isle of Wight author calling on NHS to offer 'pain-free' cancer treatment option - Isle of Wight County Press - September 18th, 2020
- Dr. Roach: Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - The Detroit News - September 15th, 2020
- Assessing the COVID-19 Effect: Hormone Replacement Therapy Production Moderately Disrupted by Labor Shortages of Labor in Pandemic, Says Fact.MR - The... - September 15th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19: Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Share, Growth, Demand, Trends, Region Wise Analysis Of Top Players And Forecasts |Abbott... - September 15th, 2020
- The Chronicle of the Horse - The Chronicle of the Horse - September 15th, 2020
- Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - Hays Daily News - September 12th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Pharmaceutical Contract Manufacturing and Contract Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - The Market Chronicles - September 12th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Research Report Contains Key Players, Industry Overview, Supply Chain, Analysis and Forecast to 2020-2025 -... - September 12th, 2020
- The office is still in the closet - Bangalore Mirror - September 12th, 2020