A former bulging Bulldog from Walsall, who used to scoff Mr Whippy and McFlurry ice creams, has scooped a top slimming award after shedding a quarter of her bodyweight.
Eight-year-old Missi ballooned to a whopping 6st 13lb after devouring tubs of ice-cream and mammoth-sized portions more than 75 per cent over her ideal weight.
Her 24-year-old owner, Gemma Slattery, said that Missi would love nothing more than a Mr Whippy from the ice-cream van and even got them for FREE after striking up a friendship.
But after PDSA vets warned that the pooches health was at serious risk from her excess inches, her concerned owner cut out ice creams and her sumo-sized portions and increased her exercise. Missi can be seen waddling along above.
Every year vet charity PDSA helps the UKs fattest pets battle the bulge in Pet Fit Club a six-month diet and exercise challenge, specially tailored and overseen by its vets and nurses.
And now Missis calorie-filled ice-creams are a thing of the past and six months on, the strict diet and exercise programme has changed her life.
The loveable dog has lost so much weight around six inches off her waist that she was crowned second in the national competition.
Gemma said: Missi is a completely different dog now. Shes like a puppy again and has so much energy. She has a new-found love for her toys and will spend hours playing with them, its amazing to see.
Weve changed our routine and we go on long daily walks without fail, which she absolutely loves. She no longer waddles along, its a gallop!
One of the biggest changes Ive seen in her is her ability to climb the stairs. She couldnt do this before and meant we had to wash her in the paddling pool outside. But now climbing the stairs is easy for her, and she loves a bath in the tub!
She used to constantly bite her paws due to the pain her excess weight caused, but shes stopped doing this since losing weight. She also suffered from joint problems and I know that the weight-loss has helped reduce the pain and inflammation. To know shes healthier now is the best thing of all.
Pet Fit Club hasnt only impacted Missis life, but has changed Gemmas outlook too. Shes cut out junk food and increased her exercise and has lost a stone over the last six months.
Weve been on a weight-loss journey together and Im excited that this is only just the start for us, adds Gemma.
Gemma added: I cant recommend Pet Fit Club enough. They have been there every step of the way and Im so pleased that Missi can now lead a more healthy, happy and active life now.
My friends and neighbours cant believe how much weight shes lost. Pet Fit Club is the best thing we could have done for her and were going to carry on with the diet until she reaches her perfect weight.
Despite her impressive weight loss, Missi still has more weight to lose to reach her ideal weight 25kg (3st 13lb).
Missis programme has been supervised by PDSA vet nurse, Kay Brough, at Wolverhampton PDSA Pet Hospital.
Kay Brough said: The change I have seen in Missi has been remarkable. She looks like a completely different dog to the one that first came here six months ago. Every month weve seen the big changes in her as the weight has come off.
Her owner Gemma has been very dedicated, she has stuck to the diet and it has paid off in a big way.
Any owners who are worried about their pets weight should seek advice from their vet, who can work with them to get them on the right diet and safely increase their pets exercise levels.
PDSA Vet Nurse Nina Downing, who is on the Pet Fit Club judging panel, added: It has been hugely rewarding to see Missi and the other pets weight decrease over the last six months. Their success is testament to the hard work of their owners and our PDSA veterinary teams.
Pet obesity is a growing issue that affects millions of UK pets. We believe up to 50%* of dogs and cats in the UK are overweight or obese, which can lead to serious long term health problems and a shortened life expectancy.
- Effective Exercise Tips If You Want To Lose Weight Ahead Of Summer - Medical Daily - January 21st, 2020
- SMART Carpet and Flooring Issues New Year's Resolution Reminder: 'Remember Your Promise to Lose Weight and Stay Fit This Year? Get Started With Brand... - January 21st, 2020
- Losing a little weight can lower the risk of breast cancer - WTNH.com - January 21st, 2020
- Going for Short Walks Every Day Led to This Guy Losing 140 Pounds - menshealth.com - January 21st, 2020
- Is jogging really effective for weight loss? - The Standard - January 21st, 2020
- 'After Being Prescribed Diet Pills, I Found A Natural Way To Maintain My Weight With The 80-20 Diet' - msnNOW - January 21st, 2020
- 21 January 2020 6 steps to successful weight loss for women Obesity researcher Dr Nick Fuller - News - The University of Sydney - January 21st, 2020
- Feeling down and sluggish? Your thyroid could be to blame - ABC 4 - January 21st, 2020
- How to lose weight and live longer, by Britain's top diabetes expert - The Times - January 21st, 2020
- Rebel Wilson's trainer praises her dedication to losing weight, says she has been 'putting in the yards' daily - MEAWW - January 21st, 2020
- Losing weight in aid of Stepping Stone Hospice - Southern Courier - January 21st, 2020
- Small Diet Changes And A Push-Pull-Legs Routine Helped This Guy Drop 23Kg - Men's Health - January 21st, 2020
- Your Health Family: Feeling down and sluggish? Your thyroid could be to blame - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - January 21st, 2020
- Quick Bodyweight Workouts to Do When You Don't Feel Like Going to the Gym - Men's Journal - January 21st, 2020
- The inspiring story of one man's 330lbs body transformation - JOE.co.uk - January 21st, 2020
- This is basically promoting eating disorders Shoppers slam The Range for selling a bikini body weight loss aid - goodtoknow - January 21st, 2020
- Keto diet isnt the answer for weight loss, experts say. Heres what is - USA TODAY - January 20th, 2020
- Trying to lose weight? Eat your meal alone - Times of India - January 20th, 2020
- Losing weight off this organ helps improve sleep apnoea - The Star Online - January 20th, 2020
- 'I Followed The 80-20 Diet Rule And Tracked My Macros With MyFitnessPalAnd I Lost 40 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 20th, 2020
- James Martin weight loss how did the chef lose weight? - The Sun - January 20th, 2020
- Effective Steps for CrossFit Athletes to Lose Weight Without Counting Calories - BOXROX - January 20th, 2020
- Diet Demand Touts Benefits of Heart Healthy Diets for Longevity and Weight Loss - GlobeNewswire - January 20th, 2020
- Adele's body transformation was 'never about losing weight' - 9TheFIX - January 20th, 2020
- Fitness Revolution is helping me achieve my goals - Lake Placid Diet by Andy Flynn - LakePlacidNews.com | News and information on the Lake Placid and... - January 20th, 2020
- The reason is not divorced: why Adele is rapidly losing weight - The Times Hub - January 20th, 2020
- Singapore #Fitspo of the Week: Rayson Yong - Yahoo Singapore News - January 20th, 2020
- The Military diet: how does it work and can it order you to lose weight? - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: 5 ways to feel better and reveal your abs in 2020 - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson flaunts amazing weight loss transformation after declaring 2020 her 'year of health' - Fox News - January 17th, 2020
- Weed and weight: Why are cannabis consumers slimmer? - Leafly - January 17th, 2020
- Weight loss with the 5:2 diet: requires willpower but can be powerfully effective - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Women say having clear skin, losing weight and clean hair is the secret to getting an instant confidence boost - The Sun - January 17th, 2020
- Drinking This Much Water Per Day Was the Key to Jessica Simpson's 100 lb Weight Loss - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat with 5 simple tips and reveal those abs - The Sun - January 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Is it possible to lose weight without performing cardio? - Times of India - January 17th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge: The Lose Weight and Get Fit chef on trying to regain fitness and why carbs are back on the menu - inews - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose weight with just 5 healthy food swaps - Better Homes and Gardens - January 17th, 2020
- Malaysian teen shares painful experience of being body shamed despite losing weight, going to the gym - Malay Mail - January 17th, 2020
- Steve Harvey Tells Ellen DeGeneres He Stopped Trying to Lose Weight and He'll Just Make More Money Instead - AmoMama - January 17th, 2020
- 'I Made A Decision To Get Fit, Lose Weight And Push On To Being An Outfield Player' - Balls.ie - January 17th, 2020
- 22 Ways to Lose Weight Without Breaking a Sweat - Greatist - January 15th, 2020
- Why you may not be losing weight on the keto diet - INSIDER - January 15th, 2020
- Woodlands business owner aims to teach proper dieting for weight loss - Houston Chronicle - January 15th, 2020
- What 10 Obesity Experts Wish You Knew About Weight Loss - Prevention.com - January 15th, 2020
- Truth About Kate Middleton Starving Herself, Losing Weight While Trying To Get Pregnant - International Business Times - January 15th, 2020
- We must consider the consequences of diet culture - Daily Trojan Online - January 15th, 2020
- How To Lose Belly Fat: Avoid One Drink Regarded By Many As Healthy - International Business Times - January 15th, 2020
- Mum thought diet was making her lose weight - but it was breast cancer - Derbyshire Live - January 15th, 2020
- Is it your New Year's Resolution to lose weight, and lead a healthier lifestyle? - Leyton Orient FC - January 15th, 2020
- What is the DASH Diet? Guidelines for Losing Weight on the DASH Diet - Parade - January 15th, 2020
- Best breakfast for easy weight loss - eat this protein-fuelled food to lose weight fast - Express - January 15th, 2020
- How to lose weight in 6 months, according to this guy who lost 30 kgs by following this healthy plan - GQ India - January 15th, 2020
- Len Romes Local Health: Are you keeping to your resolution? - WYTV - January 15th, 2020
- 'I Counted Calories And Stuck To The 80-20 Rule To Lose WeightAnd I've Lost Over 150 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 4th, 2020
- Healthy Actions: Lets start the new year off on the right exercise foot - Akron Beacon Journal - January 4th, 2020
- Weight loss: What is the best way to slim down? Expert reveals top tips - Express - January 4th, 2020
- Blown your resolutions already? Tips for getting what you really want. - Seattle Times - January 4th, 2020
- Simon Cowell delighted with appearance following 20lbs weight loss - ABC FOX Montana - January 4th, 2020
- Tennis ace Jelena Dokic shows off incredible weight loss transformation after losing 53kg in 18 months - New Idea - January 4th, 2020
- How Keto and Walking Helped This Guy Lose Nearly 90 Pounds - menshealth.com - January 4th, 2020
- Could this be the last diet you'll ever need to do? - The Times - January 4th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How to Use Matcha Tea to Lose Weight - LatestLY - January 4th, 2020
- Full cream milk vs toned milk: Which one is better? - Times of India - January 4th, 2020
- How to lose weight and get fit in 2020: 20 easy tips, diet hacks and workout routines to help you get started - GQ India - January 4th, 2020
- Four stone weight loss has changed the life of Tipperary woman Paula - TipperaryLive.ie - January 4th, 2020
- 'Inspirational' mum transforms her life after long battle to lose weight and quit smoking - Bradford Telegraph and Argus - January 4th, 2020
- The New Year's Resolution that usually fails within the first month - Jacaranda FM - January 4th, 2020
- Why dieting can lead to loneliness - From the Grapevine - January 4th, 2020
- The Smart Equestrian's List to Brightening the Winter Blues - TheHorse.com - January 4th, 2020
- Getting fit, losing weight now easier at the Family Y - The Augusta Chronicle - January 2nd, 2020
- Man who lost 200lbs gives tips on losing weight, keeping it off - WISN Milwaukee - January 2nd, 2020
- Tipperary group celebrate year of great weight loss with Chatty Man Alan Carr - TipperaryLive.ie - January 2nd, 2020
- Best cars for achieving your New Years resolutions - Boston Herald - January 2nd, 2020
- Tyler Whitman From 'Million Dollar Listing' Reveals the One Big Weight Loss Move to Make for 2020 - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 2nd, 2020
- 5 reasons why you should try running and the best running gear you'll need - T3 - January 2nd, 2020
- NY's resolution to lose weight; study finds fasting could add years to life - KFI AM 640 - January 2nd, 2020
- Mark Labbett weight loss: The Beast drops three stone by cutting out one thing from diet - Express - January 2nd, 2020
- If You're Trying to Lose Weight, Should You Try Whole30? Here's What Registered Dietitians Say - POPSUGAR - January 2nd, 2020
- 'I thought I'd be in a wheelchair forever' - how weight loss has transformed this Blackpool mum's life - Blackpool Gazette - January 2nd, 2020