Andropause a gradual decreasein testosterone can affect men over 40
As a man reaches his 40s and beyond, he may realize that his sex life is no longer as good asit used to be and his waistlineis expanding. He might have trouble getting a good nights sleep, get irritable quickly or feel depressed. These symptoms may be the result of andropause, sometimes mistakenly called male menopause.
Andropause, which is considered a natural aspect of aging, is the slow decline of serum testosterone levels of about 1% a year starting at about the age of 30, says Nelson Bennett Jr., MD, a urologist at Northwestern Medicine. Its different from menopause, a sudden decrease in a womans hormone levels that causes ovulation to cease.
Testosterone, the major sex hormone in men, plays an essential, wide-ranging role in producing the traditional physical and mental characteristics of masculinity.
Testosterone is ubiquitous in virtually every organ and tissue inthe male body, including the brain, the sex organs, the muscles, the liver and the bones, which all have testosterone receptors, says Laurence Levine,MD, professor in the department of surgery in the division of urologyat Rush Medical College.
The gradual decrease in testosterone associated with andropausecan result in a variety of physiological and psychological symptoms including erectile dysfunction, increased body fat, low energy, low strength andmood swings.
Before a doctor makes a diagnosisof andropause, he or she will ruleout other conditions that may be associated with the symptoms, suchas cardiac problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity or depression. If symptoms of andropause continue after underlying conditions are treated and tests show that testosterone levels are normal for a mans age, the next step mightbe a drug like Viagra to treat the common symptom of erectile dysfunction.
Men experiencing the symptomsof andropause are advised to make healthier lifestyle choices. Bennett recommends aerobic exercise to release endorphins that improvemood, along with strength training to increase blood flow and strengthen the heart. He also advises a healthy dietand a decrease in alcohol and tobacco intake. I tell patients that whats good for their heart is also goodfor their penis and testicles,he says.
Bennett cautions men against taking over-the-counter supplements to increase testosterone levels. They have never been proven tobe helpful and may even contain unknown levels of testosterone or dangerous chemicals, he says.
Using testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) to treat andropause-related low testosterone is controversial, the Mayo Clinic says,as the benefits arent clear and there are possible risks.
Levine says to be wary of mens health clinics offering testosterone treatments. Mens health clinics may be staffed by a person whodoes not have expertise in low testosterone and [who] may prescribe treatment that is not medically appropriate, he says.
I recommend that men go to a urologist or an endocrinologist who has expertise in the specialty.
While andropause is the gradual decrease of testosterone that is considered a natural part of the aging process, some men have a medical condition called hypogonadism, a testosterone deficiency that results when the testicles produce little or no testosterone or the hypothalamusor the pituitary gland has a problem sending a signal to the testicles to produce testosterone. Hypogonadism can be caused by genetics, an injury, an infection or cancer treatment, among other issues. Levine says it can also be the result of stress or the use of opioids.
Unlike with andropause, menwith hypogonadism may be prescribed TRT, which can be delivered in a variety of ways. Men can inject testosterone themselves with a needle into a muscle every weekor two, a therapy thats typically covered by insurance, Bennett says.
Testosterone gels, which are applied once a day, are the most popular option, but they are not always covered by insurance and can cost between $200 and $400 a month out of pocket. The gels can be problematic though, Bennett says, since testosterone in the gel can be transferred to others, including children and pets.
TRT has some risks. Levine says it does not cause prostate cancer, but it can stimulate any sleeping prostate cancer cells a man may have. Also, if a man has had a recent cardiac event,he should check with his cardiologist before undergoing TRT.
Whether a man is experiencing symptoms of andropause caused by a low level of testosterone thats normal for his age or hypogonadism resulting from the bodys problem producing testosterone, its important to consult with a knowledgeable medical professional to get the proper diagnosis and learn about the appropriate options for each condition.
Continue reading here:
Male Menopause? Andropause | Chicago Health magazine
- Men May Be Going Extinct as They Are the Weaker Sex - Gilmore Health News - February 7th, 2020
- Male Menopause: Overview, Symptoms, and Treatment - January 30th, 2020
- Healthy Men: Benefits of male hormone replacement therapy - Duluth News Tribune - January 30th, 2020
- Red Velvet's Joy On How She Relieves Stress, Reveals Her Hopes For 2020 - soompi - January 12th, 2020
- Red Velvet Joy As A Special Guest In "Happy Together + Explains How She Deals With Stress And Shares Wishes For 2020 - Kdramastars - January 10th, 2020
- Yes, middle age-spread is real and dangerous - Ottawa Citizen - December 12th, 2019
- Andropause or male menopause: Causes and symptoms - Times of India - November 25th, 2019
- Quality Of Life And Stigma Among People Living With HIV/AIDS In Iran | HIV - Dove Medical Press - November 16th, 2019
- Andropause: A Helpful and Insightful Guide to Male Menopause - October 2nd, 2019
- The 'male menopause' - NHS - June 24th, 2019
- Andropause | Integrative Health Solutions - May 26th, 2019
- Andropause - Dr.Tan & Partners - May 26th, 2019
- The Complete Guide to Andropause + 5 Causes of Low ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | Oriental Health Solutions - April 30th, 2019
- What Are the Symptoms of Andropause? - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | The Journals of Gerontology: Series A ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause - Male Menopause - My Second Spring - April 30th, 2019
- 6 Midlife Crisis Stages by Jim Conway - Andropause ... - March 23rd, 2019
- Andropause | Psychology Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 11th, 2019
- Andropause Symptoms in Men | BioTE Medical - March 7th, 2019
- What Is Andropause and How Can You Treat It ... - February 8th, 2019
- Andropause or Male Menopause: What Causes It? - HealthXchange - February 2nd, 2019
- Andropause - Women's International Pharmacy - September 15th, 2018
- Are You Experiencing Andropause? - PornHub.com - September 11th, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy / Andropause Olympia ... - May 30th, 2018
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health ... - May 27th, 2018
- Andropause - Male Menopause with Low Testosterone Levels - May 25th, 2018
- Midlife Crisis - Andropause Society - Testosterone Deficiency - May 14th, 2018
- Andropause & Testosterone Treatment Singapore | Men's Health - April 26th, 2018
- Top 8 Andropause Natural Treatment Options ... - April 26th, 2018
- Andropause Symptoms | Andropause Symptoms - April 2nd, 2018
- Andropause and Mental health Issues Psychological ... - February 18th, 2018
- Advanced Health and Vitality - February 9th, 2018
- Night Sweats In Men | Help For Night Sweats - January 31st, 2018
- Male Andropause Hormone Testing | ZRT Laboratory - November 18th, 2017
- Is Andropause Real? - Doctor Murray - October 7th, 2017
- Is Menopause Misery a Disease? - South Florida Reporter - September 4th, 2017
- Super kamagra - Super kamagra usa - Forward Florida - August 31st, 2017
- Anatomy and physiology of ageing 8: the reproductive system - Nursing Times - August 29th, 2017
- Do men go through menopause? - Bel Marra Health - August 23rd, 2017
- Kamagra soft tablets - Kamagra soft tabs - Filipino Express - August 20th, 2017
- Viagra super active canada - Best over the counter viagra alternative - The Santa Clara - August 20th, 2017
- Buy kamagra oral jelly sydney australia - Bournville Village - August 8th, 2017
- Risks of taking expired viagra - Viagra and red bull safe - The Maravi Post - August 2nd, 2017
- Jury: AbbVie should pay $150M for Androgel marketing; AbbVie ... - Cook County Record - July 31st, 2017
- AndroGel Testosterone Lawsuit Plaintiff Awarded $150 Million for ... - RX Injury Help (press release) (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Golden Lion Review (UPDATED 2017): Don't Buy Before You Read This! - Diets In Review (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system | www.qgazette ... - Western Queens Gazette - July 8th, 2017
- Dumaguing: Do men undergo menopause? | SunStar - Sun.Star - July 7th, 2017
- Andropause: Male 'Menopause' - Jewish Link of New Jersey - July 6th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system - Western Queens Gazette - July 5th, 2017
- What Are the Signs of Male Menopause? - July 3rd, 2017
- Men, your biological clocks are ticking too - Mumbai Mirror - Mumbai Mirror - June 24th, 2017
- Rawlings suffering from andropause at age 70 - Mallam Issah - GhanaWeb - June 24th, 2017
- Testosterone Support Still Going Strong in Men's Supplements ... - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2017
- The Physical Pain Of Aging Is Not Inevitable - Forbes - June 17th, 2017
- What is Ostarine and Why are Weightlifters Taking It? - The Barbell Spin (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- Bayer levitra professional pro - Cheap levitra professional - Levitra professional overnight delivery - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- Online video poker ratings - Gambling site - Casino games online in usa - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- No download casinos for mac - Best line casino - Best rated us online casino - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Leading American Male Health Clinics Released in New Report - Digital Journal - June 2nd, 2017
- French kiss video - Chatham ontario - Widowed women - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Shim Clinic Providing STD and HIV Testing Facilities at its Centers in Singapore - satPRnews (press release) - June 2nd, 2017
- Boost sex drive: These are the five supplements EVERY man should be taking - Express.co.uk - May 26th, 2017
- Millendo Therapeutics Announces MLE4901 Data Presentations at ... - Business Wire (press release) - May 16th, 2017
- Why Is The Risk Of Getting Cancer Higher Than It Used To Be? - Forbes - May 12th, 2017
- Physical Exercise for Men With Andropause - satPRnews (press release) - May 12th, 2017
- Of men's physical problems - The Herald - May 12th, 2017
- Successful Aging and the important role hormones play - Glendale Star - May 12th, 2017
- Low libido? This may be the reason - Bel Marra Health - May 3rd, 2017
- 9 Surprising Facts About Your Sex Drive (and Your Partner's!) - The Good Men Project (blog) - April 30th, 2017
- Male Menopause: The Hidden Cause of Mid-Life Marriage Meltdown - The Good Men Project (blog) - April 28th, 2017
- Worried about low T? Treatments unlikely to deliver what they promise -- and could hurt you - Genetic Literacy Project - April 26th, 2017
- Dr. Paul Clayton, SSO of Gencor and Researcher of Testofen, is Interviewed on FiveHundo.com - Yahoo Finance - April 26th, 2017
- Is male menopause real? Low testosterone level signs and treatment tips - Bel Marra Health - April 24th, 2017
- A sports car with an attractive price - Reflejos - April 24th, 2017
- Depressed and Craving Carbs? - Newsmax - April 21st, 2017
- Irritable Male Syndrome: The First Hidden Cause of Mid-Life Marriage Meltdown - The Good Men Project (blog) - April 16th, 2017
- Can osteoporosis be reversed? 14 natural ways to treat osteoporosis - Bel Marra Health - April 8th, 2017
- The one thing every man should do for his health - Bel Marra Health - April 1st, 2017