What Is Testosterone?
Testosterone is a hormone that is necessary for proper muscular development and masculinity. Testosterone is made in the testes (testicles). Women also have testosterone, but in much smaller amounts than in men. If testosterone levels are below normal, a doctor may prescribe one of several types of treatments. However, there is debate about who needs to be treated.
Testosterone levels decrease as men age. Sometimes this lower level of testosterone is termed "andropause" or "male menopause." Symptoms of male menopause may not be caused by low testosterone, but additional research is needed. Many men do not show any symptoms of decreasing levels of testosterone.
Although osteoporosis (brittle bone disease) is usually thought of as occurring mainly in women, the disease in men is commonly caused by low testosterone. Low testosterone levels can cause bones to thin, weaken, and become more likely to fracture.
Low testosterone doesn't always interfere with sex, but it is possible. Some men with low testosterone may experience a drop in libido while others lose interest in sex completely. Low testosterone levels can make sex more difficult because it may be tougher to get or keep an erection. Low testosterone might not be the sole cause of low libido; stress, sleep deprivation, depression, and chronic medical illnesses can also alter a man's sex drive.
Some of the changes that may occur with low testosterone are nonspecific symptoms such as easy irritability, mood changes, poor concentration, and feeling fatigued or having less energy. However, these symptoms may be caused by a condition other than low testosterone.
One of the many functions of testosterone is to help produce sperm. When testosterone levels are low, the "sperm count" can also be low. If the sperm count is very low, the man may not be able to father a child.
Although increased age is the most common cause of decreased testosterone levels in men, there can be other causes. Other common causes include:
You might need to be tested for low testosterone if you have erectile dysfunction (ED), a very low sex drive, low sperm count, loss of body hair, decrease of muscle mass, and osteoporosis. Conditions other than low testosterone could be the underlying cause of one's symptoms. A doctor will want to rule out other conditions before diagnosing and treating low testosterone.
Tests for testosterone levels are done by sampling the blood early in the morning when levels of testosterone are highest. Your doctor may want to run a second test a few days later to check for consistency in testosterone levels measured. Normal testosterone levels range from about 300 to 1000 nanograms per deciliter (ng/dL), although some labs consider 200 ng/dL the cutoff for low testosterone. Your doctor will help interpret the tests for you.
If you are diagnosed with low testosterone, your primary care doctor may suggest you see a specialist such as an urologist or an endocrinologist. Not everyone with low testosterone will need or qualify for treatment. These specialists will help guide your treatment and design an approach to your low testosterone problem that is best for you.
Low testosterone treatment is designed to boost testosterone levels. Studies suggest this increase in testosterone can strengthen muscles, protect bones, and improve sex drive. Testosterone replacement therapy is only recommended for men who have blood levels that show low testosterone. Such treatments can have different effects from one man to another so it is difficult to predict the treatment outcomes for any one individual.
Testosterone injections are the least expensive form of testosterone treatment, but they can be painful. The shots are given about every 7 to 22 days and the body slowly absorbs the testosterone into the bloodstream. Injections can be given into the muscles or implanted as pellets. Testosterone levels can increase and then fall between shots.
Gel or patch treatments for low testosterone are placed directly on the skin. The hormone seeps out of the patch or gel and goes through the skin, and is slowly absorbed into the blood. Gels and patches are applied every day, and as a result, the level of testosterone remains fairly steady. A drawback to these treatments is they sometimes can cause itching, skin irritation, and blisters. In addition, women or children should not come in contact with skin that has been treated with a gel for 2 hours to avoid absorbing any testosterone.
Buccal patches are placed on the gums above the incisors (teeth) about every 12 hours and slowly release testosterone. They are not effective if swallowed. Buccal patches may cause a bitter taste, irritation to mouth tissues and gums, and may cause headaches. Fortunately, these side effects lessen over time. The patient can eat, drink, and kiss others while using buccal patches because they are not directly exposed to testosterone.
Although testosterone therapy has been tried in many individuals, the risks and benefits of this treatment over many years is still not known because such studies are still underway. Testosterone should not be given to men with untreated prostate cancer, untreated sleep apnea, or untreated breast cancer. In some men, testosterone therapy may need to be stopped if the risks outweigh the benefits.
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
2005-2017 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
- Healthy Men: What women need to know about men's health - Greater Milwaukee Today - November 20th, 2020
- 24 Ways to Increase Penis Sensitivity: Tips, Techniques, and More - Healthline - October 18th, 2020
- Centrapeak Testosterone Booster Review: Is it Better than Others on the Market? - generationiron.com - October 18th, 2020
- Erectile Dysfunction: A Look at the Most Common Causes - Feed Leader - October 10th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Announces Fiscal Q4 2020 Net Revenue of $14.9 Million, an Increase of 82% Sequentially, and 766% Year-Over-Year - BioSpace - October 6th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience to Report Fourth Quarter and Full Year Fiscal 2020 Results and Provide Business Update on Tuesday, October 6, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - October 6th, 2020
- Whats Causing My Low Testosterone? - September 29th, 2020
- Indianapolis Low T Center & Men's Clinic | Sleep Apnea ... - September 29th, 2020
- Could This Device Help Save Covid-19 Patients Before the ICU? - Houstonia Magazine - September 6th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Announces Manufacture and Delivery of Healight(TM) Devices for Use in COVID-19 Clinical Study - Yahoo Finance - August 17th, 2020
- How can you actively boost your low libido? - Big Think - August 11th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Announces Regulatory Approval of ZolpiMist(R) by Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration - BioSpace - July 30th, 2020
- New Osteoporosis Recommendations From AACE Help Therapy Selection - Medscape - July 25th, 2020
- Hormone therapy no cure-all for 'low T' in ageing men - Health24 - July 20th, 2020
- Strain engineering of the magnetic multipole moments and anomalous Hall effect in pyrochlore iridate thin films - Science Advances - July 20th, 2020
- Does Low Testosterone Cause Night Sweats? - July 7th, 2020
- Treating low testosterone levels - Harvard Health - July 7th, 2020
- Some people who experienced no coronavirus symptoms may now be immune to Covid-19 - here's what the study says - Derry Journal - July 4th, 2020
- AGING: Hormone therapy no cure-all for low T in men - Palm Beach Post - July 2nd, 2020
- COVID 19 Effect on Low T Therapy Market: an Increase in Technology Development Will Heighten Growth of Key Players: AbbVie, Endo International, Eli... - June 23rd, 2020
- Freddy McConnell Gave Birth to His Son. Then His Life Changed. - Esquire - June 18th, 2020
- Low T Therapy Market: What Will Happen to Key Players After COVID 19 Ends: AbbVie, Endo International, Eli Lilly - Cole of Duty - June 9th, 2020
- Ego might drive men to testosterone therapy, but it helps with certain conditions - The Columbus Dispatch - June 8th, 2020
- What Are T-Cells and Can They Protect You from COVID-19? - Labmate Online - June 8th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience to Report Fiscal Q3 FY 2020 Results and Business Update - Yahoo Finance - May 7th, 2020
- COVID-19: T cells offer clues to the potential power of Roche's Actemra - FierceBiotech - May 6th, 2020
- Peek on Low T Therapy Market Future, Extensive Studies and Prediction of Top Manufacturers Condition: AbbVie, Endo International, Eli Lilly - 3rd... - May 6th, 2020
- New clues on how to treat COVID-19 from T cell counts - The Nation - May 3rd, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Signs Development Agreement with Sterling Medical Devices to Advance the Development of Healight as a Potential Coronavirus Treatment... - April 29th, 2020
- Low T Center Is Committed To Meeting The Needs Of Colorado Patients During The COVID-19 Emergency - P&T Community - April 20th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Announces Positive Results from an Independently Conducted Clinical Study of the Company's Licensed COVID-19 IgG/IgM Point-of-Care... - April 17th, 2020
- The testosterone myth - The Week Magazine - April 12th, 2020
- Low T Therapy Market Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast 2020 2024 - Monroe Scoop - March 26th, 2020
- Aytu BioScience Submits Notice of Commercialization to the FDA, Allowing for Company's Distribution of its 2-10 Minute COVID-19 IgG/IgM Point-of-Care... - March 23rd, 2020
- No, not everything about mens sexual behaviour can be explained by testosterone - Scroll.in - March 23rd, 2020
- Letters to the editor - Boston Herald - March 9th, 2020
- Low Testosterone - Symptoms & Treatment | Everyday Health - March 6th, 2020
- Lost revenue from low T fares must be recouped - Boston Herald - March 1st, 2020
- Indiana Regenerative Medicine Institute Offers Innovative Approaches in Regenerative Medicine, Hormone Replacement and Pain Management - Carmel... - March 1st, 2020
- Low Testosterone Causes | Everyday Health - February 24th, 2020
- Diagnosis, treatment and how to avoid osteoporosis - The Gazette - January 30th, 2020
- The Signs a Testosterone Booster is Needed - Science Times - January 22nd, 2020
- New Guideline for Testosterone Treatment in Men With 'Low T' - Medscape - January 9th, 2020
- John R. Hampton III, MD, is recognized by Continental Who's Who - PRNewswire - November 27th, 2019
- Expert Insights on Osteoporosis From the ACR/ARP 2019 Annual Meeting - Rheumatology Advisor - November 27th, 2019
- Low T Specialist - Dallas, TX & Frisco, TX: Men's T-Clinic ... - October 5th, 2019
- Does Insurance Cover Low T Treatment - Mantality Health - October 5th, 2019
- Low Testosterone Therapy (TRT) and Treatment from Low T Center - September 27th, 2019
- Low T Center, 549 East County Line Road, Building 4 Suite D ... - March 31st, 2019
- Low T Symptoms | Low Testosterone | Signs of Low T - March 12th, 2019
- Low T Treatment in Texas & Illinois | SynergenX Health ... - February 18th, 2019
- The Lowdown on Low-T - Discover Health - Rush University ... - February 18th, 2019
- The Low T Scam? - Testosterone Centers of Texas - Low T ... - February 18th, 2019
- Low T 99 - Testosterone Therapy: Bellevue, Seattle, Tacoma ... - December 31st, 2018
- Men, Low T, and the Facts | Lifespan - October 1st, 2018
- Denver Low T Medical Clinic and Testosterone Therapy Center - August 6th, 2018
- You've Heard About "Low T" But What About "Low E"? - April 23rd, 2018
- Low T 99 - 10 Photos - Health & Medical - 1239 120th Ave NE ... - April 23rd, 2018
- Low Testosterone Treatment - Carolina Men's Clinic - April 23rd, 2018
- Low T-Helper (CD4) Cell Level - Symptoms and Diagnosis - March 2nd, 2018
- ED Clinic Nashville TN, Erectile Dysfunction Treatment, Low T - February 10th, 2018
- Low-Testosterone (Low-T) - Controversy Over ... - AARP - January 11th, 2018
- Low testosterone symptoms | Effects of low testosterone - January 11th, 2018
- About Low Testosterone | Low T Center - December 29th, 2017
- Low Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Low T ... - Men's T Clinic - November 12th, 2017
- low t | eBay - November 12th, 2017
- Low-T (Low Testosterone) Quiz: Symptoms, Signs & Treatment - October 22nd, 2017
- Erectile Dysfunction/Low T Men's Health Georgia - September 4th, 2017
- 10 easy ways to transform old band T-shirts into something new - Alternative Press - August 30th, 2017
- AbbVie Hit With $150 Million Loss in Low-T Cardiac Trial - Lexology (registration) - August 19th, 2017
- Low T Center returning to sponsor Sorenson - ESPN - August 18th, 2017
- Older men with 'low T' can improve their sex lives with testosterone therapy, study says - Men's Fitness - August 18th, 2017
- Center for Men | Tulsa Men's Clinic | Tulsa Low T - August 17th, 2017
- `Make Men Great Again' Speakers Bash Trans People While Pumping Up America's Girly Men - Southern Poverty Law Center - August 10th, 2017
- Doctors Address Low Testosterone Ads - CBS St. Louis - August 9th, 2017
- Low T - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Ehormones - August 2nd, 2017
- What does a low T cell count mean? DoctorNDTV Queries - August 2nd, 2017
- Column: Testosterone treatment reserved for men with symptoms ... - The Daily Courier - July 5th, 2017
- Testosterone treatment reserved for men with symptoms - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - July 5th, 2017
- Low T Trial: Testosterone Gel Increases Plaque in Arteries - DrugWatch.com - June 2nd, 2017