What Is Testosterone?
Testosterone is a hormone that is necessary for proper muscular development and masculinity. Testosterone is made in the testes (testicles). Women also have testosterone, but in much smaller amounts than in men. If testosterone levels are below normal, a doctor may prescribe one of several types of treatments. However, there is debate about who needs to be treated.
Testosterone levels decrease as men age. Sometimes this lower level of testosterone is termed "andropause" or "male menopause." Symptoms of male menopause may not be caused by low testosterone, but additional research is needed. Many men do not show any symptoms of decreasing levels of testosterone.
Although osteoporosis (brittle bone disease) is usually thought of as occurring mainly in women, the disease in men is commonly caused by low testosterone. Low testosterone levels can cause bones to thin, weaken, and become more likely to fracture.
Low testosterone doesn't always interfere with sex, but it is possible. Some men with low testosterone may experience a drop in libido while others lose interest in sex completely. Low testosterone levels can make sex more difficult because it may be tougher to get or keep an erection. Low testosterone might not be the sole cause of low libido; stress, sleep deprivation, depression, and chronic medical illnesses can also alter a man's sex drive.
Some of the changes that may occur with low testosterone are nonspecific symptoms such as easy irritability, mood changes, poor concentration, and feeling fatigued or having less energy. However, these symptoms may be caused by a condition other than low testosterone.
One of the many functions of testosterone is to help produce sperm. When testosterone levels are low, the "sperm count" can also be low. If the sperm count is very low, the man may not be able to father a child.
Although increased age is the most common cause of decreased testosterone levels in men, there can be other causes. Other common causes include:
You might need to be tested for low testosterone if you have erectile dysfunction (ED), a very low sex drive, low sperm count, loss of body hair, decrease of muscle mass, and osteoporosis. Conditions other than low testosterone could be the underlying cause of one's symptoms. A doctor will want to rule out other conditions before diagnosing and treating low testosterone.
Tests for testosterone levels are done by sampling the blood early in the morning when levels of testosterone are highest. Your doctor may want to run a second test a few days later to check for consistency in testosterone levels measured. Normal testosterone levels range from about 300 to 1000 nanograms per deciliter (ng/dL), although some labs consider 200 ng/dL the cutoff for low testosterone. Your doctor will help interpret the tests for you.
If you are diagnosed with low testosterone, your primary care doctor may suggest you see a specialist such as an urologist or an endocrinologist. Not everyone with low testosterone will need or qualify for treatment. These specialists will help guide your treatment and design an approach to your low testosterone problem that is best for you.
Low testosterone treatment is designed to boost testosterone levels. Studies suggest this increase in testosterone can strengthen muscles, protect bones, and improve sex drive. Testosterone replacement therapy is only recommended for men who have blood levels that show low testosterone. Such treatments can have different effects from one man to another so it is difficult to predict the treatment outcomes for any one individual.
Testosterone injections are the least expensive form of testosterone treatment, but they can be painful. The shots are given about every 7 to 22 days and the body slowly absorbs the testosterone into the bloodstream. Injections can be given into the muscles or implanted as pellets. Testosterone levels can increase and then fall between shots.
Gel or patch treatments for low testosterone are placed directly on the skin. The hormone seeps out of the patch or gel and goes through the skin, and is slowly absorbed into the blood. Gels and patches are applied every day, and as a result, the level of testosterone remains fairly steady. A drawback to these treatments is they sometimes can cause itching, skin irritation, and blisters. In addition, women or children should not come in contact with skin that has been treated with a gel for 2 hours to avoid absorbing any testosterone.
Buccal patches are placed on the gums above the incisors (teeth) about every 12 hours and slowly release testosterone. They are not effective if swallowed. Buccal patches may cause a bitter taste, irritation to mouth tissues and gums, and may cause headaches. Fortunately, these side effects lessen over time. The patient can eat, drink, and kiss others while using buccal patches because they are not directly exposed to testosterone.
Although testosterone therapy has been tried in many individuals, the risks and benefits of this treatment over many years is still not known because such studies are still underway. Testosterone should not be given to men with untreated prostate cancer, untreated sleep apnea, or untreated breast cancer. In some men, testosterone therapy may need to be stopped if the risks outweigh the benefits.
IMAGES PROVIDED BY:
2005-2017 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
- Low T Specialist - Dallas, TX & Frisco, TX: Men's T-Clinic ... - October 5th, 2019
- Does Insurance Cover Low T Treatment - Mantality Health - October 5th, 2019
- Low Testosterone Therapy (TRT) and Treatment from Low T Center - September 27th, 2019
- Low T Center, 549 East County Line Road, Building 4 Suite D ... - March 31st, 2019
- Low T Symptoms | Low Testosterone | Signs of Low T - March 12th, 2019
- Low T Treatment in Texas & Illinois | SynergenX Health ... - February 18th, 2019
- The Lowdown on Low-T - Discover Health - Rush University ... - February 18th, 2019
- The Low T Scam? - Testosterone Centers of Texas - Low T ... - February 18th, 2019
- Low T 99 - Testosterone Therapy: Bellevue, Seattle, Tacoma ... - December 31st, 2018
- Men, Low T, and the Facts | Lifespan - October 1st, 2018
- Denver Low T Medical Clinic and Testosterone Therapy Center - August 6th, 2018
- You've Heard About "Low T" But What About "Low E"? - April 23rd, 2018
- Low T 99 - 10 Photos - Health & Medical - 1239 120th Ave NE ... - April 23rd, 2018
- Low Testosterone Treatment - Carolina Men's Clinic - April 23rd, 2018
- Low T-Helper (CD4) Cell Level - Symptoms and Diagnosis - March 2nd, 2018
- ED Clinic Nashville TN, Erectile Dysfunction Treatment, Low T - February 10th, 2018
- Low-Testosterone (Low-T) - Controversy Over ... - AARP - January 11th, 2018
- Low testosterone symptoms | Effects of low testosterone - January 11th, 2018
- About Low Testosterone | Low T Center - December 29th, 2017
- Low Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Low T ... - Men's T Clinic - November 12th, 2017
- low t | eBay - November 12th, 2017
- Low-T (Low Testosterone) Quiz: Symptoms, Signs & Treatment - October 22nd, 2017
- Erectile Dysfunction/Low T Men's Health Georgia - September 4th, 2017
- 10 easy ways to transform old band T-shirts into something new - Alternative Press - August 30th, 2017
- AbbVie Hit With $150 Million Loss in Low-T Cardiac Trial - Lexology (registration) - August 19th, 2017
- Low T Center returning to sponsor Sorenson - ESPN - August 18th, 2017
- Older men with 'low T' can improve their sex lives with testosterone therapy, study says - Men's Fitness - August 18th, 2017
- Center for Men | Tulsa Men's Clinic | Tulsa Low T - August 17th, 2017
- `Make Men Great Again' Speakers Bash Trans People While Pumping Up America's Girly Men - Southern Poverty Law Center - August 10th, 2017
- Doctors Address Low Testosterone Ads - CBS St. Louis - August 9th, 2017
- Low T - Testosterone Replacement Therapy - Ehormones - August 2nd, 2017
- What does a low T cell count mean? DoctorNDTV Queries - August 2nd, 2017
- Column: Testosterone treatment reserved for men with symptoms ... - The Daily Courier - July 5th, 2017
- Testosterone treatment reserved for men with symptoms - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - July 5th, 2017
- Low T Trial: Testosterone Gel Increases Plaque in Arteries - DrugWatch.com - June 2nd, 2017
- Low Testosterone Treatment in St. Louis | Low T Revolution - May 9th, 2017
- Derrike Cope is Back in the Saddle with Low T Center - PR Newswire (press release) - April 8th, 2017
- Testosterone Therapy Is Popular, but Studies Are Mixed - New York Times - March 28th, 2017
- 5 uncommon signs of low testosterone - Bel Marra Health - March 25th, 2017
- Doctors Say Some May Be Suffering From 'Male Menopause' - CBS Pittsburgh / KDKA - March 25th, 2017
- Low Testosterone MDL 2545 - US Recall News (press release) - March 15th, 2017
- Could It Be...Low T? - Huffington Post - March 1st, 2017
- Testosterone Therapy Improves Bone Mineral Density In Men With Low T - MedicalResearch.com (blog) - February 23rd, 2017
- Testosterone Therapy May Have Benefits, But Risks Too - HealthDay - February 23rd, 2017
- 'Low T' Tx Studies Yield Mixed Findings for Heart - MedPage Today - February 21st, 2017
- Testosterone treatment improves bone density, anemia in men over 65 - Medical Xpress - February 21st, 2017
- Low Testosterone ( Low T ) Treatments - MedicineNet - January 30th, 2017
- Low T | Healthy Habits Wellness Clinic - January 30th, 2017
- New study adds caution to testosterone therapy for "low T ... - January 3rd, 2017
- Mantality - Low Testosterone Treatments - January 3rd, 2017
- Low T Center Careers and Employment | Indeed.com - November 28th, 2016
- Low T Medical Clinic and Low Testosterone Therapy - November 28th, 2016
- Low T - October 2nd, 2016
- Low Testosterone (Low T) Center - Henderson, NV - August 18th, 2016
- Low Testosterone Denver - October 24th, 2015
- Low Testosterone - Renew Man - August 26th, 2015
- Boost Your Low Testosterone! Increase Low T Levels Naturally - August 1st, 2015
- 9 Warning Signs of Low Testosterone - Healthline - May 22nd, 2015
- Low Testosterone (Low-T): Facts About Symptoms and Testing - May 22nd, 2015
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy | Low T Center - May 22nd, 2015
- Common Side Effects of Low Testosterone in Men - May 22nd, 2015
- Low Testosterone (Low T) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment ... - May 22nd, 2015
- Low T Natural Treatment Aurora - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Victor Marx--- Low T Center Ambassador - Video - May 2nd, 2015
- Low T Treatment Injections Aurora - Video - May 2nd, 2015
- Treatments For Low T Aurora - Video - April 30th, 2015
- Low T Treatment Options Aurora - Video - April 30th, 2015
- Low T Center and Rick Fairless' Strokers Dallas Team Up - Video - April 22nd, 2015
- Genobank Grundschulen Cup 2015 Low T Ball GS Liebenau - Video - March 19th, 2015
- Are Low T Drugs Putting Patients At High Risk - Video - March 14th, 2015
- How Even Borderline Low T Might Affect Your Health - Video - March 13th, 2015
- Q&A #3 | Talking to Friends & Family About Depersonalization, My Dog, Low T & Depression + MORE - Video - March 10th, 2015
- Center for Men | 918-622-2500 | Find Tulsa Low T Clinics - Video - March 8th, 2015
- Tulsa Low T | Center for Men | 918-622-2500 - Video - March 8th, 2015
- Tulsa Low T | 918-622-2500 | Center for Men - Video - March 8th, 2015
- Center for Men | Find Tulsa Low T Clinics | 918-622-2500 - Video - March 8th, 2015
- 918-622-2500 | Center for Men | Find Tulsa Low T Clinics - Video - March 8th, 2015
- Low T? qt - Video - March 8th, 2015
- 918-622-2500 | Tulsa Low T | Center for Men - Video - March 7th, 2015
- Center for Men | 918-622-2500 | Tulsa Low T - Video - March 7th, 2015