Lets face it trying to lose weight after your 60 years old is really hard. Back in the day, you could eat whatever you wanted (for the most part). Now, you eat a Hersheys Kiss, and you gain 2 pounds overnight.
As our bodies age, we lose our ability to eat whatever we want. Suddenly, we have to track calories and steps to stay ahead of the scale.
Before we get into 9 ways you can realistically lose weight, stay in shape, and feel like youre 25 again, its important to understand why keeping the weight off has suddenly become so difficult.
If youre 65+ and are enrolled in Medicare, there are plans that offer free gym memberships as a part of your health insurance. It's never been easier to get motivated and stay in shape! Learn more
Losing and maintaining your weight can start to become an issue as early as age 50, though many experience this annoyance around age 60.
What is going on?
For starters, your metabolism slows down as you age.
Robert Herbst, a personal trainer and 19-time World Champion in powerlifting explains, Im 60, so I know what it means to be 60. The slowing of the metabolism is a function of decreased production of testosterone and human growth hormone (HGH), which causes a loss of muscle mass.
Dont worry that loss of muscle mass can be reversed, and well get to that in the next section.
Carolyn Dean, MD and author of 30 books, including The Complete Natural Medicine Guide to Womens Health also explains, The loss of nutrients such as magnesium has decreased the production of metabolism-boosting hormones, so your weight loss efforts are handicapped.
In essence, this isnt your fault. With age, your body becomes less efficient with producing the key hormones it needs, which makes losing weight well, really hard.
For women, perimenopause and menopause are a reality of your 50s and 60s. Because of this shift, you actually burn fewer calories than you used to.
Jill McKay, Certified Personal Trainer and Group Fitness Instructor, explains, With menstruation, our body temperature would fluctuate, so we would get a bonus calorie burn of about 300 calories per month. Its not much, but it adds up over time.
Another issue that comes with both perimenopause and menopause is insulin-resistance, which makes losing weight even more difficult.
This means that the things you used to eat, you cant eat anymore! That also goes for portions you might not be able to eat as much as you could before without gaining weight.
When youre nearing retirement, theres more time. More time to exercise, of course, but is that really how we like to spend our free time?
Jill notes that, generally speaking, older adults often have more opportunities for socializing (and better finances to go to nice dinners).
In fact, were more likely to eat more if were around other people who are eating. All that socializing is making it harder to stay in shape.
For most people, losing weight after 60 is hard, but thats normal. However, if losing weight is exceptionally hard, you may want to check with your doctor that you dont have any health conditions.
The two most common health conditions that can cause weight gain are 1) the thyroid losing function, and 2) insulin becoming less functional.
The common test called hemoglobin A1c can tell you if youre able to metabolize your sugars well. If not, you could be at risk for diabetes.
For women, these conditions are most common around menopause.
So, losing weight after 60 is a real problem that many men and women face. However, there are some tricks to nudging that weight off so that you can tip the scale in your favor.
Related: Over 60? How to Use Smartphone Apps to Lose Weight and Track Fitness
Strength training, also called resistance training, isnt usually the first thing older adults think of when they think of exercise. Typically, cardio exercises, like walking on a treadmill or hopping on an elliptical are the most common.
However, Idea Fitness Trainer of the Year, Carol Michaels, worries that many seniors are forgetting about strength training.
The missing exercise component to help those over 60 lose weight is oftentimes strength training. This is an exercise using weights (or your own body weight) to strengthen and build muscle. It increases the size and strength of the muscle fibers and strengthens the tendons, ligaments, and bones.
As we age, we lose muscle mass mainly because of the slowing metabolism, which then contributes to an even slower metabolism, and suddenly, youre in a vicious cycle.
However, you can stop that cycle of muscle loss by strength training in fact, you can reverse the muscle loss at any age.
Carol continues, Since muscle is metabolically active, the more muscle mass that you have, the faster your metabolism. Therefore, strength training can help with weight loss.
But the benefits of strength training dont stop at weight loss. Other benefits of strength training include:
Who thought exercise could actually energize you?
Robert Herbst offers another way to think about strength training, The body will build additional muscle which is metabolically active and burns calories, even when at rest. Having this new muscle also raises the metabolism, just like a six cylinder car burns more gas than a four cylinder one, even when idling at a red light.
In essence, your new muscle will help you burn more fat, and youve suddenly stopped the vicious cycle of aging, and instead started a cycle of weight loss and weight management.
Now that were on the same page strength training is awesome! you might be wondering how exactly to go about this.
Carol says that many older adults around age 60 dont know where to begin. Should you go to the gym and use the machines? Should you buy some free weights?
A few popular machines you can use at the gym
She explains, Although machines can be helpful for those with balance issues, exercise with free weights has several benefits.
Free weights can be used at home or at the gym
Gyms also have free weights, so if youd rather pay for a gym membership than buy your own free weights, you have the choice.
Sure, strength training sounds nice, but if you think Im going to do it every single day for 2 hours a day
Dont worry. You dont have to do strength training like a madman to get the benefits.
Carol suggests that you should aim for 2 times per week.
Strengthen each muscle group, alternating from upper to lower body. Make sure to work the front, back, and side of the body so that you do not create imbalances. If you are new to exercise and over 60, you might start with a very light weight.
Once you have your exercises planned, Carol suggests doing 5-10 repetitions of that exercise. By the 5-8th repetition, you should start to feel the muscle really working. By the final repetition, you should feel that youve worked the muscle, but youre not exhausted. If youre exhausted, youre doing too much weight.
You can call your local gym in order to have a personal trainer show you what exercises to do, but there are a lot of experts online who have strength training programs with pictures and tutorials.
Bodybuilding.com dont be scared off by the name has a huge amount of pre-planning workout regimens. You can sort them by level beginner, intermediate, and advanced as well as length, 4, 6, 8, 12 weeks, etc.
You can browse those workout plans here: https://www.bodybuilding.com/workout-plans.
Dieting after 60 is confusing even if carb-heavy meals and delicious desserts have never been an issue for you, you might start to notice your body changing. That daily dessert might cause you gain weight, even if youve stayed the same weight for years.
But the bigger problem is that older adults over age 60 tend to have higher blood sugar due to insulin resistance.
Denny Hemingson, a 61-year-old Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner explains, Insulin signals the liver, muscle, and fat cells to take up glucose out of the blood stream. When those cells become resistant to insulin, glucose doesn't get used and ends up staying in the blood creating high blood sugar. Eventually, this leads to pre-diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and type II diabetes. In this state, it's much harder for the body to release extra pounds.
The solution? Reducing carbohydrates. Denny goes on to say that focusing on blood sugar retention over 60 is an important reality, and by reducing carbs, youre reducing your blood sugar, which will make it easier to maintain your weight.
Carolyn Dean is an advocate for the Keto diet, which is a high fat, moderate protein, and low carb diet. This allows the body to use up carbohydrate stores of sugar called glycogen, and then turn on fat burning to burn excess fat cells as energy.
The Keto diet is slowly gaining more recognition in the fitness and medical community as a way to burn fat faster than ever before, but its still recommended that you talk with your doctor before trying it.
Carolyn says that with the Keto diet, your goal is restrict carbs to 20-50 grams per day.
Drinking water doesnt in itself help you lose weight, but the reality is that many people think theyre hungry when theyre really just thirsty.
The cure? Drink a ton of water.
Carolyn and Denny both advise that you drink half your body weight (in lbs) in ounces of water. Carolyn explains, Often, people think they are hungry but they are really thirsty.
So, for example, if you weigh 200 pounds, you should drink 100 ounces of water. Thats about 5-6 bottles of water per day.
Something you may have never thought of is adding magnesium to your diet.
Magnesium is an energy mineral and weight loss/metabolism-boosting mineral that helps synthesize proteins, carbs, and fats.
Carolyn explains that of the 700-800 magnesium-dependent enzymes, the most important enzyme reaction that magnesium contributes to involves the creation of energy. Magnesium activates adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the fundamental energy storage molecule of the body.
Getting magnesium into your diet is as simple as adding to your water. Carolyn says, Add sea salt and an absorbable form of magnesium, such as magnesium citrate powder, to your water. This will definitely make following low-carb diet easier, and it will help you avoid the loss of energy, sluggishness, and headachy feeling associated with electrolyte depletion.
Another thing to note is that sugar stresses the body and depletes magnesium, so staying away from sugar can help neutralize the effects of stress. Who knew?
OK, dont get sunburnt or anything, but make sure to get some Vitamin D!
Without Vitamin D, you might find yourself running to the cupboard for more snacks than you need.
Denny explains, Vitamin D works alongside the hormone leptin to regulate hunger signals. When Vitamin D is deficient, this process malfunctions causing people to overeat.
Get outside, take in some sunshine, and bask in the fact that youre controlling your appetite!
Its no secret that stress can cause us to overeat.
When youre stressed, do you go to the freezer for some chocolate ice cream? Youre not alone.
A great way to manage stress is to relax. And sometimes, you need some prompting.
Denny suggests yoga, which does more than just ease stress. Youll improve your balance, your core strength, and your mindfulness.
Other ways to manage stress are to consider meditation, prayer, and nature walks.
The app called Simple Habit has free, quick meditations that you can try if youre interested in giving meditation a shot.
Popular meditations include "Simple Habit Starter" and "Coffee Meditation," which are both only 5 minutes long.
Sleep has incredible effects on your overall health.
Not only will you have more energy for that strength training workout, but when you sleep, your body actually produces the human growth hormone (HGH).
Denny advises that you get 7-8 hours of quality sleep. The best way to make sure your sleep is of quality is to:
Sleep brings youthfulness, so dont skimp on it!
Meal prepping can force you to eat healthier foods throughout the week, even when you dont have time to cook. (Or you just dont feel like it.)
Jill advises, Stop eating manufactured food. Yes, this is challenging if you live alone. Look into meal prep for the week that way, you cook larger portions and break them down to smaller meals during the week.
If youve never tried meal prepping before, Thirty Handmade Days has an excellent blog post called Meal Prep Ideas Why, What, and How.
There, youll learn how to do it, and there are even recipes to get you inspired.
Finally, dont be so hard on yourself!
If you go an entire week without losing an ounce, dont worry! That can be extremely normal.
All of our experts advise that you dont cut your calorie intake by too much. Jill explains, Adequate calories are important don't cut calories too drastically! Fast weight loss leads to muscle loss, and that changes body composition (and can slow the metabolism.
In other words, all your strength training progress can be lost if you arent eating enough.
Finally, dont push yourself too hard in the gym, either. Jill explains her own pet peeve: One of my biggest pet peeves is when an inexperienced personal trainer tries to make a Baby Boomer complete a workout that is so challenging that they are so sore the next day that they can barely brush their teeth or get up off the toilet. That is NOT necessary!
If you need a break, take one! If you feel the weight is too heavy, lighten up! The goal is to keep yourself healthy not to make yourself miserable.
Go here to see the original:
Losing Weight After 60 Is Hard Here Are 9 Ways to Drop ...
- 7-day diet plan for weight loss: Here is what to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner to lose fat - Times Now - January 15th, 2021
- Tips for that post-holiday diet and how to lose weight after the holidays - ABC 4 - January 15th, 2021
- Five ways you lose all that holiday weight - Yahoo Canada Shine On - January 15th, 2021
- Sherri Shepherd and HealthyWage Partner to Pay $10,000 to Dieters Achieving Weight Loss Goal - Black Enterprise - January 15th, 2021
- This Tea May Help You Lose Weight While Sleeping - Researchers Reveal - NDTV Food - January 15th, 2021
- Local dieticians give advice on how to lose weight and keep it off - 69News WFMZ-TV - January 15th, 2021
- Americans blame mindless eating and weight gain on doom-scrolling and boredom - Yahoo Entertainment - January 15th, 2021
- If Youre Planning On Losing Weight In 2021, Think Before You Tell Me About It - Refinery29 - January 15th, 2021
- Weight loss transformation of Bollywood celebrities that left us stunned - Yahoo Finance UK - January 15th, 2021
- 21 Ways to Get a Flat Belly After 40, According to Experts | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - January 15th, 2021
- If You Want To Keep Your New Years Resolution, Stop Doing These 3 Things - CBS Denver - January 15th, 2021
- Genes and diet can play a role in developing Type 2 diabetes - Norton Healthcare - January 15th, 2021
- Is jogging good for weight loss? Here are 5 cardio exercises that will keep your weight in check - Times Now - January 15th, 2021
- Add more of this vitamin in your diet to lose weight in winter - Times of India - January 3rd, 2021
- Green tea may help you lose weight by boosting your metabolism, powering your workout, and more - Insider - INSIDER - January 3rd, 2021
- Weight loss: How to lose weight fast - top fat burning snacks - Express - January 3rd, 2021
- 'I Counted Calories And Did Resistance Training To Lose 60 PoundsAnd I've Kept It Off For 3 Years' - Women's Health - January 3rd, 2021
- Lose weight and enjoy food in 2021 with exclusive recipes from cookery sensations Pinch of Nom - The Sun - January 3rd, 2021
- 'I had a son I needed to be around for': Edmonton father develops own weight loss app - Edmonton Journal - January 3rd, 2021
- 'Why I will never resolve to lose weight again' - 9Honey - January 3rd, 2021
- Weight loss: "I replaced refined oils with cold-pressed oils" - Times of India - January 3rd, 2021
- Jerry Brewer: Tallying up a year of loss - A lot of pounds, too many loved ones, countless connections - The Spokesman-Review - January 3rd, 2021
- 6 foods that boost your metabolism and may help you lose weight - Yahoo News - January 3rd, 2021
- 'At 180kgs, I decided to quit dieting. Quit trying to lose weight. Hopefully forever.' - Mamamia - January 3rd, 2021
- Eastern Panhandle health officials offer new years resolution advice - Martinsburg Journal - January 3rd, 2021
- 10 New Year's resolutions that are better than "losing quarantine weight" - The Know - January 3rd, 2021
- Soft Belly Fat vs Hard Belly Fat: Which is more difficult to lose and why? - TheHealthSite - January 3rd, 2021
- If you added some pandemic pounds in 2020, try setting goals and changing habits in 2021 - Anchorage Daily News - January 3rd, 2021
- Six reasons why you are not losing weight - The Standard - December 17th, 2020
- 7 ways to stay motivated on your weight loss journey, according to a dietitian - Insider - INSIDER - December 17th, 2020
- Want to lose weight fast? Add these Ayurvedic herbs to your diet - TheHealthSite - December 17th, 2020
- Weight loss: I followed 16 hours of daily fasting and walked every day - Times of India - December 17th, 2020
- 7 reasons to stop complimenting others on weight loss - KSL.com - December 17th, 2020
- New Survey Finds 71 Million Americans Have Gained Weight Throughout the Pandemic - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Weight loss: Biggest celebrity weight loss stories of 2020 - Times of India - December 17th, 2020
- New survey finds 71 million Americans have gained weight during the COVID-19 pandemic - Boston Herald - December 17th, 2020
- Still carrying extra lockdown weight? Here's five great offers to help... - Cambridge Independent - December 17th, 2020
- 71 Million Americans Have Gained Weight Throughout the Pandemic - Essence - December 17th, 2020
- In 2021, say goodbye to restrictive diets and hello to Noom - CNN - December 17th, 2020
- Marvel Star Chris Pratt Admitted He Had Body Image Issues Before Losing Weight for 'Guardians of the Galaxy' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 17th, 2020
- Fennel Seeds for Gas and Bloating: We Take a Long, Hard Sniff - Greatist - December 17th, 2020
- Walking vs. running: Weight loss, heart health, and more - Medical News Today - December 10th, 2020
- Lose The Weight With Sonya Jones - thejournal-news.net - December 10th, 2020
- 'Pressured to lose weight', Sport News & Top Stories - The Straits Times - December 10th, 2020
- Eat well to stay well is the favourite recipe to your weight loss success - Belfast Telegraph - December 10th, 2020
- Ghislaine Maxwell Losing Weight and Hair in Prison on Jeffrey Epstein Charges: Lawyer - Newsweek - December 10th, 2020
- Lorry driver so overweight he had to be carried by forklift loses half his body weight - Wales Online - December 10th, 2020
- Why 'Little House on the Prairie' Star Melissa Sue Anderson Was Told to Lose Weight When She Was Cast as Mary Ingalls - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 10th, 2020
- How to Safely Exercise in the Dark - msnNOW - December 10th, 2020
- Ability to lose weight is not affected by age - Medical News Today - December 9th, 2020
- Lose Weight and Stay Sane This Season! The Energy Balance Equation - The Great Courses Daily News - December 9th, 2020
- 4 Simple Lifestyle Changes You Can Make To Lose Weight By The Holidays - SheFinds - December 9th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting: The Beginners Guide to Time-Restricted Eating, 5:2 Diets, and Other Forms of Intermittent Fasting - GQ - December 9th, 2020
- What are probiotic foods and how they help lose weight and belly fat - Times of India - December 9th, 2020
- Weight loss: Reset these hormones to lose stubborn belly fat - TheHealthSite - December 9th, 2020
- Weight Loss: All The Reasons Why You Should Be Eating Eggs In Winter - NDTV - December 9th, 2020
- Losing weight and raising pounds for the East Cheshire Hospice - In Your Area - December 9th, 2020
- How To Lose Weight In Unprecedented Times With Nico Dandini, Fitness Professional And Coach At Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning - Yahoo Finance - December 9th, 2020
- It's never too late to ramp up your retirement savingshere's how to get started later in life - MarketWatch - December 9th, 2020
- Did Aamir Khan drop Vijay Sethupati from Laal Singh Chaddha for not losing weight, here's the truth - IBTimes India - December 9th, 2020
- Peloton star Tunde Oyeneyin shares her tips for self-care and staying disciplined: 'Focus on what you want to gain' - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 9th, 2020
- 7 common reasons why you're not losing weight and tips to help you shed stubborn pounds - Insider - INSIDER - December 8th, 2020
- Here's Everything You Need to Know About Losing Weight by Walking - News18 - December 8th, 2020
- Reverse Dieting: Can it Actually Help You Lose Weight? - News18 - December 8th, 2020
- Try this healthy way to lose weight - Times of India - December 8th, 2020
- Important Things to Consider When Choosing a Weight Loss Plan - ABCmoney.co.uk - December 8th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I started having jeera water, chia seeds water, green tea and black coffee - Times of India - December 8th, 2020
- One item to add to your wellness tool kit this holiday season! - 100 Mile House Free Press - December 8th, 2020
- Gen Z teens dieting and worrying about weight 'more than previous generations' - Wales Online - December 8th, 2020
- Peloton star Tunde Oyeneyin shares her tips for self-care and staying disciplined: 'Focus on what you want to gain' - Yahoo Canada Shine On - December 8th, 2020
- TikTok investigating videos promoting starvation and anorexia - The Guardian - December 8th, 2020
- Gaining weight can be difficult but here are the safest ways to do it - The Conversation UK - November 27th, 2020
- 7 Low-Carb Diet Foods That Can Help You Lose Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 27th, 2020
- Health tips for men: Lifestyle changes that will help you lose weight and improve your overall health - fingerlakes1.com - November 27th, 2020
- Age No Barrier to Weight Loss in Those With Morbid Obesity - Medscape - November 27th, 2020
- Age Doesn't Matter When It Comes to Losing Weight, Study - Science Times - November 27th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I have a hot cup of amla jeera water every morning - Times of India - November 27th, 2020
- Weight loss: "My IT career made me pile on 25 kilos! Here is how I lost it and became a bodybuilder" - Times of India - November 27th, 2020
- 3 inspiring tips that helped this woman lose 95 kilograms - 7NEWS.com.au - November 27th, 2020
- Jeff Dana of Prolean Wellness will show you how to lose weight during the holidays - Yahoo News - November 27th, 2020