A lot of teenagers get jobs while attending high school. Ashton Sylves job just happens to be punching people in the face.
Sylve, 16, made his professional boxing debut last month in Mexico and showed why hes got big names like Floyd Mayweather, Willie McGinest and Snoop Dogg in his corner. The Long Beach Poly student won via fourth-round stoppage against a 22-year-old opponent.
The fight went well, but I think I couldve done more, Sylve said. He was their golden boy, but I had to shut it down.
Sylve outboxed the taller and more experienced Juan Magallanes in Rosarito using his fluid style and killer instinct. Sylve knocked him down three times in the first round before the fourth-round TKO.
I think he had him figured out 45 seconds into the fight, Sylves father and trainer Ivan Sylve said. They called one of them a slip and tried to get their guy to survive. I told Ashton not to worry about it and keep stalking him.
When Im in the ring I watch everything and see every possibility, Sylve said. Im always thinking two steps ahead. In just a second, all of my options go though my mind before I throw a punch.
16yr old California native, signed to Floyd Mayweather, Ashton Sylve wins his pro debut with a TKO victory over Juan Magallanes at Papas & Beer in Rosarito, Baja California Mexico. Sylve is a 10x National amateur champ with over 100 am bouts pic.twitter.com/lyrKDfoLrc
I had a few (game plans) because there wasnt any film on (Magallanes). I knew hes taller, and I was pretty sure hed try to stay on the outside and keep me away from him. My plan was to break him down to the body and slow him down.
Sylve is a 10-time national amateur boxing champion and two-time international champion fighting out of his fathers Jackrabbit Boxing & Fitness. The 126-pound phenom earned the nickname H2O because of his fluid style in the ring.
Ivan Sylve, who played football at Long Beach City College, opened Jackrabbit Gym seven years ago to create a place for Ashton to develop his talents. The boxing facility has also done a lot of good for the community.
I got a former gang member not in the gangs because he boxes, Ivan said. Weve got a lot of talent in the gym now too.
Ivan also created H2O Promotions and got Ashtons uncle Willie McGinest and other celebrities involved to further Ashtons career financially. McGinest, a Long Beach football legend, called Jackrabbit Gym, a pillar of the community.
Ive been supporting him since he was boxing in Pampers, McGinest said of Ashton. He was ready (for his first fight) and he went out and showed it.
McGinest was one of 60-70 Sylve supporters who made the trip to Mexico for his debut on Aug. 29.
Ashton has a killer instinct, McGinest said. Hes so humble and quiet, but once he gets in the ring he flips that switch. I was talking to Mike Tyson the other day about that mentality. When youre in the arena, or in the cage with tigers, you have to become something different in order to survive.
Sylve was born and raised in North Long Beach, where he was bred to be an athlete.
I think its genetics, Sylve said of his natural athletic ability. My dad kind of raised other peoples children and I call them my brothers too.
Ivan routinely organized neighborhood games of basketball, football and even boxing. Sylve said his first love was basketball, but he excelled so much with the gloves on that he couldnt ignore the possibilities of a career.
Instead of going to his local middle school with friends, Sylve went to Stanford Middle School, where he learned to interact with a lot of different people. It was around this time that Ivans training of Ashton got more serious because of his growing skill.
I learned to fight on the streets, Ivan said. Looking back, I guess I had a chip on my shoulder and my dad was in prison boxing always fascinated me. I came into the game real humble and absorbed everything I could.
The advice the Sylves got was bonafide thanks to a YouTube video Ivan made of Ashton training. It got passed around and ended up catching the eyes of Floyd and Roger Mayweather. The Sylves were invited to Mayweathers camp as he prepared for his 2012 bout with Miguel Coto.
They all recognized Ashtons skill right away, Ivan said. He doesnt really have a style and thats good. Hes like water, just always moving and adapting.
Water actually gave Sylve his first great boxing lesson. He was in Las Vegas for his first amateur fight, and his dad told him not to go in the pool.
He said it would drain me but I was 8 and I was disobedient, Sylve said. I didnt win and that little mistake taught me to just listen.
Since then Sylve has had more than 100 amateur fights around the world.
Theres a feeling you get in the ring thats just different, Sylve said. You really feel like you accomplish something. In team sports you can kind of redeem yourself. Losing a fight hits your dignity and pride. Its different than losing a basketball or football game.
Giving up those other sports was hard for Sylve, but it wasnt nearly as difficult as maintaining a disciplined diet.
It really shows in the ring and catches up to you in the long run, Sylve said. Being on a diet and losing weight kills me the most. When Im losing weight Im a sweets guy. I need some type of energy. But when Im down on weight Im more of a backyard BBQ type guy.
Thoughts of future plans and goals keep Sylve motivated during those long, grueling training sessions with his father.
Its a job, but I have goals too, Sylve said. I want to take care of my family.
In January, the Sylves werent sure if Ashton would go pro or try qualifying for the Olympics. However, COVID-19 shutdowns pretty much decided that for them when all the amateur events were cancelled. Ivan said he wanted to find Ashton a formidable opponent in Mexico, where hes allowed to box professionally. Hell have to wait two more years to fight in the United States.
Because of the high profile connections in the family and H2O Promotions, Sylve got the red carpet treatment in Mexico, including a security detail that escorted him everywhere.
They pumped him up and they pumped the fight up in Mexico, Ivan said. Somebody might be overzealous and think they can kidnap (Ashton) and get a million-dollar ransom because of the people around us who have a lot of money.
Sylve said he was unfazed by the pomp and circumstance.
I like having fun, seeing new things and experiencing different stuff, Sylve said. Doing the same stuff every day in training gets to me after awhile. I have to find something new to work on and that motivates me.
Right now, Sylve is working on his power punches before his next bout in Mexico later this month.
I was hoping to knock (Magallanes) out sooner than that, Sylve said. That kind of got to me, I dont know how he kept getting up. I want to put someone down and be done with it.
He grew up in an area that has a lot of distractions, McGinest said of Sylve. The fact that hes been able to stay focused and stay clear of all that is special to me. I tell him, Once you make it you can come back and pull other kids out and tell them about your story and talk to them about the things you did to avoid certain instances. I think thats important when athletes come back to the city and they give back to these kids in the community.
- 5 science-backed benefits of fasting, and how to fast safely and effectively - INSIDER - October 22nd, 2020
- Do you really lose weight by fat-free and sugar-free diets? Know the pros and cons of such eating patterns - Times Now - October 22nd, 2020
- DECODED: Why is it harder for short people to lose weight - Times of India - October 22nd, 2020
- Best weight loss diets: Experts weigh in on Whole30, Paleo, Keto and more - CNET - October 22nd, 2020
- Suniel Shetty reveals his formula of gaining and losing weight - GQ India - October 22nd, 2020
- Study says this is the #1 thing that causes you to gain weight - BGR - October 22nd, 2020
- Lose weight in your sleep with these bedtime drinks - TheHealthSite - October 22nd, 2020
- Woman missing for 2 weeks found safe in Zion National Park - Seymour Tribune - October 22nd, 2020
- Health and Wellness Predictions For 2021: Helen Lee Schifter - Taste Terminal - October 22nd, 2020
- Slimming World consultant inspired to lose weight after feeling like a failure to her class - Lincolnshire Live - October 21st, 2020
- #HealthBytes: Effective tips that can help you lose weight - NewsBytes - October 21st, 2020
- How does Slimming World work and how much is it to join? - The Irish Sun - October 21st, 2020
- 'Its literally the perfect knife': Dan Hong on the three most useful objects in his life - The Guardian - October 21st, 2020
- After losing 140 pounds, Saskatoon woman shocked to learn province won't cover skin-removal surgeries - CTV News Saskatoon - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss Tips: Nutritionist Tells What Actually Works For Losing Weight Effectively - NDTV - October 18th, 2020
- Using the Pandemic as an Opportunity to Lose Weight and Get in Shape - The New York Times - October 18th, 2020
- You Can Still Eat Dessert and Lose Weight Unless You're Making These 3 Mistakes - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 18th, 2020
- 7 tips from Mumbais best fitness trainers and nutritionists on how to lose weight - GQ India - October 18th, 2020
- KETO Diet: Is It Just Hype Or A New Way Of Life? - Greek City Times - October 18th, 2020
- Want to knock off 5kgs in a month? Try this - NewsBytes - October 18th, 2020
- This Guy Lost 270 Pounds and Got Jacked After a Seizure Gave Him a Serious Wake-up Call - menshealth.com - October 18th, 2020
- Is it safe to do intermittent fasting while breastfeeding? - TheHealthSite - October 18th, 2020
- Amy Duggar Claps Back at Troll Who Told Her to Have More Kids, Lose Weight - Us Weekly - October 18th, 2020
- How Often Should You Work Out? For Weight Loss and Muscle Gain - Greatist - October 18th, 2020
- The Arctic is on track to lose more ice this century than at any point since the end of the Ice Age. Photos show the dramatic melting. - Business... - October 18th, 2020
- Phillip Schofield's months of hell and secret torment - losing weight, vomiting and missing work - Mirror Online - October 18th, 2020
- This Clever Technique Will Help You Lose Weight and Stay Fit - Slate - October 13th, 2020
- Is The Keto Diet Good For PCOS? Benefits Of Low-Carb Diet For PCOS - Women's Health - October 13th, 2020
- Is keto a healthy way to lose weight? Everything to know about the divisive low-carb diet - The National - October 13th, 2020
- How to Lose Fat Without Losing Muscle, According to Experts - Greatist - October 13th, 2020
- On a weight loss diet? Here are two quick and healthy breakfast recipes to kickstart your metabolism - Times Now - October 13th, 2020
- 806 Health Tip: Consistency Is Key To Losing Weight - mix941kmxj.com - October 13th, 2020
- Be specific with your intentions - Stabroek News - October 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Signs your workout is actually making you gain more weight - Times of India - October 13th, 2020
- Kelly Osbourne shows off incredible 80-pound weight loss in skintight black jeans and low-cut top before - The Sun - October 13th, 2020
- AJ McLean's Body Transformation since Joining DWTS How Much Weight Has He Lost? - AmoMama - October 13th, 2020
- Scots mum claims she was fat-shamed by NHS weight loss leaflet just seven weeks after giving birth - Daily Record - October 13th, 2020
- Arthritis pain: Why weight loss helps; 3 ways to stay active and manage joint pain at home - Times Now - October 13th, 2020
- How to lose those last few kilos the healthy way - Who - October 13th, 2020
- Active-living passions draw family doctor... - Bothell-Kenmore Reporter - October 13th, 2020
- Burn belly fat and get in shape fast by adding these workouts to your routine - TheHealthSite - October 13th, 2020
- Oregon nose tackle Jordon Scott never wavered from 2020 vision of playing for Ducks - The Register-Guard - October 13th, 2020
- Piers Morgan bashes Meghan Markle over her belief of being the most trolled person - The News International - October 13th, 2020
- Gemma Collins looks slimmer than ever in pyjamas after 3st weight loss in Happy Monday snap - The Irish Sun - October 13th, 2020
- From keto to intermittent diets: All you need to know - The Indian Express - October 9th, 2020
- Weight loss: Could eating more be the key to losing more weight? Here's why - Times of India - October 9th, 2020
- 6 Things you need to do every day to lose the extra kilos - PINKVILLA - October 9th, 2020
- The #1 Best Thing to Drink If You're Trying to Lose Weight - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 9th, 2020
- Most Ridiculous Diets That People Actually Try and the Reality Behind Them - Flux Magazine - October 9th, 2020
- This Berlin-based startup will help you lose weight via healthy intermittent fasting; raises 4.2M - Silicon Canals - October 9th, 2020
- Why you may not be losing weight on the keto diet - Report Door - October 9th, 2020
- Fit and fabulous after 50 | Features | wfmz.com - 69News WFMZ-TV - October 9th, 2020
- Avoiding the temptation of unhealthy food Click Liverpool - Click Liverpool - October 9th, 2020
- How Cycling Helped This Man Recover From Open-Heart Surgery - Bicycling - October 9th, 2020
- What is keto diet, how does it impact your body? Is it risky? - The Indian Express - October 9th, 2020
- American lost 55 kilograms and shared her secret of losing weight - The Times Hub - October 9th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Burn Some Calories With This Advanced Cardio Workout That Can Pump You Up Instantly! - NDTV - October 9th, 2020
- Do chia seeds really help with weight loss? Health benefits, nutrition facts and ways to include them in diet - Times Now - October 9th, 2020
- Dietitian, breast cancer survivor focuses on ways to avoid recurrence - Huntington Herald Dispatch - October 9th, 2020
- Why you may not be losing weight on the keto diet - Business Insider India - October 4th, 2020
- Losing weight through dieting, exercising or combination methods - San Marcos Daily Record - October 4th, 2020
- College 101: 5 Health Reasons to Lose Weight - Daily Cardinal - October 4th, 2020
- Weight-loss tips from a woman who lost 122 pounds in her 40s - TODAY - October 4th, 2020
- HARRIET COLE: It's never too late to start losing weight - Goshen News - October 4th, 2020
- This Is The Worst Diet for Weight Loss, According to a Dietitian - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 4th, 2020
- A Nutrition Expert Just Said This Is More Important Than Losing Weight - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 4th, 2020
- Does Intuitive Eating Work? What Happened When I Tried Intuitive Eating - GoodHousekeeping.com - October 4th, 2020
- Weight Training Helped This Guy Lose 230 Pounds and Get Ripped in the Process - menshealth.com - October 4th, 2020
- What You Should Know About How PCOS and Weight Are Connected - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 4th, 2020
- All For Nothing? Top 4 Reasons Why You're Not Losing Any Weight - Be Global Fashion Network - October 4th, 2020
- The herbal supplement shown to boost sexual performance and encourage weight loss - Express - October 4th, 2020
- Foods that will help control appetite and reduce belly fat - The Indian Express - October 4th, 2020
- Where You Carry Body Fat May Affect How Long You Live - The New York Times - October 4th, 2020
- Study reveals enhancing blood sugar control boosts brain health for people with type 2 diabetes - Devdiscourse - October 4th, 2020
- This 80-Somethings Couple Share Their Secrets to Longevity - The Beet - October 4th, 2020
- Qualifier Trevisan's career takes off with stunning win - Yahoo Sports - October 4th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting doesn't help you lose weight, UCSF study suggests - CNBC - September 30th, 2020
- UK's Johnson says he is fit as a butcher's dog after losing weight - The Union Leader - September 30th, 2020
- Boris Johnson is 'fit as a butcher's dog' in need of walkies but heading in right direction - iNews - September 30th, 2020
- UK's Johnson says he is fit as a butcher's dog after losing weight - Reuters - September 29th, 2020