Irritable bowel syndrome looks different for everyone, but there are science-backed remedies that can ease symptoms.
Image Credit: LIVESTRONG.com Creative
There's a chronic, mysterious condition that affects up to 45 million people in the U.S., but no one knows what causes it. What's more, the disorder looks a bit different in each person, which makes it tricky to diagnose and treat.
Kind of sounds like something out of a science fiction novel, doesn't it?
But the condition is the very real irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), a somewhat baffling disorder marked by a host of uncomfortable GI symptoms.
Here, we'll break down what we know about IBS, from how it's connected to anxiety and weight to research-backed remedies that can help relieve symptoms.
Irritable bowel syndrome symptoms can range from annoying to downright debilitating.
Image Credit: Charday Penn/iStock/GettyImages
IBS is a chronic gastrointestinal disorder that affects the intestines. The most common symptoms include bloating, cramping, abdominal pain and a change in bowel habits (read: diarrhea and/or constipation), although each person experiences IBS differently and symptoms tend to come and go.
The cause of IBS isn't well understood, although there are many theories. Unlike other GI disorders like Crohn's or celiac disease, it doesn't result from any damage or disease in the digestive tract, so it's often referred to as a "brain-gut disorder."
Choosing the right foods can make all the difference for IBS sufferers.
Image Credit: ALLEKO/iStock/GettyImages
One proven way to reduce the frustrating symptoms of IBS is tweaking your diet to remove or limit common trigger foods. While these may be different for each person, research has shown that avoiding foods high in FODMAPs is a great place to start.
FODMAPs or fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides and polyols, and yes, that's a mouthful are a specific type of sugar found in some foods, such as apples, beans and yogurt. While they're not unhealthy, they can often make life less than pleasant for those with irritable bowel syndrome. Adopting a low-FODMAP diet might tame some IBS symptoms.
Read more about how the low-FODMAP diet was created, how it works and how to get started.
Research has shown that yoga can reduce anxiety, and it may also help with IBS symptoms.
Image Credit: Stgur Mr Karlsson /Heimsmyndir/E+/GettyImages
Because of the brain-gut connection in IBS, those with the condition often notice a link between their symptoms and their emotions. Anxiety and stress, in particular, can play a major role in IBS. Symptoms can trigger these feelings, and they in turn can make symptoms worse (talk about a vicious cycle!).
Fortunately, there are a range of stress-management therapies including yoga and gut-directed hypnosis that can aid in relieving the discomfort.
Check out six treatments that have been proven to help alleviate anxiety and IBS symptoms.
Managing your emotions, along with making exercise and diet tweaks, can move you toward a healthy weight.
Image Credit: Rostislav_Sedlacek/iStock/GettyImages
Stress is also involved when it comes to the connection between IBS and weight. While some people with the condition struggle to keep weight on, others find it challenging to shed pounds but IBS itself isn't to blame.
Instead, weight loss might occur for some because they fear certain foods will trigger their symptoms, so they end up eating fewer calories and nutrients than they should. For others, losing weight is a challenge because they tend to stick with "safe" foods that aren't all that healthy.
Walking can ease digestive issues and reduce stress, making it a double-win for IBS symptoms.
Image Credit: gpointstudio/iStock/GettyImages
Exercise is an important part of any healthy lifestyle, but it can really benefit people with IBS as long as it's the right kind (i.e. it isn't so intense that it ends up making the condition worse).
Research has shown that working out regularly can reduce anxiety, relieve constipation and support digestive health, which all adds up to less severe symptoms and an improved sense of wellbeing.
It's possible to manage your symptoms and live well with IBS.
Image Credit: Westend61/Westend61/GettyImages
Although diet changes help a lot of people with IBS, there's still no cure for the condition and no "best" treatment for everyone.
You can and should discuss your options with your doctor or health care team, but living with the condition usually means doing some trial-and-error testing to find the best strategies to manage your personal symptoms.
Keeping a food diary, drinking more water and cutting out processed foods can all make a difference, as can finding healthy ways to reduce your stress levels. But there are a few other methods that might be effective, too.
Read the original post:
Living With IBS: Diet, Exercise and Symptom Management Tips - LIVESTRONG.COM
- Trimming the Fat: Weight Loss Strategies for the Overweight Horse - United States Eventing Association - June 20th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss Supplements Market Size, Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast To 2026 - Medic Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Novo Nordisk successfully completes AM833 phase 2 trial and phase 1 combination trial with AM833 and semaglutide in obesity - GlobeNewswire - June 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Supplements Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2025 - Galus Australis - June 20th, 2020
- Herd health can be improved Wyoming Livestock Roundup - Wyoming Livestock Roundup - June 20th, 2020
- The Alkaline Diet: Is There Evidence That It Benefits Our Health? - Discover Magazine - June 20th, 2020
- Obalon Announces First Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Business Update - GlobeNewswire - June 20th, 2020
- If You've Got $5,000 to Invest, These 5 Top Stocks Are the Real Deal - Motley Fool - June 20th, 2020
- 10 Pieces of Kit That Will Help You Drop Weight and Gain Muscle at Home - Men's health UK - June 20th, 2020
- Trending News: Weight Control Market Overview and Competitive Landscape 2020 to 2025: Abbott Nutrition, Bio-Synergy, Ajinomoto - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- Functional Carbohydrates Market to Exhibit Rapid Surge in Consumption in the COVID-19 Crisis - 3rd Watch News - June 20th, 2020
- Whale-watching boat noise found to disrupt mother and calf resting times - The Guardian - June 20th, 2020
- Future of Weight Management Reviewed in a New Study Medic Report - Medic Insider - June 19th, 2020
- Sales of Weight Loss Services to Accelerate from Key End use Industries Buoyed By High Demand During COVID 19 Pandemic - Cole of Duty - June 19th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 19th, 2020
- If you think you can eat salads to lose weight, read this! - Times of India - June 19th, 2020
- 'Why I Opened The First LGBTQ Gym In The Nation' - Women's Health - June 19th, 2020
- Xeris Pharmaceuticals Announces Positive Topline Results from the Phase 2 Comparative Study of a Novel Pramlintide-insulin Co-formulation (XP-3924) in... - June 19th, 2020
- International Yoga Day 2020: Yoga asanas PM Modi swears by and how you can do them - TheHealthSite - June 19th, 2020
- Functional Food Ingredients Market Analysis, Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast up to 2027 - 3rd Watch News - June 19th, 2020
- The GOLO Diet: What it is and can it help with weight loss? - TODAY - June 18th, 2020
- Global Weight Management Beverages Market 2020 with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2026 - Flagler Times - June 18th, 2020
- NeonMind Files Patent Application for Therapeutic Use of DMT - Yahoo Finance - June 18th, 2020
- Drink This Kadi Patta (Curry Leaf) Juice Every Morning To Promote Weight Loss And Detox - NDTV Food - June 18th, 2020
- Why WW International Stock Jumped Today - The Motley Fool - June 18th, 2020
- Health Experts Explain the Link Between Chronic Illness and Healthy Eating - Prevention.com - June 18th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Diet Management Market 2020-2025: by Key Manufacturers with Countries, Type, Application and Forecast Till 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 18th, 2020
- Theres A New Fermented, Zero Calories Sugar On The Market (and It Actually Tastes Like Real Sugar) - Forbes - June 18th, 2020
- Global Minimally Invasive Weight Loss (Bariatric) Devices 2020 Industry Analysis, Segments, Value Chain and Key Trends 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 18th, 2020
- Body Fat Measurement Market to witness major growth in coming years - Cole of Duty - June 18th, 2020
- Global Weight Control Supplements Market 2020 Business Outlook with COVID-19 Scenario Analysis and Forecast 2026 - Weekly Wall - June 18th, 2020
- Trending 2020 Report on Corporate Wellness Management Market Share, Growth, Demand, Trends, Region Wise Analysis of Top Players and Forecasts - Cole... - June 18th, 2020
- Family News & Events - The Irish Catholic - June 18th, 2020
- Benefits of Vakrasana: Do this yoga asana to lower blood sugar levels, tone your tummy and thighs - Times Now - June 18th, 2020
- How To Eat Mangoes For Breakfast: Recipes, Tips And Tricks - NDTV Food - June 18th, 2020
- Nine ways these playoffs could wildly reshape the NBA - ESPN - June 18th, 2020
- How to live longer: A drink to reduce the risk of cancer and boost life expectancy - Express - June 18th, 2020
- Eating as a family helps maintain healthy weight - The Star Online - June 18th, 2020
- COVID-19 can lead to obesity in kids: Here are some effective weight loss yoga asanas for children - TheHealthSite - June 9th, 2020
- Why it's so difficult to lose weight: The hard truths - CNET - June 9th, 2020
- Eating Disorders During COVID-19: Helping Patients Navigate the Crisis - Psychiatry Advisor - June 9th, 2020
- What products were among those marketed with the most outrageous claims of all time? - USA TODAY - June 9th, 2020
- Keeping an open nose in the hatchery - The Poultry Site - June 9th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole of... - June 9th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 -... - June 9th, 2020
- Engaging in family meals helps to improve eating habits - Yahoo News - June 9th, 2020
- Karyopharm Announces Dosing of First Patient in a Phase 1/2 Study of Selinexor in Combination with Standard of Care Therapy for Patients with Newly... - June 9th, 2020
- Rapid Nutrition Awarded Innovation Connections Grant from Australian Government to Support Development of New Cold and Flu Therapy - GlobeNewswire - June 9th, 2020
- Healthy family meals start with healthy communication, study suggests - The Indian Express - June 9th, 2020
- Association between obesity and abnormal Papanicolau(Pap) smear cytology results in a resource-poor Nigerian setting - BMC Blogs Network - June 9th, 2020
- Demand for Weight Loss Services Market to Soar in the Coming Years in Top Regional Markets Medic Report - Medic Insider - June 9th, 2020
- Here's the official list of businesses reopening during Stage 2 in Ontario - blogTO - June 9th, 2020
- Peanuts for Weight Loss: Are They Beneficial? - Healthline - June 8th, 2020
- Examining The Effects Of The Mediterranean Diet On Weight Management - Longevity LIVE - June 8th, 2020
- Weight Management Appears To Improve In Time by 2026 - Surfacing Magazine - June 8th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Product Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast... - June 8th, 2020
- Weight Management Market Size 2020 Application, Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Worldwide Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 8th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Product Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product Types, And Applications Forecast To 2026 - 3rd... - June 8th, 2020
- Weight Loss Market to 2025: Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications - Jewish Life News - June 8th, 2020
- Everything to know about the NBA's 22-team restart at Walt Disney World - ESPN - June 8th, 2020
- COVID-19: Responding to the business impacts of Weight Management Beverages Market Value Share, Supply Demand, Share and Value Chain - Personal Injury... - June 8th, 2020
- Ask the doctor: What is the link between milk and cancer? - The Standard - June 8th, 2020
- Why we've gained weight during lockdown and what to do about it - Press and Journal - June 8th, 2020
- Vervain (Verbena): Benefits, Uses, and Side Effects - Healthline - June 8th, 2020
- United States Weight Loss Market in 2020: Effects of the COVID-19 Pandemic - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - June 4th, 2020
- Cranberries may enhance metabolic and liver benefits of weight loss diet: RCT - NutraIngredients-usa.com - June 4th, 2020
- The Ultimate Guide to CBD And Seniors for Weight Loss - Riverfront Times - June 4th, 2020
- Woman drops 112 pounds so her husband can carry her 18 years after the wedding - Home - WSFX - June 4th, 2020
- Weight loss: Burn belly fat and hundreds of calories by drinking green tea daily - Express - June 4th, 2020
- Weight loss: Five breakfast ideas to help you burn belly fat - what are they? - Express - June 4th, 2020
- US Plant-Based Meat Market to hit $4.15 billion by 2026, Says Global Market Insights, Inc. - GlobeNewswire - June 4th, 2020
- Which is healthier, butter or peanut butter? - Times of India - June 4th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market with Report In Depth Industry Analysis on Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast - WaterCloud News - June 4th, 2020
- 'I found out my husband was married to three other wives - so got my revenge body' - Mirror Online - June 4th, 2020
- Ever made a dish with cactus? Try this simple, healthy sabzi recipe - The Indian Express - June 4th, 2020
- Did you know mango leaves have more nutrients than mangoes? - Times of India - June 4th, 2020
- Obesity prevention must begin at home - The Star Online - June 4th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market Global Industry Analysis by Size Share Growth Trends and Forecast 2020 2025 - 3rd Watch... - June 4th, 2020
- Live Performance Australia's $345 million plan to restart and rebuild the entertainment industry - Australasian Leisure Management - June 4th, 2020
- What to eat to avoid painful gallstones - The Durango Herald - June 3rd, 2020