The spring's coronavirus stay-at-home orders and the cancellation of many summer activities, may aggravate what's already a difficult season for children when it comes to gaining weight, experts fear.
Studies over the last decade have shown that kids often tend to have stable weight during the school year, but gain weight during summer months. This weight gain is maintained during the school year until another summer and more pounds come along.
"As it turns out, with the pandemic, children being at home mimics summer vacations," said Steven Heymsfield, a professor at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center at Louisiana State University. "They lose the structure of school. Their activities are more limited, they have more screen time, they exercise less, and eat the foods we tell them not to eat."
The U.S. Census Bureau estimates that 41.9 million youth are ages 10 to 19, and 17% are obese. That's roughly seven million adolescents, and this number could go up because of the pandemic. What's more, obesity disproportionately affects African American and Hispanic youths, adding to the many health disparities that the pandemic has highlighted.
When comparing what's happening during the pandemic to usual school year and summer weight trends, "the prediction is some children will have an increase in their weight and it won't go back down," Heymsfield said.
Having all-day access to food is one problem, and even exercise can't always overcome a bad diet. The other is how the pandemic is shutting down the usual sports and activities that keep many kids active in the summer.
"In a pandemic, we don't want kids to stop being physically active," said Matthew Grady, a sports medicine pediatrician at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. "Getting kids active is in their long-term health interests."
Experts recommend that school-aged children and adolescents get at least 60 minutes of physical activity each day, but during the pandemic, this has been challenging. According to data released by the fitness tracker Fitbit, younger people are taking fewer steps compared with this time last year, while older people are closer to previous years.
"With organized sports not in full swing, we need to find ways for them to do this so that it's fun and engaging," said Naomi Brown, a sports medicine pediatrician at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
Fun, engaging and safe.
"As we return to sports, we want to set up a daily monitoring system _ lists of people who had contact with each other that prevents infections from being spread across teams," Grady said. "And then we can start with the introduction of sports-like activities at the individual level."
Experts stress that community infection rates of the coronavirus or the viral burden in the community will guide how youth sports can resume.
"As we see the community infection rates go down, we can allow the athletes to get closer. Offense teams can practice together. Defense can practice together. Then this can progress to intrasquad scrimmages," Grady said. "The tricky part about this is if we have a spike in infection, we may have to transition backward. There is a little fluidness, but the goal is to make kids as active as possible without taking risks to get sick."
"If you live in an area where social distancing is easy, being active is easier," Grady said. "If you live in a city with smaller space options, we need policies and procedures that find ways to mitigate potential risks and still keep kids active."
See the original post here:
Kids' fitness routines have changed, leaving them vulnerable to weight gain, obesity - yoursun.com
- Food insecurity in the US increasingly linked to obesity - Medical News Today - September 28th, 2020
- U.S. Adult Obesity Rate Hits Highest Rate Ever Recorded - Club Industry - September 28th, 2020
- Mission: Readiness ties obesity to national security - News - Times Record - September 28th, 2020
- The Intersection Of Obesity, COVID-19, Social Justice And Mental Health - Club Industry - September 28th, 2020
- Experience of Polish Patients with Obesity in Contacts with Medical Pr | PPA - Dove Medical Press - September 28th, 2020
- Cleveland Clinic Study Identifies Weight-Loss Threshold for Cardiovascular and Survival Benefits in Patients with Obesity and Diabetes - Health... - September 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus pandemic could impact cancer rates and care in the future - WKTV - September 28th, 2020
- An obese heart is a silent risk - The Hippocratic Post - September 28th, 2020
- Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Heart Failure: Is There a Connection? - Michigan Medicine - September 28th, 2020
- Should India adopt NOVA classification of food? - The Sunday Guardian - September 28th, 2020
- Obesity and the Bitter Pill of Truth - Medscape - September 23rd, 2020
- Obesity and COVID-19: A renewed call to address a growing crisis - World Bank Group - September 23rd, 2020
- Negative pressure wound therapy does not cut infection risk in obese women after cesarean delivery - National Institutes of Health - September 23rd, 2020
- Obesity linked to hospitalisation and ICUs for Covid-19 patients - The Irish Times - September 23rd, 2020
- New Research Shows Potential Utility of Growth Standards to Monitor Healthy Weight in Puppies and May Help Identify Puppies at Risk for Obesity -... - September 23rd, 2020
- SCOTUS, Sallys economic effects and obesity - AL.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Obesity can cause and be consequence of poor sleep - Westside Eagle Observer - September 23rd, 2020
- Health Education Week 2020: Opportunities and Advancements in Obesity Medicine - Medical Economics - September 23rd, 2020
- COVID-19 Recovery Analysis: Assisted Reproductive Technology Market | Increase in Rate of Infertility and Obesity-Related Cases to Boost the Market... - September 23rd, 2020
- Stephanie Yeboah: 'Obesity is a disgusting word... it's just used to scare people' - Telegraph.co.uk - September 23rd, 2020
- Diabetes, Obesity and other five risk factors that can lead to heart failure - India TV News - September 23rd, 2020
- Research finds out a new phenomenon of obesity with the multiple burden of malnutrition in India - Eastern Eye - September 23rd, 2020
- WHO launches guide to boost children's health and well-being in Russian-speaking countries - Russian Federation - ReliefWeb - September 23rd, 2020
- For teens with severe obesity, bariatric surgery works, but is rarely used. Experts say that needs to change - The Detroit News - September 20th, 2020
- Obesity associated with a higher risk for dementia, new study finds - National Institute on Aging - September 20th, 2020
- Your Health First: Top underlying health conditions in North Dakota? Obesity and Type 2 diabetes - KX NEWS - September 20th, 2020
- US adult obesity at highest level ever recorded; Arkansas and Oklahoma rank in top five - 5newsonline.com - September 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus science | Week in review: 'Long Covid', obesity, and will the virus become seasonal? - Health24 - September 20th, 2020
- Mediterranean diet helps offset the health impacts of obesity - Earth.com - September 20th, 2020
- Obese people 70% more at risk of severe COVID-19: Assocham - The Indian Express - September 20th, 2020
- Could interaction between Covid-19 and pre-existing bacteria explain severity in the obese? - Health24 - September 20th, 2020
- Despicable to blame Government for Covid-19 death rate given obesity, says Tory peer - Evening Standard - September 20th, 2020
- If a heavyweight is morbidly obese why is he also fit to box? - Boxing News Online - September 20th, 2020
- Cancer Is on the Rise Among Young People - Discover Magazine - September 20th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Sept. 20 - Canon City Daily Record - September 20th, 2020
- Good nutrition can contribute to keeping COVID-19 and other diseases away - Kiowa County Press - September 20th, 2020
- Why COVID-19 is more deadly in people with obesityeven if they're young - Science Magazine - September 8th, 2020
- Higher obesity rates appear to contribute to higher bankruptcy rates in the United States - PsyPost - September 8th, 2020
- Worldwide Non-Invasive Fat Reduction Industry to 2025 - Increasing Prevalence of Obesity Presents Opportunities - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - September 8th, 2020
- New evidence testosterone therapy is effective obesity treatment in men - New Atlas - September 8th, 2020
- Obesity is tied to greater risk of complications from COVID-19 - WWLTV.com - September 8th, 2020
- Pregnancy, Obesity and Nutrition Initiative (PONI): FIGO releases new Supplement - International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics - September 7th, 2020
- High Pleural Pressure Prevents Alveolar Overdistension and Hemodynamic Collapse in ARDS with Class III Obesity. - Physician's Weekly - September 7th, 2020
- Global Intragastric Balloon Market (2019 to 2028) - Rise in Government Initiatives Regarding Obesity Presents Opportunities - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - September 7th, 2020
- Drugs That Fight Diabetes and Obesity May Treat Covid-19 - Bloomberg - September 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Patients With Obesity Have Higher Viral Load, for Longer - Medscape - September 6th, 2020
- Even half a glass of alcohol increases risk of obesity, study shows - Study Finds - September 6th, 2020
- America's Obesity Epidemic Threatens Effectiveness of Any COVID Vaccine - POZ - September 6th, 2020
- 'Fat-Shaming' Drops in US but UK Public Still Apportion Blame - Medscape - September 6th, 2020
- Calls for tougher regulation to fight obesity - Newsroom - September 6th, 2020
- Consumption of alcohol even in small amounts can result in obesity and metabolic syndrome, suggests study - Firstpost - September 6th, 2020
- World's richest countries grappling with children's reading and math skills, mental well-being and obesity - UNICEF - September 6th, 2020
- Definition of Chronic disease - MedicineNet - August 31st, 2020
- America's Move to Raise A Healthier Generation of Kids ... - August 31st, 2020
- Controlled obesity status: a rarely used concept, but with particular importance in the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond - DocWire News - August 31st, 2020
- Groningen University Hospital to investigate role of obesity in patients with COVID-19 - Innovation Origins - August 31st, 2020
- Obesity and COVID-19: How weight tips the scales to severe COVID-19 illness - The Stanford Daily - August 31st, 2020
- Study finds obese people at higher risk of COVID-19 complications - Times of India - August 31st, 2020
- Childhood obesity could increase the risk of multiple sclerosis in later life - The Conversation UK - August 31st, 2020
- Peter Rhodes on an Indian romance, the risks of obesity and standing up for nice things - expressandstar.com - August 31st, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market: Investments by key players is driving the global market - BioSpace - August 31st, 2020
- Why your doctor will not talk to you about obesity - The Standard - August 31st, 2020
- EDITORIAL: We haven't tackled obesity - and now it's proving our downfall - Bahamas Tribune - August 31st, 2020
- Taxes on non-essential foods wont prevent obesity but they will hurt poorer people - RT - August 31st, 2020
- Losing Weight Can Help You Avoid This Type of Cancer, Study Finds - MSN Money - August 31st, 2020
- Kids in these Gloucester areas are among the most likely in the UK to be obese - Gloucestershire Live - August 31st, 2020
- MIT Develops Synthetic Coating for the Gut That Could Block Glucose Absorption to Treat Diabetes & Obesity - SciTechDaily - August 31st, 2020
- How does the immune response affect inflammation in COVID-19 patients? - World Economic Forum - August 31st, 2020
- Individuals with obesity and COVID19: A global perspective on the epidemiology and biological relationships - Wiley - August 28th, 2020
- COVID-19: Science stories of the week, from reinfection to obesity - World Economic Forum - August 28th, 2020
- Weight loss in young adults with obesity may halve mortality risk - Medical News Today - August 28th, 2020
- Professor/Associate Professor in Medicine Obesity and Metabolism job with NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU | 223116 - Times... - August 28th, 2020
- Bariatric Surgery Reduces or Eliminates Need for Blood Pressure Medication in Patients With Obesity in New 3-Year Randomized Clinical Trial -... - August 28th, 2020
- Not All Vegetarian Diets Are Healthy for Those With Obesity - Science Times - August 28th, 2020
- Covid-19 impact on Weight Loss and Obesity Market New Trends, Growth, Outlook, Overview, Application and Forecast 2020 to 2025: Ajinomoto Co. Inc.,... - August 28th, 2020
- Global Market Study on Ineffective Esophageal Motility Treatment: Increasing Prevalence of GERD and Obesity to Propel Market Growth - GlobeNewswire - August 28th, 2020
- Ireland has ideal combination of leaders to tackle obesity crisis health expert - The Irish Times - August 28th, 2020
- Morbid Obesity Increases Risk of COVID-19 and Future Emerging Infectious Diseases - MedicalResearch.com - August 28th, 2020
- Obesity is the new malnutrition, parents warned ahead of UAE schools' reopening - Gulf News - August 28th, 2020
- Covid-19 impact on those who are obese should encourage better eating expert - The Irish Times - August 28th, 2020