Chances are youve got a friend or family member who swears by KETO, or if you havent, then youve almost certainly heard of the myriad of celebrities who follow the diet religiously.
KETO has become more than a diet nowadays, its a way of life. Many restaurants offer extensive keto options on their menus, withSkinnys Bar and Grillin Bondi being Australias first KETO CAFE! Everything on their menu is low-carb, gluten-free and sugar-free. Sounds good, right?
Well before you hop in your car and make the mad dash to Bondi to grab a carb-free cheeseburger, let us see if the KETO hype stands up to science.
So, what is KETO? KETO stands for ketogenic. A ketogenic diet involves consuming as little carbs as possible, so the body is forced to enter a state of being called ketosis. Essentially, this means that it burns the bodysfat storesrather than thecarbohydratesa human consumes on a daily basis.
DoctorMarcelo Camposfrom Harvard Medical School explains it like this:Most cells prefer to use blood sugar, which comes from carbohydrates,as the bodys main source of energy. In the absence of circulating blood sugar from food, we start breaking down stored fat into molecules called ketone bodies (the process is called ketosis).
Once you reach ketosis, most cells will use ketone bodies to generate energy until we start eating carbohydrates again. The shift, from using circulating glucose to breaking down stored fat as a source of energy, usually happens over two to four days of eating fewer than20 to 50 grams of carbohydrates per day.
Keep in mind that this is a highly individualized process, and some people need a more restricted diet to start producing enough ketones.
Because it lacks carbohydrates, aketogenic dietis rich in proteins and fats. It typically includes plenty of meats, eggs, processed meats, sausages, cheeses, fish, nuts, butter, oils, seeds, and fibrous vegetables.
Because it is so restrictive, it is really hard to follow over the long run. Carbohydrates normally account for at least 50% of the typical American diet.
One of the main criticisms of this diet is that many people tend to eat too much protein and poor-quality fats from processed foods, with very few fruits and vegetables. Patients with kidney disease need to be cautious because this diet could worsen their condition.
Additionally, some patients may feel a little tired in the beginning, while some may have bad breath, nausea, vomiting, constipation, and sleep problems.
Despite the recent hype, the ketogenic diet is not something new. In medicine, it has been used for almost 100 years to treatdrug-resistant epilepsy, especially in children.
In the 1970s, Dr. Atkins popularized his very-low-carbohydrate diet for weight loss that began with averystricttwo-week ketogenic phase. This is where the KETO craze all began, and over the years, other fad diets incorporated a similar approach for weight loss.
Now that we know what the ketogenic diet involves, lets look at how safe it is for humans to follow.
According to Doctor Campos,We have solid evidence showing that a ketogenic diet reduces seizures in children, sometimes as effectively as medication. Because of these neuroprotective effects, questions have been raised about the possible benefits for other brain disorders such asParkinsons,Alzheimers, multiple sclerosis, sleep disorders, autism, and even brain cancer.
However, there are no human studies to support recommending ketosis to treat these conditions.
According to the worlds leading low-carb diet blogger and podcasterJimmy Moore, author ofKeto Clarity, the ketogenic diet seems to be quite beneficial for effectively treating a range of other health conditions, including metabolic syndrome, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), heartburn (GERD) nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), Type 2 diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular disease.
On the subject of Type 2 diabetes, Halle Berry began speaking out in support of the keto diet in 2017. She explained in an appearance onLive With Kelly and Ryanthat shes a good candidate for the diet because shes diabetic.
Halle also spoke toPeopleabout KETO. I eat healthy fats all day long, avocado, oil, coconut oil and I use butter, but dont have any sugar. So when your body gets trained to burn fats, its constantly on fat-burning mode thats the secret,she noted.
A ketogenic diet also has been shown to improve blood sugar control for patients with type 2 diabetes, at least in the short term. However, there is a lot of controversies when doctors have considered the effects of KETO on cholesterol levels.
A few studies show some patients have an increase in cholesterol levels, in the beginning, only to see cholesterol fall afew months later. However, there isno long-term researchanalyzing its effects over time on diabetes and high cholesterol, at least as of now.
Back to Ms. Bond for a minute. Berry is just one of many celebs who swear by theKETO dietto help them combat health conditions naturally, with others who seemingly swear by the diet for staying slim and trim.
It would seem weight loss is the primary reason many people use the ketogenic diet. Previous research shows good evidence offaster weight losswhen patients go on a ketogenic or very low carbohydrate diet compared to participants on a more traditional low-fat diet, or even aMediterranean diet.
However, that difference in weight loss seems to disappear over time, as the KETO way of living is hard to keep up long term. And this is where we hit a crossroads.
If you want to lose weight, the fastest route to drop the kilos is often taken, without much consideration on long term effects or any advice taken from a doctor or dietician on proper eating.
KETO is often promised to get you slim quicker, as low-carb diets are famous for quick fat loss. The person will often lose a considerable amount of weight on KETO, then afterwards, go back to their normal way of eating. The weight slowly comes back and, then we go diet again; usually even more restrictedly than the first time. It is often much harder to lose the second time on a diet, and each time we restrict our bodies heavily, our metabolisms are put under a lot of stress. This process is called yo-yo dieting and can be harmful long term.
Studies have shown that most people who participate in the KETO diet, end up gaining the weight back faster than those who follow other restrictive diets. Why is that? Firstly, metabolic needs are largely based on body composition. Muscle uses more energy than fat, thus higher muscle mass means higher caloric needs.
Leading Dietician and Nutritionist Emily Baum explains KETO yo-yo dieting like this:
Quick weight loss often means losing muscle mass, not just fat loss. Most, if not ALL Fad diets are typically unsustainable so that when the diet is over, your body composition is now completely different to before. You now have less muscle, which means you now have to consume fewer calories than before the diet to maintain your new weight. People then resume their normal eating patterns and gain weight very quickly. This causes people to blame carbs or whatever food group they eliminated. When in reality, you changed your body composition, thus your caloric needs have changed. This is where KETO can potentially become dangerous.
So, is it eliminating carbohydrates the key?
It would seem that the KETO Diet is unsustainable long term; therefore, there are no long-term studies supporting that a keto diet is healthy, in particular for losing weight or decreasing morbidity rates.
So what can we take away from all this?
If you dont have a pre-existing health condition, (mentioned above), or havent been advised to eat KETO by a Doctor, Specialist or Dietician, perhaps following a traditionalMediterranean dietis the answer to optimal health, longevity and weight loss that stays off.
This way of eating combines a good combination of healthy fats and healthy, complex carbs. By including a larger food group, this ensures cravings are kept at bay, all the while getting all the nutrients you need to feel satiable and happy.
So, what are you waiting for! Lets get to cooking thosegemista(stuffed capsicums) and roast lamb with Greek salad. Happy healthy carb consuming!
Continue reading here:
KETO Diet: Is It Just Hype Or A New Way Of Life? - Greek City Times
- How to Lose Weight with Fasting - BOXROX - November 11th, 2020
- 5 Myths About Calories That Could Prevent You From Losing Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 11th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson touches on emotional eating struggles prior to losing weight - Geo News - November 11th, 2020
- Weight loss can reduce the risk of heart attack - Gulf Today - November 11th, 2020
- Do you have a thyroid condition? Here are 5 weight loss tips for people with hypothyroidism - Times Now - November 11th, 2020
- Guess which exercise burns fat the fastest: For weight loss, it's surprisingly simple - T3 - November 11th, 2020
- Trial finds limiting calories more important than the time of day you eat - New Atlas - November 11th, 2020
- Suffering from diabetes? Reducing body fat linked to lower heart risk among diabetic patients - TheHealthSite - November 11th, 2020
- How to avoid weight gain at home: 8 home weight loss tips and essential equipment - T3 - November 11th, 2020
- You Don't Have to Go Keto to Lose Weight, Says This Diet Expert - The Beet - November 9th, 2020
- How losing weight through fruits affects health, tips from nutritionist - Yahoo Philippines News - November 9th, 2020
- More Americans are Trying to Lose Weight Than Ever Before, Study Finds - msnNOW - November 9th, 2020
- The Health at Every Size Philosophy Aims To Make Health Care More Inclusive of Larger-Sized Bodies - Well+Good - November 9th, 2020
- Scots finding their get up and go after 50 by losing weight and moving abroad - Daily Record - November 9th, 2020
- One Shot Keto Reviews Details One Shot Keto Pills Read Ingredients and Really Work - Riverfront Times - November 9th, 2020
- The shape I'm in: Cork comedian Sinead Quinlan on her TV show and losing weight during lockdown - Irish Examiner - November 9th, 2020
- Pick Up These 5 Great Items To Help Lose Weight Quickly - Men's Journal - November 5th, 2020
- Why Am I Not Losing Weight on the Starch Solution? These 12 Simple Tweaks Can Help - POPSUGAR - November 5th, 2020
- Contradictheory: My secret to losing weight (it's not what you think) - The Star Online - November 5th, 2020
- The #1 Way to Lose Weight You Haven't Tried Yet, Say Doctors - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 5th, 2020
- Weight loss: 6 reasons why you may not be losing weight with Surya Namaskar - Times of India - November 5th, 2020
- Dry Fasting: Health Benefits of This Lesser Known Yet New Way to Fitness - News18 - November 5th, 2020
- 'By Counting Macros And Weightlifting To Train For A Fitness Competition, I Lost 140 Pounds' - Women's Health - November 5th, 2020
- R Walk Fitness catching on The Famuan - Famuan - November 5th, 2020
- How TikTok became a hotbed of pro-anorexic videos and severely underweight influencers promoting - The Sun - November 5th, 2020
- Doing This One Thing Can Drive Your Weight Loss, New Study Shows - Yahoo Canada Shine On - October 28th, 2020
- With Weight Watchers And The Nike Running App, I Finally Broke Out Of My Weight-Loss Rut - Women's Health - October 28th, 2020
- Best nutrition apps: 10 of the top options - Medical News Today - October 28th, 2020
- Weight loss: can your 'settling point' prevent you from losing weight in the long term? - T3 (Australia) - October 28th, 2020
- How Can You Get Rid of Back Fat? 11 Tips for the Gym and Your Plate - Greatist - October 28th, 2020
- The Best and Worst Snacks for Weight Loss - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 28th, 2020
- 8 Best and Worst Types of Alcohol for Weight Loss - Everyday Health - October 28th, 2020
- Losing 13 percent of your weight could lead to big health improvements - The Oakland Press - October 28th, 2020
- There's a way to make weight loss easier and it involves your partner (no, it's not sex) - T3 - October 28th, 2020
- Control your weight to lower stroke risk: 5 diet, fitness tips to help you shed pounds and keep them off - Times Now - October 28th, 2020
- Utah Latinos are urged to stay safe from COVID-19, avoid big holiday gatherings - Salt Lake Tribune - October 28th, 2020
- Definition is broader than what we covered | Jackson Hole Woman - Jackson Hole News&Guide - October 28th, 2020
- Khabib Nurmagomedov and Uriah Halls Traumatic Seizures May Reveal Dangers of Cutting Weight in the UFC - Sportscasting - October 28th, 2020
- Princeton Police Dept's Annual Coat Drive is Going On Now - 94.5 PST - October 28th, 2020
- Getting The Most Possible From Your Daily Workouts - Chiang Rai Times - October 28th, 2020
- 5 things to know about Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - StarNewsOnline.com - October 28th, 2020
- Artificial Sweeteners in Drinks are Not Healthy and Safe for Heart - TheHealthMania - October 28th, 2020
- Learning About the Health Benefits of SUP Yoga Exercise - Chiang Rai Times - October 28th, 2020
- 5 science-backed benefits of fasting, and how to fast safely and effectively - INSIDER - October 22nd, 2020
- Do you really lose weight by fat-free and sugar-free diets? Know the pros and cons of such eating patterns - Times Now - October 22nd, 2020
- DECODED: Why is it harder for short people to lose weight - Times of India - October 22nd, 2020
- Best weight loss diets: Experts weigh in on Whole30, Paleo, Keto and more - CNET - October 22nd, 2020
- Suniel Shetty reveals his formula of gaining and losing weight - GQ India - October 22nd, 2020
- Study says this is the #1 thing that causes you to gain weight - BGR - October 22nd, 2020
- Lose weight in your sleep with these bedtime drinks - TheHealthSite - October 22nd, 2020
- Woman missing for 2 weeks found safe in Zion National Park - Seymour Tribune - October 22nd, 2020
- Health and Wellness Predictions For 2021: Helen Lee Schifter - Taste Terminal - October 22nd, 2020
- Slimming World consultant inspired to lose weight after feeling like a failure to her class - Lincolnshire Live - October 21st, 2020
- #HealthBytes: Effective tips that can help you lose weight - NewsBytes - October 21st, 2020
- How does Slimming World work and how much is it to join? - The Irish Sun - October 21st, 2020
- 'Its literally the perfect knife': Dan Hong on the three most useful objects in his life - The Guardian - October 21st, 2020
- After losing 140 pounds, Saskatoon woman shocked to learn province won't cover skin-removal surgeries - CTV News Saskatoon - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss Tips: Nutritionist Tells What Actually Works For Losing Weight Effectively - NDTV - October 18th, 2020
- Using the Pandemic as an Opportunity to Lose Weight and Get in Shape - The New York Times - October 18th, 2020
- You Can Still Eat Dessert and Lose Weight Unless You're Making These 3 Mistakes - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 18th, 2020
- 7 tips from Mumbais best fitness trainers and nutritionists on how to lose weight - GQ India - October 18th, 2020
- Want to knock off 5kgs in a month? Try this - NewsBytes - October 18th, 2020
- This Guy Lost 270 Pounds and Got Jacked After a Seizure Gave Him a Serious Wake-up Call - menshealth.com - October 18th, 2020
- Is it safe to do intermittent fasting while breastfeeding? - TheHealthSite - October 18th, 2020
- Amy Duggar Claps Back at Troll Who Told Her to Have More Kids, Lose Weight - Us Weekly - October 18th, 2020
- How Often Should You Work Out? For Weight Loss and Muscle Gain - Greatist - October 18th, 2020
- The Arctic is on track to lose more ice this century than at any point since the end of the Ice Age. Photos show the dramatic melting. - Business... - October 18th, 2020
- Phillip Schofield's months of hell and secret torment - losing weight, vomiting and missing work - Mirror Online - October 18th, 2020
- This Clever Technique Will Help You Lose Weight and Stay Fit - Slate - October 13th, 2020
- Is The Keto Diet Good For PCOS? Benefits Of Low-Carb Diet For PCOS - Women's Health - October 13th, 2020
- Is keto a healthy way to lose weight? Everything to know about the divisive low-carb diet - The National - October 13th, 2020
- How to Lose Fat Without Losing Muscle, According to Experts - Greatist - October 13th, 2020
- On a weight loss diet? Here are two quick and healthy breakfast recipes to kickstart your metabolism - Times Now - October 13th, 2020
- 806 Health Tip: Consistency Is Key To Losing Weight - mix941kmxj.com - October 13th, 2020
- Be specific with your intentions - Stabroek News - October 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Signs your workout is actually making you gain more weight - Times of India - October 13th, 2020
- Kelly Osbourne shows off incredible 80-pound weight loss in skintight black jeans and low-cut top before - The Sun - October 13th, 2020
- AJ McLean's Body Transformation since Joining DWTS How Much Weight Has He Lost? - AmoMama - October 13th, 2020
- Scots mum claims she was fat-shamed by NHS weight loss leaflet just seven weeks after giving birth - Daily Record - October 13th, 2020
- Arthritis pain: Why weight loss helps; 3 ways to stay active and manage joint pain at home - Times Now - October 13th, 2020