Panera Bread is a popular chain restaurant offering soups, salads, sandwiches, pasta, and pastries.
However, if youre on the very low carb, high fat keto diet, you may wonder whether you can safely eat at Panera.
While most menu items are too carb-heavy as is, you can customize several dishes to fit the diet. The following options contain up to 12 grams of net carbs per item and can be worked into a carefully planned keto diet.
Panera Bread also has a robust nutrition calculator built into the menu on their website, but the calculator doesnt allow you to remove bread from sandwiches. Thus, you may need to do your own math to estimate the carb count of other menu items without bread (1).
Here are 10 of the best keto options at Panera Bread.
At Panera Bread, breakfast sandwiches are typically served on a bagel or in a wrap, but its simple enough to skip the bread.
This light breakfast is perfectly keto-friendly when you remove the bread and tomatoes. In fact, to make it even more filling, you can opt for a regular egg instead of egg whites.
Order: the Avocado, Egg White, & Spinach, with no tomatoes and no bagel
Heres the approximate nutrient breakdown:
This hearty breakfast option is full of fat and protein to keep you full. All you need to do to make it keto is remove the ciabatta bread.
Order: the Sausage, Scrambled Egg, & Cheese, with no bread
Heres the nutrient content of this item:
This wrap without the tortilla, of course makes a great keto-friendly breakfast with a bit of a kick from Peppadew peppers and chipotle aioli.
Order: the Chipotle Chicken, Scrambled Egg, & Avocado wrap, with no tortilla
Heres the approximate nutrient breakdown:
Many Panera sandwiches are keto-friendly if you remove the bread, but you also need to be wary of certain sauces, such as barbecue sauce, and high carb veggies like tomatoes and onions.
Furthermore, you can ask your local Panera Bread whether they can turn the sandwich into a lettuce wrap, which will make your breadless sandwich more portable and easier to eat.
When you remove the bread and tomatoes, this item is full of keto-friendly goodness turkey, bacon, avocado, greens, and mayo.
Order: the Roasted Turkey & Avocado BLT with no bread and no tomatoes
This BLT without the T contains:
This simple sandwich featuring ham, Swiss cheese, mayo, mustard, and greens makes a great keto-friendly meal when the bread is removed.
Order: the Heritage Ham & Swiss with no bread
Heres the approximate nutrient breakdown:
The Chipotle Chicken Avocado Melt features smoked, pulled chicken, Gouda cheese, avocado, cilantro, Peppadew peppers, and chipotle mayo for a spicy, Southwestern flavor.
Be sure to ask for this dish without the bread.
Order: the Chipotle Chicken Avocado Melt, no bread
This item contains approximately:
Many salads at Panera Bread are surprisingly high in carbs due to the addition of croutons, tortilla strips, beans, corn, fruit, or other high carb toppings. Additionally, many of their salad dressings are loaded with sugar.
To reduce the carb count, order your dressing on the side and only use what you need.
Below are the three most keto-friendly salads, when customized.
When you leave out the croutons, the Caesar Salad is keto-friendly. Its made even more so with the addition of chicken for some extra protein.
Notably, the Caesar dressing itself is low in carbs.
Order: the Caesar Salad with chicken, without croutons dressing on the side
Heres the approximate nutrient content:
With just a few changes, the Greek Salad with Greek dressing is great for keto. Just remove the red onions and tomatoes, which are high in carbs, and add chicken for a protein boost.
Order: the Greek Salad with chicken no tomatoes, no onions, and dressing on the side
When customized as such, this item offers:
This Cobb salad is piled high with fresh salad greens, chicken, avocado, a hard-boiled egg, and bacon. Make sure to skip the tomatoes and pickled red onions, and sub in Caesar dressing for the typical Green Goddess dressing, which is carb-heavy.
Order: the Green Goddess Cobb Salad, no pickled red onions and no tomatoes, with Caesar dressing on the side (no Green Goddess dressing)
Skip the famous bread bowls and stick to this one low carb option if you want keto-friendly soup at Panera Bread.
Unfortunately, the other soups even those that dont seem carb-heavy harbor 20 or more grams of net carbs per serving.
While relatively high in net carbs for the keto diet, this veggie soup is the only soup offering at Panera Bread thats remotely keto-friendly. Add cheese or avocado to boost the fat content and make this a more substantial meal.
Order: Ten Vegetable Soup in a regular bowl
Heres the nutrient breakdown:
Its easy to eat keto at Panera if you stick to sandwiches without bread.
If you choose a menu item thats not on this list, here are a few tips to minimize the carb count:
Supposedly, Panera Bread also has a secret menu featuring high protein, low carb bowls that can easily be made keto-friendly. However, theres no information regarding these items or their nutrient content on the Panera Bread website.
Additionally, the restaurants grab-and-go section may occasionally offer hard-boiled eggs, which are great for the keto diet.
To eat keto at Panera Bread, youll want to customize your order.
Many of their sandwiches are keto-friendly if you remove the bread, tomatoes, and onions. For salads, opt for Greek or Caesar dressing and skip the high carb condiments. Try to be more careful with soups, as only one soup item on their main menu is keto-friendly.
If youre looking for more keto-friendly options at this popular chain, be sure to check out the nutrition calculator on the companys website.
- Fasting for Navratri? Here are some healthy and safe ways in which you can lose weight - The Indian Express - October 24th, 2020
- Freezing and Thawing Fresh Food: 8 Dos and Don'ts - Everyday Health - October 24th, 2020
- The 6 Types of Foods to Avoid With Ulcerative Colitis - Self - October 24th, 2020
- Brighter Bites Receives Walmart Foundation Grant to Expand Access to Fresh Produce and Nutrition Education Across Schools this Fall - PerishableNews - October 24th, 2020
- Tecate Pairs with Tamales in a Holiday Promotion Marking Mexican American Family Tradition - Abasto, Food and Beverage Industry News - October 24th, 2020
- 5 health benefits of aloe vera, from healing sunburn and reducing acne to helping with digestion - Insider - INSIDER - October 24th, 2020
- OPINION | Can tea really lower your blood sugar? - Health24 - October 24th, 2020
- 5 critical steps you can take to protect yourself from coronavirus and other infectious diseases - Times Now - October 24th, 2020
- Is intermittent fasting bad for you? These are the benefits and drawbacks of restrictive diets - and the healthiest way to lose weight explained - The... - October 21st, 2020
- Navratri Fasting Tips: 9 Expert-Recommended Foods That You Can Have Guilt-Free - NDTV - October 21st, 2020
- Tips to fast safely during this coronavirus pandemic - TheHealthSite - October 21st, 2020
- Everything you need to know about the diets loved by Zara McDermott, Jennifer Aniston and Gwyneth Paltrow - OK! magazine - October 21st, 2020
- Covid-19: Eating in the office cafeteria? Keep these pointers in mind - The Indian Express - October 21st, 2020
- Losing weight with fasting - Know what to eat during Navratri, tips, recipe to fast safely - Times Now - October 18th, 2020
- 9 of the best restaurants in Central Pa. for indoor dining during the pandemic: Mimis picks - PennLive - October 18th, 2020
- JODY HOLTON The doctor wants an A1C Test. What is it and why? - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - October 17th, 2020
- Harriette Cole: Im just out with my girls. Why doesnt he trust me? - The Mercury News - October 17th, 2020
- Navratri 2020: Puja timings, vrat tithi and foods! - Times of India - October 17th, 2020
- Preventing hidden hunger in the time of pandemic - Al Jazeera English - October 17th, 2020
- Artist Gina Adams exhibition, titled Its Honor is Hereby Pledged, on display at UNCPs A.D. Gallery - The Robesonian - October 17th, 2020
- Boyfriend may have trust issues - The Times and Democrat - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In Arlington Heights - Arlington Heights, IL Patch - October 16th, 2020
- 5 Things To Know On World Food Day 2020 In New York - Yorktown, NY Patch - October 16th, 2020
- RECALL: 18 Brands of Dog Food Recalled by FDA Over Toxin Concerns - ourcommunitynow.com - October 16th, 2020
- Were We Mentally Ready for COVID-19? Why It's Time to Take Behavioral Health Seriously - - HIT Consultant - October 16th, 2020
- Oct. 14 COVID-19 update: 12 best strategies to stay healthy this fall and winter - Prescott Daily Courier - October 16th, 2020
- Gallbladder and Alcohol Consumption: What to Know - Healthline - October 16th, 2020
- What is intermittent fasting? Simple tips to do it safely - DNA India - October 7th, 2020
- Jenna Dewan Nails Her Response to Fans Asking for Her Postpartum Diet and Fitness Routine - E! Online - October 7th, 2020
- Food for thought: Breast cancer and nutrition - Coastal Courier - October 7th, 2020
- What liposuction is, and why it can make you thinner, but not thin - ZME Science - October 7th, 2020
- Diabetes And Covid-19: Expert Tips And Full-Day Diet Plan For Diabetics - NDTV Food - October 7th, 2020
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic October 2 - Medical News Today - October 7th, 2020
- Quick Breakfast Ideas: Prepare This Avocado Toast To Get A Dash Of Protein, Fibre And Good Fats - NDTV - October 7th, 2020
- Study Debunks Claim That This Popular Food Causes Inflammation - KYR News - October 7th, 2020
- The Top 10 Virtual Plant-Based Events You Don't Want To Miss - Plant Based News - October 1st, 2020
- How to gain weight quickly and safely - Netdoctor - October 1st, 2020
- Six commonly-eaten foods that can make you ill, and how to prepare and store them safely - Aberdeen Evening Express - October 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus Tips: Prevention and Safety For Everyday Life - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - October 1st, 2020
- 7 Bad Habits to Quit That Can Make You Feel Healthier Within Weeks - Chiang Rai Times - October 1st, 2020
- Understanding heart conditions and their warning signs - Times of Malta - October 1st, 2020
- Kidney Health and Ketoveyda: How Suraksha Naturals Is Addressing the Health Concerns of the Keto Community - PRNewswire - September 29th, 2020
- Eating right and playing well The Island - The Island.lk - September 29th, 2020
- Prebiotics 101: Discover Why Prebiotic Fiber Is The Most Important Thing Missing From Your Diet - CBS Houston - September 29th, 2020
- Amsterdam and Helsinki launch algorithm registries to bring transparency to public deployments of AI - Best gaming pro - September 29th, 2020
- How Safe is the 3 Day Cardiac Diet? - MedicineNet - September 23rd, 2020
- James Cracknell is running for five days without food to prove we don't need carbs - is he right? - Telegraph.co.uk - September 23rd, 2020
- Opinion | Going against the grain: Debunking celiac disease misconceptions - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - September 23rd, 2020
- Blue Origin gets ready to test its suborbital spaceship with COVID-19 safety in mind - GeekWire - September 23rd, 2020
- What We Miss Most About Going to the Movies - Collider.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Want to Lose Weight Running? Experts Explain How to Achieve Your Goals Faster (and Safely) - Yahoo! Voices - September 22nd, 2020
- The Best Fish Scalers to Clean Your Catch - Robb Report - September 22nd, 2020
- Heart Failure in Primary Care: Do's and Don't's - Medscape - September 22nd, 2020
- The good, the bad and the dietary: Making sense of cholesterol - Gaston Gazette - September 22nd, 2020
- Why can't I go into my child's school, what is happening with SQA Exams? North-east council release FAQ guide to help parents - Aberdeen Evening... - September 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19 threatens to increase cancer mortality The Cancer Letter - The Cancer Letter - September 22nd, 2020
- How to be second wave savvy and what not to repeat from the first lockdown - Telegraph.co.uk - September 22nd, 2020
- The good, the bad and the dietary: Making sense of cholesterol - Boonville Daily News - September 18th, 2020
- The 7 Health Benefits of Eating More Tofu, and How to Enjoy It - The Beet - September 18th, 2020
- Is VR the Future of Corporate Training? - Harvard Business Review - September 18th, 2020
- City seeking input on safety improvements to Linn Street in West End - WCPO - September 18th, 2020
- What is a 'reverse diet' and can it help you to maintain your goal weight? - Health24 - September 8th, 2020
- How to Use Public Transit Safely During the Pandemic - One Green Planet - September 8th, 2020
- Brits ignore PMs diet plea as spending on takeaways surges - City A.M. - September 8th, 2020
- Healthy success for Pocklington-based slimming consultant - Pocklington Post - September 8th, 2020
- Tips on how to stay safe and not spread COVID-19 on this Labor Day Weekend - Berkeleyside - September 8th, 2020
- Dr. Pimple Popper cut open a 'bubble wrap' growth the size of a grapefruit on a patient's back - Business Insider India - September 6th, 2020
- Vancouver teacher praises benefits of taking kids outside of classroom to learn - CBC.ca - September 6th, 2020
- From a bald budgie to a fat goldfish your pet queries answered - The Sun - September 6th, 2020
- 'Gross cruelty' towards the consignment of sheep and cattle headed for the Middle East - IOL - September 6th, 2020
- How Much Weight Loss Can You Achieve In Three Months? - Women's Health - September 5th, 2020
- These simulations show how face shields and valved masks allow clouds of respiratory droplets to escape - Business Insider India - September 5th, 2020
- My ex just admitted he avoided sex because he has erectile dysfunction. Was I wrong to end things over our lac - Business Insider India - September 5th, 2020
- Anxious with anticipation? | News, Sports, Jobs - The Sentinel - Lewistown Sentinel - September 5th, 2020
- Vegetarians suffer from iron deficiency anaemia and other myths about the micronutrient deficiency busted - Times Now - September 5th, 2020
- Understanding the hidden risks of recreational marijuana - Houston Chronicle - September 4th, 2020
- Debunking the soy-estrogen problem and other soy myths - ZME Science - September 4th, 2020
- The Foods 5 Famous Chefs Never Leave the Grocery Store Without - Yahoo! Voices - September 4th, 2020
- The 8 Best Diet Plans Sustainability, Weight Loss, and More - September 1st, 2020
- Column: Be smart and safe when trying to lose weight during coronavirus pandemic - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - September 1st, 2020