Ohio State big man Kaleb Wesson has made drastic improvements to his game and to his body, which has helped him prepare him for the pros.
Wesson, who recorded the best score at the three-point star drill during the 2020 NBA draft combine,spoke to HoopsHype about training for the draft with his older brother Andre Wesson, who is also eligible to be selected. He also touched on how he dramatically improved his weight and what he learned from former first-round pick Jared Sullinger. Make sure to read until the end to learn about his favorite taco recipe as well.
Please note this interview was very minorly edited for brevity and clarity.
When youre talking to NBA teams, what are some of the things you want them to know?
Kaleb Wesson: Im just telling them that Im a hard worker. There are a lot of guys who go into the league and that first year, they think they made it. But if youve seen my career, youve seen that Ive had to grind for almost everything Ive accomplished. I had to go from 325 pounds to get to 285 pounds to even get a chance to play for Ohio State. You saw that I had to drop even more weight to play at the high level that I play at now. You saw that I to increase my three-point shooting percentage to get where I am now, too. You can just see that I am a hard worker. You also see the leadership. Thats big. For example, if you are not playing at the NBA level and they have you in the G League, are you just going to shut down because you think youre better than somebody else and just pout? Or are you going to work harder? Are you going to have the self-awareness to know you have to get better and then actually do it?
Speaking of which, what are you doing to get yourself in the best shape right now?
KW: Right now, the biggest thing for me is my body. Im just making sure my body is in the right place. That is what everybody tells me is holding me back. Ive heard that since I got to Ohio State. My goal is 255 pounds and 10% body fat. Im slowly getting there. Its just about eating a lot of the right things and working with a nutritionist. It has been helpful to have somebody who can help me make my plate and we even have pre-made meals that are really good that they send us. It has everything that we need including protein shakes and stuff like that. Im dropping weight but I also want to keep that muscle on. So when Im home, Im doing push-ups and sit-ups and stuff like that just to make everything stable.
How would you describe your game to someone who has not seen you play before?
KW: I feel like my game is kind of like Al Horfordand Nikola Jokic. I am somebody who can initiate offense and I can play in those pick-and-pop, short-roll situations where Im reading a defense. I know where the guy is in the corner while somebody is cutting. I make those decisions in quick seconds. I did that a lot at Ohio State. I always had the ball in my hands. I averaged almost three assists a game at Ohio State. I dont think a lot of guys of my height were doing that in college. I know when to shoot the ball and when to pass it. I know when to get quick and swing it fast so the defense keeps moving. I feel I do all of that at a high level.
What aspects of your game do you think will surprise teams?
KW: I feel like teams are going to be impressed with my entire game, including the way I handle the ball along the perimeter, how I initiate the offense, how I handle dribble hand-offs and ball screens, my ability to pass the ball, my ability to read the game. I feel like my basketball IQ is actually something that I dont get enough credit for so far. I feel like it also impacts me on the defensive end. I am able to force a guy a way he doesnt want to go, knowing the way hes going to pull up. I know if hes right-handed he has to come back to his right hand to shoot the ball.
Every year you improved your output and your efficiency on 3-pointers. When you see both of those things, that says a lot about the work ethic you have. Can you walk me through the evolution of your jump shot?
KW: My dad taught me a lot of fundamentals like the Mikan drill. That helped with my touch around the rim. I feel like I just took that to mid-range. Then our coach told me I could shoot 3-pointers during my freshman year. Going from my freshman year to sophomore year, our coach told me he wanted me to shoot three-pointers. As a big man who spent his whole life on the block, I was like: Why? I feel like Im doing well on the block. The game is transitioning. Im realizing that. There are a lot of lanky guys who are shooting three-pointers, setting screens, running to the rim. You are either an athletic guy or you are a three-point shooter. Im not as much of an athletic guy, so I had to pick up three-point shooting. Going into my junior year, our coach told me he wants me to shoot at least three 3-pointers.
How do you think your abilities in the pick and pop are going to translate to the next level?
KW: I have the ability to run the pick-and-pop at the highest level is irreplaceable. That was the result of several role changes at Ohio State. During my first year, I was the third or fourth option on the floor. So rolling to the basket was opening things for my team. Something I noticed is that by this year, teams would just switch on the pick-and-pop. They put a smaller guy on me and then switched back with a forward when I rolled down to the post. But Ill be able to read situations like that and counter it by keeping them on my backside while Im rolling. I feel like being able to adapt to a different role is something that I have shown during my career. I feel like that is one of the reasons my coaches asked me to do that at Ohio State. They saw that I have the footwork, hands and everything like that. But they also wanted to show people that I could shoot the ball from the perimeter and that I have really good touch and that I can initiate offense from the perimeter as well.
One thing that stands out about your game is your defensive rebound percentage, which was one of the best in the nation. Howd you become a tenacious rebounder and how did you find that impacted your team?
KW: I feel what really helped my rebounding over the past year was the weight loss. I was able to rebound outside my area and not being as tired. Not just boxing my guy out and letting somebody else rebound it, but doing both. I feel like the weight loss helped a lot with my rebounding.
Ohio State had a Top 20 offense and a Top 20 defense, which is a good credit for you as a team leader. How were you able to balance success on both sides of the ball?
KW: Im glad you say that because other people dont give me as much credit as a defender. The misconception of a big guy is that he is not able to move his feet. I did some things this year, like boxing, to make my feet even better. But, as you said, it speaks a lot to my leadership. A leader sets the tone for what the game is going to look like. That speaks to the older guys on our team. I feel like that was our identity: work hard, put your head down, grind it out. Be happy about your results at the end of the day.
How have you been able to reconcile with last season being cut short before March Madness, especially considering Ohio State was a Top 10 team in the country?
KW: I dont know if there is anything that will make me feel comfortable about that. I feel like missing out on a chance to play for the national championship is huge. That could have been our legacy. But I am just keeping my head down and working hard. Im making sure that the next opportunity is one where I can make the most out of it. The game can go away in the instant. We were supposed to play the next day and we woke up and the last season with my brother, not knowing if wed play together again, was over. Thats something that you cant get back. It hurt.
When you look back at your time at Ohio State, what are some of the things youre most proud of from that stage in your career?
KW: The first thing was being a captain my junior season. That was something that was big for me coming off my sophomore year and that suspension. There are a lot of cases where guys dont come back from stuff like that, as far as their team goes. They do not become team captains, people look down upon them, stuff like that. But I feel like my teammates knew that I really bought in and really wanted to be a part of the team. Doing that was a big accomplishment for me, getting all of the trust back from my teammates and my coaches.
You mention that suspension. What was your internal dialogue like to come back from that?
KW: I feel like it just showed my resilience and how hard I work. My teammates saw that and they respected that. I feel like thats what kind of gained my trust from them. They saw that I was bought in more than I was before. They saw that I wasnt going to go back to the same old habits I was doing and stuff like that. It shows Ive turned around.
Out of curiosity, have you had the chance to talk to Jared Sullinger much?
KW: Yeah! Jared Sullinger has been my mentor ever since I got to Ohio State. Even before that, I was watching him play at Ohio State and then go to the pros. He saw some of my games when I was growing up. He has told me about the NBA game and how it is a business and what you have to do to get better. He has had similar adversities with his weight and how he got let out of the league and had to go overseas and play. He told me he doesnt want to see that for me. Thats big. He treats me like family.
Your dad also played basketball at Ohio State. What advice has he given you throughout this process?
KW: He is telling us to keep our heads down and grind it out; control what you can control. We cant control what the NBA is going to look like or if there is going to be a G League season. He is just telling us to work hard. You dont have to get ready if youre ready.
When you say us, I know that it is because you and your brother are both eligible for the 2020 NBA draft. How have you guys been able to help each other through this pre-draft process?
KW: Its just like how it has always been our whole life. Andre and I are so competitive with each other. Anything we do, were going to compete at it. If he has a workout before I do or if I have a workout before he does, were going to see who shoots better in the workout. Were going to ask the trainer whos shooting better. That really helps us, as far as our competitive edge. But weve been getting some runs together. I want NBA teams to look more into my brother, actually. I feel like he doesnt get the credit he deserves as he is somebody who guards one through four. He was shooting 3-pointers while defending at a high level, guarding the best player on the other team every game.
What have your workouts been like with him over the past several months?
KW: The biggest problem for me was during the first couple of months when everything was shut down and you couldnt go to a gym. You couldnt go anywhere. The biggest thing for a guy like me was that I had to watch what I was eating, constantly. I was working out in my home by myself. I was doing push-ups and bodyweight work. I eventually started getting weights toward the middle of it. The blessing was signing with my agent Jelani Floyd. He got me down to Houston and got me with a team that I work out with a lot. We got a lot of good work done down in Houston.
Who are some of the guys that you were working out with?
KW: When Andre and I got here, we were working out with Baylor guard Jared Butler and some pro guys like JaeSean Tate, Isaiah Hartenstein andJosh Gray. We also had Robert Covington come to the gym with us before he went to the bubble. A lot of guys, so there was really good work.
What are some of your other interests outside of basketball?
KW: I actually started getting into golf. Im actually looking for golf clubs right now. But before that, it was cooking. I like to read books a lot. Right now, Im reading Why the Best Are the Best by Kevin Eastman. I talked to him a couple of times at different seminars and conferences that Ive been invited to attend. I learned about his experience with Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, LeBron James. He has a different mindset and getting into that mindset is something that I want to do. But thats about it: cooking, books, golf. Ill also play against Andre in NBA 2K.
What are some of your favorite dishes that you can cook?
KW: Chicken tacos. I make a mean chicken pita taco. You got the green peppers, the onion, throw a little paprika in there. I dont use the taco seasoning. Nah, thats basic. You have to get the hot peppers in there. You have to cook the chicken up, get the tortillas in there, cut up a little jalapeno. Get some lettuce, tomato. Youre eating good.
Whats your favorite movie and who is your favorite musician?
KW: My favorite movie is Life (1999) with Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence. But my favorite artist right now? Thats a tough one. Ill go Calboy.
- The biggest weight loss transformations of 2020 - Fox News - December 31st, 2020
- 6 foods that boost your metabolism and may help you lose weight - Insider - INSIDER - December 31st, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Size, Share, Growth Trends, Revenue, Top Companies, Regional Outlook, and Forecast, 2020-2027 - LionLowdown - December 31st, 2020
- 12 Side Effects of Eating Oatmeal, Say Dietitians | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - December 31st, 2020
- Global Nutrition And Weight Management Products Market insights from profiling key companies based on financial position, product portfolio, and... - December 31st, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Top Leading Companies, Consumption, Key Drivers, Challenges and Trends Forecast to 2027|- Ajinomoto Co,... - December 31st, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Weight Management Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Herbalife, Johnson Health Tech,... - December 31st, 2020
- Upgrade your weight loss plan by adding these winter foods to your diet - Times Now - December 22nd, 2020
- Balance by BistroMD review: Pros and cons - Medical News Today - December 22nd, 2020
- Weight Management Market Shows Boosted Growth Rate in Forecast to 2026 | Coherent Market Insights - The Monitor - December 22nd, 2020
- Keto Weight Loss: What to Expect After 1 Week - Healthline - December 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Market Global Status and Business Outlook 2020 to 2027 - LionLowdown - December 20th, 2020
- Talking to Kids about Weight: What the Internet Says and Why Researchers Are Wary - DrexelNow - Drexel Now - December 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Per - GroundAlerts.com - December 20th, 2020
- Intellihealth: Integrates Population Management with Primary Care to Enhance Weight Loss Outcomes - MedicalResearch.com - December 20th, 2020
- The Healthiest Diets of 2020, According to Experts | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - December 20th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market 2020 | (COVID 19 Analysis) Offered In New Most recent Research Report with... - December 20th, 2020
- MannKind and Vertice to Co-Promote Thyquidity (levothyroxine sodium) Oral Solution - GlobeNewswire - December 20th, 2020
- Associations of time-restricted eating with health-related quality of life and sleep in adults: a secondary analysis of two pre-post pilot studies -... - December 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Market Overview, Growth, Demand and Forecast Research Report to 2026 - The Market Feed - November 27th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Weight Loss and Diet Management Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Weight Watchers,... - November 27th, 2020
- 3 Important Things to Lower Weight Loss Surgery Risks - TheHealthMania - November 27th, 2020
- 12 Ways To Prevent Holiday Weight Gain This December - Longevity LIVE - November 27th, 2020
- Middle East & Africa Egg White Powder Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysis By Grade, Distribution Channel, and... - November 27th, 2020
- SWIFt Study: Weight-loss strategy aims to prioritise the 'health' of our healthcare workers - Monash Lens - November 27th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Reports Globe - Cheshire Media - November 25th, 2020
- Stress Weight Loss: Causes, Treatment, and Prevention - Greatist - November 25th, 2020
- Age is not a barrier to losing weight, study finds - Atlanta Journal Constitution - November 25th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market 2020 Industry Challenges Business Overview And Forecast Research... - November 25th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Weight Management Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study 2026 - The Haitian-Caribbean... - November 25th, 2020
- Add more plant-based options to your diet with this healthy 7-day flexitarian meal plan - Insider - INSIDER - November 25th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts Of Covid-19 On Women Weight Management Market Effects, Aftermath And Forecast To 2026 - Eurowire - November 25th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Health and Weight Management Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Herbalife, Weight... - November 25th, 2020
- SavvyWP.com Highlights the Importance of Weight Management Over the Holiday Season - The News Front - November 25th, 2020
- Weight Loss Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2027, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - Khabar South Asia - November 25th, 2020
- Weight Management Packaged Food Market Size, Analysis, and Forecast Report 2018 to 2028 - The Market Feed - November 25th, 2020
- Collagen Market Worth $7.53 billion by 2027- Exclusive Report Covering Pre and Post COVID-19 Market Analysis by Meticulous Research - GlobeNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Global Weight Management Devices Market Report 2020 Significant Trends and Factors Driving the Market Development Forecast to 2027 - ICOTodayMagazine - November 24th, 2020
- Weight Management Market With Top Countries data : Evolving Technology, Trends and Industry Analysis 2026 | Herbalife International Inc., NutriSystem... - November 24th, 2020
- Weight loss: I gave up my biggest addiction Maggi and lost 20 kilos in 5 months with diet control and workout! - Times of India - November 24th, 2020
- High-protein total replacement diet helps burn fat: Here's how you can switch to it for effective weight loss - Times Now - November 24th, 2020
- Advances in the diagnosis and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease - The BMJ - November 24th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Market Expected To Reach Highest CAGR by 2026 : Weight Watchers, Abbott Nutrition, The Coca-Cola, Pepsico,... - November 24th, 2020
- Could people achieve remission of type 2 diabetes without needing to lose weight? - On Medicine - BMC Blogs Network - November 24th, 2020
- Online Weight Loss Programs Market will surge to the highest levels By 2027 - PRnews Leader - November 24th, 2020
- What Is the Healthiest Bread? - msnNOW - November 24th, 2020
- Winning isn't always about taking first, sometimes it's about being there at all - Williston Daily Herald - November 5th, 2020
- 5 Tips to work your way out of a food rut - TheHealthSite - November 5th, 2020
- Menopause Weight Gain: Is It Inevitable? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - November 5th, 2020
- Innerme's Organic Plant-Based Sports Nutrition Supplements Debuted This Month at ECRM's Annual Vitamin, Weight Management, Beverage & Sports... - October 22nd, 2020
- Trends Of Weight Management Packaged Foods Market Reviewed For 2020 With Industry Outlook To 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 22nd, 2020
- INNOVIOM Debuted Tranquini and Wowie Relaxation Beverages at ECRM's Annual Vitamin, Weight Management, Beverage & Sports Nutrition Program for... - October 22nd, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Product Market to 2026: Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications - News by Decresearch - October 22nd, 2020
- There's a New Reason You Can't Lose Weight, According to Science - Best Life - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Nutrition And Weight Management Products Market 2020-2026 Trends, industry vertical, along with the geography, delivering valuable insights. -... - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Weight Management Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by Forecast 2026 |... - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market Expected To Reach xx.xx Mn By 2026: Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness, Brunswick... - October 22nd, 2020
- Bongmi Group launches InFasting App - A Powerful and Effective New Digital Intermittent Fasting Tool - PRNewswire - October 22nd, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts Of COVID-19 On Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Effects, Aftermath And Forecast To 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 22nd, 2020
- Weight Management Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts To 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 21st, 2020
- Aerobic Vs. Anaerobic: Which Is Better For Weight Loss And Performance? - generationiron.com - October 21st, 2020
- This Weight Loss Method Could Add Years to Your Life, New Study Finds - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss & Weight Management Market 2020 Size, Share, Regional Growth, Trends, Methods, Applications, Equipment vendors, Business Prospects and... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness, Brunswick... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Weight Management Supplements Market by Industry Trends, Statistics, key Companies Growth and Regional Forecast by 2026 - TechnoWeekly - October 21st, 2020
- Global Weight Loss Management Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by Forecast... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market Growth And Threats Analysis 2020 By Regional Overview Of Leading Companies, Types,... - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market to Register Steady Growth During 2017 to 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Forecasts To 2027: Global Industry Growth, Share, Size, Trends And Segmentation Report - Stock Market Vista - October 21st, 2020
- The best time to walk for weight loss - Times of India - October 16th, 2020
- Weight loss: Woman loses 5st and credits belly fat loss to this simple diet - Express - October 16th, 2020
- Weight Management Market at a Rapid Growth Pace Until 2027 With Top Companies to Watch Out in COVID 19: Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness,... - October 16th, 2020
- Pain Management, Weight Loss and Other Benefits of Drinking Less Alcohol - News18 - October 16th, 2020
- Doing This Each Morning Is The Key To Weight Loss - KYR News - October 16th, 2020
- How Weight Management Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And... - October 16th, 2020
- Boehringer Ingelheim and Yale Clinical and Translational Research Accelerator collaborate to explore potential benefits of digital health technologies... - October 16th, 2020
- Livongo to Release Results for the Third Quarter of Fiscal Year 2020 - BioSpace - October 16th, 2020
- Walking At This Time Can Help You Lose More Weight - Yahoo Canada Shine On - October 16th, 2020
- Weight Management Products Market Overview and Scope 2020 to 2025 | FinancialContent Business Page - Financial Content - October 16th, 2020
- Global Mobile Weight Loss Market Report 2020: Digital Solutions Transform the Weight Loss Industry and Chronic Care - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - October 16th, 2020