Of all the stereotypes that still seem to define societal conceptions of normative masculinity, the idea that all men are perpetually, relentlessly horny is among the most pervasive.
But our ideas about horniness are changing from what it means and how to express it on the internet to who does (and does not) embody the true spirit of our current horny moment. Last year, the New York Times declared 2019 the year women got horny, and with womens newfound horniness, men seem to have willingly passed the torch of insatiable libido. Writing for InsideHook earlier this year, Caroline Reilly noted that mens sex drive appeared to be lagging behind womens amid the early, horny days of quarantine, and last month MEL magazine charted the rise of the unhorny man, tracing a growing internet trend that finds men relishing the opportunity to step back from the libidinous demands that have long defined societal expectations of traditional masculinity.
This celebration of anti-horniness in men marks a 180 from the ways in which mens media has traditionally approached low sex drive in men. Historically, media has had a tendency to pathologize low libido, particularly in men, reinforcing gendered expectations of masculinity that characterize a lack of sexual interest or desire as a deficiency or malfunction in need of treatment. Mens magazines have long touted libido-raising hacks and supplements the same way their counterparts in womens media have churned out weight-loss tips, promoting a model of masculinity that privileges sex drive as an integral and coveted aspect of manhood.
But just as womens media has backed away from weight-loss narratives in recent years in favor of more body-positive coverage that doesnt promote thinness and its pursuit as the ultimate goal of female existence, society seems ready to reconsider the dominant model of the relentlessly horny man. As traditional ideas about gender and sexuality continue to shift, so too do gendered notions of sex drive. Women can be horny, yes, and men dont have to be. Moreover, a lower-than-expected sex drive in a man doesnt necessarily signal any kind of underlying condition, nor is it a medical problem in need of treatment in and of itself.
I think many men feel embarrassed by a lower drive because the social narrative describes men as having a higher drive, says Dr. Jenni Skyler, sex therapist and director of The Intimacy Institute for sex and relationship therapy in Boulder, Colorado. However, she adds, this doesnt mean we need to always abide by the social narrative.
Like sexuality itself, sex drive exists on a broad and fluid spectrum, and, as Skyler notes, theres a much wider range of what we might consider normal sex drive in men than traditional attitudes and narratives tend to suggest.
Some men have always had a lower drive, and thats totally fine, Skyler tells InsideHook. Our drive is typically impacted by testosterone, and the normal range varies from 300-1200 ng/dL (nanograms per deciliter). That will mean normal varies by a huge spread.
Clinical psychologist and certified sex therapist Dr. David J. Ley suggests societal demands that hold men to unrealistic, unsustainable expectations of horniness may actually encourage some men who find themselves on the lower end of the sex drive spectrum to align themselves with the asexual community.
Its my opinion that one of the reasons weve seen a significant rise in those who identify as asexual is because people with lower libido are tired of being shamed for not being sexual enough, and the asexual identity offers some escape from the view that low sexual desire is intrinsically unhealthy, Ley tells InsideHook.
While increased awareness and representation of asexuality is far from problematic in and of itself, the idea that some men may feel pressured to identify with a certain sexual identity simply because their libido falls short of stereotypical expectations is a concerning sign that standards of masculinity designed to make men feel inadequate are still alive and well.
Meanwhile, for all the societal messaging equating high sex drive with healthy masculinity, men with a higher libido arent necessarily immune from sex-drive shaming, either a dynamic Ley has taken to calling the Goldilocks libido dilemma.
We condemn as problematic when someones libido is too low, or too high, with this assumption that there is a known, healthy just right range in the middle, says Ley. Unfortunately, theres no such clear confidence of such a healthy range, as it is almost always contextually driven, by religion, relationship and social situations.
That said, there are situations in which a low sex drive may warrant professional treatment. While Skyler maintains there is a wide range of healthy libido for men, a sudden, significant shift in sex drive may be cause for concern.
A problem is often noted if there is a big change from high to low. A noteworthy change should be explored to rule out any health conditions, says Skyler, adding that lower than normal testosterone can signal depression, and may also decrease muscle mass and increase weight gain in men. We need to work within the confines of our biology. So, if low drive means low testosterone, that can certainly impact overall health and needs to be treated.
More importantly, a low sex drive demands professional attention if the owner of said sex drive happens to wish it were higher. Just as theres nothing inherently wrong with having a lower sex drive, theres also nothing wrong with wanting a higher one, and while societys idea of the just right sex drive is an unhealthy myth, the ideal libido does exist its just a matter of personal preference that varies from individual to individual.
Where a person wants to have a higher libido, because for instance they used to, and miss the role that sexuality played in their life, then it is appropriate to consider treatment or intervention, says Ley, while Skyler recommends a man seek help if he feels a low libido is negatively impacting his life be it his relationship, his happiness, or his health.
Like literally any other aspect of a persons life, sex drive varies considerably from person to person, day to day and situation to situation. While society has long fed us a narrative of men as insatiably horny creatures, wanting to chill on the couch with beer and a pizza instead of prowling for a hookup on Tinder or perusing Pornhub doesnt make you less of a man, it just makes you an actual human instead of a cartoon character with a 24/7 hard-on which, if certain TV ads are to be believed, actually is cause for medical intervention.
Subscribe here for our free daily newsletter.
- Kenergy Scientific INC. (KNSC) Has Changed Its Name to MedSmart Group Inc., and Has Done a Reverse Stock Split Effective November 23, 2020 -... - November 25th, 2020
- A Real Guy Offers Advice on How to Beat ED - HealthCentral.com - November 25th, 2020
- Doctor On Call: Should you be concerned about your testosterone levels? - North Coast Courier - November 22nd, 2020
- Sleep deprivation effects: 5 things that happen to your body when you don't get enough sleep - T3 - November 22nd, 2020
- Why it is difficult to lose belly fat after 40 and how to overcome this issue - Times of India - November 18th, 2020
- Lose Weight More Easily With a Bowl of Nettle Soup - Men's health UK - November 18th, 2020
- Key to hormonal health - The New Indian Express - November 18th, 2020
- This quack diet is a waste of money and potentially harmful: Doctors - TimesLIVE - November 18th, 2020
- Ruto: I will defeat the deep state - The Standard - November 18th, 2020
- Outdoors: Appreciating the rut as deer mating season comes to end - Worcester Telegram - November 18th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Love Handles Faster, According to a Fitness Expert - The Manual - November 12th, 2020
- That stubborn acne could be a sign of PCOS: Know how they are related - TheHealthSite - November 12th, 2020
- Can male enhancement drugs make the penis bigger and thicker? - ADOTAS - November 6th, 2020
- The Anabolic Steroids market to go the reverse transversal way in the next decade - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Wellness Wednesday with a sneak peek of Fall-Tastic Showdown - ABC 4 - October 22nd, 2020
- High Testosterone in Premenopausal Women Linked to NASH - Hep Treatment News - October 18th, 2020
- Muscle loss can cause a range of health problems as we age but it can be prevented - The Conversation UK - October 18th, 2020
- Managing the menopause: symptoms, treatments and advice from the experts - harpersbazaar.com - October 18th, 2020
- Help Pennington with soldiers' study (lots of exercise, little sleep and food) and pocket $7,500 - The Advocate - October 13th, 2020
- The Hidden Reason Why You Can't Lose Weight, from an Expert - The Beet - October 13th, 2020
- Testosterone and weight loss: the evidence - October 3rd, 2020
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic September 25 - Medical News Today - September 25th, 2020
- 5 Celebrities Who Got Really Sick After Going on an All-Meat Diet - One Green Planet - September 20th, 2020
- Low testosterone: 12 signs and symptoms - September 16th, 2020
- The keto weight loss diet could help boost sperm count and quality, according to 2 case reports - Insider - INSIDER - September 11th, 2020
- Missed or irregular periods? Here's how to manage PCOS during the pandemic - PINKVILLA - September 11th, 2020
- The One Thing That's Giving Your Competitor The Edge - SwimSwam - September 10th, 2020
- Best Home Remedies For PCOS: Five Kitchen Ingredients to Help Combat Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - India.com - September 8th, 2020
- Whats Really The Best Way To Maintain A Healthy Weight Over 50? - British Vogue - September 6th, 2020
- Bradykinin Hypothesis of COVID-19 Offers Hope for Already-Approved Drugs - BioSpace - September 6th, 2020
- 16 benefits of working out in the morning - Yahoo Lifestyle UK - September 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 treatment and diagnosis research started in unlikely places. As it should have. - NBC News - September 6th, 2020
- 3 Benefits of Testosterone - IMC Grupo - August 15th, 2020
- How long does it take to build muscle? - CNET - August 13th, 2020
- Investigation and management of erythrocytosis - CMAJ - August 12th, 2020
- Maybe its low testosterone? - The Durango Herald - July 30th, 2020
- Prorganiq: A Cure from the Nature - Zee News - July 30th, 2020
- Benefits Of Avocado: Avocado will add energy to the physique of males, this fashion must be consumed - Pledge Times - July 24th, 2020
- Kenergy Scientific, Inc. Announces That It Has Acquired MedSmart Group, Inc. - Yahoo Finance - July 7th, 2020
- How to Fight PCOS with Diet and Nutrition - Scientific American - June 30th, 2020
- Can you still get pregnant if you have PCOS? - The Standard - June 30th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: Applying this seed-based oil to your scalp may promote hair growth - Express - June 30th, 2020
- No fountain of youth: Just because theres a way to boost testosterone doesnt mean you should, experts warn - Steuben Courier - June 23rd, 2020
- Superstar steroid may fight COVID, but has nothing to do with muscles - The Province - June 23rd, 2020
- No fountain of youth: Just because theres a way to boost testosterone doesnt mean you should, experts warn - Jackson County Newspapers - June 19th, 2020
- The Ultimate Guide to CBD And Seniors for Weight Loss - Creative Loafing Tampa - June 16th, 2020
- The Coming Out of a Transgender Scientist - The MIT Press Reader - June 15th, 2020
- Ashwagandha: 8 Reasons To Include It In Your Diet - NDTV Doctor - June 13th, 2020
- Identical twins compared vegan diet with meat-eating and exercise - Insider - INSIDER - June 8th, 2020
- The weird character change that still bothers NCIS fans - Looper - May 31st, 2020
- Does PCOS affect your ability to conceive? - The Indian Express - May 26th, 2020
- Welcome to the table - The Tech - May 22nd, 2020
- Why do women gain weight during menopause? - The Conversation AU - May 6th, 2020
- Tips for men to boost their fertility naturally - Telangana Today - May 4th, 2020
- John Tesh Is Staying Healthy With Exercise and Diet Post-Cancer - Closer Weekly - May 4th, 2020
- Weight Loss Review - A Review of the Acai Berry and Steph Curry's Weight Loss Product - Coin Digital Standard - April 24th, 2020
- Given Alex Rodriguez's history with doping scandals, should he be allowed to own New York Mets? - MEAWW - April 24th, 2020
- Hormonal Imbalance: The Growing Concern Amongst Teenagers - India.com - March 31st, 2020
- What Are the Differences in Addiction Between Men and Women? - South Florida Caribbean News - March 28th, 2020
- ACR Recommendations for Managing Reproductive Health in Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Diseases - Rheumatology Advisor - March 26th, 2020
- How long can you go without food? Survival, effects, and more - Medical News Today - March 23rd, 2020
- A Former Editor of 'Cosmopolitan' On Her Secret to (Almost) Infinite Energy - The Advocate - March 23rd, 2020
- Middle-aged women are turning to bodybuilding and they've got the edge on their younger rivals - ABC News - March 23rd, 2020
- Coconut Oil and Testosterone: Is There a Connection? - Healthline - March 9th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: The essential oil proven to help hair growth with less scalp itching - Express - March 9th, 2020
- In-Vitro Fertilization Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Instrument, By Procedure Type, By End Use, By Region And Segment Forecasts,... - March 6th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about losing your hair as you get older - goodhousekeeping.com - March 6th, 2020
- How high testosterone levels have different health outcomes for men and women - Health24 - March 1st, 2020
- The 10 tips to keep your penis healthy from more sex to exercising it - The Sun - March 1st, 2020
- Doc, why does my brother keep having convulsions? - nation.co.ke - February 26th, 2020
- Mo Farah, Alberto Salazar and L-carnitine Q&A: everything we know - Telegraph.co.uk - February 25th, 2020
- Eggs for Breakfast: Why It Is Important to Eat This Protein-Rich Food in the Morning Meal for Weight Loss - LatestLY - February 25th, 2020
- This Is What Eating a Dozen Eggs a Day Does to Your Body - msnNOW - February 24th, 2020
- Here's What Eating 12 Eggs a Day Did to This Guy's Body - menshealth.com - February 24th, 2020
- What is PCOS? Symptoms and treatments for polycystic ovary syndrome - Insider - INSIDER - February 24th, 2020
- Sasapost (Egypt): you go to gym? These supplements are not as important and useful as you think - The KXAN 36 News - February 24th, 2020
- What is prostate cancer? Signs and symptoms of Bill Turnbulls condition - The Sun - February 24th, 2020
- Cut Mass, Not Muscle: The Basics of a Cutting Diet - Greatist - February 10th, 2020
- What I learned talking to 120 women about their sex lives and desires - The Guardian - February 10th, 2020
- Wh(e)y Protein? - The Indian Express - February 4th, 2020