This dramatic strengthening of cancer defenses was after 14 days of a plant-based diet and exercise; they were out walking 30 to 60 minutes a day. Although Pritikin started out reversing chronic disease through diet alone, laterto his credithe added an exercise component as well. Thats great for hispatients, but scientifically it makes it hard to tease out which is doing what. Maybe the only reason their blood started becoming so effective at suppressing cancer growth was because of the exercise; maybe the diet component had nothing to do with it. So, they put it to the test.
They set up an experiment with three groups. The first group did nothingthe control group; the second did diet and exercise; and the third group was just exercise. The diet and exercise group had been put on a plant-based diet for 14 years, along with moderate exercisejust like walking every day. The second group was just exercise, but they were hardcore. Not just exercise, but 14 years of daily, strenuous, hour-long exercise, like calisthenics. But, they ate the Standard American Diet. In fact, they were actually overweight. Theyd been killing themselves in the gym every day for 14 years, and still, their BMI averaged 26.5; whereas thoseon aplant-strong diet were at ideal body weight.
But lets see whos better at fighting cancer. The researchers wanted to know, if you exercise hard enough, long enough, can you rival some strolling vegans? They took petri dishes brimming full of human cancer cells, and dripped blood from each of the three groups on different dishes to see whose blood was better at suppressing cancer growth. What do you think they found?
Whose blood was better at killing cancer cells? This is a graph measuring cancer cell apoptosis, or programmed cell death; cancer cells programmed to commit suicide. Its one way ourbody gets rid of cancer cells. Basically, our immune system taps them on the shoulder, and says, Look, you know theres only one way this is going to end, dont you? Why dont you take the honorable way out? It will be quicker, easier. If they start the chemo and everythingits going to get messy. Take the easy way out, and just kill yourself, which our immune system is sometimes capable of convincing cancer cells to do.
Heres the blood of the control group. Not very persuasive. Cancers like, Take your programmed cell death and shove it.
And as we saw before, heres the effect of the blood of those in the Pritikin group. After 14 years on a plant-based diet, you can bet their bloodstream was clearing cancer cells left and right.
What about the hardcore exercise group in the middle? Did they clear cancer just as good as the Pritikin group? If thats the case, then it wasnt diet at all, right? The exercise was the critical component. Were they somewhere in the middle, showing that exercise helped, but not as good as the plant-based diet group? Or, were they down there with the control group? Maybe exercise helped with other things, but just not at killing cancer?
What they found was this: exercise helped, no question. But, literally 5,000 hours in the gym was no match for a plant-based diet.Heres an actual photomicrograph of the cells in the control petri dish, stained so that they release light when they die.
As you can see, in the control group, there were a few cancer cells dying. Even if you are a couch potato, eating fried potatoes, your bodys not totally defenseless.
But heres the hardcore, strenuous exercise group. Cancer cells dying left and right.
But nothing appears to kick cancer butt more than a plant-based diet.
To see any graphs, charts, graphics, images, and quotes to which Dr. Greger may be referring, watch the above video. This is just an approximation of the audio contributed byKerry Skinner.
Please considervolunteeringto help out on the site.
See more here:
Is It the Diet, the Exercise, or Both? | NutritionFacts.org
- When to start a diet: 7 reasons why now is a good time from a dietitian - TODAY - May 26th, 2020
- Weight loss: Experts reveal the best time to drink apple cider vinegar - Express - May 26th, 2020
- This Guy Tried the Workout and Diet That Helped Navy SEAL David Goggins Lose 100 Pounds in 3 Months - menshealth.com - May 26th, 2020
- Losing Sleep During COVID-19? Tips on How and When to Exercise - Healthline - May 26th, 2020
- How to live longer - the best breakfast food to prevent early death and boost weight loss - Express - May 26th, 2020
- To Fight Covid-19, Dont Neglect Immunity and Inflammation - The New York Times - May 26th, 2020
- Certain exercises linked to improved blood flow in key brain regions - SlashGear - May 26th, 2020
- How to structure a healthy diet while you're working from home during the coronavirus pandemic, according to n - Business Insider India - May 26th, 2020
- Michael Phelps Eating And Exercise Regime Proves He's Half Man, Half Amazing - Men's Health - May 26th, 2020
- Virus has made healthy eating more costly - just when we need a better diet - Bryan-College Station Eagle - May 26th, 2020
- Pre-Workout Diet: Five Foods To Eat Before You Hit The Treadmill - NDTV Food - May 26th, 2020
- Is it safe for Joe Maddon and Dave Roberts to manage teams? - Los Angeles Times - May 26th, 2020
- 5 Ways to Stay Fit While Maximizing Technology - HealthTechZone - May 26th, 2020
- Women need to exercise as they age, doctor says - Taipei Times - May 26th, 2020
- Fitness: What will gyms look like when they reopen? - Cochrane Times Post - May 26th, 2020
- How to live longer: The best exercise to boost heart health and increase life expectancy - Express - May 26th, 2020
- Yes, You Can Lose Weight Walking as Little as 30 Minutes a Day - but There's a Catch - MSN Money - May 26th, 2020
- 6 benefits of drinking coconut water during pregnancy - TheHealthSite - May 26th, 2020
- World Digestive Health Day Q&A with Dr Megan Rossi and Poo-pourri - ResponseSource - May 26th, 2020
- Obesity in mice prevented by disabling gene - Medical News Today - May 24th, 2020
- Weight loss: 3 things that helped Adele lose 22 kilos, according to her personal trainer - Times of India - May 24th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: if you're struggling to lose weight, this might be why - The Conversation UK - May 24th, 2020
- A Meal With Craig Burton, putting diet facts on the table - The Phuket News - May 24th, 2020
- Diabetic? Tips to keep your blood sugar levels in check amid pandemic - The Indian Express - May 24th, 2020
- Mike Tyson, Vegan for 10 Years, Says "I'm In the Best Shape Ever" - The Beet - May 24th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of TimTheTatman, Who's Intermittent Fasting and Trying to Stay Healthy - GQ - May 24th, 2020
- 15 Tips To Stay Consistent On A Healthy Diet From Nutritionist - NDTV - May 24th, 2020
- Young Indiana wrestlers find ways to stay fit amid pandemic - The Herald Review - May 24th, 2020
- Skincare: Common mistakes we make during the lockdown and different ways to deal with it - PINKVILLA - May 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus diets: What's behind the urge to eat like little kids? - Kiowa County Press - May 24th, 2020
- As obesity's link to COVID-19 grows, one family that lost 24-year-old daughter diets together - USA TODAY - May 24th, 2020
- Overcome the coronavirus meat shortage by adopting one of the world's healthiest diets - CNN - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss: This is the best time to eat to burn belly fat - but expert issues warning - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- 'Once N95 masks are available, should I wear one?' and other coronavirus questions answered by Wisconsin health experts - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - May 22nd, 2020
- This Guy Threw Away Junk Food, Cut Back on TV, and Lost 80 Pounds - menshealth.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Perspective: The Exercise We're Missing Out On - WNIJ and WNIU - May 22nd, 2020
- I'm heading out into this newly opened Wisconsin. What do I need to know? Our experts are here to help. - Marshfield News-Herald - May 22nd, 2020
- High blood pressure - the 25p fruit that could prevent deadly symptoms of hypertension - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Full-body home workouts for weight loss: 4 effective exercises that will help you burn belly fat - Times Now - May 22nd, 2020
- The diet secret that Salma Hayek is prepared before a big event - Play Crazy Game - May 22nd, 2020
- 'I Spent My Early 30s Masking My Eating Disorder with Fad Diets and Over-Exercising' - Yahoo Style - May 22nd, 2020
- Horoscope today: Here are the astrological predictions for May 22 - Mumbai Mirror - May 22nd, 2020
- Associations of Midlife Blood Pressure Responses to Exercise with the Risk of Disease in Later Life - Bel Marra Health - May 22nd, 2020
- Lockdown could be a great time to try the keto diet and this keto meal plan could really help with weight loss - T3 - May 22nd, 2020
- Before you go back out in public, read the immunity checklist - Houston Chronicle - May 22nd, 2020
- Understanding PCOS And Its Patriarchal Standards Of Femininity - Feminism in India - May 22nd, 2020
- Rugby star Sonny Bill Williams talks diet, fasting and training in lockdown - Voxy - May 22nd, 2020
- Why am I so tired? How to deal with exhaustion during pandemic - TODAY - May 22nd, 2020
- What the health? Doctor prescribes tips for wellness in his new book - The Spokesman-Review - May 22nd, 2020
- World Hypertension Day: Managing hypertension during a global health crisis - The Indian Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Take care of your hair with this night routine - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- Adele seen driving to the gym as she keeps up her gruelling exercise regime after seven stone weight loss - The Sun - May 15th, 2020
- The UK Lockdown Diet Report: Brits Struggling As They Pile on the Pounds, Reveals The 1:1 Diet by Cambridge Weight Plan - PR Newswire UK - May 15th, 2020
- Coronavirus diets: What's behind the urge to eat like little kids? - Waco Tribune-Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Love Your Health: Infertility, Diet And Exercise. Is There A Link? - Greeneville Sun - May 15th, 2020
- Greg Bell: The simple health choices that help Utahns fight COVID-19 - Deseret News - May 15th, 2020
- Immunity building: Ensure your diet is full of these essential nutrients - The Indian Express - May 15th, 2020
- Ellie Goulding admits to previous 'unhealthy relationship with food' - Metro.co.uk - May 15th, 2020
- What Happens When You Run a 5K Every Day - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 15th, 2020
- International Day of Families 2020: 5 tips to ensure a healthy, balanced diet for your family - Times Now - May 15th, 2020
- How to live longer - the spice you should add to your shopping list to prevent early death - Express - May 15th, 2020
- Five ways to avoid burnout when your home and work environments become one - HR News - May 15th, 2020
- Febuxostat not effective at delaying progression of carotid atherosclerosis in asymptomatic hyperuricemia - 2 Minute Medicine - May 15th, 2020
- What are the most important nutrients endurance athletes need in their diet? - 220 Triathlon - May 15th, 2020
- Science-backed reasons behind gaining weight even after working out regularly - TheHealthSite - May 15th, 2020
- 5 Things Women Can Do to Reduce Cancer Risk With Actual Evidence to Back Them Up! - SurvivorNet - May 15th, 2020
- What to eat to build your immunity in Corona times - DailyO - May 15th, 2020
- Arthritis treatment: Follow this healthy diet to ease joint pain and stiffness - Express - May 15th, 2020
- Huntington Officials Offer Town Diet To Combat COVID 10 Weight Gain, Keep Residents Healthy - CBS New York - May 10th, 2020
- Sirtfood diet: What you can eat on the diet behind Adeles weight loss - food list - Express - May 10th, 2020
- Does COVID-19 affect the heart? A cardiologist writes - The News Minute - May 10th, 2020
- Mother's Day 2020: Here is apt medical advice to follow if you are pregnant or planning to be a mum - Asianet News English - May 10th, 2020
- High blood pressure: Studies show adding this drink to your diet will lower your reading - Express - May 10th, 2020
- How to lose weight in the last 2 weeks of Ramadan - Gulf News - May 10th, 2020
- WEATHER: Cold Start, Warmer Towards the End of Week - wpdh.com - May 10th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Health: 7 Solutions You Do Not Want To Consider - Guardian Nigeria - May 10th, 2020
- Adele's Weight Loss Plan: Singer slimmed down by following THIS diet and exercise routine - PINKVILLA - May 9th, 2020
- Lockdown diaries: Palred Group boss avoids a sedentary lifestyle, eats healthy, and finds time for HIIT exercises - Economic Times - May 9th, 2020
- How to Maintain Your Diet and Nutrition During COVID-19 - University of Utah Health Care - May 9th, 2020
- The Sirtfood Diet: Everything You Need To Know | Moms.com - Moms - May 9th, 2020