Intermittent fasting, as a specific protocol, is pretty new on the dieting scene, but there's a good chance you've heard of at least someone that's used it successfully.
Even though there are probably more than a hundred different ways to diet, maybe even a thousand, intermittent fasting is a bit different since it includes long periods of fasting or going without food.
While this makes fasting unique, it also means it's not the right idea for everyone.
If you're interested in trying this diet, I'll go over a few pros and cons that you should consider before jumping in.
Everyone wants more self control around fresh made baked goodness.
U.S. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Webster Rison
I know it's ironic, but fasting consistently can help you better deal with hunger.
How often do you feel that you're close to the brink of death when you haven't eaten in a few hours? If you're like most people that eat three meals a day plus snacks in between, missing one of those opportunities can lead to a feeling that end times are near.
When you fast regularly, you're teaching your mind and body to handle an extended time without food.
While it might suck for the first few days, fasting can change how your hunger hormones function and teach you that it's okay if you happen to miss a meal or two.
Those hormones are a constant scapegoat for people who struggle to lose weight.
Think of it like an invisible flak vest. You can use it to make things harder or let it sabotage your performance. Your choice.
U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Garret Smith
Honestly, intermittent fasting isn't a great idea if you train hard or have a high level of aerobic and anaerobic endurance.
Eating food ensures that the energy you have for muscle contraction is plentiful. When you fast for hours on end, your body turns towards stored fat and sugar in your liver to help you survive. But that's not the best option if you need to train hard or perform for a long time.
Sure, fasting might not affect everyone the same, but if you usually eat around training, you'll almost certainly see a dip in performance at first.
Unless you take a long time to adjust to how fasting affects performance (this is a similar protocol to what you would need to do on a keto diet.), you might want to opt for a different protocol if high performance is important to you.
When you squeeze the trigger you better be sure you're gonna hit what you're aiming at. IF can help build your mental toughness, so you don't miss even in the fog of war (simulated or real).
U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Anthony Bryant
In the same light, using fasting strategically can help you develop the mental fortitude necessary to really push yourself when you're fatigued and don't have food available.
Just as you use weights, sprints, and long ruck marches get mentally and physically hard, jumping into challenging workouts when fasted can help you develop the mental toughness to push through when the going gets tough.
Here's how to use your workouts to do some serious mental toughness training.
No food is a stressor. If you already have a lot of other sources of stress, like you would at a selective school like OCS, maybe don't add another.
U.S. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. George Nudo
Again, food not only provides energy for performance but also the fuel your body needs to repair and grow. If you're training hard and fasting every day, you could be missing out on recovery and growth.
You've probably heard of "bulking phases" where you're not only training hard but also eating more than usual. When people bulk, they're eating more food because those calories help support the growth and repair of muscles.
When you fast, eating enough calories becomes a bit difficult because you're spending so much time not eating.
On this diet, you're not only burning through calories for a large portion of the day, but you're making it more challenging to make up for those calories you're burning, like amino acids in the protein you eat.
Since you have less time to eat, you'll be fuller from each meal. As a result, it might be challenging to eat the same amount of calories as you would with a full day of eating opportunities.
Most importantly, if you train hard, need to recover and want to develop muscle, strength, and power, you're better off trying a different diet.
Send it back... or don't. Just make a choice and stick to it.
U.S. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Webster Rison
Don't diet at all. Dieting is temporary.
You want a solution that will last you a lifetime. Try using strategies like Green-light and Red-light rules that I lay out in The Ultimate Composure Nutrition Guide, it's 100% free in my free resources vault.
Or give these a shot!
I highly discourage you from engaging in any diet that makes it harder to live your life. The point of eating food is to make you thrive, not just survive.
If you must, try this detailed protocol on how to cut weight for an upcoming weigh-in.
Maybe you prefer to fast as a part of your lifestyle. I often don't eat until noon, that's technically fasting. General McChrystal is a practitioner of the one meal a day protocol. Just ensure it's something you can do consistently.
If it's painful you won't want to do it indefinitely and that's the crux here. If you are struggling and need to talk to someone about losing fat, or your mind, contact me. I'll give you 30 minutes of my time with no expectation of anything in return. I've seen enough people cause some serious damage to their bodies and minds with dieting. Don't join that club, it's avoidable.
From Your Site Articles
Related Articles Around the Web
See the original post:
Is intermittent fasting the right choice? - We Are The Mighty
- You Can Lose Weight Without Skipping Any Meals - monroviaweekly - May 22nd, 2020
- Arshad Warsi loses 6 kilos in a month with Keto and Intermittent Fasting - Times of India - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss: How to burn belly fat in 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Dont Comment On Anybodys Weight, Even If Theyre Famous - Chatelaine - May 22nd, 2020
- I Finally Care More About Being Strong Than Skinny, and It's Because I'm Working Out at Home - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Lose belly fat in just 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - TheHealthSite - May 22nd, 2020
- My 600-lb Life: Clarence can finally have erection after losing weight, but Dr Now isnt convinced - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- 'Real Housewives of New York' Preview: Ramona tells Sonja to lose weight even after her liquid-only diet stint - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: if you're struggling to lose weight, this might be why - EconoTimes - May 22nd, 2020
- John Barnes reveals fittest and best player from Harry's Heroes - Teamtalk.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Viva Fresh Wellness Reveal a success - The Produce News - May 22nd, 2020
- News - Foundation of Light - May 22nd, 2020
- Dr. Adele reveals the advice he gives to his patients to lose weight - Play Crazy Game - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss in lockdown: Mum and daughter lose 14 stone thanks to Slimming World - North Devon Gazette - May 22nd, 2020
- You Just Need 2 Dumbbells and These 30 Upper-Body Exercises to Get Strong, Sculpted Arms - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Judge rules Lincolnshire woman with severe learning difficulty can have all her teeth removed - Lincolnshire Live - May 22nd, 2020
- Putting the current disruption in context will guide recovery - AdNews - May 22nd, 2020
- How to lose weight: 10 strategies for weight loss that work in lockdown (or out) - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Here Is the Workout Adele Used to Tone Up As She Lost 100 Lbs - The Beet - May 17th, 2020
- Avoid lockdown weight gain: this nutritionist has blacklisted five foods, and you're not gonna like it - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Do you have lockdown body? How to lose weight without going on a diet - Telegraph.co.uk - May 17th, 2020
- Scientists told how to lose weight with the brain - The Times Hub - May 17th, 2020
- Chewing the fat: a year of Weight Watchers, a lifetime of dieting - The Irish Times - May 17th, 2020
- 5 weight loss myths that can prevent you from slimming down during quarantine - TheHealthSite - May 17th, 2020
- How a carer lost six stone and conquered her demons - Cambridgeshire Live - May 17th, 2020
- My Life Was Turned Into a Movie. Heres What Hollywood Left Out. - Slate - May 17th, 2020
- Gemma Collins shows off her weight loss in skinny jeans as she dresses up for a weekend in lockdown - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Blue Meanie Reveals Who Got Him Signed By WWF Losing Weight To Be Blue Boy - Fightful - May 17th, 2020
- Aravinnd Iyer talks about his weight loss plan, life during the lockdown and future projects - Times of India - May 17th, 2020
- Here's How Lady Gaga And Cameron Diaz Played A Role In Adele's Weight Loss - TheThings - May 17th, 2020
- Matcha green tea powder: The Sirtfood superfood behind Adeles 7st weight loss - Express - May 17th, 2020
- Get in shape this summer with Mark Wrights great workouts and meal plans - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Love Island narrator Iain Stirling shocks fans with his huge bulge as he shows off his weight loss - The Scottish Sun - May 17th, 2020
- What is the endomorph diet? Losing weight based on body type - TODAY - May 14th, 2020
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals Her Post-Baby Weight After Losing 'Almost 60 Pounds' - KMOV.com - May 14th, 2020
- Health Beat: What to know before you try keto - WFMZ Allentown - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss story: 'From 105 to 83 kilos, here's how I answered my body-shamers back' - Times of India - May 14th, 2020
- The Yogurt Diet: Weight Loss Fact or Fiction? - Healthline - May 14th, 2020
- Valerie Bertinelli recalls being fat-shamed by her fifth-grade teacher: 'I became really aware of my body' - Home - WSFX - May 14th, 2020
- Why Did Adele Lose Weight? British Singer's Motivation Is Not What Most Fans Think - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss: How to lose weight fast with the cabbage soup diet - Express - May 14th, 2020
- How to Drink Alcohol and Still Lose Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 14th, 2020
- The Key to Weight Loss Through Exercise Could Be Picking The Right Time of Day - ScienceAlert - May 14th, 2020
- Coffee consumption linked to lower body fat in women, study shows - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Founder of the #90DaysWithoutSugar challenge on how his journey inspired others to change their lifestyle for the better - News24 - May 14th, 2020
- I hated my first wedding because I was so fat so I dropped TEN dress sizes and married my man again as a s - The Irish Sun - May 14th, 2020
- Best healthy food delivery services in 2020: Home Chef, Blue Apron, Freshly and more - CNET - May 14th, 2020
- Staying Strong: Mental health becomes a concern as farmers and ranchers face ongoing adversity - Tri-State Livestock News - May 14th, 2020
- The foods that boost - and zap - libido - Yahoo Food - May 14th, 2020
- Tim Robards: 'There's no such thing as bad food' - Who - May 14th, 2020
- Fighting Fat Discrimination, but Still Wanting to Lose Weight - The New York Times - May 13th, 2020
- Chef AJ Lost Over 100 Pounds on a Plant-Based Diet - The Beet - May 13th, 2020
- Study: Want to lose weight? Get rid of that pesky nose - The Big Smoke Australia - May 13th, 2020
- Weight loss tip: This powerful garlic (lehsun) tea will help in losing weight - Times of India - May 13th, 2020
- CC Sabathia suddenly looks jacked after losing a ton of weight - New York Post - May 13th, 2020
- Why cant people like Adele lose weight without trolls having a go despite it being life-saving? - The Sun - May 13th, 2020
- Are Weight-Loss Transformation Success Stories Fat Shaming? - Plant Based News - May 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Eat this healthy snack daily to lose weight - Express - May 13th, 2020
- Packing on pounds during COVID-19 and how to turn it around - goskagit.com - May 13th, 2020
- 'Look at those arms': Mother-in-law's outrageous weight comment to new mum - Essential Baby - May 13th, 2020
- Have you heard of ballerina tea? Heres why it could be a weight loss component - The Indian Express - May 13th, 2020
- I Combined Keto With The 16:8 DietAnd I Lost 105 Pounds And Reversed My Prediabetes - Women's Health - May 13th, 2020
- Are you prepared for the second wave of COVID-19? The Serotonin-Plus Weight Loss Program Has Answers - Yahoo Finance - May 13th, 2020
- The Many Ways Weight and Type 2 Diabetes Are Connected - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 13th, 2020
- Gaining weight during the lockdown? Here are some ways to get back in shape - YourStory - May 13th, 2020
- LaSata: Knowing the signs, symptoms of stroke can save lives - Sturgis Journal - May 13th, 2020
- We Are Missing The Point With "Stay Home, Stay Safe" - 550 KTSA - May 13th, 2020
- Reversing The Course Of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Liver Cancer Risk - Curetoday.com - May 13th, 2020
- Adele lost weight, are we allowed to praise that? - CNN - May 6th, 2020
- What Is The Warrior Diet? Everything To Know About 20:4 Fasting - Women's Health - May 6th, 2020
- what science tells us about losing weight without diet and walking - Explica - May 6th, 2020
- Looking to lose weight? Heres how walking after meals can help - The Indian Express - May 6th, 2020
- My 600-lb Life exclusive: Cynthia's weight loss has stalled and Dr. Now calls her out - Monsters and Critics - May 6th, 2020
- People Think I Was Concerned About My Body Image Eugenie Bouchard - Essentially Sports - May 6th, 2020
- Strenuous physical activities may actually reduce your risk of knee osteoarthritis, say experts - TheHealthSite - May 6th, 2020
- Adele Debut Her Snatch Body On The Gram, Fans Reacts To Viral Photo - Urban Islandz - May 6th, 2020
- You don't need to be productive during a pandemic - Charlotte Agenda - May 6th, 2020
- Coronavirus Northern Ireland live updates as Chief Medical Officer says there will be a future after lockdown - Belfast Live - May 6th, 2020
- Finding Reason: How to Lose Weight Without Exercising While Stuck at Home - Nisqually Valley News - May 4th, 2020
- Losing kilos the healthy way - Borneo Bulletin Online - May 4th, 2020