The medical facts behind one woman's viral warning.
I don't know what it is, but I always read things about not shampooing or using dry shampoo. I think it's because neither idea seems plausible to me, and I can't believe that your hair can look good if it hasn't been washed or if it's been treated with dry shampoo.
One Belfast woman, Nicole Baxter, found out the hard way that dry shampoo can abolutely be severly damaging to the scalp. People were fascinated when she first shared a since-deleted Facebook post about her dry shampoo troubles, which quickly went viral.
Nicole had been a regular user of Bastiste dry shampoo until she noticed red sores, blisters, and a bald patch on her head that kept getting bigger.
RELATED:How Long Should You Leave Purple Shampoo On Dry Hair?
Needless to say, Nicole was extremely alarmed when she saw what was happening with her scalp.
Baxter's original Facebook post read as follows:
"So I went to my GP at the end of last year due to having a bald patch on my head which kept getting bigger. Anyone who knows me knows I don't stress and my diet's alright so there didn't seem any reason for this to happen? My scalp was also very itchy and flaky.
"I had wee red sores and blisters all over my scalp and a terrible burning sensation all over my head to the point where I would wake up several times a night due to the discomfort/pain. She referred me to the dermatology unit in Belfast City Hospital where I had my first appointment in February.
"At this initial appointment I was immediately diagnosed with triangular alopecia (hair loss in one area of the head, usually in a triangle), and was told I'd have to come back to have a scalp biopsy (injection straight into my scalp to numb the area, then a hole punch tool used to remove a part of it, then closed up with stitches) done to see what was causing these blisters and sores I had.
"The doctor asked had I anything on my hair at the minute, I said just dry shampoo. So she advised when I come back for the scalp biopsy to come with nothing in my hair and to make sure it was clean. I thought it was weird she said that; it's only dry shampoo, what's that got to do with it? So I actually stopped using it altogether from that day to see what would happen.
"So today was the day for the scalp biopsy. I've been up to high doe all week at the thought of a NEEDLE GOING INTO MY SCALP. I'd Googled the horror stories and everything terrible idea. It was a different doctor doing the biopsy to the one who had prescribed it in February, so first thing I asked was, 'Why am I getting this done? What benefit can come from it?'
"She looked at my file and said that it was to see what the blisters and sores were and could they diagnose a cause, and straight away I'd realized that I didn't have them anymore (I don't know why I hadn't realized before). So she compared my scalp today to the pictures that were in my file from February and asked what had I done differently in the last 6-7 weeks that may have helped it?
"I told her I'd stopped using dry shampoo and that was it, nothing else different. You'd of thought a light bulb went off in the woman's head. She said it's the best thing I could have of done for myself. If she had been at my initial appointment, she never would have even prescribed the biopsy if I had dry shampoo in my hair that day, and that a biopsy isn't going to have any benefit because it can't do anything for the bald patch. So I left the hospital with my scalp fully intact and a prescription for a bottle of T-Gel!
"Moral of the story: Dry shampoo caused me to now have this bald patch on my head (which I still have and it may or may not grow back, but nothing can be done) and a terrible scalp for ages. Just wash your hair people! It is not worth having this awful patch that I might be stuck with on the side of my head all because I can't be arsed to dry my hair."
RELATED:21 Best Shampoos For An Itchy Scalp
Prior to being deleted, her post had been shared on social media over 30,000 times.
After an influx of messages and comments from various concern trolls, Nicole added this follow-up to her original post:
"In the name of God, never in all my life did I think I'd have to explain my personal hygiene to 23,000+ people!
"I only meant for this to warn my friends that these are the symptoms I had, and after I stopped using dry shampoo most of them cleared up (never imagined it would have 23k+ shares). Then, AN ACTUAL DOCTOR told me it was down to the dry shampoo, not a bunch of people who suddenly gained in-depth knowledge of dermatology and my personal showering schedule."
Obviously, Nicole had a horrible reaction to over-using this particular brand of dry shampoo, and not everybody is going to have that same kind of reaction.
If you're using dry shampoo, it might be a good idea to do a test run to see how you react to it.
And, as frequency of use seems to be an issue, remember that dry shampoo should not be used as a regular replacement for washing your hair. Perhaps use it only when in dire need.
Another lesson we can learn from Nicole is that whenever you put anything out on social media trust me, I know from experience no matter how innocuous you think something is, somebody is always going to find something negative to say to you in response. Be prepared.
RELATED:Can You Use Dry Shampoo On Your Pubic Hair?
Christine Schoenwald is a writer, performer, and teacher. She's had pieces in The Los Angeles Times, Salon, Woman's Day, Purple Clover, Bustle, and is a regular contributor to Ravishly and YourTango. Check out her website or her Facebook page.
- Top Reasons Why Spinach Is One Of The Healthiest Leafy Greens - Doctor NDTV - July 3rd, 2020
- Veteran choreographer Saroj Khan dies of cardiac arrest; here is a brief health explainer - Times of India - July 3rd, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting Part 1: How It Helps You Lose Weight and What are the Different Ways to Do It - News18 - July 3rd, 2020
- Lizzo Shared What She Typically Eats In a Day As a New Vegan - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 3rd, 2020
- Six small things we're looking forward to on Super Saturday - Telegraph.co.uk - July 3rd, 2020
- Stop worrying about bread, nutritionists say the toppings you put on your carbs are more likely to influence - Business Insider India - July 1st, 2020
- The COVID-19 threat is here for the foreseeable future. As cities reopen, protecting passengers on public tran - Business Insider India - July 1st, 2020
- Integrity is everything - The Bookseller - July 1st, 2020
- Wellbeing Wednesdays Podcast: What are the Social Determinants of Health? - The Daily Athenaeum - thedaonline - July 1st, 2020
- This July is Bound to Be a Wiener - The Auto Channel - July 1st, 2020
- Kindness of others inspires woman to lose nine stone in just two years - Mirror Online - July 1st, 2020
- Apple cider vinegar may help with weight loss here's what the research says - Business Insider India - July 1st, 2020
- Weight loss: Woman shrunk from a size 16 to a size 12 in lockdown following this easy diet - Express - June 30th, 2020
- 12 Tips For Fasting Diets - How To Do Intermittent Fasting ... - June 30th, 2020
- What's Chlorella? 10 Health Benefits, How to Use It & More - Greatist - June 30th, 2020
- Fans stunned by UFC legend Frankie Edgars body transformation as he shows off ripped physique with just 1 - talkSPORT.com - June 30th, 2020
- 5 precautions you should take when waxing your pubic hair, according to the doctor behind 'The Vagina Bible' - Business Insider India - June 30th, 2020
- Are you getting enough protein and fibre? - Australian Hospital + Healthcare Bulletin - June 30th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Air Canada cutting 30 domestic routes and closing operations at eight regional airports - The Globe and Mail - June 30th, 2020
- Nutrition for eye health - Washington Daily News - thewashingtondailynews.com - June 30th, 2020
- 'Our Time of Personal Responsibility': In Today's Media Availability, Public Health Officer Talks About California's Case Spike, COVID in Kids and... - June 30th, 2020
- Continuing the fascinating story of Bettys War as husband Harry returns safely - Stoke-on-Trent Live - June 30th, 2020
- La Septima Caf Adapts With Family Meals And A Thriving To-Go Business - Osprey Observer - June 30th, 2020
- Dr Punam Krishan: Here are my tips on how to keep safe in the summer sun summer - Glasgow Times - June 30th, 2020
- This July is Bound to Be a Wiener - PerishableNews - June 30th, 2020
- How the explosive YouTube war between James Charles and Tati Westbrook brought the value of vitamin supplement - Business Insider India - June 30th, 2020
- Bomb squad raid in Bingley linked to toxic diet pill - Bradford Telegraph and Argus - June 30th, 2020
- Study: Women Are Less Attracted to Men Who Have Cats In Their Dating Profile Pics - Mental Floss - June 30th, 2020
- We Need A COVID Reality Check: An MD Shares His 5 Reasons Why - mindbodygreen.com - June 30th, 2020
- How To Safely Celebrate The Fourth Of July With Your Baby - BabyGaga - June 25th, 2020
- Feed higher levels of Irish cereals with XL Grain - Agriland - June 25th, 2020
- Vegetarianism: Tapping Into the Meatless Revolution - Visual Capitalist - June 25th, 2020
- Lotus Flower Plague-Repellent Pills and Other Gifts From China - The New York Times - June 25th, 2020
- Best educational toys for kids aged 1 to 5 - goodtoknow - June 25th, 2020
- Living with stones in my body - The Citizen - June 25th, 2020
- Is it safer to fly or drive? 5 health experts weigh in - IOL - June 21st, 2020
- Plant-based nutrition as an alternative to meat - Food Dive - June 21st, 2020
- The Military Diet: Lose 10 Pounds in Just 1 Week? - June 20th, 2020
- Great white shark diet surprises scientists - News - The University of Sydney - June 20th, 2020
- 30 Healthyish Sips, Snacks, And Sauces To Stock Up On This Summer - Forbes - June 20th, 2020
- Experts on what the health risks of flying on a plane right now are - Insider - INSIDER - June 20th, 2020
- Shock as children find python abandoned in woodland - The Northern Echo - June 20th, 2020
- How to Maximise your Performance, Recovery and Health by Optimising your Gut Health - BOXROX - June 20th, 2020
- Is It Safe to Rent an Airbnb or Vacation Home Right Now? - Yahoo! Voices - June 20th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting and exercise: How to do it safely - Medical News Today - June 11th, 2020
- Lifestyle: Easing back into the real world - Worcester Mag - June 11th, 2020
- How to Be Safe at Work - WTOP - June 11th, 2020
- Kokum could be that miracle food to help you burn those calories - Indulgexpress - June 11th, 2020
- Scientists Surprised When They Examine Stomach Contents of Great White Sharks and Find Out What They Really Eat - SciTechDaily - June 11th, 2020
- Bugatti Chiron Pur Sport: The Drivers Bugatti - SlashGear - June 11th, 2020
- Why I'm choosing to wear a bathing suit at home this summer - Yahoo Lifestyle - June 11th, 2020
- Cognizance into Peripheral Interventions Market and it's growth prospects - Cole of Duty - June 11th, 2020
- Families who eat together have better eating habits - Free Malaysia Today - June 9th, 2020
- 5 reasons to add flaxseed to your diet - Arab News - June 9th, 2020
- Gemma Collins looks unrecognisable in very slim throwback picture as she reveals battle with PCOS made her g - The Sun - June 9th, 2020
- Alternative and Complementary Treatments for Cancer - HealthCentral.com - June 9th, 2020
- It is a national scandal that children will soon be able to go to Thorpe Park, but not to school - Telegraph.co.uk - June 9th, 2020
- World Food Safety Day: 10 tips to eat safely and healthily during the COVID-19 pandemic - Times Now - June 8th, 2020
- Lose your lockdown love handles in 14 days with this easy diet plan - Mirror Online - June 8th, 2020
- Food Not Bombs Marks 40th Anniversary, A Conversation With Local Co-Founder - 90.3 KAZU - June 8th, 2020
- How to Wash Fruits and Vegetables: A Complete Guide - EcoWatch - June 8th, 2020
- Chin up vs pull up: what's the difference, which muscles are worked and most importantly, WHAT IS THE BEST ONE? - T3 - June 8th, 2020
- Bananas with Milk: A Great Combination or Bad Idea? - Healthline - May 30th, 2020
- Most heated debate this week - should you eat peas for breakfast - Hertfordshire Mercury - May 30th, 2020
- RealEats Recognized by Partnership for a Healthier America as Improving Health and Wellness through Its Innovative "Fresh Meal" Product Line... - May 30th, 2020
- Week 9 of Jacqui and Jim Robbins' self-isolation diary for the Adver - Swindon Advertiser - May 30th, 2020
- Richmond inches toward opening its streets Greater Greater Washington - Greater Greater Washington - May 27th, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis | Early Signs, Causes and Treatment - DrugWatch.com - May 27th, 2020
- Peanuts, eggs and your baby: How to introduce food allergens during the coronavirus pandemic - The Conversation CA - May 27th, 2020
- Hospital chief of staff provides guidance on COVID-19 and the Columbia Valley as we open up - Columbia Valley Pioneer - May 27th, 2020
- How to treat insomnia and get better sleep with self-care, therapy, or medication - Insider - INSIDER - May 27th, 2020
- Reviewing all the sponcon beauty products you definitely shouldnt try - Dazed - May 27th, 2020
- 1,200 calorie diet: Safety and how to do it - May 26th, 2020
- The Ketogenic Diet: A Detailed Beginner's Guide to Keto - May 26th, 2020
- Low-carb diet: Can it help you lose weight? - Mayo Clinic - May 26th, 2020
- The Big Gap Of Micronutrients In The Indian Diet - NDTV - May 26th, 2020
- Social Distancing - The Hard Hat of our Time - HeadStuff.org - May 26th, 2020
- Newsletter: What is it like to go through the Aurora COVID-19 testing site? - Kendall County Now - May 26th, 2020
- How The 80/20 Rule Can Save Your Life During The Coronavirus Reopening - Forbes - May 26th, 2020
- These Breathtaking Aerial Photos Capture U.S. Farmland Patterns Like You've Never Seen Before - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 26th, 2020