With international mens day taking place on November 19, Irish men are being urged not to ignore the symptoms of andropause, dubbed the male menopause.
Dr. Deirdre Forde, founder of Ceile Medical in Athlone, Co. Westmeath, said that while the idea of the male menopause may often be dismissed as a myth, it is a very real and serious issue for some men.
She said she has already treated two farmers who were affected by andropause. One was a 52-year-old full-time farmer who suffered from tiredness and found himself becoming intolerant of things and situations that would not normally bother him.
A visit to his GP resulted in him getting his bloods checked and then being told to take a break from the rat race of life. However, the farmer said he felt exasperated when he returned to the farm as jobs hadnt been done.
Exhaustion affected his work, personal and social life and he was no longer a happy-go-lucky individual, he said. A friend suggested he make an appointment with Dr. Forde who prescribed treatment which he had been taking for three months.
While his energy levels had improved, they were still not yet at full throttle, he reported. However, he was sleeping and eating better and felt more motivated. He said he believed that he had a solution that worked for him.
Andropause, Dr. Forde said, is a condition associated with the decrease in the male hormone testosterone. It is unlike menopause in that the decrease in testosterone and the development of symptoms is more gradual than what occurs in women.
Approximately 30% of men in their 50s will experience symptoms of andropause caused by low testosterone levels. A man experiencing andropause may have a number of symptoms related to the condition and could be at risk of other serious conditions such as osteoporosis without proper treatment.
Common symptoms, Dr. Forde said, can range from low sex drive to hot flashes and depression to loss of muscle mass.
A blood test and other tests can be carried out when making the diagnosis but like oestrogen levels in women, it might not tell us much. Its important to bear in mind that many of the symptoms of andropause are also a normal part of ageing and may not be reversible with treatment.
Testosterone is available in a variety of preparations including skin patches; capsules; gels; and injections, Dr. Forde said.
Primary care doctors GPs can prescribe gels but patches and injections are a function of an endocrinologist where a man has severe testosterone deficiency diagnosed with blood tests and may be due to androgen deficiency caused by problems in the brain pituitary and hypothalamus or in the testes, she said.
Dr. Forde began to explore andropause as a clinical entity rather than a myth when her female patients going through menopause often remarked that their husbands or partners had similar symptoms.
It made sense that men were going to have reducing levels of testosterone but at different levels to women, she said. We all know that men can still reproduce right into their 80s whereas womens oestrogen levels just stop and thats the end of their reproductive years.
Their symptoms, she said, are similar. They include: fatigue; sweats; brain fog; and joint pain but those who are overweight and have type 2 diabetes are more prone to low testosterone levels.
Testosterone levels may be normal but the symptoms are there, Dr. Forde said.
Andropause is a serious event in those men who do experience it. It has real physical, emotional and psychological symptoms. Erectile dysfunction is a key part and this has very unsettling effects on those affected.
Dr. Forde said she previously worked with Dr. Emmet Byrne, former professional rugby player for Leinster and Ireland who heads the Vasectomy Ireland clinic in Clane, Co. Kildare, who was recently quoted in the Irish Medical Times as saying that many GPs did not fully understand the benefits of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT).
Men in general tend to be less regular attendees at GP surgeries and less likely to access healthcare with many barriers sited in many publications, Dr. Forde said.
Men living in rural communities are even more likely to fall into this category and so there is a reduced opportunity on behalf of the GP to engage in preventative health including their emotional health and dropping hormone levels.
I believe that partners and spouses can help this process through open conversation and helping them access the information they need, Dr. Forde said.
- The Movember Series: Must make safe spaces for men to talk about their health: Nivendra Uduman - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - November 28th, 2020
- Understanding the andropause. - High50 - November 28th, 2020
- Andropause: Not the same as menopause but needs to be addressed - The Star Online - October 30th, 2020
- Hormonal Imbalance And Anxiety: Expert Explains The Link And Tips To Fight Hormonal Anxiety - NDTV - September 16th, 2020
- The male menopause and mental health | Health - Jamaica Gleaner - September 10th, 2020
- Do you know about Andropause aka male menopause? - The Indian Express - July 25th, 2020
- Why men suffer from Andropause | Health Fitness Gulf News - gulfnews.com - July 25th, 2020
- Dr.Mathabe Explains Why Men Need To Know Their Health Risks - Longevity LIVE - July 3rd, 2020
- How to be fit and have fun after 40 - The Hindu - June 1st, 2020
- Warning Signs of Male Menopause: Are You at Risk? - May 23rd, 2020
- Irritable Male Syndrome: What Sheep And Middle-Aged Men Have In Common - World Atlas - May 12th, 2020
- Revitalize You MD Reveals That Demand for Botox Remains Strong in Georgia - Press Release - Digital Journal - May 6th, 2020
- Andropause: What It Is and How to Treat It | Reader's Digest - March 3rd, 2020
- Men May Be Going Extinct as They Are the Weaker Sex - Gilmore Health News - February 7th, 2020
- Male Menopause: Overview, Symptoms, and Treatment - January 30th, 2020
- Healthy Men: Benefits of male hormone replacement therapy - Duluth News Tribune - January 30th, 2020
- Red Velvet's Joy On How She Relieves Stress, Reveals Her Hopes For 2020 - soompi - January 12th, 2020
- Red Velvet Joy As A Special Guest In "Happy Together + Explains How She Deals With Stress And Shares Wishes For 2020 - Kdramastars - January 10th, 2020
- Yes, middle age-spread is real and dangerous - Ottawa Citizen - December 12th, 2019
- Andropause or male menopause: Causes and symptoms - Times of India - November 25th, 2019
- Quality Of Life And Stigma Among People Living With HIV/AIDS In Iran | HIV - Dove Medical Press - November 16th, 2019
- Male Menopause? Andropause | Chicago Health magazine - October 4th, 2019
- Andropause: A Helpful and Insightful Guide to Male Menopause - October 2nd, 2019
- The 'male menopause' - NHS - June 24th, 2019
- Andropause | Integrative Health Solutions - May 26th, 2019
- Andropause - Dr.Tan & Partners - May 26th, 2019
- The Complete Guide to Andropause + 5 Causes of Low ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | Oriental Health Solutions - April 30th, 2019
- What Are the Symptoms of Andropause? - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | The Journals of Gerontology: Series A ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause - Male Menopause - My Second Spring - April 30th, 2019
- 6 Midlife Crisis Stages by Jim Conway - Andropause ... - March 23rd, 2019
- Andropause | Psychology Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 11th, 2019
- Andropause Symptoms in Men | BioTE Medical - March 7th, 2019
- What Is Andropause and How Can You Treat It ... - February 8th, 2019
- Andropause or Male Menopause: What Causes It? - HealthXchange - February 2nd, 2019
- Andropause - Women's International Pharmacy - September 15th, 2018
- Are You Experiencing Andropause? - PornHub.com - September 11th, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy / Andropause Olympia ... - May 30th, 2018
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health ... - May 27th, 2018
- Andropause - Male Menopause with Low Testosterone Levels - May 25th, 2018
- Midlife Crisis - Andropause Society - Testosterone Deficiency - May 14th, 2018
- Andropause & Testosterone Treatment Singapore | Men's Health - April 26th, 2018
- Top 8 Andropause Natural Treatment Options ... - April 26th, 2018
- Andropause Symptoms | Andropause Symptoms - April 2nd, 2018
- Andropause and Mental health Issues Psychological ... - February 18th, 2018
- Advanced Health and Vitality - February 9th, 2018
- Night Sweats In Men | Help For Night Sweats - January 31st, 2018
- Male Andropause Hormone Testing | ZRT Laboratory - November 18th, 2017
- Is Andropause Real? - Doctor Murray - October 7th, 2017
- Is Menopause Misery a Disease? - South Florida Reporter - September 4th, 2017
- Super kamagra - Super kamagra usa - Forward Florida - August 31st, 2017
- Anatomy and physiology of ageing 8: the reproductive system - Nursing Times - August 29th, 2017
- Do men go through menopause? - Bel Marra Health - August 23rd, 2017
- Kamagra soft tablets - Kamagra soft tabs - Filipino Express - August 20th, 2017
- Viagra super active canada - Best over the counter viagra alternative - The Santa Clara - August 20th, 2017
- Buy kamagra oral jelly sydney australia - Bournville Village - August 8th, 2017
- Risks of taking expired viagra - Viagra and red bull safe - The Maravi Post - August 2nd, 2017
- Jury: AbbVie should pay $150M for Androgel marketing; AbbVie ... - Cook County Record - July 31st, 2017
- AndroGel Testosterone Lawsuit Plaintiff Awarded $150 Million for ... - RX Injury Help (press release) (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Golden Lion Review (UPDATED 2017): Don't Buy Before You Read This! - Diets In Review (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system | www.qgazette ... - Western Queens Gazette - July 8th, 2017
- Dumaguing: Do men undergo menopause? | SunStar - Sun.Star - July 7th, 2017
- Andropause: Male 'Menopause' - Jewish Link of New Jersey - July 6th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system - Western Queens Gazette - July 5th, 2017
- What Are the Signs of Male Menopause? - July 3rd, 2017
- Men, your biological clocks are ticking too - Mumbai Mirror - Mumbai Mirror - June 24th, 2017
- Rawlings suffering from andropause at age 70 - Mallam Issah - GhanaWeb - June 24th, 2017
- Testosterone Support Still Going Strong in Men's Supplements ... - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2017
- The Physical Pain Of Aging Is Not Inevitable - Forbes - June 17th, 2017
- What is Ostarine and Why are Weightlifters Taking It? - The Barbell Spin (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- Bayer levitra professional pro - Cheap levitra professional - Levitra professional overnight delivery - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- Online video poker ratings - Gambling site - Casino games online in usa - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- No download casinos for mac - Best line casino - Best rated us online casino - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Leading American Male Health Clinics Released in New Report - Digital Journal - June 2nd, 2017
- French kiss video - Chatham ontario - Widowed women - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Shim Clinic Providing STD and HIV Testing Facilities at its Centers in Singapore - satPRnews (press release) - June 2nd, 2017
- Boost sex drive: These are the five supplements EVERY man should be taking - Express.co.uk - May 26th, 2017
- Millendo Therapeutics Announces MLE4901 Data Presentations at ... - Business Wire (press release) - May 16th, 2017
- Why Is The Risk Of Getting Cancer Higher Than It Used To Be? - Forbes - May 12th, 2017