Happy New Year; now let's lose weight! Ugh, it seems like so many people assume the two go hand-in-hand. Wanting to lose weight is such a common new year's resolution, and one popular plan to jumpstart weight loss is for people to hop on the Whole30 train. Before you embark on this 30-day plan for the sole purpose of losing weight, we asked dietitians to tell us if Whole30 is the best approach.
If you're unfamiliar with Whole30, for 30 days straight you eat whole, unprocessed food including meat, seafood, eggs, veggies, fruit, and natural fats, and you avoid dairy, added sugar (real or artificial), alcohol, grains, and legumes (which includes peanuts and all forms of soy). You also can't have any baked goods, junk food, or treats made with "approved" Whole30 ingredients, so no vegan "nice cream" or baked sweet potato fries. Oh, and did I mention, if you "cheat" then you have to start back at Day 1?
Whole30 can help with weight loss as it restricts many foods that most of us tend to overeat, such as sugar and refined carbs. You'll also feel full on less overall calories since this plan focuses on eating protein and vegetables. "However, it all comes down to how many calories you're consuming. If you end up eating just as many calories as you currently do, then you may not notice a significant change in weight," said registered dietitian Kelli McGrane, MS, RD, for the food tracking app Lose It!. You may also eat more fat like avocados and nuts, and complex carbs like sweet potatoes and bananas, which could make you gain weight.
If a person does end up losing a few pounds, said registered dietitian Jessica Levings, MS, of Balanced Pantry, "the weight loss is unlikely to be sustained when they go back to their normal eating patterns at the end of the 30 days."
Registered dietitian Jackie Ballou Erdos, MS, RD, CDN, owner of Balancing Act Nutrition, warns that although Whole30 makes a lot of claims with weight loss being one of them and you may feel desperate to make a change, not everyone will experience what Whole30 promises.
"Like many wellness trends these days, Whole30 is marketed as a sustainable, positive lifestyle change; however, it's really a diet in disguise," Jackie said. It asks participants to restrict certain foods, and it labels some foods as "approved" and others as "off-limits." For those people struggling with body image, their relationship with food, or with other disordered eating behaviors such as binge eating, such a restrictive diet could make those issues worse.
That's not to say you shouldn't try Whole30. It can be great for people who want to get started eating more whole, unprocessed foods, or to figure out if certain foods are triggering certain issues like digestive or skin problems. People rave about how good they feel after the 30 days. But it's not the best approach if you're only doing it to lose weight.
We know from research that diets don't work. Although people may lose weight at first, if that way of eating is unsustainable (as most diets are), people will inevitably regain the weight back. This typically begins the vicious restrict-binge, yo-yo dieting cycle.
Jackie shared that literature shows weight cycling losing weight, gaining weight, repeat is actually more harmful to our health than just staying at a higher weight. One research article that reviewed over 30 studies on dieting concluded that dieting is actually a predictor of weight gain.
"I worry people are setting themselves up for restrict-and-binge cycles, weight cycling, and feeling guilty and ashamed and like they failed, when in fact it's diets that fail us; it isn't us who fail on diets," Jackie said.
"Just because something helps you lose weight does not mean that it is healthy in the long run," added registered dietitian nutritionist and NASM-certified personal trainer Whitney English Tabaie, MS. Focusing on eating to change how your body looks can only make you feel bad about yourself and lead to harmful eating habits. So skip the dieting-for-weight-loss mentality! She added, "for optimal health, you should focus on a long-term sustainable way of eating, which emphasizes whole, healthy plant foods," and that makes you feel energized, happy, confident, and healthy.
- Man's selfless decision to re-home loved pet - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 27th, 2020
- RTEs Operation Transformation sees tears, pride and proposal in emotional finale as leaders celebrate weight - The Irish Sun - February 27th, 2020
- Strength Training is a Healthy Hearts BFF - BELatina - February 24th, 2020
- The dark side of slimming teas | The New Times | Rwanda - The New Times - February 24th, 2020
- Greta Thunberg's mother speaks out on daughter's autism and past eating disorder: 'She was slowly disappearing' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 24th, 2020
- Record two million people at risk of developing type 2 diabetes - expressandstar.com - February 24th, 2020
- She learned to love eating -- and herself -- despite a lifetime of fat shaming - CNN - February 24th, 2020
- Aging parents: 8 warning signs of health problems | Journey - Wyoming Tribune - February 24th, 2020
- Influencer's advice to give up drinking water is 'warped' - Stuff.co.nz - February 24th, 2020
- Skipton station worker on mission to lose 10 stone - Bradford Telegraph and Argus - February 24th, 2020
- How to do the metabolism diet from Save Money: Lose Weight detox your body in 4 weeks! - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - February 21st, 2020
- Want to lose more weight? Intensive therapy from dietitians can help older adults, study finds - CNN - February 21st, 2020
- Weight loss diet plan: The one food you should eat more of to help burn belly fat fast - Express - February 21st, 2020
- Walking Your Way to Weight Loss? Here's How Many Minutes You Should Log on the Treadmill - msnNOW - February 21st, 2020
- 'I Started Eating 90 Percent Keto And Doing Tae BoAnd I Lost 6 Lbs. In The First Week Alone' - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 21st, 2020
- 15 Celeb Weight-Loss Transformations That Will Inspire The Sh*t Out Of You - Pulse Ghana - February 21st, 2020
- Real Women Share The Most Important Factors That Helped Them Lose Weight - Women's Health - February 21st, 2020
- Can I get pregnant with PCOS? Yes, but there are risks - Business Insider Australia - February 21st, 2020
- Syracuse woman is devoted to making the world a better place through roller skating - syracuse.com - February 21st, 2020
- FOOTBALL: Play the game and lose weight - Spalding Today - February 21st, 2020
- What is PCOS? Symptoms and treatments for polycystic ovary syndrome - Business Insider Australia - February 21st, 2020
- How Fittr cracked the fitness code and grew into a Rs 100 crore business - The News Minute - February 21st, 2020
- Yoga to reduce belly fat Part 1: 4 asanas that will stretch and contract your core muscles - Firstpost - February 21st, 2020
- Jessa Duggar's Followers Are Shocked That Her Husband, Ben Seewald, Majorly Changed His Look - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 21st, 2020
- Is it easier to burn off a big breakfast than a big dinner? - NHS Website - February 20th, 2020
- When the time is right to lose weight - News & Star - February 20th, 2020
- How to Choose a Diet and Stick with It - ZME Science - February 20th, 2020
- What Is Muscle Confusion and Can It Help You Lose Weight? - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 20th, 2020
- How This Reader Lost 5 Stone and Built a Midlife Six-Pack - Men's health UK - February 20th, 2020
- Woman who used food to fill a void after losing twins starts weight loss journey so she can have IVF - Daily Post - February 20th, 2020
- It's Mother's Time to Shine - Jezebel - February 20th, 2020
- Reducing premature death from heart disease requires a broad approach - The Spokesman-Review - February 20th, 2020
- Could super-agers slim down the vast amount the NHS spends on obesity? - Telegraph.co.uk - February 20th, 2020
- Everything you need to know before doing intermittent fasting while pregnant - Health24 - February 20th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast and Transform your Body - BOXROX - February 20th, 2020
- The Great Buenos Aires Bank Heist - GQ - February 20th, 2020
- How to do intermittent fasting safely - CNET - February 19th, 2020
- Polar Bears Losing Weight, Having Fewer Cubs Due to Retreating Sea-Ice - The Weather Channel - February 19th, 2020
- The 5 food tweaks to slash hundreds of calories from your diet and boost weight loss - The Sun - February 19th, 2020
- How to lose weight the healthy way without giving up on carbs - GQ India - February 19th, 2020
- 'I Do Keto, Intermittent Fasting, And Tae Bo WorkoutsAnd I've Lost 135 Pounds' - Women's Health - February 19th, 2020
- Sivakov pays the price for losing weight too quickly - Cyclingnews.com - February 19th, 2020
- Points for losing weight and winning games in new Lincoln football league - The Lincolnite - February 19th, 2020
- How to lose weight and keep it off - Better Homes and Gardens - February 19th, 2020
- Proof of Weight Loss Surgery Benefits Continues to Grow with Breathing Study, says Beverly Hills Physicians - Benzinga - February 19th, 2020
- This SAS workout will make your body and mind stronger - T3 - February 19th, 2020
- DNA tests may soon reveal the optimal diet for your body down to the variety of lettuce you should be eating - MarketWatch - February 19th, 2020
- Andy Ruiz Jr. back to basics on the football field, drops weight for return - WBN - World Boxing News - February 19th, 2020
- Rakul Preet Singh refuses to put on weight for role: Wont do anything that harms my health - Hindustan Times - February 19th, 2020
- Westmeath mother of seven shares secret to incredible 9st weight loss - RSVP Live - February 19th, 2020
- Dr. Mitch Shulman: Heart disease in women not the same as in men - The Suburban Newspaper - February 19th, 2020
- Worried about your ageing parents? Here are 8 health signs to look out for - The Star Online - February 19th, 2020
- Stanford scientist: 12 tiny habits that will instantly make you more productive - CNBC - February 19th, 2020
- Aging parents: 8 warning signs of health problems | Health | gmtoday.com - Greater Milwaukee Today - February 19th, 2020
- Adele diet: Is this the food the Hello singer eats to maintain seven stone weight loss? - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge weight loss how Lose Weight and Get Fit star shed 12st - The Sun - February 15th, 2020
- Olly Murs weight loss: Star used easy trick to shed 1st and blast belly fat in 12 weeks - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Honey Boo Boo Weight Loss: Did The Star Pull It Off? - Daily Hawker - February 15th, 2020
- How Mickey Jogoleff Lost 80 Pounds While Working Out Less and Eating More Carbs - BarBend - February 15th, 2020
- Breastfeeding girls mustn't eat these items, it might not hurt your child - Sahiwal Tv - February 15th, 2020
- Reduce weight the Ayurveda means - Health Writeups - February 15th, 2020
- Mum loses the equivalent of another 'person' in weight and reverses her diabetes - Bristol Post - February 15th, 2020
- The Healthiest Place on Earth - Thrive Global - February 15th, 2020
- Family fight to reunite with son left 5,000 miles away in Pakistan orphanage - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Outdoors: Keeping warm during the second month - Fall River Herald News - February 15th, 2020
- Scientific BREAKTHROUGH: DNA discovery finds some in 60s have genetic age of 20-YEAR-OLD - Express.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Healthcare boost addresses ageing population in Sri Lanka - Indian NewsLink - February 15th, 2020
- Yep, Its TrueStaying Positive Can Actually Help You Maintain Weight Loss - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast - Quick & Easy Weight Loss Tips - February 15th, 2020
- Jessica Simpson's Nutritionist Shares the Diet That Helped Her Lose 100 Pounds - NewBeauty Magazine - February 15th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week Here's Why - POPSUGAR - February 15th, 2020
- How Did Adele Lose Weight? Secrets To The Singer's Stunning Transformation - YourTango - February 15th, 2020
- NBA Rumors: Zion Williamson Longevity Comes First, Losing Weight Strongly Urged - International Business Times - February 15th, 2020
- The Biggest Loser didn't work then and it won't work now - The Aggie - February 15th, 2020
- 8 warning signs of health problems and how you can help aging parents - Cape Cod Times - February 15th, 2020
- New smoothie bar offers healthy option in Waunakee - hngnews.com - February 15th, 2020
- Frankie Bridge feared husband happier without her during depression - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- WARMC rocking the red to bring attention to Heart Month - Mohave Valley News - February 15th, 2020
- Audrey named Slimming World Woman of the Year and given the all-clear from cancer - Daily Record - February 15th, 2020
- Weight loss tips: How to lose weight & get fit by running daily, according to this guy who lost 13 kg - GQ India - February 15th, 2020