A few months ago, my best friend patiently explained to me over the phone that my leggings and sweatpants had not, in fact, shrunk. She had no proof, but in her words: Alli, thats not a thing.
Sometimes best friends are the only ones who can impart hard truths, even when evidence is staring me straight in the face or, in this case, squeezing just a little too tightly.
Throughout 2020, Ive continued to exercise consistently. But smaller, daily movements like walking through parking lots, going in and out of my office and perusing stores have ceased. On top of this, my refrigerator is conveniently within sight of my new desk (i.e., the kitchen table). Cooking and cocktails are an especially engrossing and comforting pandemic hobby.
Slowly but surely, Ive accrued extra fat.
I say that bluntly because thats what it is, and I think its OK. Especially in Alaskas coldest months, Im not anti-fat. What I dont want is for fat to slowly and mindlessly build over the years. So, like many at the start of a new year, Im taking steps to shed some flub.
There are a million articles on weight loss out there, and I dont fancy myself an expert. Still, Alaskas a unique place where advice from the Lower 48 isnt always especially useful. For those looking for a reset in 2021, here are my go-to hacks.
When I was a teenager, I tried shrinking. I grew up asthmatic and overweight, feeling that I stood out awkwardly among my peers. I thought if I could scale myself back, Id fit in better.
I counted calories and started exercising. This identity consumed me for a while, but eventually I got sick of that. I lacked energy and inspiration.
Slowly, I moved into more. Running, hiking, backpacking, swimming and bicycling became new pursuits. Ultimately this translated into both a fitter, leaner me and a more expansive, engaged person.
Now, I try to learn from that younger self. Instead of focusing on weight loss, I focus on aspiration. Is there a race I want to train for and complete? Is there a big peak I want to summit, and how will I work up to that? Do I want to become a faster runner? Am I simply seeking a more consistent feeling of fitness, and if so how will I know when I get there? Is it going for hikes feeling strong and full of energy? Is it running long distances smoothly?
This aspiration is paired with my optimal number on a scale, but the why behind my number is the real motivator. This aspiration serves as a touchstone to keep going when I have a setback or feel unmotivated.
Dont try to fool anyone
My mind is a powerful and, at times, devious little creature. I am the queen of coming up with elaborate rationales for why I should take a rest day or consume the rest of the ice cream.
My brain whispers something like: Ill be better-rested for my workout tomorrow if I dont work out today. Or: the wind was blowing hard during that hike surely I burned 500 more calories than I accounted for, and its important to stay fueled.
If this sounds familiar, then congratulations. Welcome to the club where willpower is easily manipulated by laziness and desire.
I think thats part of what it is to be human. Still, I know in my heart of hearts what sabotages versus what supports my effort.
For me, running after dinner is a no-go. Despite much advice out there to the contrary, running empty is my best mode (both for performance and weight loss although for longer runs I do bring food). Sugar is addictive and difficult to moderate; if I must consume it, I try to eat it early or while active.
And, sadly, although it is cold outside and I know staying warm burns calories, Im not exactly in survival mode in my cozy, warm home. I dont need to consume extra cookies when safely back on my couch in order to live.
When I follow my own best advice, I tend to do well. When I come up with elaborate schemes to ignore it, I falter.
This one is the hardest for me. Im a slow and low girl. But I also have hypothyroidism (read: my metabolism is low; Ive taken medication for it every day since I was 13). I have a heck of a time naturally losing weight, which is why its infuriating to watch my husband. He decides to run an extra mile and eat an extra egg, and he instantly loses a belt notch.
Still, I know that when I add strength exercises and speed workouts to my routine, it noticeably fires up my fat loss. I dont have to skip my favored slow and low type exercises, like biking, running and walking. But at least two strength training workouts and one speed session a week kicks my body into a higher gear.
After weeks of these kinds of workouts, I feel an increased sense of strength and litheness. And this sense is what Im after, and what I suspect many of us crave going into this new year.
After 2020, we deserve to feel strong and ready for anything. My mind and heart are on their way there, and I intend to bring my body along as well.
Alli Harvey lives in Palmer and plays in Southcentral Alaska.
- 7-day diet plan for weight loss: Here is what to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner to lose fat - Times Now - January 15th, 2021
- Tips for that post-holiday diet and how to lose weight after the holidays - ABC 4 - January 15th, 2021
- Five ways you lose all that holiday weight - Yahoo Canada Shine On - January 15th, 2021
- Sherri Shepherd and HealthyWage Partner to Pay $10,000 to Dieters Achieving Weight Loss Goal - Black Enterprise - January 15th, 2021
- This Tea May Help You Lose Weight While Sleeping - Researchers Reveal - NDTV Food - January 15th, 2021
- Local dieticians give advice on how to lose weight and keep it off - 69News WFMZ-TV - January 15th, 2021
- Americans blame mindless eating and weight gain on doom-scrolling and boredom - Yahoo Entertainment - January 15th, 2021
- If Youre Planning On Losing Weight In 2021, Think Before You Tell Me About It - Refinery29 - January 15th, 2021
- Weight loss transformation of Bollywood celebrities that left us stunned - Yahoo Finance UK - January 15th, 2021
- 21 Ways to Get a Flat Belly After 40, According to Experts | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - January 15th, 2021
- If You Want To Keep Your New Years Resolution, Stop Doing These 3 Things - CBS Denver - January 15th, 2021
- Genes and diet can play a role in developing Type 2 diabetes - Norton Healthcare - January 15th, 2021
- Is jogging good for weight loss? Here are 5 cardio exercises that will keep your weight in check - Times Now - January 15th, 2021
- Add more of this vitamin in your diet to lose weight in winter - Times of India - January 3rd, 2021
- Green tea may help you lose weight by boosting your metabolism, powering your workout, and more - Insider - INSIDER - January 3rd, 2021
- Weight loss: How to lose weight fast - top fat burning snacks - Express - January 3rd, 2021
- 'I Counted Calories And Did Resistance Training To Lose 60 PoundsAnd I've Kept It Off For 3 Years' - Women's Health - January 3rd, 2021
- Lose weight and enjoy food in 2021 with exclusive recipes from cookery sensations Pinch of Nom - The Sun - January 3rd, 2021
- 'I had a son I needed to be around for': Edmonton father develops own weight loss app - Edmonton Journal - January 3rd, 2021
- 'Why I will never resolve to lose weight again' - 9Honey - January 3rd, 2021
- Weight loss: "I replaced refined oils with cold-pressed oils" - Times of India - January 3rd, 2021
- Jerry Brewer: Tallying up a year of loss - A lot of pounds, too many loved ones, countless connections - The Spokesman-Review - January 3rd, 2021
- 6 foods that boost your metabolism and may help you lose weight - Yahoo News - January 3rd, 2021
- 'At 180kgs, I decided to quit dieting. Quit trying to lose weight. Hopefully forever.' - Mamamia - January 3rd, 2021
- Eastern Panhandle health officials offer new years resolution advice - Martinsburg Journal - January 3rd, 2021
- 10 New Year's resolutions that are better than "losing quarantine weight" - The Know - January 3rd, 2021
- Soft Belly Fat vs Hard Belly Fat: Which is more difficult to lose and why? - TheHealthSite - January 3rd, 2021
- Six reasons why you are not losing weight - The Standard - December 17th, 2020
- 7 ways to stay motivated on your weight loss journey, according to a dietitian - Insider - INSIDER - December 17th, 2020
- Want to lose weight fast? Add these Ayurvedic herbs to your diet - TheHealthSite - December 17th, 2020
- Weight loss: I followed 16 hours of daily fasting and walked every day - Times of India - December 17th, 2020
- 7 reasons to stop complimenting others on weight loss - KSL.com - December 17th, 2020
- New Survey Finds 71 Million Americans Have Gained Weight Throughout the Pandemic - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Weight loss: Biggest celebrity weight loss stories of 2020 - Times of India - December 17th, 2020
- New survey finds 71 million Americans have gained weight during the COVID-19 pandemic - Boston Herald - December 17th, 2020
- Still carrying extra lockdown weight? Here's five great offers to help... - Cambridge Independent - December 17th, 2020
- 71 Million Americans Have Gained Weight Throughout the Pandemic - Essence - December 17th, 2020
- In 2021, say goodbye to restrictive diets and hello to Noom - CNN - December 17th, 2020
- Marvel Star Chris Pratt Admitted He Had Body Image Issues Before Losing Weight for 'Guardians of the Galaxy' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 17th, 2020
- Fennel Seeds for Gas and Bloating: We Take a Long, Hard Sniff - Greatist - December 17th, 2020
- Walking vs. running: Weight loss, heart health, and more - Medical News Today - December 10th, 2020
- Lose The Weight With Sonya Jones - thejournal-news.net - December 10th, 2020
- 'Pressured to lose weight', Sport News & Top Stories - The Straits Times - December 10th, 2020
- Eat well to stay well is the favourite recipe to your weight loss success - Belfast Telegraph - December 10th, 2020
- Ghislaine Maxwell Losing Weight and Hair in Prison on Jeffrey Epstein Charges: Lawyer - Newsweek - December 10th, 2020
- Lorry driver so overweight he had to be carried by forklift loses half his body weight - Wales Online - December 10th, 2020
- Why 'Little House on the Prairie' Star Melissa Sue Anderson Was Told to Lose Weight When She Was Cast as Mary Ingalls - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 10th, 2020
- How to Safely Exercise in the Dark - msnNOW - December 10th, 2020
- Ability to lose weight is not affected by age - Medical News Today - December 9th, 2020
- Lose Weight and Stay Sane This Season! The Energy Balance Equation - The Great Courses Daily News - December 9th, 2020
- 4 Simple Lifestyle Changes You Can Make To Lose Weight By The Holidays - SheFinds - December 9th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting: The Beginners Guide to Time-Restricted Eating, 5:2 Diets, and Other Forms of Intermittent Fasting - GQ - December 9th, 2020
- What are probiotic foods and how they help lose weight and belly fat - Times of India - December 9th, 2020
- Weight loss: Reset these hormones to lose stubborn belly fat - TheHealthSite - December 9th, 2020
- Weight Loss: All The Reasons Why You Should Be Eating Eggs In Winter - NDTV - December 9th, 2020
- Losing weight and raising pounds for the East Cheshire Hospice - In Your Area - December 9th, 2020
- How To Lose Weight In Unprecedented Times With Nico Dandini, Fitness Professional And Coach At Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning - Yahoo Finance - December 9th, 2020
- It's never too late to ramp up your retirement savingshere's how to get started later in life - MarketWatch - December 9th, 2020
- Did Aamir Khan drop Vijay Sethupati from Laal Singh Chaddha for not losing weight, here's the truth - IBTimes India - December 9th, 2020
- Peloton star Tunde Oyeneyin shares her tips for self-care and staying disciplined: 'Focus on what you want to gain' - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 9th, 2020
- 7 common reasons why you're not losing weight and tips to help you shed stubborn pounds - Insider - INSIDER - December 8th, 2020
- Here's Everything You Need to Know About Losing Weight by Walking - News18 - December 8th, 2020
- Reverse Dieting: Can it Actually Help You Lose Weight? - News18 - December 8th, 2020
- Try this healthy way to lose weight - Times of India - December 8th, 2020
- Important Things to Consider When Choosing a Weight Loss Plan - ABCmoney.co.uk - December 8th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I started having jeera water, chia seeds water, green tea and black coffee - Times of India - December 8th, 2020
- One item to add to your wellness tool kit this holiday season! - 100 Mile House Free Press - December 8th, 2020
- Gen Z teens dieting and worrying about weight 'more than previous generations' - Wales Online - December 8th, 2020
- Peloton star Tunde Oyeneyin shares her tips for self-care and staying disciplined: 'Focus on what you want to gain' - Yahoo Canada Shine On - December 8th, 2020
- TikTok investigating videos promoting starvation and anorexia - The Guardian - December 8th, 2020
- Gaining weight can be difficult but here are the safest ways to do it - The Conversation UK - November 27th, 2020
- 7 Low-Carb Diet Foods That Can Help You Lose Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 27th, 2020
- Health tips for men: Lifestyle changes that will help you lose weight and improve your overall health - fingerlakes1.com - November 27th, 2020
- Age No Barrier to Weight Loss in Those With Morbid Obesity - Medscape - November 27th, 2020
- Age Doesn't Matter When It Comes to Losing Weight, Study - Science Times - November 27th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I have a hot cup of amla jeera water every morning - Times of India - November 27th, 2020
- Weight loss: "My IT career made me pile on 25 kilos! Here is how I lost it and became a bodybuilder" - Times of India - November 27th, 2020
- 3 inspiring tips that helped this woman lose 95 kilograms - 7NEWS.com.au - November 27th, 2020
- Jeff Dana of Prolean Wellness will show you how to lose weight during the holidays - Yahoo News - November 27th, 2020
- 5 Smoothie Rules You Must Follow to Lose Weight - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - November 27th, 2020