The age-old New Year's resolution to lose weight is familiar to many after the festive period, but for one Blackpool woman it was a decision that changed her future.
After the frivolities of Christmas, one too many mince pies and sherries with loved ones can lead to the inevitable New Year's resolution: "I want to lose weight, let's start on January 1."
But for Natalie Meadows, 39, from South Shore, losing weight meant she was able to "completely save her life."
In 2003, Natalie was diagnosed with a rare disease called Synovial Osteochondromatosis - or SOC - which affects the joint-lining tissue and turns it into bone-forming cartilage.
The disease caused non-cancerous tumours to form in her knee, which forced her to give up her job at Co-op opticians in Asda, Cherry Tree Road, Blackpool and undergo knee replacement surgery.
Natalie said: "Before my knee replacement I had so many different types of surgeries, at hospitals all over the country, and nothing seemed to help my pain.
"I was completely immobile, and spent four years permanently in a wheelchair.
"The pain was unbearable, and I couldn't move around anymore so wasn't able to keep a healthy weight.
"I was so unhappy, and I just hid myself away because I didn't want anybody to see me like that, and I certainly didn't have the confidence to go out on my own."
Despite living with a loving husband and two children, Natalie became depressed as she was "stuck" in her wheelchair and could not join in with family conversations discussing their days.
Nobody really knew how to control or treat her condition, and after her knee replacement, the pain became so unbearable for her that she even scheduled an amputation.
But she knew that an amputation may still cause "phantom limb pain", a condition that refers to sensations of pain at the site of an amputated limb, and desperately looked for answers to ease her pain.
At a pre-amputation appointment with a rehabilitation doctor, Natalie was shocked when they diagnosed her with another disease- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.
CRPS is a chronic pain condition, usually affecting one limb and causes the sufferer to experience severely painful sensations.
Between 2003 and 2016, Natalie underwent various different treatment types, including spinal cord simulation, travelling around the country in severe pain to try to alleviate her symptoms.
She said she felt like it was hopeless, and she would be in constant pain forever, exacerbated by being overweight.
In December 2015, weighing 14 stone 6 pounds, she decided that in order to make more treatment available to her she had to lose weight.
She said: "I joined Slimming World, and finally found somewhere I could be motivated to make a better life for myself.
"I was absolutely terrified. I'd tried going to support groups, but I found them to be really sad places, full of sad people.
"Slimming World was full of support and love, it felt like I was with family there, and I'd tried every diet going before that.
"The support from the people around me led me to finally start losing weight, and eventually I was finally able to get out of my wheelchair."
In 2016, Natalie was offered a form of treatment called plasma exchange therapy, which is currently unavailable on the NHS, and only at a handful of hospitals in the UK.
Therapeutic plasma exchange involves removing plasma from the patient's blood and replacing it with fresh donor plasma, in an effort to alleviate pain and build up a stronger immune system.
Natalie said: "I started receiving this treatment at Royal Liverpool hospital, and spent three weeks with a central line in my neck.
"I had to go in for three weeks at a time because of my weight, because a bigger body meant more blood was needed and I was hooked up to drips constantly.
"The treatment itself was dangerous, because my veins could have collapsed at any minute- that was all the motivation I needed to carry on losing weight.
The treatment drained me so much, but it took my pain from a 10 to a six, and that made the world of difference."
After beginning to successfully shed the pounds, and in stark contrast to her previous life as an unemployed mum with no confidence to leave the house, Natalie decided to apply for a job as a Slimming World consultant.
But tragically, shortly before her interview, her beloved mother died after a serious heart attack, leaving Natalie heartbroken.
She said: "My mum was very overweight, and had diabetes because of that too.
"She had a heart attack and we lost her before I could tell her I had an interview.
"I'm still absolutely devastated that I never got to tell her about it. I had my interview just before her funeral, and I know she would be so unbelievably proud of me."
Natalie said the nature of her mum's tragic passing made her all the more determined to reach a healthy weight and help others achieve their weight-loss goals.
After her successful interview, in March 2019 she also became Team Developer, leading eight other Slimming World consultants in Blackpool, and running four of her own groups including the original one she attended at South Shore tennis club.
She has successfully lost three stone in weight, and although she will never be pain-free, the endless treatment for her CRPS is "more bearable."
She said: "Losing weight has completely saved my life, I have the support of everyone in my group to thank for that.
"I had no confidence, I didn't want to leave the house, I couldn't join in with anything my family were doing and I did nothing with my life for years.
"I would advise anyone in the position I was in to find their own circle.
"To make a change in your life for the better, you need the right kind of support from people who understand what you're going through, and I'll be forever grateful that I found that."
- Weight Loss Transformation Heather Gomez Run to Lose Weight - runnersworld.com - September 25th, 2020
- 7 Benefits of Exercise (Other Than Weight-Loss) Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - September 25th, 2020
- Eating Healthy Is More Important Than Weight Loss for Heart Health - Healthline - September 25th, 2020
- HIIT along with rowing and cycling can help type 2 d..etes patients lose weight, improve insulin sensitivity - Firstpost - September 25th, 2020
- 14 Simple And Effective Tips To Lose Weight After Pregnancy - Yahoo India News - September 25th, 2020
- The 3 Most Common Things People Get Wrong About Weight Loss, and How to Avoid Them - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 25th, 2020
- Why its hard to lose weight when you have PCOS - All4Women - September 25th, 2020
- Weight loss customized for the one-and-only YOU - KING5.com - September 25th, 2020
- What is diabetes? A comprehensive guide to lower blood sugar and manage the condition - Insider - INSIDER - September 25th, 2020
- RHONJs Margaret Josephs shows off amazing weight loss in skintight white lace dress at the beach with h - The Sun - September 25th, 2020
- World's most obese man shed nearly 400 kilos, went on to beat Covid-19 - Mexico News Daily - September 25th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson shows off 40-pound weight loss in a skintight gown on Monte Carlo getaway with boyfriend Jacob - The Irish Sun - September 25th, 2020
- Stroud chef: from 26 stone to Cotswold 113 half Ironman - Stroud News and Journal - September 25th, 2020
- Having a Seizure Inspired Rick Ross' Weight Loss Transformation - menshealth.com - September 20th, 2020
- Lockdown weight loss story: I lost 14 kilos in just 2.5 months with my husbands support! - Times of India - September 20th, 2020
- Keto Diet For Weight Loss: 5 Side Effects That Signal You Need To Quit This Diet Instantly - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- Carbs Or Calories: What Should You Focus On For Weight Loss? Experts Reveal - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- How Long Does It Really Take to Lose Belly Fluff? - Greatist - September 20th, 2020
- Phil Mickelson reveals the 2 secrets behind his weight loss transformation - Golf.com - September 20th, 2020
- Kelly Clarkson Once Got Candid about Weight-Loss Tips Photos before & after Her Transformation - AmoMama - September 20th, 2020
- 5 lifestyle habits that are increasing your numbers on the weighing scale - TheHealthSite - September 20th, 2020
- 'I Did An F45 Training Challenge Ahead Of My Wedding And Got In The Best Shape Of My Life' - Women's Health - September 20th, 2020
- Holly Madison, 'Girls Next Door' Star, Shows off Dramatic Transformation 4 Years After Giving Birth to Second Child - PopCulture.com - September 20th, 2020
- Which Aids Better In Weight Loss- Fish Or Chicken? Expert Reveals - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- 22 effective tips to lose belly fat, according to experts - Netdoctor - September 20th, 2020
- 5 Metabolism boosting teas to aid you in shedding extra pounds - PINKVILLA - September 20th, 2020
- Coping with an eating disorder during the COVID-19 pandemic - KENS5.com - September 20th, 2020
- Mama Junes daughter Pumpkin, 20, shows off slimmer waist in crop top after vowing to lose weight - The Sun - September 20th, 2020
- She has overcome anorexia - and dancer has now warned of government's 'dangerous' plan to tackle obesity - Manchester Evening News - September 20th, 2020
- A new routine to lose the Covid stone - Leitrim Observer - September 20th, 2020
- Want to get big arms and improve grip? This 3-move kettlebell arm workout is what you need - T3 - September 20th, 2020
- Walking to lose weight: how long, how many steps a day, at what pace ... All you need to know - POP TIMES UK - September 12th, 2020
- What is the CICO diet? All about the calories-in-calories-out diet - TODAY - September 12th, 2020
- Psoriatic Arthritis-Friendly Weight Loss Tips - Everyday Health - September 12th, 2020
- He wanted to join the US Army but wasn't fit. So he lost over 100 pounds. - yoursun.com - September 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss: The War on Fat | ITV News - ITV News - September 12th, 2020
- Weight loss is key to type 2 diabetes prevention and reversal - Diabetes.co.uk - September 12th, 2020
- Five ways to reduce the calories in your favourite takeaway meal - MyLondon - September 12th, 2020
- Go Kyung Pyo explains the reason for his dramatic weight difference in two photos - allkpop - September 12th, 2020
- How to live longer: The 55p item that may lower risk of early death from cancer - Express - September 12th, 2020
- I Had a Heart Attack at 49, Went Vegan, and It Saved my Life - The Beet - September 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How High Knees Exercise Can Help You Lose Body Fat (Watch Video) - LatestLY - September 12th, 2020
- Veteran-Owned Battle Bars Honor Local Patriot Heroes with Every Purchase - Small Business Trends - September 12th, 2020
- Longbenton grandmother drops eight dress sizes after 'hating' what she saw in photos - Chronicle Live - September 12th, 2020
- At 82, My Grandmother Has Lost Her Husband And The World As She Knows It - BuzzFeed News - September 12th, 2020
- Trying to Lose Weight? Here are 6 Proteins to Enjoy and 3 to Avoid - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 8th, 2020
- Nutrisystem Launches Innovative Partner Plan to Encourage and Help Maintain Weight Loss - WFMZ Allentown - September 8th, 2020
- Losing Weight as a Couple Is the Secret to Shedding Pounds, Study Finds - Best Life - September 8th, 2020
- Jennifer Aniston was asked to lose weight if she wanted to stay on Friends - The News International - September 8th, 2020
- Piers Morgan says he needs to be 'shamed' into losing weight as he defends Kevin Pieterson's comments - Evening Standard - September 8th, 2020
- How to live longer: The fermented vegetable proven to reduce risk of early death - Express - September 8th, 2020
- Long Beach Poly's Ashton Sylve Wins Professional Boxing Debut - The562.org - September 8th, 2020
- How metformin works and why it's effective for type 2 diabetes - Business Insider India - September 8th, 2020
- The 18 Unhealthiest Breads on the Planet - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 8th, 2020
- Consumers Turn to Plant-Based Foods During the Pandemic - The Beet - September 8th, 2020
- Mikey Moon's health and fitness column: 'Miracles' too good to be true - Blackpool Gazette - September 8th, 2020
- Why sleep is so important for losing weight - The Conversation UK - September 5th, 2020
- How to lose weight: 71-year-old loses 62 pounds in 6 months - TODAY - September 5th, 2020
- Weight loss diet plan: 2 nutritionists share the ideal Indian diet plan to lose weight - Times of India - September 5th, 2020
- Losing weight with detox teas - Popular choices, health benefits and side effects - Times Now - September 5th, 2020
- My Mother-in-Law Told My 12-Year Old to Lose Weight and Fix Her Face - Slate - September 5th, 2020
- 5 Easy Ways to Detox in the Morning to Be Healthier All Day Long - The Beet - September 5th, 2020
- National Nutrition Week: Coconut oil can help you lose weight, build immunity and also get great skin... - Hindustan Times - September 5th, 2020
- Breastfeeding can help you lose pregnancy weight. Here's how - Times of India - September 5th, 2020
- Redditch councillor hoping his weight loss will also be his gain - Redditch Standard - September 5th, 2020
- Prairie Fare: Have You Avoided the 'Pandemic 15'? - Pierce County Tribune - September 5th, 2020
- After losing Brandon Williams, here's what the Arizona Wildcats' 2021 roster looks like - Arizona Daily Star - September 5th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How Spiderman Plank Exercise Can Help You Lose Belly Fat (Watch Video) - LatestLY - September 5th, 2020
- North-east care home given a month to make improvements after inspectors find residents are losing weight and at increased risk of falling - Press and... - September 5th, 2020
- RLC Labs, Inc., Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of All Lots of Nature-Throid and WP Thyroid with Current Expiry Due to Sub Potency - FDA.gov - September 5th, 2020
- Woman who lost four stone to get healthy found out she had a rare form of cancer - Belfast Live - September 5th, 2020
- I thought battling an eating disorder during an election year was tough. I had no idea how grueling recovery during a pandemic would be - CNN - September 5th, 2020
- Some of the worst nursing homes in the country are waitlisted for extra oversight - WKYT - September 5th, 2020
- Chadwick Boseman Gave 'Thoughtful Response' About Weight Loss Without Revealing Cancer Battle - International Business Times - September 3rd, 2020
- Heres how can you eat carbs and still lose weight - PINKVILLA - September 3rd, 2020
- Rebel Wilson shows off 40-pound weight loss in sexy $1,700 Gucci dress - The Sun - September 3rd, 2020
- Size 22 woman told she was too fat to conceive now has two kids - Metro.co.uk - September 3rd, 2020
- Secret weapon for dieters: Consuming your own fecal microbiome may help keep off the pounds - Study Finds - September 3rd, 2020
- You've heard of dieting, but what about reverse dieting? - The Independent - September 3rd, 2020
- The danger of obesity and coronavirus - centraljersey.com - September 3rd, 2020